PDA

View Full Version : Logical help with a build

KillerKommando
2013-04-12, 03:35 AM
Been doing a bit of reading throughout a few books and websites to determine the type of character I want to build. My DM is playing by 3.5 SRD rules, with general oversights as long as they're not wholly unbelievable. She's playing gestalt rules, auto max HD per level, and a 24 point-buy ability system. We have access to all the Planes, and various races nearby (dwarves, elves, orcs, humans, etc.) Everyone levels at the same time, and there's no penalty for multiclassing.

So lets get the basics out of the way. I'm starting with a Janni race for a PC (DM ok'd that part already), here's the character table and info for reference: www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm

The class is going to be a Rogue 7/Ranger 11 gestalt with focus on melee and social/thief skills, following with a Shadowdancer 10 prestige class. Looking at Fighter 2 for bonus feats, although I'm open to suggestions here. This basically gives me Sneak attack, trapfinding, and uncanny dodge bonuses from Rogue (+ skill point boosts over Ranger) and TWF feat tree, favored enemies +3, animal companion, 1d8 HD, and martial weapons proficiency through Ranger, finally hide in plain sight, darkvision permanent, shadow jump, summon shadow and shadow illusion from Shadowdancer.

Now, I start with my ability mods including racial base and outsider levels at +3 STR, +6 DEX, +1 CON, +6 INT, +3 WIS, +4 CHA. That gives me access to 126 outsider skill levels, all available languages to learn, 3 feats to start, and a bunch of racial goodies that I'll get into later.

Feat-wise; I'm starting with Improved Initiative (bonus), Weapon Focus and Greater WF: Rapier, Track (bonus), Weapon Finesse, and Improved Criticals. As I grow in levels, I'll take Dodge and Mobility for Shadowdancer prereq's. Later on I'll unlock the TWF tree for free via Ranger class. Intention being that I'm going to dual-wield rapiers (taking the penalty to hit for off-hand) and offset it with my Dex modifier Finesse and Focus feats.

Here's where I start having some troubles. My character can plane shift and survive on the elemental planes. With that in mind, I plan to put points into Craft: Weaponsmithing and Craft: Jewelry. Intention being that since I can freely travel to the Earth Plane, I have near unlimited access to metals like adamantine and mithral. With weaponsmithing, I can make my own weapons out of either one. When I need to forge it, I can travel to the Fire Plane. When I need to cool it off, I can jump to the Water Plane.

As for jewelry, I'm not positive on this and it might be best to ask my DM, but it can't hurt to pose the question;

1) can you enchant jewelry? Or does it need to be found already enchanted? If I can plane shift and pluck diamonds that our party's wizard can enchant, it's basically and cheap and dirty route to getting better classes of items.

So yeah, any thoughts on this particular build? I'll throw up the other skills and actual levels I chose when I get home if requested (don't have my character sheet on me :( ). In the end, I'm looking to thwart possible wrenches in the game and in my character, so I'm open to suggestions if you think something might work better instead of what I've outlined (or forgotten).