PDA

View Full Version : Possible Truenamer Fix?

Blackhawk748
2013-04-12, 02:16 PM
Ok i was looking at the Truenamer today, and it doesnt look to bad. The Utterances may not be super powerful but their not terrible, then i remembered that its completely dependent on a skill which it doesnt get a bonus to.

My solution: give the Truenamer a +1 bonus on Truspeak checks per level of Truenamer. would that make it any better?

Bakeru
2013-04-12, 03:49 PM
From what I've read about it? You'd be a medium step closer to rise the Truenamer to a level only somewhat worse than a Warlock...

Did you read this Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214115) and this Topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10653960#post10653960)?
Truenamers don't only suffer from the DCs...

Flickerdart
2013-04-12, 03:53 PM
You could remove the Truenaming skill from the game and let Truenamers auto-cast utterances, and they would still be lousy.

JoshuaZ
2013-04-12, 04:00 PM
You could remove the Truenaming skill from the game and let Truenamers auto-cast utterances, and they would still be lousy.

Actually, the lack of SR would make them very useful when going up against high SR opponents. And a few of their offensive utterances could be quite nasty. Silent Caster, Sensory Focus, Greater Speed of the Zephyr, Spell Rebirth are all examples.

But all responses so far also ignore the other problem: At 20 you get to gate at will, which is just too strong on the other side.

Blackhawk748
2013-04-12, 04:01 PM
well there may come a time for me when i may actually want to do the suicidal thing and actually play one, so i was trying to see if i could fix it a bit.

Getting skill focus automatically might help, jerry rigging the Dcs so they arent a freakin 20 at lvl 1 would help too

Edit: Maybe just let the DM determine DCs and use their formula for a base?

Zaq
2013-04-12, 04:03 PM

This man speaks truth.

Truenamers really need more and better utterances. If every level had options that were on par with the first three utterances everyone should take (Universal Aptitude, Inertia Surge, and Hidden Truth), then the Truenamer wouldn't actually be that bad. Awkward, but nowhere near what we've got right now.

I really don't believe WotC remembered what ECL you'll be when you get the higher-level utterances, since many of them (though not necessarily all of them) would be pretty acceptable if they hit the table (a lot) earlier. This is especially true for the LCT and LPM utterances, Conjunctive Gate excepted. Unfortunately, when you actually get them, a lot of utterances are just plain outdated.

Also, if you're going for quick and dirty bones to throw the 'Namer's way, eliminate the Law of Sequence, and/or let Speak Unto the Masses hit the table at a much, much earlier level.

The DCs are annoying, and any player you have who's actually building a Truenamer will surely appreciate your efforts to force them to tie up less of their build resources just hitting baseline, but the problems with the class go far deeper.

ArcturusV
2013-04-12, 04:10 PM
Might also want to consider letting the feat Words of Creation help power True Naming. If you actually look at the description of Words of Creation it lists Truenaming as something you do with it. You speak their true name in the language that reality was woven with, etc, etc, etc.

So it always struck me that the feat should be doing something for Truenaming. Dark Speech as well if you're of the more evil bent. I mean as long as you're homebrewing fixes, it makes sense to me to start there.