PDA

View Full Version : Hunter [PF] [Base Class] [Ranger/scout + new stuff]

Admiral Squish
2013-04-12, 01:17 PM
Hunter
Designed for Vespuccia (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269334)

Hit Die: d8
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+0|Hunter’s Tactics, Tactics +1, Track

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+0|Trapfinding, Uncanny Dodge

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+1|Fast Movement +10, Tactics +2, Trackless Step

4th|+4|+1|+4|+1|Bonus Feat, Swift Tracker

5th|+5|+1|+4|+1|Evasion, Tactics +3

6th|+6|+2|+5|+2|Flawless Stride, Improved Tactics

7th|+7|+2|+5|+2|Tactics +4

8th|+8|+2|+6|+2|Bonus Feat, Camouflage

9th|+9|+3|+6|+3|Improved Uncanny Dodge, Tactics +5

10th|+10|+3|+7|+3|Blindsense 30

11th|+11|+3|+7|+3|Fast Movement +20, Greater Tactics, Tactics +6

12th|+12|+4|+8|+4|Bonus Feat

13th|+13|+4|+8|+4|Tactics +7

14th|+14|+4|+9|+4|Hide in Plain Sight

15th|+15|+5|+9|+5|Improved Evasion, Tactics +8

16th|+16|+5|+10|+5|Bonus Feat, Master Tactics

17th|+17|+5|+10|+5|Tactics +9

18th|+18|+6|+11|+6|Free Movement

19th|+19|+6|+11|+6|Fast Movement +30, Tactics +10

20th|+20|+6|+12|+6|Blindsight 30, Bonus Feat
[/table]
Skill Points: 6+int per level
Class Skills: Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Hunter’s Tactics (Ex): At first level, a hunter selects one tactic to pursue. This choice is permanent and cannot be changed once selected. They understand the most basic aspect of their chosen tactics at level 1. At 5th, 10th, and 15th they learn new aspects of their tactics, advancing their understanding.
The benefits of the ranger's chosen style feats apply only when he wears light, medium, or no armor. He loses all benefits of his combat style feats when wearing heavy armor.

Sniper

A sniper hunter is a hunter of unparallelled accuracy. A sniper's shots are precise, seeking out the vitals of their targets to devastating effect. One shot, one kill.

Sniper’s shot: At first level, a hunter can take a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity to make a single attack with a ranged weapon. The hunter gains a bonus to the attack roll equal to their tactics bonus and adds 1d6 damage per point of tactics bonus. This damage does not apply if the target is immune to critical hits.

Improved Tactics
Aim: As a move action, a hunter can aim. The hunter increases their effective tactics bonus for their next sniper’s shot by one for each move action they spend aiming. If the hunter moves, or the target breaks line of sight after aiming, they lose this bonus. The hunter cannot increase their tactics bonus to exceed their dexterity modifier.

Greater Tactics
Death Attack: If the hunter spends three rounds aiming, if they successfully hit their target, the target must make a fortitude save (DC 10+½ level+dex) or die instantly. The sniper can choose to leave their target paralyzed instead of killing them. This attack does not affect targets immune to critical hits.

Master Tactics
Sudden Death: A hunter becomes a master of death. The hunter must only aim for one round before they can make a death attack.

Skirmisher

A skirmisher is a warrior always on the move. A skirmisher dances and tumbles through the battlefield, slicing with weapons or firing off arrows before disappearing once again.

Skirmish: A skirmisher relies on mobility to deal extra damage and improve her defense. During any round in which they move at least 10 feet, the skirmisher adds their tactics bonus as a dodge bonus to AC and adds 1d6 damage to their next attack per point of tactics bonus. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the hunter’s turn.
The extra damage only applies against living creatures that have a discernible anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The hunter must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Hunters can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet. If they gain the skirmish ability from another class, the bonuses stack.

Improved Tactics
Darting Skirmish: For every additional 10 feet you move after 10 feet, you increase your tactics bonus by 1. A hunter cannot increase their tactics bonus to exceed their dexterity modifier.

Greater Tactics
Pouncing Skirmish: The hunter adds the skirmish bonus damage to all attacks made after their movement. The effective tactics increase from additional movement only applies to the first attack after the movement.

Master Tactics
Devastating Skirmish: All attacks made after moving benefit from the tactics increase from extra movement.

Arrow Storm

An arrow storm hunter focuses on speed. They fire dozens of arrows at a time, raining death on their enemies, even blanketing entire areas with a hail of deadly arrows.

Volley: An arrow storm hunter can take a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity to fire a volley of arrows or bolts. In this attack, you can make one ranged attack, plus a number of ranged attacks equal to your tactics bonus. All attacks in the flurry are made at your full attack bonus, but you take a penalty on all attack rolls equal to twice your tactics bonus. The number of attacks in a volley cannot exceed your dexterity modifier.

Improved Tactics
Skillful Volley: The penalty on your volley attacks becomes equal to your tactics bonus.

Greater Tactics
Arrow Rain: A volley hunter can rain death from above. As a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, the hunter can deal damage equal to (Base damage of a single attack with your ranged weapon X ½ tactics bonus) to all creatures within a 10-foot-radius circle, centered on any intersection within one range increment. Creatures within this radius may make a reflex save (DC 10+½ Level+ Dex mod) for half damage.

Master Tactics
Arrow Storm: A volley hunter’s arrow rain now deals damage equal to (Base damage of a single attack with your ranged weapon X your tactics bonus).

Beast master

A beast master hunter is a master of the animal kingdom. He has forged a bond with an animal companion that serves him loyally in combat, the two working together as a unit to savage their foes.

Pack Strike: A beast master hunter gains an animal companion. Treat this companion as a druid’s, with an effective druid level equal to his hunter level. A beast master hunter adds his tactics bonus to attack and damage rolls when he attacks the same target as his animal companion.

Improved Tactics
Fearsome Beast: A beast master’s animal companion gains a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to your tactics bonus while attacking the same target as you.

Greater Tactics
Pack Tactics: When your animal companion makes a successful melee attack against a creature you threaten, that creature provokes an attack of opportunity from you. This ability can only grant a single attack of opportunity against any given creature each round.

Master Tactics
Perfect Team: As long as you and your animal companion remain within 30 feet and both make a melee attack, you both add your tactics bonus to attack and damage rolls. This does not stack if you and your pet both attack the same target.

Two-weapon

A two weapon hunter is a dervish of destruction, striking again and again, lashing out with a weapon in each hand. They

Two-Weapon Rend: A two-weapon hunter gains two-weapon fighting as a bonus feat. If you successfully attack the same foe with two different weapons, you can rend the foe’s flesh to deal damage equal to (1d6 x tactics bonus + 1.5x str mod).

Improved Tactics
Frenzied rending: You gain improved two-weapon fighting as a bonus feat. After the second successful attack, all attacks until the end of your turn deal extra damage equal to your tactics bonus.

Greater Tactics
Rushing Frenzy: You gain Greater Two-weapon fighting as a bonus feat. In addition, you can make a full attack at the end of a charge.

Master Tactics
Perfect Synch: You can make as many attacks with your off-hand weapon as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus. You still take the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Rider (Incomplete)

Calvary Warrior: A rider hunter gains an animal companion. Treat this companion as a druid’s, with a level equal to his hunter level. This companion can be any type of creature, but it must be able to carry the hunter in combat. The hunter gains mounted combat as a bonus feat, and can use the defensive benefits of mounted combat a number of times per turn equal to your tactics bonus.

Improved Tactics
Mounted Hunter: A rider hunter gains a bonus to ranged attack and damage rolls equal to their tactics bonus as long as they are mounted and their mount has moved more than 10 feet in the round.

Greater Tactics

Master Tactics

Track (Ex): A hunter gains Track as a bonus feat.

Trap finding (Ex): A hunter can use the Search skill to locate traps with a DC higher than 20, and can use Disable Device to bypass a trap or disarm magic traps. See the rogue class feature.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a hunter cannot be caught flat-footed and reacts to danger before their senses would normally allow them to do so. See the barbarian class feature.

Fast Movement (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a hunter gains a +10 foot enhancement bonus to her base land speed. At 11th level, this bonus increases to +20 feet, and at 19th level, this bonus increases to +30 feet. See the monk class feature.

Trackless Step (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a hunter cannot be tracked in natural surroundings. See the druid class feature.

Bonus Feat At 4th level and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th level), a hunter gains a bonus feat, which must be selected from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Crossbow Mastery, Deadly Aim, Dodge, Double Slice, Endurance, Far Shot, Focused Shot, Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Improved Precise Shot, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Manyshot, Mobility, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Pinpoint Targeting, Point Blank Shot, Point Blank Master, Precise Shot, Quick Draw, Rapid Reload, Rapid Shot, Ride-by Attack, Shot on the Run, Skill Focus, Spring Attack, Trick Riding, Two-Weapon Defense. They must meet all the prerequisites for the feat.

Swift Tacker (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a hunter can move at his normal speed while following tracks without taking the normal -5 penalty. They take only a -10 penalty (instead of the normal -20) when moving at up to twice normal speed while tracking.

Evasion (Ex): When they reaches 5th level, a hunter can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If they makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if the ranger is wearing light armor, medium armor, or no armor. A helpless ranger does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flawless Stride (Ex): Starting at 6th level, a hunter can move through any sort of terrain that slows movement (such as undergrowth, rubble, and similar terrain) at their normal speed and without taking damage or suffering any other impairment.
This ability does not let them move more quickly through terrain that requires a Climb or Swim check to navigate, nor can they move more quickly through terrain or undergrowth that has been magically manipulated to impede motion.
A hunter loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Camouflage (Ex): Beginning at 8th level, a hunter can use the Hide skill in any sort of natural terrain, even if the terrain does'nt offer cover or concealment. They lose this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Improved Uncanny Dodge At 9th level and higher, a hunter can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the hunter by flanking them, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has barbarian levels.

If a character already has uncanny dodge from another class, the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Blindsense (Ex): At 10th level, a hunter gains the blindsense ability out to 30 feet.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Beginning at 14th level, a hunter can use the Hide skill in natural terrain even while being observed. A hunter loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 16th level, a hunter's evasion improves. This ability works like evasion, except that while the hunter still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, they henceforth take only half damage on a failed save. A helpless hunter does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Free Movement (Ex): At 18th level and higher, a hunter can slip out of bonds, grapples, and even the effects of confining spells easily. This ability duplicates the effect of a freedom of movement spell, except that it is always active. A hunter loses this benefit when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Blind sight (Ex): A 20th-level hunter gains the blindsight ability out to 30 feet. Their senses become so acute that they can maneuver and fight flawlessly even in total darkness. Invisibility, darkness, and most kinds of concealment are irrelevant, though the hunter must have line of effect to a creature or object to discern it.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-12, 01:19 PM
So, this class was basically born of me liking the scout, but being annoyed by the relative weakness of it, and liking the variety of options presented by the ranger, but being annoyed that it's nothing more than feats. So, I did a little combining, a little redesigning, and a little innovation and here we are.

I'm about 90% done with it, but I can't figure out how to make the rider hunter work, and I was thinking that the playground would be able to help me with that, plus I could get review on what I've done so far.

zzuxon
2013-04-12, 07:00 PM
I like it, it's better than rangers by a long shot.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-12, 10:37 PM
I like it, it's better than rangers by a long shot.

I'm certainly glad you approve!

eftexar
2013-04-13, 03:24 PM
I think you would be fine bumping hit points up to d8s. The rogue for example suffers severely from it's d6, in 3.5, and this is hardly a skill monkey itself.

Why does it have Camouflage, but no hide skill? I think we could do with importing back at least some of the Ranger's skill list considering the lack of spells. Ah, didn't catch the Pathfinder tag.

I would fold swift tracker into when the track feat is gained. While it might seem a bit much at first tracking is actually kind of useless if you can't follow at a descent speed. I'd even drop the penalties to -4 and -8.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-14, 02:01 PM
I think you would be fine bumping hit points up to d8s. The rogue for example suffers severely from it's d6, in 3.5, and this is hardly a skill monkey itself.

Why does it have Camouflage, but no hide skill? I think we could do with importing back at least some of the Ranger's skill list considering the lack of spells. Ah, didn't catch the Pathfinder tag.

I would fold swift tracker into when the track feat is gained. While it might seem a bit much at first tracking is actually kind of useless if you can't follow at a descent speed. I'd even drop the penalties to -4 and -8.

I upgraded the hit die as suggested.

I can't honestly remember ever seeing swift tracker. Can you point me to somewhere I could see the text of it?
As for putting it at level 1, I dunno. I think I'll probably add it in at a somewhat later level that's not so full.

eftexar
2013-04-14, 03:20 PM
It's at 8th level for both the pathfinder and 3.5 versions.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-14, 03:23 PM
It's at 8th level for both the pathfinder and 3.5 versions.

Man, I've never even noticed that...
Added it in at 4th level.

Henlein_Kosh
2013-04-14, 10:52 PM
I like this a lot, going to make it available to my players, and more importantly to my npc's :smallbiggrin:

As to input for the rider tactic, I would suggest that you looked at traditional horseback hunting with spears (both melee and throw) for inspiration.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-14, 11:03 PM
What about capstones? You get bonus abilities from your chosen Tactic at 5th, 10th, and 15th, and at 20 you get... a bonus feat. And some fast movement.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-14, 11:59 PM
I like this a lot, going to make it available to my players, and more importantly to my npc's :smallbiggrin:

As to input for the rider tactic, I would suggest that you looked at traditional horseback hunting with spears (both melee and throw) for inspiration.

I'm definitely glad you like it! If you put it to use, tell me how it goes!

I wasn't thinking spears, I was thinking bows or guns. This is designed to work with a fantasy north america setting, after all.

What about capstones? You get bonus abilities from your chosen Tactic at 5th, 10th, and 15th, and at 20 you get... a bonus feat. And some fast movement.

You have a point. Actually, it's 6th, 11th, and 16th, but it'd probably be worth breaking the pattern to make a capstone. I'll see what other ideas I can come up with.

SamBurke
2013-04-15, 12:59 PM
I rather like this, as it is strictly better than the normal Ranger... I do wish it had the spells, but I guess it makes sense.

As to riding, here are some suggestions:

Bonus Damage if Riding towards/ away from target
Increase crit range if using a certain set of weapons?
Dodge bonus equal to mount's Dexterity Bonus?
Can direct your mount without using your hands, which allows for a pseudo-Pounce.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-16, 10:19 AM
I rather like this, as it is strictly better than the normal Ranger... I do wish it had the spells, but I guess it makes sense.

As to riding, here are some suggestions:

Bonus Damage if Riding towards/ away from target
Increase crit range if using a certain set of weapons?
Dodge bonus equal to mount's Dexterity Bonus?
Can direct your mount without using your hands, which allows for a pseudo-Pounce.

I never liked that ranger had spells. I figured ranger's supposed to be a mundane hero, not a gish-druid.

Those are good ideas for riding special abilities! I'll probably fiddle with them a bit, but I'll definitely take some of those ideas.

eftexar
2013-04-16, 02:44 PM
I'm definitely in agreement there. When I think ranger I think of real life rangers and wardens with a dash of scout or hunter added in. Anyway, I think you've got the balance here spot on.

If I may suggest though, try giving bonus feats their own column (like the warlock's invocations). And you could just describe the Tactics ability as increasing at every odd level (since it comes up so often).A minor nitpick I know, but I'm all for making a class look less cluttered for aesthetics sake.

Just to Browse
2013-04-16, 09:52 PM
The trouble is that any skirmisher, two-weapon fighter, rider, or other melee archetype is going to need some potent defensive abilities or they just won't be useful. Right now beast master, sniper, and arrow storm are OK archetypes (though sniper and arrow storm are meh) because they can sit in the back and plink away, ignoring the detriments of weak armor and low hit dice. Any melee ranger will run into a fight and get diced up.

I recommend increasing the hit die for the melee archetypes (but not the ranged ones!) and/or giving them some bonus defenses like improved AC, the ability to counter/redirect blows, or a flat miss chance.

Sniper really doesn't deal that much damage. You can hit harder by using manyshot or something--the damage needs to be upped. Arrow Storm is effective, but the penalty to attacks equal to your tactics bonus is... unsatisfying. I get that you're worried about more attacks needing some balancing factor, but losing to-hit when you level up is demoralizing for players and should be avoided. Just make it a flat -4 or -2 and let players keep their awesome bowskillz.

EDIT: You could totally pay homage to the Mystic Ranger by making one of the tracks a nature magic track. That way the hunter covers more conceptual space and doesn't make SamBurke sad.

Admiral Squish
2013-04-18, 03:05 PM
The trouble is that any skirmisher, two-weapon fighter, rider, or other melee archetype is going to need some potent defensive abilities or they just won't be useful. Right now beast master, sniper, and arrow storm are OK archetypes (though sniper and arrow storm are meh) because they can sit in the back and plink away, ignoring the detriments of weak armor and low hit dice. Any melee ranger will run into a fight and get diced up.

I recommend increasing the hit die for the melee archetypes (but not the ranged ones!) and/or giving them some bonus defenses like improved AC, the ability to counter/redirect blows, or a flat miss chance.

Sniper really doesn't deal that much damage. You can hit harder by using manyshot or something--the damage needs to be upped. Arrow Storm is effective, but the penalty to attacks equal to your tactics bonus is... unsatisfying. I get that you're worried about more attacks needing some balancing factor, but losing to-hit when you level up is demoralizing for players and should be avoided. Just make it a flat -4 or -2 and let players keep their awesome bowskillz.

EDIT: You could totally pay homage to the Mystic Ranger by making one of the tracks a nature magic track. That way the hunter covers more conceptual space and doesn't make SamBurke sad.

Yes! This is what I'm looking for! This is serious review.

I can definitely see what you're talking about, though I thinker there are a few misunderstanding in your post. The skirmisher gets a bonus to AC equal to their tactics bonus whenever they move, so they have pretty good AC when they're running around. The beastmaster's gotta attack the same target as their pet to get the bonus damage, so he's gotta be in the fight too.

Hmm. I don't like the idea of increasing the hit die based on your tactical choice, but I could definitely see adding in some defensive measures on melee achetypes. And it gives me a chance to stretch this out and split it up into five levels instead of four.
Let's see...
Skirmish already gets an AC bonus while they move.
Two weapon... add a parrying option? Can parry a number of attacks per turn equal to dex mod, gaining shield bonus to AC equal to tactics bonus.
Rider... Maybe you can use the mounted combat thing boost your AC too?
Beast master, let's see... natural armor? Or maybe creatures attacked by your pet take an attack penalty?

Admittably, sniper takes a full-round action to deal it's bonus damage, but it can be pretty sizable, especially if we're talking first round of combat, when you have the potential to be aiming for several rounds. But I think saying it does less damage than manyshot seems like an exaggeration (1d8+mods x 4 vs. 10d6). How would you suggest modifying it to bring it up to level? Making it a standard action to snipe?
As for arrow storm, I was basing the penalty off multishot. I was actually hesitant to reduce it this low. Multishot was -8 for four attacks, this is -10 for ten.

I like the idea of a mystic tactic, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. It wouldn't be spells, because the levels are all weird. It'd have to be five magic abilities of some sort. I don't really like the idea of SLAs, maybe an arcane archer knockoff?

SamBurke
2013-04-18, 03:31 PM
Perhaps you could give several different Mystic tracks: Mystic Archer, Mystic Nature Warden, and so on.

Mystic Archer Ideas:
Make your bow fire as if it was one size category larger (See PF'S Gravity Bow)
Imbue Arrow (Put Scroll, Potion, Spell into Item)
Have your arrows auto-penetrate DR.
Spectral Arrows: Deal Force Damage, bonus on hit?

Mystic Nature Warden is more or less like druid or summoner...?

Alternately, you can choose one spell of 1, 3, 5, 7 (or so) at those levels of tactics.

OR, you could have a specific group of spells from Ranger and Druid lists to cast.

eftexar
2013-04-18, 05:01 PM
Just noticed Skirmish. It has the same problems as sneak attack. It becomes useless in many campaigns because of the creatures it is limited to affecting.

I think you should make it affect anything but oozes and incorporeal creatures, because I would interpret skirmish as having more to do with momentum than precision anyways.

zabbarot
2013-04-18, 08:20 PM
Just noticed Skirmish. It has the same problems as sneak attack. It becomes useless in many campaigns because of the creatures it is limited to affecting.

I think you should make it affect anything but oozes and incorporeal creatures, because I would interpret skirmish as having more to do with momentum than precision anyways.

I agree with this. Another question though: as written skirmish damage works when you're mounted right? The few times I played scout I played them as light cavalry so that seems like the ideal mounted track to me >.>

Admiral Squish
2013-04-18, 09:47 PM
Perhaps you could give several different Mystic tracks: Mystic Archer, Mystic Nature Warden, and so on.

Mystic Archer Ideas:
Make your bow fire as if it was one size category larger (See PF'S Gravity Bow)
Imbue Arrow (Put Scroll, Potion, Spell into Item)
Have your arrows auto-penetrate DR.
Spectral Arrows: Deal Force Damage, bonus on hit?

Mystic Nature Warden is more or less like druid or summoner...?

Alternately, you can choose one spell of 1, 3, 5, 7 (or so) at those levels of tactics.

OR, you could have a specific group of spells from Ranger and Druid lists to cast.

Interesting ideas for mystic archer, I'll definitely mull them over.

I don't know, honestly, I just don't like including spells. The level array makes it weird. I'm just not sure how to handle it...

It does have the same problem as sneak attack, but then, most people wouldn't say that sneak attack has a problem. I mean, yeah, if the DM were to actively try to screw you over you'd have a problem, but it would be a problem no matter what character you played.

I agree with this. Another question though: as written skirmish damage works when you're mounted right? The few times I played scout I played them as light cavalry so that seems like the ideal mounted track to me >.>

There was some clarification in errata I think, that said it didn't work with mounts. Falls under moving under your own power. There was an option that let you do it on a mount, but you could only skirmish whilst on a mount. I'll make sure to add a line to clarify.