PDA

View Full Version : [Character Advice] Before You Say I Stole This Idea, Let Me Explain You A Thing

Deth Muncher
2013-04-12, 01:39 AM
So, there was a recent thread about someone wanting to play a Kamen Rider type character. And wouldn't know know it, I love that nonsense, so I got to thinking of dumb things you could do. But then, it looked like we'd solved his question, so no more need to go about thinking about this, right?

And then it happened - someone I'm friends with announces he's going to start a campaign. And it's an EVIL campaign to boot, starting at Level 5.

"Hoo buddy," I thought. "Evil Power Ranger? I'm okay with this."

And so I've been thinking about how to make this work most effectively. Now, I want you guys' input on things because I'm trying to figure out how to most effectively work this idea out where it's still silly, it's still fun to play, but has at least a modicum of optimization to it, as apparently the DM likes to have moderately high-powered games.

Now, I was told that our characters will be aligning with one of several major factions who are going at war with each other, and will thus be able to requisition items. I'd mentioned that if I do this character, I'd really like to get my hands on the Oni/Demon Armor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#demonArmor) (depending on if you get it from the 3.0 Oriental Adventures book or the 3.5 DMG, it does the same thing, it's just about 10k different, between 46-56k). His response was "That shouldn't be too far outside the realms of possibility." Okay. So. That's cool. I know that we've got a rather large treasury to pull from as Level 5 characters, which is GREAT. But I don't want to count on that just yet, so for the moment I'm limiting myself to the regular 9k allotted to a L5 character for sure -but, looking back, while the d10 damage is pretty near, the Contagion effect is kinda weak, and with no real way to upgrade it, it's basically not terribly useful, so let's assume that we've got a 56k wishlist above and beyond what is normally allotted, maybe.

Now, as to the actual build. I have two thoughts about this, and they both go in vastly different ways.

Build 1
The first idea is to go Fighter/Kensai - why? Because janktons of bonus feats, that's why. "But Deth!" you say, "You've been here long enough to know that Fighter is a dumb choice! What in the 9 hells are you doing?" Well, you'd be right, random Playgrounder, but for the fact that the precise reason I want those bonus feats is to compensate for a feat or two I want to take - namely, Dragon Cohort and/or Wild Cohort. The DM has said "no infinite Leadership shenanigans," but has expressed no distaste for non-infinite things like this. So. I'm thinking if I went Fighter/Kensai, I end up trying to get a Red Dragon and Dust Twister from Sandstorm. The earliest I could get a Red Dragon of any flavor (in this case, a Wyrmling) is at level 8. Now, technically speaking you can't get an Elemental companion via Wild Cohort, but the DM has said he's open to some loose interpretations of things. You all know of the Complete Mage Druid variant that allows you to get an Elemental companion, so following those rules, and given that a Dust Twister is listed as Medium sized, the earliest I could reasonably finagle one is at level 7. (Wild Cohort treats you as a Druid of three levels lower, and you get medium elementals with that variant at level 4. SO.) Soooo, let's remember that one of the prereqs for Kensai is 5 ranks in Ride, right? And Dust Twisters can allow you to ride in them. And have a 60ft groundspeed. (And hey, they can fly fairly slowly too!) Alternately, the dragon would be able to carry me in a few levels when it hits Large size (since Red Dragon Wyrmlings are Medium creatures for gods know why).

So the build could look something like this: Human Fighter5/KensaiX/FighterY, with feat allocation being something like...
Human Bonus: Combat Expertise
FB1:WF(something two-handed)
1:Power Attack
FB2:Mounted Combat
3:Cleave
FB4:Ride-By Attack
6: Wild Cohort (doesn't do anything for a level)
FB6:???
FB8:???
9: Dragon Cohort
FB10:???
And so on. (I don't really make martial characters, which is why this is, uh, hard for me. I'm a sorceror-only guy up until now.)

Why Kensai? I like the idea of a weapon that grows with you, dislike the Legacy Weapon shenanigans, and have been thinking of some really neat things to do with this. So, let's say I have a...Greatsword. Sure. So the first thing I do with my Kensai powers is throw Morphing on it. Why? Because now, I've got a Heavy Crossbow when I need it - and I plan on stocking up on Brilliant Energy bolts. Because Power Ranger, remember? I can do some other standard silly things, like Throwing/Returning/what have you, of course, but the versatility of having whatever I need right there is mighty nice. Plus, I've got fire support (literally) via my dragon buddy. As to equipment, I could easily go for some sort of fun armor like Mechanus Gear, since I know that planar transport isn't going to be a big issue, and pimp it out to do all fun sorts of things.

Or, there's Build 2.
I feel slightly lame for this one but...uh...what about just straight up Hellfire Glaivelock? Like, it's not terribly inventive, but you give one of these guys some nice light armor (maybe something with Displacement? That's gotta be an enchantment somewhere) and you're gonna be doing some serious hurt. Not to mention, with that extra cash laying around, I can invest in some of those nice Rods to boost random evocations as needed, or equipment to let me get away as need be (Anklets of Translocation, that sort of thing).

So. What're your thoughts on this? Am I being entirely dumb about this? I like both of these ideas, and they both feel good, but...given my lack of expertise on melee, I'd like opinions from people who do normally do that.