PDA

View Full Version : Advise for bard optimization (3.5)

keatondrebes
2013-04-12, 08:33 PM
Hello, I've been working on optimizing my bards race for a while, and I've come up with being a Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar with the Draconic Creature template (RotD). This leaves me with +1 LA +2 STR -4 DEX +6 CON +4 WIS +6 CHA. What I'm looking for is character template that has bonuses to DEX to help balance this out a bit. My dump stats is WIS, and I'm willing to lower my STR. LA doesn't bother me that much because the DM is allowing LA buyoff. (any other help on character build optimizing would be greatly appreciated).

Daftendirekt
2013-04-12, 08:40 PM
Read the Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870498/The_Bards_Handbook).

Optimize your Inspire Courage (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869994/Bard_Inspire_Courage_Optimization) and the party will love you. Pick up a longsword (or better, a Crystal Echoblade from the MIC, two, if you feel like TWFing) and the Snowflake Wardance feat from Frostburn. Choose dance as your Perform and enjoy being a pretty decent melee combatant with Cha to attack and Inspire Courage bonuses up.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-12, 08:41 PM
Hello, I've been working on optimizing my bards race for a while, and I've come up with being a Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar with the Draconic Creature template (RotD). This leaves me with +1 LA +2 STR -4 DEX +6 CON +4 WIS +6 CHA. What I'm looking for is character template that has bonuses to DEX to help balance this out a bit. My dump stats is WIS, and I'm willing to lower my STR. LA doesn't bother me that much because the DM is allowing LA buyoff. (any other help on character build optimizing would be greatly appreciated).

...A Dragonborn Draconic Lesser Aasimar would have a stat adjustment of +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom and +4 Charisma. I'm not sure where you're getting your extra modifiers from, however.

keatondrebes
2013-04-12, 09:04 PM
...A Dragonborn Draconic Lesser Aasimar would have a stat adjustment of +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Wisdom and +4 Charisma. I'm not sure where you're getting your extra modifiers from, however.

Yes, the draconic creature template (Races of the Dragon) adds +1 LA: +2 strength, -2 dexterity, +4 constitution, +2 wisdom, +4 charisma. But the Lesser aasimar race itself adds -2 dexterity, +2 constitution, +2 wisdom and +2 charisma, without any level adjustment.

Amnestic
2013-04-12, 09:07 PM
But the Lesser aasimar race itself adds -2 dexterity, +2 constitution, +2 wisdom and +2 charisma, without any level adjustment.

Lesser Aasimar doesn't have -2 Dex or +2 Con. Its only statmods are +2 Wis and +2 Cha. It is an all ways identical to normal Aasimar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) except the type changes from Outsider to Humanoid (Planetouched).

Namfuak
2013-04-12, 09:12 PM
Draconic creature gets Str +2, Con +2, Cha +2. Dragonborn gets +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity. So, in total, +2 str, +4 con, -2 dex, +2 wis, +4 cha, +0 int. Though I wouldn't allow Dragonborn and Draconic to be taken together since I'd say it's double dipping/redundant, but that's not pertinent to the thread.

Unseelie fey get +2 to dex, but -2 con. They also get +2 cha though, so that would be nice for you.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-12, 09:28 PM
Lesser Aasimar doesn't have -2 Dex or +2 Con. Its only statmods are +2 Wis and +2 Cha. It is an all ways identical to normal Aasimar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) except the type changes from Outsider to Humanoid (Planetouched).

Draconic creature gets Str +2, Con +2, Cha +2. Dragonborn gets +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity. So, in total, +2 str, +4 con, -2 dex, +2 wis, +4 cha, +0 int. Though I wouldn't allow Dragonborn and Draconic to be taken together since I'd say it's double dipping/redundant, but that's not pertinent to the thread.

Unseelie fey get +2 to dex, but -2 con. They also get +2 cha though, so that would be nice for you.

As I said before - a Dragonborn (+2 CON, -2 DEX) Draconic (+2 STR, +2 CON, +2 CHA) Lesser Aasimar (+2 WIS, +2 CHA) nets you a total of +2 STR, -2 DEX, +4 CON, +2 WIS and +4 CHA.

You aren't, by any chance, using dandwiki as a reference, are you?