PDA

View Full Version : Magic Missile Machine Gun

GutterFace
2013-04-12, 03:30 PM
just tossing out ideas.

thoughts on getting out the most amount of Magic Missiles per turn

Wizard 5 / Force Missile Mage 5 + Craft wand + Dual Wand Wielder?

i dont know what to add after this

anyone want to lend a hand? keep the cheese low!

Gazebo's Bane
2013-04-12, 03:33 PM
Don't know source, sorry, but I believe there's a Rod of Many Wands that allows you to trigger three wands at once.

dascarletm
2013-04-12, 03:34 PM
That one belt that activates magic missiles from Ebberon.

Think you need to be an artificer for that. (be an artificer)

Take the feat that lets you apply metamagic to wands, twinspell them all.

6 MM spells, if CL9 5 missiles per cast. 30 x 1d4+1

GutterFace
2013-04-12, 03:34 PM
oh good lord :)

ok excellent ill add it to the pile of ideas :)

GutterFace
2013-04-12, 03:35 PM
That one belt that activates magic missiles from Ebberon.

Think you need to be an artificer for that. (be an artificer)

Take the feat that lets you apply metamagic to wands, twinspell them all.

6 MM spells, if CL9 5 missiles per cast. 30 x 1d4+1

awesome, and even better Force Missile Mage lets me go above the 5 max of MM :)

dascarletm
2013-04-12, 03:36 PM
from all your wands you burn a total of 16 charges in one barrage.

ericgrau
2013-04-12, 03:38 PM
Leadership and 50 level 1 wiz-

keep the cheese low!
Gawdammit.

Kazyan
2013-04-12, 03:38 PM
Be a Sharn and take the high-prereq Multitasking feat. Equip a Magic Missile wand in each of nine hands. Use your three standard actions to activate them all, each time. This is 27 activations.

Flickerdart
2013-04-12, 03:42 PM
Must they be missiles? A Spellwarped Split Ray Ocular Magic Missile gives you four castings for the price of one full-round action, but they turn into rays.

Blyte
2013-04-12, 03:43 PM
Guns don't kill people. Magic missiles do.

Saw it on a t-shirt once.

dysprosium
2013-04-12, 03:43 PM
metamagic spell trigger is a feat from complete mage
use with quicken or twinned spell (or both?)

cannith wand adept from sharn city of towers as a prestige class

GutterFace
2013-04-12, 03:45 PM
Leadership and 50 level 1 wiz-

Gawdammit.

hahahahah! i love this

Jigokuro
2013-04-12, 04:35 PM
This has been done rather extensively before:

You could do something like:
Instant Metamagic Sorcerer 6/Incantatrix 10/Whatever 4

Feats:
Iron Will (Or use the Otyugh Hole), Empower Spell, Arcane Thesis Magic Missile, Arcane Thesis Greater Arcane Fusion, Twin Spell, Practical Metamagic Twin Spell, Repeat Spell, Practical Metamagic Repeat Spell, Easy Metamagic Twin Spell. Not necessarily in that order. Easy Metamagic is from a Dragon Magazine, and since Greater Arcane Fusion is a universal school spell, you cannot use Metamagic School Focus instead, but it makes the trick a little more interesting and late blooming, but since all it does it take Twin spell from a +1 to +0 metamagic at that point, meh.

Tactics and DEAAAAAAAAATH...or whatever, hidden via spoiler. Wall of Text Warning.

Greater Arcane fusion is an 8th level spell from Complete Mage. It lets you cast a 4th and a 7th level spell, at the same time, in the order you wish, without using up slots or casting actions. The regular version of this spell is a 5th that lets you do the same thing, but with a 4th and 1st spell.

So, Twinned repeating G.Arcane Fusion as an 8th level spell (Both metamagics are +0 for this spell, due to feats), plugging in a Twinned Repeating Arcane Fusion spell as a 7th (two +1 metamagics), and a twinned repeating empowered maximized Magic missile as a 4th level spell (Twin is 0 for MM, Empower is a +1, Maximize is a +2 due to feats). In the Twinned Repeating Arcane Fusion in your 5th level slot, you put a twinned reapeating empowered maximized magic missile as he 4th level spell, and a twinned repeating magic missile as a first level spell (Both metamagics cost 0, remember).

Round 1) Total spells cast with one standard action, using the Instant Metamagic ACF so it doesn't increase the casting time (not that it particularly matters, either way):
-One twinned Repeating Greater Arcane Fusion, containing a twinned repeating empowered maximized magic missile, and a twinned repeating arcane fusion containing a twinned repeating empowered maximized magic missile and a twinned repeating magic missile.
-Netting two twinned repeating empowered maximized magic missiles, four repeating empowered maximized magic missiles, and two repeating arcane fusions containing a twinned repeating empowered maximized magic missile and a twinned repeating magic missile each.
-Netting twelve repeating empowered maximized magic missles, and four repeating magic missiles.

That's round one. That's a total of 60 empowered maximized magic missiles, and 20 magic missiles, total. Total damage in round one is 320 +20d4 + 60d2, splittable to up to 60 different targets. That's round one.

One round two, cast the same thing again, for Twelve repeating empowered maximized magic missiles, and four repeating magic missiles, PLUS the twelve empowered maximized magic missiles, and four magic missiles that REPEATED from round one.

Total of 120 empowered maximized magic missiles, and 40 magic missiles. 640 + 40d440+ + 120d2, splittable to 120 separate targets.

60d4 + 180d2 + 960 damage in two rounds.

If you want to make sure those hit, lead in with a dispel magic via metamagic rod of quicken to drop the shield or nightshield spell the guy has. Or instead of adding Empower and Maximize (because I just picked random metamagic feats that would boost a level 1 spell to level 4), use Heighten so almost all of those magic missiles bypass a lesser globe of invulnerability thanks to being a 4th level spell. Really, any metamagic feat you want works, fell drain, whatever. If you want to be really nasty, use the Quicken rod to cast two of those GAFs in the first round, instead. Doubles your output.

There's also still four levels open at the end of the build, because you are doing this at level 16. As soon as you get Greater Arcane Fusion (Well, technically 18th, since you don't get a feat at 16th, and you have to know GAF to take Arcane fusion for it, but only if you aren't using one of the myriad ways to swap a feat. You can perform a DCFS on yourself at level 16, to swap a feat once to get it, or psychic reform, etc. after all).

On top of this, say your enemy is immune to force, or you cannot dispel his shield, or whatever else, you are still a sorcerer. Who gets repeat and twin spell attached to ANYTHING you cast at only +1 spell level each. Have a ball nuking the hell out of the battlefield.
Alright, I think I remembered to include everything there. Sorry for the wall of text.
Source (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7802)

Callin
2013-04-12, 04:52 PM
Used the Pathfinder Artificer to do this one time. Built a Golem with multiple multiple soul gems. My standard action was to just command my servant army of low level elementals to activate my low level weird science inventions. Using certain tricks i wont discuss my friend actually improved upon my design and totaled out to 60+million damage in one round of magic missiles.

Keld Denar
2013-04-12, 05:15 PM
Metamagic Effect + Chain Spell + Awaken From Afar (CL20) plus a stack of 20 Wands of Magic Missile (CL9) duct taped together.

Still not enough dakka...

Soranar
2013-04-13, 09:48 AM
well there was a force missile mage optimization challenge to get the largest amount of magic missiles in 1 casting but it included stuff like sanctum spell so I'm guessing that`d be too much cheese

but you can always take the following option

go wyrm wizard, learn the spell arcane fusion and greater arcane fusion from the sorcerer's spell list

arcane fusion lets you cast a level 4 spell with a level 1 spell so

magic missile (level 1) + a twinned magic missile (with arcane thesis on magic missile to reduce the metamagic cost by 1)

effectively becomes 5 castings with a level 5 slots

now there's also greater arcane fusion (a level 4 spell with a level 7 spell)

which can let you cast a twinned magic missile (level 4 with arcane thesis) and an arcane fusion (meaning 7 castings with a level 8 slot)

OzymandiasX
2013-04-13, 12:42 PM
thoughts on getting out the most amount of Magic Missiles per turn
So you want the squeeze out a little more cheese...

keep the cheese low!
...without adding cheese?

This will be tricky! :)

GutterFace
2013-04-13, 06:17 PM
So you want the squeeze out a little more cheese...

...without adding cheese?

This will be tricky! :)

yup. i tend to deal with less than an OP crowd. i dont want to overshadow people by dropping 100 damage every attack at level 6

Wings of Peace
2013-04-13, 06:19 PM
What's the spell that lets you activate magic items from a distance? I know I saw it mentioned in a thread some time ago and the general idea was Chain Spell it and activate a stupid amount of wands at once. It's no force missile mage but it might accomplish something similar to what you're going for.

Aegis013
2013-04-13, 06:25 PM
I dunno if anybody has mentioned this yet, but it seems to fit the bill.

Magic Missile Mage (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19977429/196_Magic_Missiles_Per_Round)

Not sure if this is "low cheese" for OP's group though.