PDA

View Full Version : Sinnister but Loyal Advisor

Suteinu
2013-04-12, 12:31 PM
I want to build, from level 1, a character based heavily on Elizabeth I's advisor, Lord Wolsingham (I think that's spelt right). He's loyal and patriotic, with an eye on doing what is best for his country and king/queen/whatever, and has no qualms about usung unscrupulous means to do his job (spies, torture, frame-ups, etc.). `Course, at level 1 he's not there yet, but he will be.

I'm thinking LE wizard (Domain Sp: Enchantment or Divination) to begin with, and going then into a PrC from CM, Nightmare Spinner if I remember correctly, though Divine Oracle also comes to mind. He needs to be able to get all the information, all the time, and I'm not above serrving-up Leadership cheese by the wheel to reflect a network of spies and operatives.

Any suggestions?

gorfnab
2013-04-12, 01:03 PM
How about Psion (Telepath) into Trallherd? This would get you the social skills, powers, and followers needed for that kind of "advisor".

OzymandiasX
2013-04-12, 01:48 PM
Diviniation and Enchantment are good tools, but even more important is roleplay (and skills). Remember that Lord Wolsingham was able to do everything he did with no spells. I'd definitely consider some rogue levels, as well used Gather Info can be better than Divination magic and clever Diplomacy usage can get you access to allies and their equipment that you couldn't otherwise get.

Gildedragon
2013-04-12, 01:55 PM
Make him left handed! Sting? No?

All right: psibond agent, or binder with naberius and dantalion

Suteinu
2013-04-12, 03:07 PM
OzymandiasX (/ex/ or 10?): My initial inclination was Rogue, or even Beguiler, but this is going to be set in Oerth (Greyhawk), so I thought such complete spell access as a wizard might be necessary. Still, in a go-with-the-gut sense of practicality, Rogue just plain feels right. What PrC's would you suggest.

Oh, and yes, [I]role[I]play is heavily on the agenda. Between that and the VBoD, almost any class could work!

Gorf & Gui: Y'know, psionics didn't even cross my mind for some reason. I do research!

OzymandiasX
2013-04-16, 04:59 PM
OzymandiasX (/ex/ or 10?): My initial inclination was Rogue, or even Beguiler, but this is going to be set in Oerth (Greyhawk), so I thought such complete spell access as a wizard might be necessary. Still, in a go-with-the-gut sense of practicality, Rogue just plain feels right. What PrC's would you suggest.

Arcane Trickster is one that I think can work really well for your character concept and be useful in combat as well.

Flickerdart
2013-04-16, 05:11 PM
Church Inquisitor could be an option, clerics get some nice divinations that wizards have a little bit of trouble accessing.