PDA

View Full Version : Is d20 Modern Compatible with any other systems?

DontEatRawHagis
2013-04-13, 08:57 AM
So I got d20 modern a long time ago and just decided to read it. Reading the battlemind class, I immediately fell in love. Psionic blades, ability to do tricks that are Psionic, but not game breaking.

That being said, is it compatible with any DnD game? I don't have much free time so I thought there must be some consensus on this already. My friend loves pathfinder a lot and if I could play a class like this.

EccentricCircle
2013-04-13, 04:08 PM
D20 modern is broadly compatable with all of the other D20 varients yes.
Converting stuff between it and D&D/ Pathfinder shouldn't be much harder than converting between 3.0, 3.5 and Pathfinder, so long as you are a bit flexible with the rules. There are a few things that aren't quite the same, such as the way all of the classes build off a generic base class, then go into an advanced class, but the core of the system is the same, so a D20 modern advanced class should work out ok. I can't find the specific class you mention what book is it in?) so I can't say for sure, but it might be best to treat it more like a prestige class rather than trying to play it as a base class, which won't quite work without a bit of homebrewing.

Hope that helps.

Rainbownaga
2013-04-16, 01:32 AM
D20 modern is based off 3.0 so it is roughly compatible if you take out the defenses.

In 3.5 you should fix the saving throw bonuses to standard progressions and possibly allow the 3.5 rules and equivalent powers.

I don't think there will be major balance issues (no more than already exist within 3.5).

Ashtagon
2013-04-16, 02:54 AM
D20 modern is based off 3.0 so it is roughly compatible if you take out the defenses.

In 3.5 you should fix the saving throw bonuses to standard progressions and possibly allow the 3.5 rules and equivalent powers.

I don't think there will be major balance issues (no more than already exist within 3.5).

Standard save progressions? If you examine the save progressions WITH SCIENCE!, you'll find that they are all either good, poor, or medium (halfway between good and poor). d20m simply added a third kind of standardised progression.

Yes, there are a few typos in the book, just like every other book.

Overall, the power curve is a lot flatter in d20m compared to later games. Notably, most weapons can induce a massive damage save. "Spellcasters" don't even get spells until level four at least. They cap out at 5th level spells. And ritual magic (loosely based off the structure of 3e epic spells) is available to anyone.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-04-16, 04:07 AM
"Spellcasters" don't even get spells until level four at least.
There's a couple of background feats that can give you cantrips, but yeah.

There's a couple of problems with using the Battle Mind class in Pathfinder. The first is that the class system is totally different, so the class is made with some assumptions about how you're going to be qualifying for it and what role it will play in your overall build, as well as what your fellow players and NPCs are going to be doing with their characters. If you treat it as a regular prestige class you will probably find it underwhelming because it's designed with a much lower level of magic and psionics in mind and also for a game where all comparable abilities only start at character level 4.
The other problem is that d20 Modern psionics are closer to 3.0 than 3.5. If you take the power list from Modern it will be in a different system to any psionics indigenous to the setting and if you use the powers from Pathfinder you'll have to make adjustments to the power progression (I'm not sure about Pathfinder, but I know that in 3.5 0th level powers no longer exist, for example).

There's a couple of projects out there converting d20 Modern to Pathfinder, maybe your friend would be interested in running a game under that system? It would just make conversion of classes like the Battle Mind that much easier.

(I seem to be saying "there's a couple of" a lot. I should keep an eye on that)