PDA

View Full Version : What Character Development does the Order need to win?

Kaurne
2013-04-12, 11:18 AM
In this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14842223#post14842223) post, The Giant says that:

If someone wants to make the argument that the Order hasn't had enough character growth to beat Xykon, that would be a wholly different conversation.

So? What character growth do the Order of the Stick need? Here are my thoughts.

Roy: Roy has so far seen his goals and views on those goals transform quite drastically. Initially, the OotS were simply a means for him to fulfil the Blood Oath, which was his reason for fighting Xykon; the only one he could be said to actually like and respect was probably Durkon. Over time, he has changed so that now, he's stopping Xykon because the guy is a threat to the whole world, not because of the Blood Oath. He's also become more appreciative of the Order as a team.

However, I think Roy still sees it as his job to stop Xykon, with the rest of the team helping. Roy needs to come to understand that it will be the entire group stopping Xykon; he might be the leader of the team but he's still only a part of the whole, and its that unified whole that will stop Xykon.

In addition, Roy needs to change his attitude towards Elan. He has, over time, come to trust Haley to act in the interests of the team rather than her own interest. While previously she was only nominally second-in-command, now she definitely is. He now needs to come to trust that Elan, within his own area, is just as useful to the team as other members. Roy still regards him as an amusing hanger-on who helps the team more through being lucky than through skill. And yes, Elan is lucky; but he's also a decent fighter (especially with Dashing Swordsman), a capable spellcaster, and can use his knowledge of tropes and cliches to great effect. Roy needs to acknowledge all of this.

I think this will start coming soon. Elan is the only spellcaster that the team has left. If they need healing, he's going to be the one to do it. Perhaps his skill with illusions will enable the team to survive their next battle. I certainly expect him to once again beat his brother in a fight, but he needs to do more than that; he needs to be both integral to the teams short term success in the coming fight and to their strategic success in preventing either Tarquin or Xykon seizing the gate. This, in turn, will make Roy start to appreciate him better.

Durkon: I'm not going to comment on Durkon, because too much of it depends on the exact circumstances of the finale to this arc. I personally think Malack is going to get killed and that Durkon will be an independent vampire, but his exact alignment, whether he immediately rejoins the order or follows them to the Dwarven homelands... these things make predictions impossible.

I will say that I think that Durkon does need SOME character growth before the final battle, where he will presumably be on the side of the Order. What that is, I don't know.

Haley: I'm not really sure what character growth haley needs. She's had a lot, so far, so maybe she doesn't need much more. I think what remains of it needs to be to do with her father, but I really don't see how she can change more. Perhaps she has to convince him that Elan is a good person, but I don't see how that changes her too much. To be honest, I think that Haley is almost done in terms of character growth.

Vaarsuvius: V is an interesting one. Originally True Neutral, [s]he has taken a strong turn towards Evil recently. The remorse [s]he is showing over this will certainly lead to character growth. Recently she has realised that the flashiest, most powerful solution is not the best. Now I think [s]he's going to understand that actions have consequences, but we can also deal with those consequences. Essentially, V is at the point where [s]he may well be, strictly speaking, 'Evil' now, but [s]he's also the closest [s]he's ever been to becoming truly Good.

I cetainly think [s]he'll learn, possibly in the next few strips, that [s]he cannot simply allow remorse and self-pity to overcome him/her; [s]he needs to go out an act to prevent more bad things happening. Shortly after, she'll realise that she could, possibly, atone for what she has done; spend her life helping out the families of those she killed and, if Familicide allows ressurections, paying for said ressurections.

I can see this going hand in hand with V become an even more versatile and strategic comabatant, but we've already seen most of that development, as we have seen him/her learn that being the most powerful member of the team doesn't make the rest of the team beneath him/her or less useful. That development is ongoing, almost finished, and will take a backseat to other developments.

Elan: Elan, simply put, needs to learn to stand up to Roy more. He respects and likes Roy; in fact, he considers him a brother. But this view means he simply accepts Roy not trusting him to be a contributing member of the team. Elan needs to both prove he can contribute to Roy and then demand that Roy use him to his fullest potential.

Elan also has to deal with his father. This, I think, will be a plot development more than a character one; but it will also include Elan rejecting his familial ties in favour of his ties to the Order, his surrogate family.

Belkar: Belkar is simple; he needs to die. He is doomed to die anyway, but he needs to die for the order to succeed. Despite his 'faking character growth' seemingly becoming real, the simple fact is that Belkar is far too evil (not the alignment kind) to be a proper part of the Order as it faces Xykon for the final time. This leads on to...

The Order: The Order needs to be a close knit team of memebers devoted to the task at hand. On one level, this means wrapping up Haley's and Elan's subplots with their fathers so that they can enter the final battle not worried about other things. On another level, this means they need to remove any internal conflict. This is why Belkar needs to go; him being a foil might be good comedy and all, but its preventing the group from fully uniting. Durkon's whole vamnpirism thing needs to be worked out one way or another, but like I said that's still up in the air.

The Order will have to come to terms that they are the closest thing each of them have to a family. Roy, while he does love his sister, isn't really connected to her and the rest of his family has passed n (although he does have his girlfriend Celia). Haley is now, even if not in his mind, estranged from Ian, and while she might make decisions for his good, and might even convince him that Elan is a good man, she has closer ties to the Order than to him.

Elan needs to deal with his concern over fighting both Nale and Tarquin, which will likely happen as one or both of them is defeated by the end of the book. Vaarsuvius has already accepted Inkyrius taking the children; now [s]he must accept the Order as another family. Durkon, again, I'm not sure about, although it may be that even if he becomes a Good vampire (can those even exist?) he will be rejected by his family in his homelands.

The Order, essentially, needs to become far more close-knit than it currently is to achieve victory. The current trials they are facing will probably be the catalyst that prompt this development, leading to their eventual success.

That's just my thoughts. Anyone else got anything they wish to refute/discuss/suggest?

jidasfire
2013-04-12, 11:49 AM
I think most of what you say here is interesting, and there may be something to some of it. However, I do think your slant on Belkar is somewhat skewed. If your notion is that anyone evil just won't fit in or belong, I'm curious why vampire Durkon, clearly a creature of innate evil who is theoretically incapable of change towards good, is given the benefit of the doubt while Belkar, a living being who actually has shown some minor steps in the direction of positive change, is not. If one assumes Belkar should die for the good of the Order, one must also assume Durkon should as well. I imagine your point is that Durkon is by his actual nature a good person and Belkar is not, but the point of the Order, at least as far as Durkon's own perspective in On the Origin of the PCs, is that Roy's leadership should make him capable of fixing his whole team, not just the easy ones, and yes, that includes the psychotic halfling, and now, I guess, it includes a vampire. In fact, I'd guess that's the development Roy needs. He has to manage his increasingly messed up team and make them heroes, because as Belkar points out, no one else is going to save the world. We aren't going to get some Belkar replacement the better part of 1000 strips in, and while he may be destined to die and that may be part of his development, I don't think that's all he can do. I find it likely he'll do a lot more before (and if!) that happens.

To actually address what Belkar needs to do, which I think he may now be starting to realize, is that sometimes, someone needs to be the jerk for the right reasons. He's good at being a jerk, and doesn't care what others think of him because of it. Hence his snapping Roy out of his doldrums of despair by being mean while the others were grieving. It needed to be done, and only Belkar could do it. So, in a funny way, he might go from being evil and faking goodness, to doing some good while pretending it's just his usual villainy.

Kaurne
2013-04-12, 12:26 PM
I think most of what you say here is interesting, and there may be something to some of it. However, I do think your slant on Belkar is somewhat skewed. If your notion is that anyone evil just won't fit in or belong, I'm curious why vampire Durkon, clearly a creature of innate evil who is theoretically incapable of change towards good, is given the benefit of the doubt while Belkar, a living being who actually has shown some minor steps in the direction of positive change, is not. If one assumes Belkar should die for the good of the Order, one must also assume Durkon should as well. I imagine your point is that Durkon is by his actual nature a good person and Belkar is not, but the point of the Order, at least as far as Durkon's own perspective in On the Origin of the PCs, is that Roy's leadership should make him capable of fixing his whole team, not just the easy ones, and yes, that includes the psychotic halfling, and now, I guess, it includes a vampire. In fact, I'd guess that's the development Roy needs. He has to manage his increasingly messed up team and make them heroes, because as Belkar points out, no one else is going to save the world. We aren't going to get some Belkar replacement the better part of 1000 strips in, and while he may be destined to die and that may be part of his development, I don't think that's all he can do. I find it likely he'll do a lot more before (and if!) that happens.

To actually address what Belkar needs to do, which I think he may now be starting to realize, is that sometimes, someone needs to be the jerk for the right reasons. He's good at being a jerk, and doesn't care what others think of him because of it. Hence his snapping Roy out of his doldrums of despair by being mean while the others were grieving. It needed to be done, and only Belkar could do it. So, in a funny way, he might go from being evil and faking goodness, to doing some good while pretending it's just his usual villainy.

Maybe I am a bit biased against Belkar, but I haven't got rid of the possibility that Durkon would get put in the same boat. Its simply that we have no idea how Durkon will act when not under Malacks thrall, or if he'll be accompanying the team to Kraagors Gate or going with another group. We simply don't know, and so we can't make predictions on what character development will occur.

As for your comments about Belkar, that's possible, I guess, but I personally I don't see that continuing. I mean, I guess Belkar might die during the final confrontation with Xykon, but I have a feeling he's going to die here. I'm still not sure if his current character growth is enough, or even how much of it is faked, and I personally can't see the Order working as a close-knit unit with him still in it; not so much because he's Evil as because he's a jerk who simply doesn't get on with the rest of the party. Not that I want to bring her up, but I'd feel the same way if Miko had permanently joined the OotS, despite her being (pre-killing Shojo) a Good character.

jidasfire
2013-04-12, 01:19 PM
As for your comments about Belkar, that's possible, I guess, but I personally I don't see that continuing. I mean, I guess Belkar might die during the final confrontation with Xykon, but I have a feeling he's going to die here. I'm still not sure if his current character growth is enough, or even how much of it is faked, and I personally can't see the Order working as a close-knit unit with him still in it; not so much because he's Evil as because he's a jerk who simply doesn't get on with the rest of the party. Not that I want to bring her up, but I'd feel the same way if Miko had permanently joined the OotS, despite her being (pre-killing Shojo) a Good character.

I think it would be hard to deny that in his last appearance, Belkar, and the fact that he is a jerk, were absolutely crucial to keeping Roy from giving up. He even said the others keep him around because hurting people is the only thing he's good at. That implies a level of self-awareness previously unseen in Belkar. Not to mention his actual guilt and sadness over Durkon dying to save his life. I'm not saying Belkar is going to be the next O-Chul, some pinnacle of decency or anything like that. But the party's already had one death this arc and I find another unlikely. Hence, Belkar's got to grow, and be more useful to the team. The fact is, unlike Miko, who was a loner on just about every front, Belkar, despite his evilness and such, sticks with the Order, and when he was nearly kicked out, he was visibly upset. As to his reasons for staying, much debate could be had, but I would say at least that he feels like he belongs among them, and while he may not be the greatest teammate, he is still part of the team.

Snails
2013-04-12, 04:53 PM
While Belkar has much need for additional personal growth, as a team member he has graduated to be one of the adults. Saving his own and Haley's bacon after his dream sequence is a useful tactical result, do not get me wrong. But now we have seen him employ his own gifts for callousness to step up and take some personal responsibility for the strategic choices of the party.

For a long time it has been Roy doing the heavy lifting, with occasional help from Durkon and Haley. V, Elan, and Belkar were just along for the ride.

I think this points to where V and Elan need to go.

Elan was useful in saving Haley, but will he step up and take responsibility for figuring out how to out maneuver Tarquin and Nale?

V is getting the right idea about tactical teamwork, but he has the longest way to go in terms of figuring out how to contribute in steering the Order's course. Hiding in horror from his own error only highlights the problem.

Durkon, well, Durkon has always been a team player. But clearly, um, he is not feeling quite himself right now. That could use some improvement...:smalleek:

Belkar<3
2013-04-13, 12:32 PM
I think V and Belkar are going to be the ones that develop the most.

JusticeZero
2013-04-15, 01:36 AM
Durkon really hasn't had ANY character development that I can think of. Waaaay back when in the first dungeon didn't seem so much "character development" as "characterization"; his character was not developed, merely defined. He's going to get a truckload of it now, i'm sure.

Belkar is being developed right now. Where he goes in the end I do not know. I'm sure it'll be interesting to see. Though i'm pretty sure he's still going to end up in the Abyss in the end.

V... needs something external to galvanize V out of V's internal freakout. There will be a revelation, and things are going to blow up. Probably verbally. There are two other points of Evil in the group right now - Durkon and Belkar. That could make for a heck of an argument seed.

Elan... is actually more than a little bit of a badass! It's been noted that he's actually very possibly the most optimized character in the group now (not counting the two Tier Ones, even though neither of those seem inclined to go stomping through downtown Tokyo right now, but optimizing either of those is just "take another level of my class every level".) But he hasn't actually gotten the chance to deliver any CMoA's in front of Roy yet. He really needs to get the chance to just lay down a twelve lane superhighway of ass-kicking that would bring a tear to Belkar's eye, so that he and everyone else can realize that hey - just because you're the comic relief doesn't mean you can't be awesome, and he totally needs to earn a bit of respect.

Roy... needs to be taken down a few pegs for a little while, just because he doesn't seem to really realize what all he has around him. He is always shocked when the team succeeds without him, but he somehow is never there to see it happen. He's always the strong one, and he needs to see things from another angle.

JCAll
2013-04-15, 02:27 AM
Roy just lost his best friend, and the man he's been using as a rock through this whole ordeal. He's also never had to deal with a party member dieing like all the others have. Now's the time for him to decide what he's made of.

Also, Elan has considered Roy his best friend for several hundred strips, while Roy seems to see him more as a load. By the end of this, it would be nice for him to see Elan the same way Elan sees him.

Cerlis
2013-04-15, 06:43 AM
perhaps the fact that Durkon is a vampire, possibly evil, but with all the memories of his former self (this would likely translate in him being more self centered and more harsh but with all the same goals in mind) he will realize the construct that is a majority of his character.

He went against the first love and intimate connection he has had in years because of tradition.

He has denied helping his friends for what is right.

He wasn't ready to fight an evil monster that wanted him dead because he was a friend. (or rather the term "friend" kept him from jumping the gun)

And the most important thing to him (being buried with his kin....because of tradition) is very potentially denied to him.

He may stay lawful but i think its possible given his newfound (future) perspective he may realize that all these traditions and rigidly lawful goals he sticks to ....because he is a dwarf and that is what dwarves do.... aren't what is important. So what if his girlgriend is evil, he is evil too. Protecting his loved ones is more important than his morals. Someone who claims to be good and a friend isn't enough, they have to act like it (like not murdering you). And maybe its better to live and die with your true loved ones, than to be with a bunch of strangers that happen to be related to you.

Gift Jeraff
2013-04-15, 09:24 AM
They need to learn to be optimized, Min/Maxing powergamers.

Mutant Sheep
2013-04-15, 05:42 PM
I didn't know character development was a numerical value, or something inherently trackable. Or a thing we can have an end-goal for. Or I am good at misinterpreting everything.:smallconfused: Probably that.

jidasfire
2013-04-15, 07:45 PM
I didn't know character development was a numerical value, or something inherently trackable. Or a thing we can have an end-goal for. Or I am good at misinterpreting everything.:smallconfused: Probably that.

I would imagine it's not a matter of quantifiable development, like there's some tangible development bar above all the PCs. But generally in fiction, characters progress through some arc or series of arcs related to their growth or change as people. This is not inherently a positive series of changes, though with protagonists, it tends to average out on the positive curve. Roy has become a better leader and has learned loyalty to his teammates. Haley has become less secretive and learned to trust (a little). Elan has been forced to take life a bit more seriously and that he can contribute to the team as well. Belkar has learned to keep his murderous tendencies more subtle. There's certainly enough comic left (and enough of this story even) for the characters to follow these arcs further or start new ones, as poor Durkon seems to be doing. I imagine Mr. Burlew's point is less that in order to defeat Xykon and company, the Order must become better heroes, and to become better heroes, they must become better versions of themselves.

Cerlis
2013-04-15, 10:12 PM

Its more like what changes in the characters need to happen.

Like Ripley needs to stop seeing xenomorphs as monsters and just as really smart evil animals that she knows how to stop...which she did.

Like Luke need to let go of his past anger and forgive.

Like Frodo needed to finally stop trying to carry the entire burden of Middle Earth (and trust Sam to help)

Thrillhouse
2013-04-15, 11:03 PM
(For convenience's sake, V will be "he")

The big thing with V is that he needs to figure out why he's in this adventure now. Before, it was to help him achieve the ultimate arcane power--having seen where that leads, and indeed, seeing that it is a goal he shared with Xykon, V doesn't really have this goal anymore. Thus, he's got to decide what he really wants out of this mission.

Obviously V always did hate Xykon and want to stop him. But this was never his primary goal--stopping Xykon was a means to getting better at magic. Now, he's got to come up with a new reason.

Stormlock
2013-04-15, 11:06 PM
I'm going to side with Eugene here and say that V needs some more ruthless efficacy and less moralizing. For all the fail that was epic V, it's pretty much an anomaly out of an otherwise overwhelmingly successful overall strategy. V has utterly crushed many foes that would have mopped the floor with the order, usually without any significant help. If he needed any growth in regards to being less aggressive about casting, he got it when he defeated Zzdi'tri. Some potent researched spells of improved bone destroying would be pretty damned helpful.

But knowing Rich, it's more likely Redcloak/Xykon will ultimately fall because of some plot contrivance combined with a character flaw, and most of the fans will appreciate that more. But from a logical standpoint, the only growth the order needs right now is for the big gun to realize he's the big gun and take responsibility. Haley never was and will never be a credible threat to Xykon, regardless of her character levels, self confidence, or feelings towards her father. Belkar is in the same boat, and Roy would be too if Xykon were even one tenth as intelligent as he ought to be. Elan is still comic relief.

Silverionmox
2013-04-16, 05:24 AM
I'm going to side with Eugene here and say that V needs some more ruthless efficacy and less moralizing. For all the fail that was epic V, it's pretty much an anomaly out of an otherwise overwhelmingly successful overall strategy. V has utterly crushed many foes that would have mopped the floor with the order, usually without any significant help. If he needed any growth in regards to being less aggressive about casting, he got it when he defeated Zzdi'tri. Some potent researched spells of improved bone destroying would be pretty damned helpful.
Even a trivial improvement like casting improved invisibility before teleporting to Xykon's throne room and taking a round or two to assess the situation would have significantly altered the equation.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-16, 12:31 PM
Also, Elan has considered Roy his best friend for several hundred strips, while Roy seems to see him more as a load. By the end of this, it would be nice for him to see Elan the same way Elan sees him.

Actually, Elan seems to consider Roy a surrogate big brother. And since we know what happened to Roy's real little brother (who he thinks of as a proto-bard), that may be a source of conflict and the seed of some of Roy's issues with Elan; he's trying to 'replace' Eric, even if unintentionally.

paradoxymoron
2013-04-16, 07:53 PM
Actually, Elan seems to consider Roy a surrogate big brother. And since we know what happened to Roy's real little brother (who he thinks of as a proto-bard), that may be a source of conflict and the seed of some of Roy's issues with Elan; he's trying to 'replace' Eric, even if unintentionally.

Nice, thanks. I never considered this and it changes the nature of their relationship. He knows how dangerous this mission is and that Elan could be killed at any time. Add to that the painful memories of his little brother's death and the little brother role Elan keeps putting himself into. Roy's not being mean to Elan; he's scared by the prospect of intimacy with Elan.

JCAll
2013-04-16, 09:13 PM
Nice, thanks. I never considered this and it changes the nature of their relationship. He knows how dangerous this mission is and that Elan could be killed at any time. Add to that the painful memories of his little brother's death and the little brother role Elan keeps putting himself into. Roy's not being mean to Elan; he's scared by the prospect of intimacy with Elan.

Wow, that may be the only way Roy could come out of this without looking like a big jerk.

Rogar Demonblud
2013-04-17, 10:53 AM
Also note that during the freefall strip, Roy considered blaming Elan, but didn't, and actually wished well for his future. Add in a few speeches to Elan about building a family rather than just being in the one you were born in, and we seem to have some development portended.

Lombard
2013-04-17, 10:33 PM
Belkar/Varsuuvius ro(bro?)mance. I still haven't given up hope!