PDA

View Full Version : android cellphone.. how to "lock" the current apps and widgets in place

dehro
2013-04-12, 06:16 AM
my dad is 70, has little patience for the latest developments of technology (meaning that if something is meant to do something when you push a button once, he'll push that button any number of times until said thing is happening).. doesn't really "get" android technology and is completely lost at sea when you mention things like whatsapp or similar stuff (also, he forgets eternally to check his text messages)..
and he has parkinson's, giving him a case of the trembly hand when he's frustrated (which happens when he's struggling with technology).. and a lack of focus on things that he doesn't really care about.

now he went and bought himself a new samsung cellphone :smallmad:..one of those things that are more like a tiny tablet, by the size of it.
I've put the relevant apps and widgets and such on his "desktop" for him, and on one or two windows/screens (not sure what the correct term is)..
trouble is that he'll touch stuff rather randomly and forever move, add, delete stuff he didn't mean to touch in the first place. moving stuff about is really easy on these phones..even without the parkinson and frustration.
so.. is there an app or some other feature that allows me to kind of "freeze the settings" as they are unless you put a password somewhere or at least answer to a confirmation request that indeed you intend to modify or remove an app from where it is?
something like how you can block the toolbar on your PC to prevent accidental modifications to it.

Xuc Xac
2013-04-13, 10:21 PM
Some launchers have a "lock desktop" option in the settings. If the phone's stock launcher doesn't have it, you can install something like Nova Launcher. That will also allow you to make bigger icons and put fewer of them on each screen, so it will be easier for him to hit the icons with shaky fingers.

dehro
2013-04-14, 08:30 AM
Some launchers have a "lock desktop" option in the settings. If the phone's stock launcher doesn't have it, you can install something like Nova Launcher. That will also allow you to make bigger icons and put fewer of them on each screen, so it will be easier for him to hit the icons with shaky fingers.
thanks.. I'll look into it