PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make a prepared/all around adventurer?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-12, 01:36 PM
Now this is somewhat related to a character I'm currently working on the forum here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279123&page=4) but isn't that related, plus I figured a question like this deserved it's own topic.

Pretty much, in d&d we always run into things that require intelligence, quick thinking or certain gear and builds to overcome.

Stuff like types of DR, invisibility, flight, status's etc.

So, what kinds of things do you guys normally find the most challenging for players in a d&d group and what do you find are the best ways to overcome them?

Note: This doesn't need to be just mechanic/build advice, if you have good roleplay tricks to get out of situations too feel free to suggest them. I'm hoping this page becomes (or leads to) some sort of page/guide on how to have an all around ready and prepared character for d&d.

Bonzai
2013-04-12, 03:44 PM
A favorite item of of mine, is a Mantle of Second Chances (MIC), enhanced as a cloak of resistance as per the rules in the MIC. Having the best saves that you can, plus a re-roll really helps mitigate bad luck. Then I try and ensure that I have a ring of evasion or the class feature, some way to avoid charm and compulsion, and some way to gain true seeing. Once those bases are covered, it is really character dependent.

Advice for the common party:

1. Never split up while in rounds.

2. If you encounter a statue in a dungeon that warrants a description, assume it's a golem.

3. If there is an easily found piece of treasure, assume it's a trap.

4. If you see a Kobold, assume there are traps.

5. If you are in the under dark, and see dark holes in the ceiling, assume Beholders or Dark Elves are lurking inside them. This also applies to vertical shafts as well.

6. If you encounter a random pond or bridge, assume you are about to be attacked.

7. Never stick your limbs and or head into suspicious holes, even if you can see all the way inside.

8. If there is a tomb or crypt, expect undead.

9. When exploring dungeons and fortresses, keep a map. It will reveal probable secret doors.

!0. If you encounter The Head of Vecna, (http://www.blindpanic.com/humor/vecna.htm) leave it alone.

HurinTheCursed
2013-04-12, 03:55 PM
I'm usually considered to be a rather good player but I'm not good enough to deal with anything without preparation so I won't help you on this. If a specific problem appears, I believe two members of a group should be able to cope with it, the others having their own field of expertise. The more focused you are, the more powerful in your specialty but the least adaptable to other threats. I find a bit of redundancy between characters is a good balance, too much is a waste.
Threats are totally relative, some characters deal with some easily where others struggle.

I usually favor disbelief and lack of confidence in most NPCs. A good attitude at the table (listening and writing !) is already half of being ready.
My characters have always some mundane equipment that allow to deal with common adventuring problems: paper, chalk, mirror, handcuffs, a horn, rope and hook, a torch, a flint, caltrops or oil or marbles, garlic, tree token feather, smokestick, auran mask, torchbug paste, daylight pellets.
Finally, have a look in the equipment section there: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=399.0

Hope that helped

Kudaku
2013-04-12, 04:51 PM
To build on Hurin's excellent post, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)a link to Shax's indispensible Haversack. It's basically a backpack that'll solve just about anything.

Until you can afford that though, consider some items that lets you deal with common pests and problems:

A trusty set of weapons that deals bludgeoning, slashing and piercing damage, a ranged weapon, something that helps with disease, poison, swarms, invisibility, ooze, and water for starters. Anything that lets you breathe underwater should be quick to deploy because when you need it, you usually need it in a hurry.

I took a quick look at my level 3 bard's equipment list and this is some of the highlights. I play Pathfinder so not sure if it's relevant, but it might give you some ideas.

Antiplague (+4 vs disease)
Antitoxin (+4 vs poison)
Bodybalm (bonus on heal checks to treat various kinds of damage)
Mellowroot (bonus vs fear)
Smelling Salts (wakes asleep or unconscious creatures)
Soothe Syrup (anti-nausea)
Stillgut (more anti-nausea... I'm paranoid)
Troll styptic (expensive fast healing, handy in emergencies)
Alchemist's Kindness (cures hangovers!)
Bladeguard (weapon becomes immune to rust, ooze etc for 24 hours)
Air Crystals (provide one minute of breathing)
Potion of touch of the sea (bonus on swim checks)
Wand of Cure Light Wounds.

HurinTheCursed
2013-04-12, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, all these items aren't available in 3.5 as far as I know.

Each character should try to get healing potions and distribute status removers in the group. Be careful of swimming and falling, it can be easily a character's death. You never need 1 (lesser) restoration at a time, it's 0 or plenty. Carry an unguent of timelessness for your dead.

To the set of weapon, you should add a polearm (I favor the longspear) that allows reach, charge reception and floor / roof testing.

Some threats are to be expected in any campaign, undead or outsiders (at high level) by example. Specifically prepare the group for this encounters. Cemetery => consacrate.

In cities, listen to rumors, know the factions. If you have time, study (or scry) a building (possibility of ambush you or to flee from you) before entering in it. Buy pearls of identification in advance. Keep some hidden weapons on you and light stuff that helps to break out of jail in case of. If you risk capture, don't keep all characters together. Mr paladin doesn't need to know everything, save him dilemmas.

Outside, prepare your travels knowing the animals / bandits that are supposed to live in different places. Know you enemies and the good response.

Keep watches at night, 2 people if you can afford it and a horn is better. Sleep in light armor if you have heavier during the day. You might prefer not to make fire and avoid roads if people look for you.

Define an usual march order depending on ability to scout and speed, ability to support damage, need to be close / far in fights.

Protect the squishies, warriors can sustain AoO to reach their target if the damage is weak or to allow softer characters to avoid an AoO from the same opponent. The goal is to destroy damage potential of the enemy as fast as possible (kill the glasscannon) while minimizing danger / damage.

If people are after you, take prisoners and try being proactive in your answers if that doesn't goes against your main quest.