PDA

View Full Version : New spells (3.5 PEACH)

inuyasha
2013-04-13, 05:58 AM
Life force alteration
Transmutation
Level: Clr 8
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: touch
Target: One living creature besides a plant, ooze, or elemental
Duration: Permenant
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes
When you touch the creature after the spell is cast, you change the element to which their life force is attuned, and to what it is the opposite of. see below for a fuller explanaition
Living creatures are attuned to postitive energy, the opposite is negative energy
Undead are attuned to negative energy, the opposite is positive energy
the energy to which a creatures life (or unlife) force is made of determines what heals it, and also what its opposite is (what harms it). When this spell is cast, you can permenantly change a creatures attunement to one of the ones shown in this table
{table]Healed by| Hurt by
Positive energy|Negative energy
Negative energy|Positive energy
Fire| Cold
Cold| Fire
Electricity|Acid
Acid|Electricity
[/table]
When this happens, the appearence of the creatures blood changes to fit its new attunement (red for positive, black for negative, silver for electricity, green for acid, orange and glowing for fire, and blue for cold). IF the creature succeeded its save, the infusion went wrong and the creature takes 5d8 points of damage, the type of this damage is the type the caster wanted to attune the subject to. A remove curse, dispel magic, or greater dispel magic removes all effects of this spell

Tooth of the wolf
Conjuration (summoning)
Level: Clr 6
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25ft+5ft/2levels)
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: no
Spell Resistance: no
When this spell is cast, 1d4+1/2 levels Yeth hounds are summoned from the depths of hell, they may attack immediately and do as the caster wishes for the duration

Debihuman
2013-04-13, 11:40 AM
Tooth of the Wolf is really a summoning spell. Yeth Hounds can already be summoned by Cleric using Summon Monster IV. I don't really see this as an improvement. BTW If a cleric casts Summon Monster V, the cleric can summon 1d3 Yeth Hounds.

Debby

Ilorin Lorati
2013-04-13, 11:45 AM
And all summon spells should be a 1 round action, not a standard action. This is to give the enemy a chance to negate it, for balance purposes.

eftexar
2013-04-13, 03:16 PM
Life Force Alteration needs a way to remove it (and definitely not wish). It could be a disease, a curse, or require a specific kind of healing spell to remove. And while it could feasibly be used to remove itself, it's so specific a spell I don't think it's fair to require another caster to take it just to remove it.

I'm against any effect that permanently messes with a character against their will and doesn't have some way for it to be undone. That's why I hate energy drain with a passion, but am fine with effects like Trap the Soul.

rweird
2013-04-14, 10:25 AM
Life Force Alteration needs a way to remove it (and definitely not wish). It could be a disease, a curse, or require a specific kind of healing spell to remove. And while it could feasibly be used to remove itself, it's so specific a spell I don't think it's fair to require another caster to take it just to remove it.

I'm against any effect that permanently messes with a character against their will and doesn't have some way for it to be undone. That's why I hate energy drain with a passion, but am fine with effects like Trap the Soul.

It has a permanent duration, and thusly can be dispelled as normal.

inuyasha
2013-04-14, 10:53 AM
It has a permanent duration, and thusly can be dispelled as normal.
this is correct

look at the above :)

And all summon spells should be a 1 round action, not a standard action. This is to give the enemy a chance to negate it, for balance purposes.
going to fix it

Tooth of the Wolf is really a summoning spell. Yeth Hounds can already be summoned by Cleric using Summon Monster IV. I don't really see this as an improvement. BTW If a cleric casts Summon Monster V, the cleric can summon 1d3 Yeth Hounds.

Debby

how is this not an improvement??? one level higher and you summon 1d4+ half your level yeth hounds

eftexar
2013-04-14, 04:54 PM
I hadn't even realized permanent spells could even be dispelled. Permanency suddenly becomes a crappy spell (though I can't recall a time when I ever needed it anyways).

I did find this text on page 177 of the PH "Permanent: The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic," but, without reading that single line, the Dispel Magic text just says it "end(s) ongoing spells" "as if its duration had expired."

So permanent was arguable not an ongoing duration and it might not have been able to be dispelled because it's duration never expires.

Nothing against your spell then, but the rules just seem a tad wonky. You would think they would reference that rule in dispel magic. It especially doesn't help when many DMs houserule permanency to work like magic items.

TuggyNE
2013-04-14, 08:32 PM
I hadn't even realized permanent spells could even be dispelled. Permanency suddenly becomes a crappy spell (though I can't recall a time when I ever needed it anyways). […] It especially doesn't help when many DMs houserule permanency to work like magic items.

Well, now you know why they do: permanency is junk otherwise, because you spend XP to get an effect that lasts only as long as it's not dispelled.

Debihuman
2013-04-15, 02:16 AM
It's the same level as summon monster V. 1 bearded devil vs. potentially 9 yeth hounds is not fair. It mess up the CR and is unbalanced for that reason. It also needs a cap. Had you based it on an ability modifier, it might be less problematic.

Debby

Amechra
2013-04-15, 03:07 AM
It's equivalent to Summon Monster VI, Debihuman.

It's a 6th level spell.

inuyasha
2013-04-15, 08:14 AM
It's the same level as summon monster V. 1 bearded devil vs. potentially 9 yeth hounds is not fair. It mess up the CR and is unbalanced for that reason. It also needs a cap. Had you based it on an ability modifier, it might be less problematic.

Debby

it may not be fair, yes, then just dont use it for combat? use them as scouts, cannon fodder, something to have fun in a goblin village? (heheh)

Henlein_Kosh
2013-04-15, 08:23 AM
Do I understand Life force alteration right: have the cleric cast it on all party members atuning them to cold, and then wade into melee while the wizard blasts them and the enemies with Cone of cold, healing the party and damaging the enemy?

Debihuman
2013-04-15, 09:00 AM
it may not be fair, yes, then just dont use it for combat? use them as scouts, cannon fodder, something to have fun in a goblin village? (heheh)

This is just too ripe for abuse in game. I'd never allow it. And you know every Killer DM is just itching to use this against PCs. I see a lot of TPKs with this. It needs to be higher level and have a +5 cap.

Debby

inuyasha
2013-04-15, 09:08 AM
This is just too ripe for abuse in game. I'd never allow it. And you know every Killer DM is just itching to use this against PCs. I see a lot of TPKs with this. It needs to be higher level and have a +5 cap.

Debby

hmm ok :) but yeth hounds are only CR 3? not that powerful for an outsider

Debihuman
2013-04-15, 11:28 AM
A single yeth hound is CR 3. The CR of 9 of them is CR 10 (using the online SRD CR calculator).

Debby