PDA

View Full Version : An rpg that requires no books.

xBlackWolfx
2013-04-12, 08:35 PM
Earlier today my house had a power outage, which left me unable to read any of my pdfs or use my computer in general. I started to consider the idea of memorizing some of my books, but then i thought, why not just make an rpg that requires no books, as in its so simplistic you can easily memorize all the rules, no need for an encyclopedia of monsters and spells, and allows you to whip up characters and monsters rather quickly.

The specific game I've been thinking about all day looks a lot like a contestant for one of those '24-hour rpgs' or something.

In my system, there are no skills, feats, or attributes (at least, in the traditional sense).

Characters have only five (or six, not sure yet) ability scores. They are combat, finesse, magic, charisma, intellect, and maybe profession.

The rules that govern them, are a bit on the complex side.

Combat, finesse, and magic are the three abilities used in combat. You can choose to attack with any of them, or choose any of them to defend against an attack. Combat only applies to melee combat, both offensively and defensively (so you cant use it to protect yourself from a spell or an arrow, unless you have a shield or something).

Combat is involves two characters rolling 2d6+ability score and seeing who gets the higher result (the loser takes damage equal to the difference). In the case of combat vs combat rolls, the winner automatically damages the loser regardless of wheather they were defending or attacking (this doesn't happen with the other abilities). All characters have 10 hit points.

Finesse mostly determines the 'rogue' skills, such as stealth, though it also determines ranged combat. It can be used to dodge attacks, which can be used to avoid some magic spells, ranged attacks, and even melee attacks, though your opponent won't take damage if you win.

Magic can really only be defended against with magic, only area-of-effect spells can be avoided with another ability (in this case, finesse). I'm not sure what spells will be available, right the only options are damage, reduce ability, increase ability, and defend-against-magic. Ability modification will simply involve rolling against a set score and adding to the attribute a number equal to how much you beat the DC by.

I may have a rule that allows multiple enemies to attack one target. The rule is simply the guy with the highest score does the roll, but gets an additional d6 for each person aiding him.

The use of charisma is obvious, and intellect is only used if none of your abilities would aid you in a certain task. It basically represents the character's ability to learn and adapt (though it is also used for knowledge checks).

The profession ability would encompass common skills that players may want to have (such as crafting skills, or riding an animal, infact i was originally going to call this one simply 'crafting'). It will probably be a 'customizable' ability, where the player chooses exactly what it modifies (it may also be possible to select multiple different professions.

Monsters obviously don't have the latter three abilities, infact most won't even have all three of the others (they'll typically only have one or maybe two). Pretty easy to conjure up monsters, decide wheather its a big strong monster, a fast agile monster, or a spell-casting monster, give it a suitable score, and voila!

What do you think? I think it accomplishes the design goal rather well, though it is a bit on the complex side I dont think its beyond easy memorization. Hell, all the rules can easily fit on a single page.

DMMike
2013-04-13, 08:06 PM
Can there be a system that doesn't need books?

Sure!

Why do any roleplaying games need books?

Two reasons: details and explanations. Details are things like "how much does an average inn room cost to rent?" and "who is not affected by my Interpolate Astronomica spell?" Explanations are things like the pages and charts used to explain D&D 3.5's attacks of opportunity.

Get rid of the details and explanations, and you don't need a book no more.

Covok
2013-04-13, 09:26 PM
Might I suggest the free to use, indie RPG Risus? New to the forums so I don't know if I can link it or not, but the proper page is the first result I get in google. It's a very simple D6 system that's great for one shots. The rules are so simple you'll likely never have to consult the books. That said, its really made for one shots and I don't think it'd work for longer games.

xBlackWolfx
2013-04-17, 02:33 AM
Can there be a system that doesn't need books?

Sure!

Why do any roleplaying games need books?

Two reasons: details and explanations. Details are things like "how much does an average inn room cost to rent?" and "who is not affected by my Interpolate Astronomica spell?" Explanations are things like the pages and charts used to explain D&D 3.5's attacks of opportunity.

Get rid of the details and explanations, and you don't need a book no more.

I'm not sure if you're being serious, or just trying to mock me, but I'll answer it seriously anyway.

Things like that, I imagine, the GM could make up as they go along. The game works on the assumption that you're making your own setting, with your own monsters and what-not.

General Hoedown
2013-04-17, 05:42 AM
I knocked this up, is it something close to what you mean:

No-Books RPG

Characters have six Attributes: Strength, Agility, Cuteness, Meanness, Smarts and Will.

When trying to do something, a character rolls d6 + Attribute to beat either a fixed or opposed difficulty.

A fixed difficulty is 3 for an easy task, 4 for a challenging one, 5 for a difficult one and 6 for a heroic task. You would use fixed difficulty when a character is taking actions against objects or forces of nature.

An opposed difficulty is literally another character rolling d6 + Attribute, with the higher of the two results winning. You would use opposed difficulty when one character is taking actions against another character.

When there are gradient levels of available success, apply the amount by which the difficulty was succeeded in whatever way makes sense. A successful attack inflicts damage equal to the amount the attack won the opposed roll, successful healing restores damage equal to the amount the roll exceeded the difficulty.

The GM may grant a bonus or penalty to the roll depending on the circumstances and the setting. A warrior attacking without a sword may get a penalty to her Strength roll to attack a goblin, whereas a mage without appropriate implements may get a penalty to whatever attribute he's using to cast.

The GM may automatically fail actions that are not within a character's concept. An explicitly non-magical swordsman cannot cast spells, a necromancer presumably cannot heal people, etc.

Your Strength is also your HP. Any attack is always opposed difficulty, and the amount by which the winner wins is inflicted on the loser's Strength as a penalty.

You make a character by splitting a number of points between their attributes. Remember that attributes start at 1 and are increased from there. Normally you would use like 15 points, but you can do whatever you like. Character advancement comes in the form of 1 attribute point to be assigned at the end of a suitably impressive adventure.