PDA

View Full Version : The Slenderman (3.5 race) (Please PEACH)

fuzzysora
2013-04-12, 05:47 PM
Hey guys, this is my first post here ever, although I've been lurking for a long time. I was thinking about making slender people a race in one of my campaigns, and I was wondering if you guys could give it a once over and tell me how you like it.

Thanks in advance guys

~~~~~
Slenderkin

Slenderkin are a rare race of creatures that usually reside within dark, thick forests. They are strange, almost alien creatures that most people have never even heard of, let alone seen. They look humanoid in appearance, although they are taller than almost any man. When one gets closer, they notice some interesting traits about this creature. Like the 4 tentacles that protrude from his back, his long, suit-like skin, or the fact that he has no face…

Personality: Slenderkin are loners by nature, although they are very curious creatures when they encounter a creature that doesn’t outright flee at the sight of them, or possess a greater intellect than an average animal. While not openly hostile unless provoked, slenderkin have a hard time understanding any sort of social situation, which makes most intelligent races a bit on edge

Physical Description: Slenderkin are tall, exceptionally thin humanoids that stand at about 7 feet tall. They’re exceptionally thin and lithe body has christened them as “Slenderkin” by other races. They have a very strangely colored skin tone which appears most often to be a suit and tie, which civilized humanoids wear to more formal events. However, this material is completely organic, and is part of the slenderkin. They also have several tentacles that protrude from their back, which are black, and deceptively longer than they look, and are occasionally used to fight with. The slenderkin’s arguably most prominent feature, however, is its face, or rather, the lack of one. Slenderkin possess no eyes, ears, mouth, nose, or even hair. Instead, the head is a completely white head, devoid of all emotion. Most would believe that they slenderkin is a monster and can’t even communicate. It is unknown whether slenderkin have genders.

Relations: Slenderkin are generally feared by all other races that happen to encounter one. Most races would flee in terror when encountering a slenderkin. However, strangely enough, children seem to be attracted to slenderkin, and slenderkin seem to care for children, and will take them away to be with them for a while. Slenderkin are typically loners, who do not even share relations with other slenderkin. For the most part, they are content to roam by themselves in the wilderness, as it’s hard for them to understand what loneliness and friendship are.

Alignment: All slenderkin start of as neutral, and as they learn about the world around them, can choose whether to stray to one alignment path or another. Most, however, tend to remain neutral.

Slenderkin Lands: Slenderkin have no society. They wander, wherever they feel like wandering. However, they generally tend to stick to darker, more secluded areas, disliking the disorientating rays of the sun. If they stumble across another slenderkin by some strange coincidence, they might work together to create a new slenderkin by a strange ritual.

Religion: Slenderkin do not think like other races, and have never worshipped any god before another person introduces them to this kind of thinking.

Language: Slenderkin can communicate telepathically to other creatures. They all know Common, and a language called Slender, which they use to communicate with other slenderkin. However, Slenderkin can learn new languages by interacting with new people, just like anyone else.

Names: Slenderkin never have names when they first enter the world. Their “parents” leave them to fend for themselves without a word. So any name a slenderkin has is a nickname or alias that someone else has thought of.

Adventurers: While most slenderkin are more than content to wander for decades, if not centuries, occasionally a slenderkin will encounter a group that will accept it and teach the slenderkin something it wouldn’t otherwise ever learn about, being companionship. This can be a huge attraction to most slenderkin.

Racial traits:

+2 Dexterity, -4 Charisma. Slenderkin are very quick to react when they need to, yet they are completely alien in many social aspects.

Outsider

Medium. As medium creatures, slenderkin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Slenderkin base land speed is 10 feet. Slenderkin are extremely sluggish, and have a hard time forcing them to move any faster than a slow walk.

Blindsight: Although a slenderkin doesn’t appear to have any way of sensing anything, they can tell where everything around them is within a range of 60 feet. This improves to 90 feet when the slenderkin has 10 HD, and further increases to 120 feet when the slenderkin has 20 HD.

Slender-walking: As a move action, a slenderkin can teleport himself, as if by Dimension Door as a caster of the slenderkins Hit Dice. They can transport themselves to any free space within their blindsight range, as long as it is also within range of their Dimension Door range limits as well. The slenderkin can only transport himself and whatever he possesses, as long as what he possesses isn’t over his maximum load. He cannot take other living beings with him, unless they are a part of him, such as a familiar. He can slender-walk anytime he desires, however, after a slender-walk, the slenderkin must wait 1d4 rounds before slender-walking again.

Natural weapons: 4 tentacles 1d6 bludgeoning. Has a reach of 10 feet.

Improved grab: If the slenderkin hits with at least 2 of his tentacles, he can make a grapple attempt as a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Frightful presence: Any creature that sees a slenderkin within 20 feet of the slenderkin must make a will save (DC 10+ half of character level+ charisma modifier) or become frightened. If they make the save, they are immune to this particular slenderkin’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Additionally, if the slenderkin successfully makes friendly contact through telepathy with a creature, that creature no longer has to make a will save in the future when it comes to the slenderkin’s frightful presence. Children are immune to this frightful presence.

Telepathy: Slenderkin can telepathically communicate with anyone who shares a language with them when they are a little less than 5 feet away. A slenderkin must be uncomfortably close to communicate.

Quiescence: A slenderkin is constantly silent, as per the silence spell, although the area does not extend beyond the creature itself. This quality gives it a +20 racial bonus on Move Silently checks (it is still possible for a slenderkin to create noise, such as by bumping into something that scrapes on the floor or by sounding a chime). The slenderkin can lower this effect at will.

Slenderkin have a racial -4 to diplomacy checks, unless communicating with another slenderkin. Also, they get a +4 racial bonus to diplomacy checks dealing with children.

Automatic Languages: Common and Slender. Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Orc

Favored class: Rogue

LA: +2

~~~~

Thoughts?

LordErebus12
2013-04-12, 05:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0q1ea9S.png

this just creeps me out... this should be a non-playable monster

vasharanpaladin
2013-04-12, 07:06 PM
Nitpick: It's Slender Man. Two words. Never one. :smallmad:

Arcanist
2013-04-12, 08:08 PM
Nitpick: It's Slender Man. Two words. Never one. :smallmad:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by this :smallsmile:

Slendy, Him, The Operator, Der Ritter, Der Großmann, Bundle, The Tall Man, The Thin Man, Der Schlanker Mann, Fear Dubh, Schlankwald, Tree Man, and The Pale One are all acceptable names for Slender Man. Not "Slender", not "Slenderman". :smallannoyed:

I agree with Erebus in that, nothing associated with Slender Man should be playable because... WELL otherwise a campaign ends up like... WELL this (http://www.youtube.com/user/MyDarkJournal?feature=watch)...

This Slender Man Homebrew isn't too bad (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258659) :smallsmile: I just wish that it had a method of creating proxies... Ah well... Time to PEACH :smallbiggrin:

PEACH

Racial traits:

+2 Dexterity, -4 Charisma. Slenderkin are very quick to react when they need to, yet they are completely alien in many social aspects.

Looking ahead, a Slenderkin has a -6 penalty for associating with creatures JUST for being a Slenderkin... Slender Man is described as being something a "little" more than what normal Human is. He/She/It should be faster, stronger, smarter, and more durable (both physically and mentally) than any PC he should encounter. We're dealing with something that prances through the Far Realm (or Plane of Shadows) like it is a Sunday afternoon so why shouldn't a descendant be able to do that?

Outsider

General consensus is that Slender Man is an Aberration (Extraplanar). I'm feeling that this homebrew is trying to create a descendant and not the actual Tall One himself.

Medium. As medium creatures, slenderkin have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Large and able to shift between Large and Small and vice versa would make a wee bit more sense. If only as a disguising mechanism.

Slenderkin base land speed is 10 feet. Slenderkin are extremely sluggish, and have a hard time forcing them to move any faster than a slow walk.

WHAT!? What!? :smallconfused: Medium and a Biped makes it so that he can walk at 30ft.

Blindsight: Although a slenderkin doesn’t appear to have any way of sensing anything, they can tell where everything around them is within a range of 60 feet. This improves to 90 feet when the slenderkin has 10 HD, and further increases to 120 feet when the slenderkin has 20 HD.

If they have Blindsight make it so that they cannot make a spot check.

Slender-walking: As a move action, a slenderkin can teleport himself, as if by Dimension Door as a caster of the slenderkins Hit Dice. They can transport themselves to any free space within their blindsight range, as long as it is also within range of their Dimension Door range limits as well. The slenderkin can only transport himself and whatever he possesses, as long as what he possesses isn’t over his maximum load. He cannot take other living beings with him, unless they are a part of him, such as a familiar. He can slender-walk anytime he desires, however, after a slender-walk, the slenderkin must wait 1d4 rounds before slender-walking again.

Why not just give them Dimension Door at will and increase the level adjustment (that I am still adamantly against, but to each their own) or limit it to a caster level of 7 and call it a day.

Natural weapons: 4 tentacles 1d6 bludgeoning. Has a reach of 10 feet.

... Sure :smallconfused:

Improved grab: If the slenderkin hits with at least 2 of his tentacles, he can make a grapple attempt as a free action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

As a bonus feat?

Frightful presence: Any creature that sees a slenderkin within 20 feet of the slenderkin must make a will save (DC 10+ half of character level+ charisma modifier) or become frightened. If they make the save, they are immune to this particular slenderkin’s frightful presence for 24 hours. Additionally, if the slenderkin successfully makes friendly contact through telepathy with a creature, that creature no longer has to make a will save in the future when it comes to the slenderkin’s frightful presence. Children are immune to this frightful presence.

Watch TribeTwelve. Not all Children aren't afraid of Slender Man (i.e. Mary Asher). Perhaps give Children a bonus or something?

Telepathy: Slenderkin can telepathically communicate with anyone who shares a language with them when they are a little less than 5 feet away. A slenderkin must be uncomfortably close to communicate.

... Why? If you were trying to replicate Slendy's ability to penetrate dreams, why not just give it Nightmare at will? :smallconfused:

Quiescence: A slenderkin is constantly silent, as per the silence spell, although the area does not extend beyond the creature itself. This quality gives it a +20 racial bonus on Move Silently checks (it is still possible for a slenderkin to create noise, such as by bumping into something that scrapes on the floor or by sounding a chime). The slenderkin can lower this effect at will.

I don't really know what too say about this beyond, "Why"?

Slenderkin have a racial -4 to diplomacy checks, unless communicating with another slenderkin. Also, they get a +4 racial bonus to diplomacy checks dealing with children.

That +4 bonus to children actually equates to a +2 bonus since they have a -4 ability modifier to Charisma.

Automatic Languages: Common and Slender. Bonus Languages: Elven, Dwarven, Gnome, Orc

If they're so quiet, why have a language at all?

Favored class: Rogue

The better to sneak attack you my dear!

LA: +2

I'm going to say this flat out. Anyone that actually wants to play as a Gorr'rylaehotep (See DarkHarvest00), doesn't actually know what it is.

Thoughts?

That is a silly question. As long as The Observer hasn't turned my mind into mush, I should always have thoughts :smallbiggrin:

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-12, 08:52 PM
There's also this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214704)

This one's got a link to a PDF at the bottom of the page with some player options, monsters, templates, etc. It's more geared for PF, though.

Debihuman
2013-04-13, 08:25 AM
Your LA is probably a bit low. It's more like LA +4. It may have a slow speed but it's negated by slenderwalking so that doesn't count towards a lower LA.

Debby

Rakoa
2013-04-13, 09:31 AM
I would recommend completely removing the Slenderkin's movement speed, and making their "Slender-Walking" ability not provoke an attack of opportunity as well as being impossible to negate. I don't think I've ever seen Slender Man walk, so it would make this creature feel a bit closer to the real thing.

I think Slender Man could make a really badass base class...

Phippster
2013-04-13, 11:31 AM
I would personally suggest switching its creature type to Aberration. Their appearance, attitude, and means of movement/communication all scream "This should not be," which fits aberrations much better than outsider.

TheOriginal
2013-04-13, 06:22 PM
I find this to be quite agreeable! Very well made and thought out. I like how it is set up and played out. Despite the horrifying origin of this race, I like what you have done!!