PDA

View Full Version : "Under the Red Sky" IC Pathfinder E6

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Stormageddon
2013-09-05, 11:43 AM
You follow her directions to a small waiting room. In the room you seen two couches, a coffee table and some books on the table. Other than that there isn't a whole a lot of decoration to the room. You wait for about a hour until a man in purple silk and an insignia of a white tree comes and orders you to follow him.

You follow him to another lift. The man orders the lift to level 32. When you get off the lift you enter into a long room with a large rectangle table. 5 men sit around the table. Their conversation cuts off abruptly when you enter the room. The man sitting at the head of the table acknowledges you.

"My name is Jon, I'm the master of this tower. I understand that you think you can assist you with a problem?"

BarnabasBailey
2013-09-07, 11:33 PM
"My Lord," Maechus said with a respectful bow, "apologies are in order; had someone told us you were in some manner of business, we should have gladly waited. After all, the requests of a few petty soldiers of fortune doubtless matter little in the wider scheme of thing." After a second's consideration, Maechus decided not to mention that they were really seeking asylum for potential charges of high treason. "I and my group of companions here came to offer our services to Your Lordship's court. You see, we heard that certain affairs trouble you, and that you seek the steel of adventurers in order to resolve it. Is this not so?"

Stormageddon
2013-09-09, 01:07 AM
"Yes that is so" He looks around the room "If you good gents would please leave my new friends and I have some business to talk about." The others grumble, but get up and leave the room.

"Sorry about that, never know who you can trust these days.... Anyway you and gentlemen and gentle lady have been making some waves since you entered the city earlier today." He smiles "Perhaps you can help me out. Recently a new drug has been popping up on the streets of New Orcus; they are calling it "Push." Lots of people that have been known to use Push have been showing up dead lately. Normally I would just send the Blackblades in and send those responsible off to the nearest widowless room, but every time they try to get close the Den is moved. Leads me to believe that someone within the Blackblades is tipping them off.... If you choose to accept this mission you will be well paid for your service to the city I assure you. Plus you will given a wide space on how you carry out shutting down this Drug ring. What do you think?

Saidoro
2013-09-10, 10:58 AM
Kona snapped a quick curtsy as Jon addressed the group, a smile making its way to her face as he mentioned their reputation. Clearly progress was being made.
We would be happy to help, Lord. What can you tell us about those responsible?

Smileybastard
2013-09-10, 09:44 PM
Tysalat

I am always happy to help others.

White_Drake
2013-09-10, 10:00 PM
Caelain listens to the lord intently, but lets his allies do the talking for the moment.

BarnabasBailey
2013-09-11, 10:11 PM
Maechus was wary. Not for any logical reason, mind, but more out of sheer attrition. His experiences thus far with this adventure told him that he was not to trust anyone who was alive and capable of painting him as a criminal. He could feel the weight of Vaul's dagger on his belt like a lead weight, and the evidence of treason in his pack was no less heavy. This was either going to be a way out of the noose, or else another black-bagged man lining up for execution.

"My Lord flatters us. I share my colleagues willingness to serve."

Stormageddon
2013-09-12, 01:10 AM
"Not much is known about the actual offenders, but there is a contact that seems to know a bit named Ned Sagur. He's known to be a patron of the Hungry Halfling inn. I would suggest you start their. Thank you for your service to this city!"

White_Drake
2013-09-12, 04:52 AM
Caelain respectfully inclines his head.
Certainly.

Stormageddon
2013-09-22, 11:25 PM
"Please bring back proof when the job is complete. If there is anything I can do to help you in this task over the next couple of days please let me know. Good luck you!"

With that he nods to the door dismissing you.

White_Drake
2013-09-23, 01:06 AM
Caelain swiftly exits the room and begins making his way back towards the city streets.
Well, that went well. Fairly simple job, really, after all, I have worked with both criminals and narcotics before.

BarnabasBailey
2013-09-23, 07:59 PM
Maechus looked to Caelain with a momentary burst of genuine surprise. Narcotics he could understand, but he had not pegged his comrade for someone who rubbed elbows with criminals. "Should we be bowing to your expertise, then, Mister Blackbottle? I will be the first to admit that I have never really seen a criminal. Raiders, drunkards and enemies of the state, but not..." Oh, wait, he thought to himself, remembering his own predicament.

He shook off the thought with a dismissive hand. "Very well. We should be on the lookout for this Mister Sagur. Is there anything we need to do before we go off? I cannot think of anything pressing."

Saidoro
2013-09-24, 11:23 PM
Well we should probably find someone to take those extra swords and mails first, right? I mean it would be a bit... Kona grapples briefly with the new found problem of saying something would look suspicious without actually saying that its looking suspicious would be an issue. Odd to keep it any longer than we had to, right?

BarnabasBailey
2013-09-25, 06:37 PM
"I nearly forgot. We left them in the cart, no?" Maechus had an idea. Hopping into the back of the cart, he began to fiddle with the rapier at his hip. He reached for one of the fake guards' rapiers, held it up to the light. It felt heavy in his hands. Why did everything feel like lead weights around him lately? His eyes went down to the black painted longsword. "It would probably be best to hold onto that one until we can get the paint off," he muttered to himself as he placed his own sword on the pile of equipment. "Some polish and a night's work should do the job." He looked back at the group. "To the market first, then, or should we divide ourselves up and do whatever we feel is appropriate?"

Stormageddon
2013-09-27, 12:27 PM
You trace you steps back to the market by the North Gate. You see your friend the orc has been hanged in the center of the market. Many people are standing around talking in hush whispers about the copse. Business in the market has a wide range of goods and services.

White_Drake
2013-09-27, 12:30 PM
Caelain's upper lip curls back in distaste at the sight of the orc.
How gauche.

Saidoro
2013-09-27, 11:59 PM
Kona didn't quite understand Caelain's choice of vocabulary, but she carried his point easily enough. The few times the farm had come under attack the assailants had been burned off quickly enough and their ashes had been dumped in the river or otherwise disposed of quickly and without malice. Leaving the orc to hang in the square struck her as off somehow.

Still, there was work to do. Kona set about ignoring the orc and looking for someone who might be interested in weapons and armor.
Diplomacy:[roll0]

Smileybastard
2013-09-28, 03:06 PM
Tysalat

"Sadly, all too common in this world."

Stormageddon
2013-09-30, 12:01 PM
Kona didn't quite understand Caelain's choice of vocabulary, but she carried his point easily enough. The few times the farm had come under attack the assailants had been burned off quickly enough and their ashes had been dumped in the river or otherwise disposed of quickly and without malice. Leaving the orc to hang in the square struck her as off somehow.

Still, there was work to do. Kona set about ignoring the orc and looking for someone who might be interested in weapons and armor.

you wander around the market for a while talking to people. When you come upon a merchant looking to arm his guards. You haggle with him a bit but come out on top he agreeds to pay your asking price.

Saidoro
2013-09-30, 06:30 PM
After unloading the gear and eagerly stashing away the gold Kona circulated the market and made a few purchases that once would have seemed vast but now merely seemed useful. Soon enough she returned to her companions, ready to get going.
So, off to the Hungry Halfling then?
Buying 100' silk rope(20 gp), 200' twine(4cp), 3 pints lamp oil(3sp), two ioun torches(75 gp ea.) and one vial unguent of timelessness(150gp) total 320 gp from party fund, 3 sp and 4 cp from Kona's Fund

White_Drake
2013-10-01, 10:52 PM
I suppose.

Stormageddon
2013-10-02, 02:42 PM
You manage to navigate your way to the Hungry Halfling by asking directions from the locals. The locals give you dark looks but give the directions willingly.

The outside of the Hungry Halfling you see the sign that gives the Inn it's name a Halfling that seems to be eating it's weight in food. The noise from the Inn can be heard from a block away. It's a deafening mixture of cheering, music, and fighting. You arrive just in time to see a patron of the Inn come flying through a widow that looks like it's been fixed multiple times.

Saidoro
2013-10-04, 12:21 AM
Appraising the Hungry Halfling, Kona was struck by its uncanny resemblance to the Inn her brothers often frequented on nights off back home. A few more scorch marks and it would be almost indistinguishable.
She cautiously approaches the door, examining the newly defenestrated patron as she does so.

Stormageddon
2013-10-04, 02:58 AM
The man drunkenly gets to his feet and stumbles back into the Inn much to the the enjoyment of the goers of the Inn.

White_Drake
2013-10-04, 07:12 AM
Caelain stares at the tavern for a long beat before stating in a dry tone:
Charming establishment.

BarnabasBailey
2013-10-04, 04:05 PM
"It seems like whenever something annoying happens, alcohol is somehow involved." Maechus sighed, adjusting his new sword belt. "I suppose there is little point in staying outside. Let's get ourselves some information."

With that, Maechus entered the tavern and made his way over to the bar. A few discreet questions, and they should have their fix on this Ned fellow. How difficult could it be?

Stormageddon
2013-10-06, 06:24 PM
The chaotic impression you got from the outside of the Inn is mirrored and doubled. The most random assortment of people seem to be enjoying themselves at a variety of activities. The man who you saw thrown through the window has rejoined a group playing some sort of card game as if nothing had happened. A human couple are making out in the corner the female seems to be richly dressed while the male seems to to have the appearance of a dock worker.

a group of elves and dwarves are sitting around the bar. They seem to having an argument and cheering at the same time. They seem to to be speaking a mixture of elven and dwarven.

the tables are also chaotic a couple are tipped over while a few are neat and orderly.

people are drinking, arm wrestling and toasting each other.

a ugly man sits by a fire nicely dressed with a crew of men seem to be keeping an eye on everyone.

Saidoro
2013-10-13, 01:14 AM
Kona followed quite closely behind Maechus as he entered the bar for a matched set of reasons. The first was that she wanted to be able to intervene quickly if someone tried to throw him through a window. The other was that she was unsure if calling up fire in a crowded tavern would be looked upon kindly and she wanted him to be able to intervene quickly if someone tried to throw her out a window. Or otherwise.
Surveying the room, Kona focuses eventually on the ugly man by the fire. It made sense to her that an informant would be keeping an eye on things. She speaks as softly to Maechus as the dim of the room will permit and gestures as subtly as she can.
Him, do you think? Or someone else?
Taking ten on a bluff check to pass hidden messages, to indicate who she's talking about to Maechus. He understands and anyone else needs to make a DC 22 sense motive check to intercept.

BarnabasBailey
2013-10-24, 10:04 PM
Maechus fought the urge to turn around. He knew himself too well; any effort on his part to be subtle around here would be a wasted effort. He was already concerned that he lacked the sort of rough facade that a place like this seems to cater to.

"We could always ask the bartender in a pinch, but I'd say it's likely so," he replied, his back to as much of the room as possible as he spared a glance back outside and banked on his voice not carrying over the din of the room any farther than Kona's ears. "How were we planning to proceed, Miss Briggs? I fear I hadn't planned on taking the subtle route; if you have an idea, it would probably be prudent for me to follow your lead." He cocked an ear to the table where the elves and dwarves were arguing. He was able to pick up at least half of the conversation, but he probably was going to regret his curiosity. In his experience, arguing folks in the middle of their cups seldom had anything productive to say.

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-25, 05:24 PM
"If subtlety is your goal and not your strong point, in a place like this you might be best off openly asking around for someone who can get information discretely and letting them do the heavy lifting. It gives a good excuse to why you're here and makes the questions harder to track back to you." replies a third party.

The voice comes from next to the pair, down just below the level of Kona's hips, from a hearty looking halfling. The girl is dressed simply and ruggedly, and clad in well tailored armor, scaled in a pattern that reminds you of the kobolds from back on the road to New Orcus. It is difficult to tell which of the various odds and ends hanging off of her are arms and which are simply survival gear, but it is clear that there is more weight to the load than the person effortlessly carrying it.

"Then again, the people most skilled at finding out information would probably come to you after you start looking anyway. One of you is far too good looking to be a regular here, and you don't seem to be quite as... amorous as that pair in the corner." she adds with a smile.

Between overpowering gusts of alcohol laced breath and pipe smoke at there level the scent of fresh soap wafts from below, and the girls fair complexion and tightly braided brown hair seem to be a few shades cleaner than most in the bar, with the exception of the higher classed woman in the corner.

Saidoro
2013-10-26, 11:24 AM
Not quite, no.
Kona responded without really thinking, as she processed the newcomer's sudden introduction.
So you're saying you're good at finding information? And you want to do the heavy lifting?
Kona sounded incredulous at the last point, someone randomly approaching and offering to help just as they needed it seemed rather improbable to her.

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-26, 01:47 PM
"If you're who I think you are, then I'd say I'm very good at it." the halfling replied, pointedly staring at Maechus' longsword. "Want is a bit of a strong word, willing is better. I'm willing to do the heavy lifting, on your coin, if you're willing to trade some information for what I find out. I'll be at the bar, if you need a moment to check with anyone else..."

With that, the diminutive eavesdropper starts off into the forest of pant legs.

BarnabasBailey
2013-10-26, 10:52 PM
Maechus exchanged a glance with Kona, momentarily betraying his emotion. What did she mean by that? Just what, and how much of what, did this halfling know about their movements? The young man was hardly dealing well with the stress of having an empire over his head, and it was things like this that fed the niggling paranoia that was keeping him up nights.

His expression hardened as he tried to follow the stranger to the bar. "A moment, I pray," he said, taking a seat and inviting her to sit beside him. "I fear that I only know how to speak frankly, so I apologize if I offend. It's just that I've been having a rather unlucky couple of weeks. I recently had to contend with the loss of a man I counted among my friends. A man who, sadly, was either caught in the cruel machinations of terrible rogues or shamelessly lying to me and mine in order to betray us later. Either way, it tends to make a man weary of double-talk and innuendo. To the chase, then. Who are you, and what do you claim to know about us?"

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-27, 09:54 AM
Demetre frowned at the implications the swordsman's confessions presented. "So it was more than simply going your separate ways after all, then. I'll tell you what I know, but if you're worried about the plots of rogues is this the best place to have details of your travels laid bare?" she questions, pointedly motioning to the rabble the trio found themselves in the middle of.

Saidoro
2013-10-28, 11:28 AM
Kona glared at the smaller woman. It seemed the right thing to do. Her father had always glared at those merchants he felt were giving him a bad deal but whose commerce he still needed and it had always seemed to work out for him.
Perhaps not every detail, no. But we would like to know how much you know and why you came to tell us of it.

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-28, 01:15 PM
"Alright then." the halfling concedes, climbing up the stool beside the swordsman before relaying what she knows... in one exhausting breath. "Maechus and yourself were traveling with three others, a doctor, an armored priest, and another man that liked to tell stories. You were part of a caravan belonging to a halfling named Vaul that was attacked. At a stopover at an outpost you had a run-in with some undead. Earlier today, four of you arrived in the city and were pointed towards the Ivory Tower but never arrived there." After taking a gasp of breath, she continues to chatter. "I need to find out what went on at that outpost, and it seems you four were the only ones that were there to see it."

White_Drake
2013-10-28, 02:46 PM
Caelain looks down at the halfling.
Now, more importantly, how did you come to possess this information?

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-28, 03:22 PM
The look crossing the halfling's face is one the doctor is used to making, when a question comes across as too easy to even warrant asking. "A member of your group was telling the tale of your battle at that outpost pub for three hours straight, you received help here from the biggest braggart of a merchant Oston has ever produced... and you're asking me how I managed to get that information?"

She looks down and shakes her head before continuing. "It's after that that your trail went cold. Weird that before, a deaf and blind kobold could track your group and then... you just vanished. I've nearly gone broke trolling places like this to figure out where you went."

Saidoro
2013-10-29, 10:28 PM
Kona smiled slightly in relief, it would seem the strange halfling didn't know anything truly dangerous.
We'd be happy enough to tell you about the outpost, but we're somewhat to busy at the moment to do so. We're here looking for someone named Ned Sagur, we need some information and have heard he may know a thing or two..

Johnny_Blades
2013-10-29, 11:02 PM
"Well, if it helps speed things up... since you already know where to look the fastest way to get him pointed out would be to make friends with the bartender. Between some of you being a fairly pretty bunch and hopefully having the coin for some generous tipping it shouldn't take very long." the halfling offers with a shrug. "Do you lot have this, or do you need someone to help break the ice?"

Saidoro
2013-11-01, 10:38 PM
"After you."
Kona gestured vaguely outwards, indicating the halfling to lead the way.

Johnny_Blades
2013-11-04, 09:57 AM
The halfling leads the way to the bar, pausing every couple of steps to let the larger folk maneuver around the torsos she so rarely needed to contend with. She scrambles up an open stool at the bar and orders a round for herself and her friends, motioning for the party behind her to pay for the fare.

"This is a pretty rowdy place, and I've been to more pubs than I can count. It must take alot of work and talent to keep things running smoothly, how do you manage it?" Demi asks the bartender, trying to strike up a rapport and encouraging the others to jump in as well.

Attempting to improve the bartenders mood towards the group, and actively trying to get them to assist in the effort.

Managed a roll of 18 for myself, not sure how many of the party will pitch in yet though.

Stormageddon
2013-11-05, 01:21 AM
The bartender brings you some drinks.

"5 copper. The truth be told this place pays for itself. These people come here to relax. They have a good time and tip well.... And we keep 2 mean bouncers in the back just in case someone steps over the line."

Saidoro
2013-11-06, 12:44 AM
"It's a fine place," Kona agrees, handing over the coppers. "We were told we might find Ned Sagur here, but find him or no it will have been worth the trip."
Aid another, I guess?

White_Drake
2013-11-06, 01:01 AM
Caelain takes his drink and hands over the money in silence while looking intently at the newcomer, sizing her up.

Stormageddon
2013-11-07, 02:46 PM
"Oh lass, I best recommend that you stay away from that one. He's a shady one, but it's your funeral. If you're looking for him he is right over there surrounded by his grunts."

He points to the ugly man that is surround by a gang of ugly if uglier than himself.

Johnny_Blades
2013-11-09, 12:45 PM
Demi can't help but state the obvious. "Wow... that's alot of ugly. So, now that you know who he is, what next?"

Saidoro
2013-11-09, 11:15 PM
"Convenient. Thank you." Kona turns away from the bartender, holding her drink close. "Try the direct approach, I suppose."

Kona makes her way through the press of the crowd, directly approaching Ned's crew.

Stormageddon
2013-11-11, 03:12 AM
"Hey now look what we got here!" One of Ned's more ugly henchman shoots at your approach. "You've comes to party with us?" Says another in a voice that screams HEY LOOK I'M STUPID.

Saidoro
2013-11-11, 01:33 PM
Destructive urges flashed through Kona's mind, remembering the inept guards who had cared more about their amusements than reports of death. Still, these fools were unassociated with that, and Maechus had demonstrated a far more effective technique than burning them where they stood.
"With you?" Kona draws close to the lackey, one hand on the front of his shirt, the other holding her drink to the side. "Not tonight." With a hissing sound and the smell of smoke, Kona sidesteps around the thug, pushing against him slightly through the flash of heat and revealing a hand shaped hole in his tunic, the edges singed black. "Fine as they are apart, ash and ale mix poorly." The girl took a draw of her drink as she pulled around a chair next to Ned's.
"You're Ned Sagur, yes? What can you tell me about Push?"

Intimidate on the thug, flame jet as a touch attack on his shirt:[roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-11-12, 03:22 PM
The thug face turns ashen as he looks down at the newly made hole.

"Owww what the..."

Ned speaks up looking amused at the abuse done to his thug.

"A woman who gets right to the point, I like that. However, I don't know you, and I don't like that."

Saidoro
2013-11-12, 09:59 PM
"I'm Kona. And I'm from out of town, which is likely why you don't know me. So now you know, would you care to return the favor?"

Stormageddon
2013-11-13, 01:39 AM
He seems amused by your story.

"The names Ned. Girl, New to the city, comes to old Ned looking for Push. Seems an unlikely story. And what makes you think that I know anything about it love?

Saidoro
2013-11-13, 11:59 PM
"You've said yourself that you don't like being in the dark, you're well situated to observe all that goes on in one of the city's more disreputable taverns, most of the patrons, many of whom would have poor judgement even if they weren't drunk, are giving you a wide berth save for these few gentlemen who I assume you do not keep about for their wit and candor and even the barkeep seems wary of you. Regardless of where I first heard the rumor it's fairly clear that even if you don't know anything yourself you may know someone who does."

Stormageddon
2013-11-14, 12:20 PM
Sense Motive [roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-11-14, 12:22 PM
"Hmmmm what is it you wish to know from old Ned little girl?"

Saidoro
2013-11-15, 11:11 PM
Kona doesn't pause to consider, she doesn't know where this man stands on the drug so she slants her questions towards the ambiguous.
"I'd like to know a bit more about what it does, I've heard rumors and interesting ones at that but nothing concrete. And I'd like to know where to get it."
Bluff:[roll0]

Stormageddon
2013-11-17, 01:23 PM
"It wakes you up! That's what it does. It makes all your problems seem like nothing. One hit and you'll be flying high! I might know a guy that could get you some."

He looks at you expectantly.

Saidoro
2013-11-17, 10:49 PM
Kona decides to take a risk, hoping that the others would follow along if needed.
"I'd love to meet him. When and where?"

Stormageddon
2013-11-19, 02:51 AM
"I'll tell you what if you're serious. Met me behind the inn in one hour. I'll bring you to him"

Saidoro
2013-11-21, 01:12 AM
"I am and I'll be there."
Kona rose and slowly made her way back to the bar, eager to not seem eager. She took another draw of her drink and then informed the others of how the conversation had gone.

Stormageddon
2013-11-30, 10:04 PM
A hour goes by and you go to meet your drug contact outside of the building as you were told.

You find him out back with a gang of 6 men.

"... What's with your friends? I didn't know this was going to be a group affair?"