PDA

View Full Version : Besting Epic Level Preparations

Feralventas
2013-04-11, 10:14 PM
Are there any known spells, powers, items, or creatures of which can normally allow one to act during someone else's Time Stop effect?

Keneth
2013-04-11, 10:22 PM
Well time stop only affects the caster (it doesn't actually slow things down), so acting during someone else's time stop would require one to be equally sped up. I don't recall there being anything (aside from divine intervention) that would allow you to act during that time, unless the caster itself changes the spell to affect other creatures.

Feralventas
2013-04-11, 10:25 PM
Would an Immediate Action Time-Stop or Temporal Acceleration effect suffice to essentially start a set of Meta-rounds?

Karnith
2013-04-11, 10:25 PM
It doesn't technically grant you the ability to act during someone else's time stop, and it's an Epic feat, but you should at least look at Spell Stowaway (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellStowaway) set to Time Stop.

kardar233
2013-04-11, 10:31 PM
If you get the Epic Feat Spell Stowaway (Time Stop) then you can act during the other person's Time Stop. You're still bound by the spell's effects, so you can't directly do anything to the other person, but it's a pretty good solution.

~EDIT~ Swordsage'd. This is the answer I got when I asked in the Q&A thread (that you share the rounds but can't affect each other) but it might be wrong.

Keneth
2013-04-11, 10:32 PM
Actually, Spell Stowaway might be the only thing that does allow you to act at the same time as the caster. Otherwise, even if you cast time stop as an immediate action or as a readied action in response to someone else's time stop, you're just gonna get your 1d4+1 rounds before the other caster finishes casting the spell.

Feralventas
2013-04-11, 10:44 PM
Excellent. Thank you all very much. I've a means of making use of this much more easily than I'd anticipated.

Adding a new question, will edit it to the starting post later.

Blindsight lets you see without seeing, but is still Sight. Is this blocked by material obstacles like walls or fog?

kardar233
2013-04-11, 10:52 PM
Excellent. Thank you all very much. I've a means of making use of this much more easily than I'd anticipated.

Adding a new question, will edit it to the starting post later.

Blindsight lets you see without seeing, but is still Sight. Is this blocked by material obstacles like walls or fog?

I'm pretty sure Blindsight requires LoE. There's an argument that Mindsight doesn't, but Blindsight definitely does.

Keneth
2013-04-12, 12:43 AM
I don't think blindsight has any particular reason to require LoE, I mean if it's based on echolocation, you'd probably be able to see around corners, though you wouldn't necessarily be able to see through walls. So I'm guessing it probably works more like a continuous spread effect. Not sure what the RAW say though, I've never thought about it before.

Feralventas
2013-04-12, 01:24 AM
I don't think blindsight has any particular reason to require LoE, I mean if it's based on echolocation, you'd probably be able to see around corners, though you wouldn't necessarily be able to see through walls. So I'm guessing it probably works more like a continuous spread effect. Not sure what the RAW say though, I've never thought about it before.

Pretty sure it's blindsense, rather than blindsight that works in sound/scent.

Keneth
2013-04-12, 01:29 AM
Some creatures have blindsight, the extraordinary ability to use a nonvisual sense (or a combination of such senses) to operate effectively without vision. Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation.

Blindsense can, of course, also work with sound or scent.

Karnith
2013-04-12, 07:25 AM
Blindsight requires Line of Effect. The relevant RAW (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#blindsightAndBlindsense):
Some creatures have blindsight, the extraordinary ability to use a nonvisual sense (or a combination of such senses) to operate effectively without vision. Such sense may include sensitivity to vibrations, acute scent, keen hearing, or echolocation. This ability makes invisibility and concealment (even magical darkness) irrelevant to the creature (though it still can’t see ethereal creatures and must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern that creature or object). This ability operates out to a range specified in the creature description.(Emphasis mine)

Keneth
2013-04-12, 08:48 AM
Right, I should have read the next sentence in the paragraph. I'm not at my best in the early morning. :smalltongue: