PDA

View Full Version : A Brave New World

Madfellow
2013-04-13, 09:56 AM
In the southwestern corner of the Republic of New Anglia, near the borders to Kebecca and Messipia, sits a large, proud city upon a large, proud river. This is the city of Philosport, and it is the center of trade in the borderlands of New Anglia. The river originates in the southern mountain range, beyond which lie the orc tribes of Messipia. To the west lie the hidden gnomish hamlets of Kebecca. Traders, trappers, and wayward travelers alike all pass through Philosport on their way to the larger world, or back from it. Because of that, it attracts all kinds of people; for better and for worse.

Along the river's edge, busy ports and bustling markets are always working away. In the more distant corners of the town, anything could be going on at any time. A neighborhood could be quiet because its tenants are contented, satisfied citizens... or simply because they don't want the authorities to hear their conversations.

In one such neighborhood in the northwest corner of town sits a small tavern, the Wayward Sailor. The sun has just gone down, and lanterns are slowly being lit all along the street and inside the pub. It is a fairly busy evening in the Wayward Sailor, and people of all types fill its tables. Someone has taken it upon themselves to paste a pamphlet to the window facing the street. Anyone walking on the west side has seen this pamphlet copied on every street. In big bold letters it reads:

Need Muscle For Hire
If Interested, Meet in the Wayward Sailor at 7:00 pm.

Outside the tavern, a clock tower reads 6:55.

Fortis
2013-04-13, 11:04 AM
Amna quietly strode the streets of the neighborhood, looking around at the unfamiliar surroundings. She wasn't used to huge cities like this. The elvish settlement she had come from, while large, was more dispersed and integrated with the surrounding nature and wilderness. This place just shoved wilderness aside, and grew a forest of buildings in its place. Still, it was a good place to start her journeys. Provided, of course, she could find a source of funding. Right now, she was down to just ten gold pieces.

As she walked along, something caught her eye. There was a tavern on the street corner. She'd seen plenty of taverns, but this one had something posted up on it's wall. There was a pamphlet, advertising a job. 'Need Muscle for Hire' was the exact phrasing. Amna knew she wasn't exactly muscle, but what did one need muscle for? Manual labor was one thing, but often it was for killing things too. The latter she could do thanks to her vials and concoctions, or at least make it much easier for someone else to kill them. And judging by the setting sun, it was nearly 7:00 now. If nothing else, she could use the break to rest her feet for a bit.

Walking into the busy tavern, she just found one of the few empty tables and sat down. Most of the patrons ignored her, aside from the few curious looks. For the most part, Amna tried to ignore them, though the whistles and catcalls from a few of the more drunken individuals made her blush. She scanned the various patrons, trying to spot the one that posted the job offer.

Zakalwe
2013-04-13, 01:25 PM
I'm inside the city watch, i feel naked, without my weapons but i have little choice. My old friend Lieutenant Stonehold is about to give me the talk, for the umpteenth time. My head hurts, i must have had more than i thought last night, come to think of it i don't remember what i could have done to deserve my place in the cells!

"I'm sorry lad, we just cannot keep doing this. You roughed up the wrong kid this time, a little brat of a noble he may be, hell i wish i could have shown him up like you did....but the kids family have connections and those connections have clout here. Your making a habit of this, what is it now..hmm...5 nights out of the last 15! Too often my friend, the city is changing, power struggles grow and soldiers like you and I are not always wanted h..."

The haze is clearing slightly...

I'm sitting at a small alfresco eatery by the bank of the river. Watching the city live whilst enjoying a cool refreshing Hesperic wine. I'm startled from my good thoughts by the wailing of a child, looking over i see some contemptible oaf of a youth, all the colours of a peacock and all the brains to go with it, dangling a young human boy by the wrist about 2 feet off the ground, the child barely three perhaps.

" Get your filthy hands off my cloak! look what you have done, this is from the finest tailor in the city! You should show your betters more respect!"

I arise slowly and approach the scene putting on my best limp and rubbing my chest, trying not to loose my temper. The youth is showing off his power to the small group of posturing morons who accompany him. He has a house sigil upon his breast but it's of no consequence to me. My blood is up, my good mood stolen and replaced by a longing for a scrap. Part of me knows it is foolish and beneath me, but the sight of the child, reminds me of what i lost and ... well i don't know perhaps the wine and heat were to blame too...

"Hey!, you!, yes you, the peahen, let the child go. He has done you no harm, all he wanted to do was touch your gloriously coloured cloak. I'm sure he finds it a wonderful sight! i myself agree, it would make a rather pretty hanky, a fine present for any deserving women."

The youth is sputtering in incredulity, egged on by his followers. I discretely show him my sword belt and he arises to the bait...

"...Hey are you listening too me?"
A hefty slap to the face rouses me from my memories.
"Look Castro, enough i am serious this time. You cannot afford another incident like this, you crossed the line and gave the kid a scar, you know how you humans treasure your beautiful faces so much."
I cannot help but smile as Thurgh does his human dandy expression, too much time amongst the taller folk i think.

" Look it has come to my attention that there is a job going that you may be suitable for. Take your mind off things, give you something to do, a goal perhaps. Help you find yourself again. Well?...."

"Look go clean yourself up, and make your way to the Wayward sailor on the north east side of town by 7, i must emphasise that the jail is not your personal guest house, now begone kid"

Its 6.00 when i reach the tavern, finding a corner table facing the door, i order some wine. Its not brilliant but good enough, i wonder whether the wench has had orders to water mine down, i wouldn't put it past the old dwarf, the fish stew though was good it filled a hole left by the jail gruel.. Regardless i am to keep my head and get this job, i owe it to Stonehold at least, the gods know i owe him more than this.

It must be nearly 7 when a young tiefling strolls in, she has an air of energy that reminds me of my youth, i cannot help but smile as i think about me at her age, though i quickly drop me head as she looks over.
To pass the time i start sizing up the other patrons, any duellists, who favour what leg when walking, their posture and how they react to the unexpected.

" keep that brain of yours going Castro, your a good man and a good soldier, do not loose that edge you had, one of my finest pupils"

Madfellow
2013-04-13, 01:44 PM
The bar hosts a small crowd of patrons; laborers, merchants, militiamen, trappers, and even a couple of priests. Most everyone seems to be preoccupied with their own business. Amna doesn't notice anyone who stands out, or who looks like they're trying to stand out. A couple people take notice of her, though. One smug-looking fellow with a clean shaven face and a fancy vest approaches her.

"Why hello there," he says, "Are you at all interested in magic?" He reaches to her ear and pulls a silver dollar out of it.

Castro takes notice of the militiamen. Most of them carry muskets, but a few have swords. All of them are getting very drunk.

Sol
2013-04-13, 02:59 PM
Friggins (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=550988)

With his longbow slung over his shoulder and quiver full of arrow-like contraptions, Jacob attracted more than a few eyes as he walked into Philosport.

It was only a two day walk from the town of Misthaven to the city, but he'd never made the trip before. Still, money was in short supply in the outer villiages, and some of the arrow modifications his master had taught him were costly. A city this size would offer plenty of opportunities, even if it meant doing parlor tricks like shooting arrows off of some terrified child's head.

No sooner had he passed under the west gate than he saw a sign that he had come to the right place. It read:

Need Muscle For Hire
If Interested, Meet in the Wayward Sailor at 7:00 pm.

Asking a street urchin for directions, he flipped the kid a copper piece and headed for the tavern.

Inside, he heads for the bar, takes an available stool, and orders a mug of cider.

Madfellow
2013-04-13, 03:20 PM
At the bar a patron is complaining loudly to the barkeep about the quality of the food. The barkeep is a middle-aged man, either a short human or a tall dwarf. It's hard to say for certain. He is doing his best to ignore the complaining customer.

"That's two copper pennies for the cider," he says. "Can I tempt you with our house special? Rack of lamb and baked potato."

Sol
2013-04-13, 03:29 PM

Tossing the barkeep three copper pennies, Friggins nods assent.

Sure. Walking in from Misthaven was hungry business. Any chance you know who posted the signs?

Madfellow
2013-04-13, 03:40 PM
"I do, as a matter of fact," the barkeep says as he pours Jacob's cider. "He should be along any minute."

Madfellow
2013-04-13, 06:32 PM
"Why? Are you interested in the job he's offering?"

Across the bar, one of the militiamen stumbles over in Castro's direction. "Friends!" he exclaims, looking around at the patrons, "Raise your glasses with me! Help me toast the bravest man I ever knew! To Claude!"

Fortis
2013-04-14, 12:03 AM
Amna

A few more individuals were arriving, particularly the human with the bow. She glanced up, wondering if he was the person offering the job. But then he just sat down, and ordered a drink. It struck Amna like he was just waiting too. Perhaps someone else waiting to apply for the job. Either way, not the individual she was looking for. She couldn't guess which of the patrons would be offering the job, being unused to city life. Until the employer showed him or herself, she would just have to wait.

It definitely wasn't the smug fellow who approached her, and tried to impress her with a simple sleight of hand trick. One of Amna's own hands went down to rest on her coin purse. She wasn't sure if he was that desperate for female companionship to overlook her horns and tail, or if he had other designs. Or who knows, he could just be looking to entertain. Either way, it didn't hurt to not take chances, as something about this human made her a little uncomfortable. "Yes, but not that kind of magic." Amna said. "I'm a scholar by trade, and I'm interested in the history of magic. Real magic that can alter the physical word as we perceive it."

Sol
2013-04-14, 12:22 AM

Jacob raises his glass at the toast and takes a swig of his cider before answering the barkeep.

Might be, if it pays well enough. Can't really say if it's his job or another's that interests me, before I hear the details. Who's Claude?

Madfellow
2013-04-14, 09:20 AM
"Oh. I... um... sorry." It was only then that he seemed to take notice of Amna's staff and pouches of alchemical components. "Oh."

"Claude, I believe, is an old friend of theirs. I'm not acquainted."

Zakalwe
2013-04-14, 11:06 AM
Castro looks up and casts his eyes around the room, before settling on the man stumbling his way.

"To Claude" Castro says softly whilst raising his drink and giving a respectful nod.

Fortis
2013-04-14, 11:15 AM
Amna just chuckled as the smug man lost his smug grin. Leaning back, she just got out the bottle of elvish wine she brought with her and poured herself a small cup and sipped at it. "It's okay. I appreciate the effort, but I'm not really here to seek companionship, or even to drink." Amna said. "I'm actually hoping to meet someone here about a job. I saw the posters asking for 'muscle for hire'. I was wanting to learn more about it, I'm a little hard up for gold right now. I figure what I lack in muscle, I can make up with my various concoctions. Do you know who was advertising that job?"

Madfellow
2013-04-14, 11:44 AM
Outside the bar two men walk by. One is young and lean, the other is tall and broad. The younger man approaches the window and takes down the flyer and the two men enter the tavern. They walk up to the barkeep.

"I'm opening a tab," the lad says. "I'll start with some ale."

When he receives it he turns around and spots the militiamen in the corner. "Oh, was that today? Shame. Cheers, brother." He takes a slow, thoughtful drink from his mug.

Then the two men find a table and sit down. The lad lays the flyer down on the table for everyone to see. He takes another drink.

The smug man glances in their direction. "I think it might be him," he says.

[OOC: Alright, I'm going to kick things off now. Fortunato and Durham can jump into the conversation as soon as they show up.]

Grumbles
2013-04-14, 02:11 PM
Durham hated coming this far into town for work. He was comfortable on the docks, he knew most everyone who regularly had business there. If work weren't so slow in his normal haunts, he never would have given the flyer a second thought, but things as they were...

He had arrived late, but that was never a problem at the docks. The only appointments that anyone was expected to keep there were the departure times for the merchant ships. As Durham was approaching the Wayward Sailor, he saw two men step in ahead of him and pull down the flyer. "At least I know who I'm looking for..." the half-orc thought as he pressed into the tavern.

Durham made his way slowly to the bar, eyeing the other patrons. Mostly humans, some old soldiers reliving the past. Nothing out of the ordinary except perhaps the Tiefling, and even that barely registered. When he arrived at the bar, Durham motioned for a single ale. He dropped some coin on the bar in exchange for his drink and walked slowly to the table occupied by the men with the flyer. Still standing, Durham announced himself to the table.

"I'm here to see about some work. You the ones I need to talk to?"

NorseItalian
2013-04-14, 05:43 PM
A ver small man in a very large hat sauntered into the tavern after most of the patrons has already arrived. Entering the building with his head in the clouds (something of a challenge when your head sits so close to the ground), he was blissfully unaware of any job offerings. He was here for one thing and one thing only: wine, women- two things- and song- three things, three things only.

Fortunato Bonaventura pulled himself up onto one of the tall barstools. "Bartender! Give a-me a short glass of ale, if a-you please." He grinned. Hearing Durham, he spun around on his stool and hopped down onto the floor, sauntering over to the table. "Hey, did I hear a-you say something about a-some kind of a-work? What kind of a-work are a-you talking about?"

Madfellow
2013-04-14, 07:25 PM
"Yes, that would be me," the lad says. "Have a seat. What are you drinking? The next round is on me. I am Private Mason of the New Anglian National Militia."

Up close, Durham and Fortunato can now see that the second man, the larger and broader one, is in fact a clockwork golem. Its owner has dressed it up in a coat and hat as a kind of improvised disguise.

Sol
2013-04-14, 09:37 PM

Jacob asks the bartender to send his lamb out to him whenever it's ready, and heads over towards the table where the lad with the flyer has stationed himself.

Somehow, he finds himself third-in-line to speak with him, behind a half-orc and a gnome.

When the man looks up at him, he gestures at the half-orc and speaks:

I know I may not look like much "muscle" compared to this gent, but if what you need done requires as much skill as strength, my bow may be of assistance.

Fortis
2013-04-14, 09:50 PM
As the two men walked in, Amna looked up. The shorter one seemed fairly normal, but something about the taller fellow seemed off. But more importantly, they seemed to be the ones who had posted the job flyer. She corked the bottle and tucked it away in her pack, before getting up and heading over to the two. It was midway over when she realized what was off with the large man. He wasn’t a man at all, but some sort of construct! Fascinated, Amna went up to the clockwork golem to look him over.

“Extraordinary… is this magic, or a brilliant assembly? What powers this man?” She asked, forgetting herself temporarily. When the human began talking, she reluctantly returned to the present. “Oh, um, hello. I was curious about the job as well. I don’t have much in the way of muscle, being a scholar and alchemist by trade, but I’ve other skills that can help out a militia. I can brew potions to keep the militia alive. I’ve other concoctions that will help out in a fight too.”

Madfellow
2013-04-15, 08:44 AM
"Yes, of course," Private Mason says to Jacob, "Please, have a seat. It's been a while since I saw a bow. The last one I think was in the hands of an orc that the empire had convinced to join their ranks." He turns back to the barkeep. "Jordan! Bring out a pitcher and a handful of mugs."

Then he notices the tiefling woman hovering over the golem. "Please don't touch that. It's already damaged." He points at its eye socket, which has a large dent in it. He looks her over. "An alchemist, huh? Yes, it's always good to have a spell or a potion in a pinch." He glances back at the golem. "You're drawing too much attention. Wait outside."

The golem turns around and leaves.

"I'm not sure exactly how much of it is just cogs and gears and how much is hocus-pocus. All I know is that it costs nearly its weight in silver."

A moment later a serving girl arrives with the private's pitcher and mugs, as well as Jacob's rack of lamb.

Grumbles
2013-04-15, 09:47 AM
Durham takes a seat and eyes the others who had come to the table warily. They didn't seem the type that normally turned up for a "muscle for hire" job. He had an unsettling feeling that this job was not going to go as smoothly as he was used to. The golem didn't help.

"You're a Private? So is this job menial, or outside the official business of the militia?" The question was direct but not confrontational.

Zakalwe
2013-04-15, 10:06 AM
Castro waited until the queue for this "job" had died down. Seemed to be an odd assortment to take on as muscle, though he was certain the dark skinned gent had that in abundance, the others he could only assume met different requirements.

Oh well, time to pay me dues i guess, Castro thought. Knocking back his drink he grabbed his hat arose, and sauntered over to the table. The hefty fellow passing him on the way, Castro was hoping that guy was going to be on his side because he looked like he could pack a punch.

Reaching the table, he nods respectfully, to all seated at it. Before addressing the young man,
"Greetings, i gather your have a job opportunity that i may be suitable for.

Madfellow
2013-04-15, 10:29 AM
Private Mason nodded to the newcomer. "The job is neither menial nor illicit," he said. "Allow me to explain. I am here on behalf of Captain Merle. It's rather embarrassing for the militia to be hiring people off the street, but well, we're sorely understaffed." He took a drink. "The war's over. Soldiers have gone back home, or they're helping with reconstruction projects, or they're dead or, like myself, just working to keep the peace. We are spread very thin at the moment. Captain Merle has started hiring people to help fill in the cracks. And like I said, it's an embarrassment for both the militia and the Republic, which is why we're meeting here instead of at headquarters."

Fortis
2013-04-15, 11:12 AM
Amna looked disappointed as the golem left. Sighing softly, she just sat down, and declined the beer offered by the serving girl. Instead, she just listened to what Private Mason had to say about the job. "So, there's a new threat that the militia are too few to handle then? Or just an older threat that was forgotten while the war occupied everyone's attention?" Amna asked, as private Mason discussed the situation of the militia of New Anglia. "What exactly is the job?"

NorseItalian
2013-04-15, 11:33 AM
Fortunato's eyes begin to glaze over as the man speaks. Militia work? Hardly his... forté. He chuckled inwardly at the small joke. His ears did perk up at Amna's words. A new threat? Something the militia couldn't handle? Well that made it all quite a bit more interesting. Grabbing his ale, he took a seat at the table. Invited or not, he was interested. He had been itching for some fun, and this might just be hit ticket to adventure. Sipping on his ale, he sat back and waited for the private to continue.

Madfellow
2013-04-15, 12:26 PM
"Orcs," Mason answered. "The tribes have been gathering in the south, near a large settlement. The captain is concerned about a potential attack in the near future, and the republic is particularly vulnerable right now. Your job is simple: we just need you to scout around the territory a bit. Report on what kinds of numbers you see, how many different tribes, what kinds of weapons they have, what they're doing. That's it. And for your trouble, the militia can pay you seventy gold angels each."

Grumbles
2013-04-15, 07:09 PM
Orcs. Durham shifted uncomfortably in his chair was suddenly acutely aware of his underbite and protruding lower canine teeth.

"I'll go." he muttered. "I'm from the South. I know the area well enough."

Durham turned up his ale and tried not to meet anyone's eye.

Sol
2013-04-15, 10:46 PM

Jacob tips the serving girl a copper penny and begins eating messily while listening to Private Mason. He frowns, though it's not clear if it's due to what he's hearing or what he's eating.

Between bites and gulps, he turns to the half-orc and speaks.

I should've listened to the gent at the bar; this is awful. Would you like some? he licks his fingers and continues eating hungrily.

When his plate is licked clean, he turns to the lad.
Mason, is it? What happened to the orc gent with the bow? I wouldn't mind meeting him, though it seems you'd rather test my bow against his....less tame brothers. So be it, I've tracked worse for less.

What happened to your construct? I knew a great inventor once, who taught me a few simple tinkering tricks.

Zakalwe
2013-04-16, 03:31 AM
hmm, Orcs! Thought Castro. Tough and potentially very dangerous, though scouting for the militia would be step into the past again. Could be a needed change of pace in his life.

Well i am in, i'm sure there are a few more details to come? Now about this payment, the Angels i'm ok with, but i would also like to commandeer a musket for this mission, i'm sure the militia can spare one for a little while. I'll sign for it of course. what about provisions, who is providing them?
So paper contract, or are the militia too embarrassed to have anything so official? Either way i'll join you in a drink.

Castro beckons over a serving woman "Two of what our mutual friend here is having please "

Madfellow
2013-04-16, 09:07 AM
"The orc? Oh, he died. I swear, it took about half a dozen bullets to bring him down; he was a stubborn one. Which brings me to another point: I'd recommend that you not engage the orcs out there."

He glances outside. "The golem got that dent while helping repair the headquarters' roof. One of the privates got careless with his hammer. The sergeant just about exploded when he found out. If you think you can fix it you should talk to someone at HQ. They might be willing to compensate you."

"Regarding the mission, yes, I'm sure the captain can spare a musket for you. As for provisions, you would have to purchase those yourself. However, I am authorized to give you a small advance on your payment: up to 20 angels each. There is a contract to sign too. More of a waiver, really, saying the militia isn't responsible for injuries sustained, blah blah blah. I've got it in here somewhere."

He starts rummaging through his pockets.

The serving girl comes over and pours Castro a couple of drinks out of the large pitcher in the center of the table. "That's what this is for, dear," she says with a smile.

As the private pulls out the contract, the golem reenters the bar. It walks up to the lad and puts a hand on his shoulder.

"What is it now?" the private asks impatiently.

The golem points outside.

"Alright, alright." He turns to the group. "You guys can look the contract over. I'll be right back."

The two walk out.

Fortis
2013-04-16, 10:56 AM
Seventy gold angels. Not a fortune, but enough to fund her travels for quite a while. Besides, taking the job meant that she might get a chance to study that remarkable golem later. It seemed that she wasn't the only one with an interest in it too, one of the humans was asking about it as well. As for the job itself, scouting she could do. She grew up in woods, and was quite skilled in navigating wilderness. She just took one of the contracts and read over it. From what she could tell, it was pretty much what the private said. Payment made for services rendered. If you get horribly mauled, it's not our fault. And so on.

"Well, it seems we will be traveling together," Amna said, as she got the writing kit out of her backpack. Opening it up, she got the quill pen and inkwell from it. "It isn't good to travel with strangers though. Elves consider it bad luck. I'm Amna Thislan, scholar and alchemist of the elf settlement Sylvan. Who are you?"

Sol
2013-04-16, 02:18 PM

Jacob watches the Private and the Clockwork leave the bar, wondering what news the golem had that needed to be kept private, and almost missed the woman's prompt for introductions. Amna, was it?

Looking at her, he notes that she's looking back expectantly.

Friggins, ma'am, Jacob Friggins. Marksman from Misthaven. Guns are alright for power, but they're noisy, inaccurate contraptions. And besides, these aren't arrows in my quiver. Not really. Not anymore. Here.

He pulls out an arrow-shaped object from his quiver and holds it over the table so all can see it. This close, you can see that it's a clockwork device of some sort with two arrowheads instead of one.

I call these Borers, Boris for short. The tail feathers catch the wind, generating torque which is passed through the shaft to rotate the head casing rapidly. There's not much he can't cut through, ol' Boris.

There's others, o'course. You'll meet them if we run into trouble.

He puts Boris away and looks around the table, wondering who will speak up next.

Zakalwe
2013-04-17, 01:37 AM
Huh, oh of course! still i think it was worth you making the journey" Says Castro to the serving woman, smiling.

His gaze follows her as she departs to do other jobs, before he settles once again on the matter in hand.

Hmm, Ah yes, introductions. I am Castro, Castro Giavanni
Castro gives a small bow and tilts his head slightly.

Well met, Amna is it! Alchemist eh? You don't smell half as bad as the one i used to know; and you still have your eyebrows. Good! means your not as clumsy as my previous alchemical acquaintance.

Castro has a quick nostalgic chuckle. Before turning to the red haired man.

Jacob eh! Good, nice arrows you have there. Somehow i get the impression this won't be your first scouting mission. Have you travelled south much before?

Castro reaches for his drink. So how about the rest of this motley band. Don't suppose there are any rich fellows here with enough horses for us to trott down south on? He says looking around at the other mercenaries.

Madfellow
2013-04-17, 09:44 AM
Just then a noise fills the bar.

BANG BANG BANG

Something is crashing loudly against the door. A moment later, another

CRASH!

The bar's window shatters into a thousand pieces as Private Mason flies through it, landing on one of the tables. His body falls limp, and his face is covered in blood. Outside, the golem stands facing the window, its hands stained red. After a moment it turns around and starts running.

Inside the bar, everyone is stunned. A woman screams.

Grumbles
2013-04-17, 10:46 AM
Durham waited patiently as the others introduced themselves, taking mental note of names and occupations. After Castro finished speaking, silence settled on the table long enough for even Durham to pick up on the awkwardness. That was generally his queue to speak.

Just as he was about to introduce himself Mason abruptly re-entered the tavern.

"Durham Roathe." he grunted to the others before jumping up from the table and throwing himself towards the freshly broken window.

Not completely sure how you want these things done, so if this isn't the format you like, let me know. I know sometimes its easier for the sake of time in a pbp game to take a "set" of actions all at once in a kind-of flowchart "If yes, then..." format.

I'd like to attempt to jump back through the window, I could see that being Acro or Ath check depending on the GM. Here's both.
Ath: [roll0]
Acro: [roll1]

IF I make it through the window, would I believe its possible to run down the golem, or is it too far away? If possible to run it down, I'd like to take off after it (ATH roll below). If it's not possible to run it down, I'd like to take a look right outside the window to see if there's any other clue as to what happened (Perception roll below).
Ath: [roll2]
Perception: [roll3]

NorseItalian
2013-04-17, 10:57 AM
Fortunato stayed uncharacteristically silent as he mulled over the proposition. Muscle wasn't really his strongest suit, and fighting orcs didn't really seem all that exciting when it came right down to it. Then again, he could really use the extra spending money, as he'd already gone though most of the gold from his last expedition. Perhaps he could tag along and leave most of the heavy lifting up to the others? Have a nice journey, watch the suckers fight some orcs, come home and collect 70 gold angels? Sounded like a good deal to him.

His train of thought was cut off as the private came flying in through the window. As everyone stood up, blocking his view, Fortunato climbed up on to the table to get a better look, just in time to see the golem tearing off into the night. He looked down at the limb body of the fallen private. "Mamma mia!" he exclaimed, "How are we a-gonna get a-paid now?"

Madfellow
2013-04-17, 11:22 AM
Durham leaps out the broken window into the street and chases after the golem. As he runs he sees it turn a corner to a narrow, winding street.

Skill Challenge time! This is a simple challenge (4 successes before 2 failures) that any character can participate in. The primary skills are athletics, acrobatics, endurance, and perception, and the DC is 15. Success means you keep up with the golem, failure means you lose it in the crowd. Any character that doesn't participate in the challenge will still be able to at least keep up with the other characters if they choose to do so. It's in your better interest to participate, though, because pass or fail you'll get XP.

Sol
2013-04-17, 01:40 PM

Grabbing his bow with one hand and pulling out an arrow which appears to carry a spring-loaded net, Jacob leaps out the window after Durham and tries to pursue the Golem.

If I can get a clear shot he's ours! he shouts while catching up to the half-orc.

Acrobatics:[roll0]

Madfellow
2013-04-17, 02:24 PM
As Jacob races along avoiding various obstacles in his path, he is able to line up a shot, though it's not a very clean one. What few pedestrians there are about this evening notice his bow and step back warily.

If Jacob can make a ranged basic attack at a DC of 21, that will count as a success toward his total.

Fortis
2013-04-17, 04:08 PM
"Someone get him a healing potion!" Amna shouted, running up to the fallen Private. She hastily put a finger on his neck to check for a pulse, hoping the man was still alive. She wasn't a healer specifically, but she did know a trick or two she picked up over time. But the golem weighed in her thoughts. If it could take down a military man like Mason, it would be dangerous to anyone it met. Why was it doing this though?

Amna decided such questions could wait until the danger was contained. She was no athlete, and would probably fall behind if she tried to pursue the golem, but there were other ways she could help. She left the private and went up the stairs of the tavern to reach the upper levels. Coming to a window, she gazed out from her high vantage point, trying to spot the golem and shout out its position to anyone else looking for it.

Perception check to assist whoever is making perception check.
[roll0]

Zakalwe
2013-04-17, 05:11 PM
Startled by the sudden crash, Castro turns round to see the body of private mason drooping over a table. His gaze back tracks the poor man's last movements and he catches sight of the Half Orc leaping through the window.

"Hang on! i'm not as fit as i used to be"
Calls Castro as he starts his own pursuit. Just about dodging a gaping spectator as he follows the Half orc and Jacob.
Athletics [roll0]
Athletics [roll1]
Athletics [roll2]
Athletics [roll3]

Zakalwe
2013-04-17, 05:22 PM
Unsure how much i have caught up. Can make 3 rolls for different skills.
Athletics to see if i can pursue still: [roll0]
Endurance to see if i'm out of stamina. [roll1]
If i am winded can i use a Streetwise check to see if i can head the golem off or gauge is heading?:
Streetwise[roll2]

Wow he hadn't done such a turn of speed for a long time, still it was a good feeling, he felt alive. Approaching a corner fast, he tried to swing around it using a nearby lamp, unfortunately his hand only caught air and loosing his footing crashed into the wall.

Picking himself up, Castro regained his bearing and tried to see if he could determine the quarry's destination.

Madfellow
2013-04-17, 05:58 PM
Looking ahead, Castro sees the golem round another corner, followed closely by Durham and Jacob. It'll take a while to recover from this setback.

[OOC: Castro barely failed this challenge (2 failures and 3 successes), so he has fallen behind. However, the others may yet succeed.]

Sol
2013-04-17, 06:12 PM

Ducking and dodging over, under, and around pedestrians, street carts, and a particularly large mastiff, Jacob finally manages to line up a decent shot.

Watch out! he shouts at the pedestrians potentially in the way, before drawing his bow, loosing his arrow, and continuing his chase.

Another Acrobatics check: [roll0]
Perception Check to line up my shot: [roll1] assuming a +2 bonus from Amna's aid another perception check.
Disruptive Shot: [roll2]

On a hit: [roll3] damage and the golem is Immobilized (save ends).
On a miss: Half damage and the golem is Slowed until the end of my next turn.
If all of the above were successes, I'm done, but I'll go ahead and roll another two acrobatics checks to continue pursuit:
[roll4][roll5]

Madfellow
2013-04-17, 06:41 PM
Jacob's shot whizzes just over the golem's head and embeds itself in a wall. The golem turns another corner and jacob loses sight of it.

[OOC: Jacob is out, but Durham and Fortunato are still in.]

Grumbles
2013-04-18, 10:03 AM
Durham takes note of his new compatriots joining the chase, and nods his approval to them. Suddenly the golem makes a sharp turn into a narrow but highly populated alley. Durham deftly slips through the denizens of the street and keeps pace with the machine.

Just then, an arrow-like contraption whizzes past Durham towards the golem. Barely missing the golem, the arrow embeds itself in the wall. Durham makes another nimble side-step to avoid the people standing dumbfounded by the sudden excitement surrounding them.

Seeing a chance to gain some ground on the golem by leaping some crates that the golem had taken the time to go around, Durham decided it was worth the risk. He immediately regretted the decision as his toe caught the edge of the highest crate, sending him toppling down the other side.

Cursing his decision, Durham gathered himself and looked around intently. He couldn't believe his luck, the golem had apparently lost track of Durham when he fell over the crates and was now en route to pass directly in front of Durham.

As the golem approached, Durham lunged toward it...

Taking my ATH check from above as a success as per the OOC thread. Also assuming that each skill has a set number of times it can be used per player (I'd guess 2?). I'm going to roll 6 checks, assume they were rolled in the order presented, and ignore any rolls that happen after I succeed/fail the challenge.

ATH: SUCCESS (see above)
Acro: [roll0]
Acro: [roll1]
ATH: [roll2]
Percep: [roll3]
Percep: [roll4]

edit: success after roll 5.

Madfellow
2013-04-18, 01:00 PM
Durham is now hot on the golem's heels, nearly matching it step for step. After a moment they come to a fork in the street, one road leading south and the other east. The golem takes the south road, heading for the central riverside docks, the heart of the city.

[OOC: Durham has succeeded at the challenge and now knows where the golem is headed. Everyone who participated in the challenge earned 50XP.]

Zakalwe
2013-04-19, 03:43 PM
Castro see's Darham disappearing off into the distance, hot on the Golem's heels. With Jacob following.

Castro accosts a nearby urchin who had come been watching the chase with interest.
" Hey kid, here is a copper coin, i want you to go find a Teifling, name of Amna, should be at the wayward sailor, tell her the trail seems to lead to the central docks.

Castro gives the kid a coin, and brings out a couple of silver too.
"see these, these could be yours, I want you to get me as much information about the incident as possible and what happened, the better the information, the better the coin got it?

[OOC: If none of the spoiler is possible castro will do it himself.]

Streetwise test if needed: [roll0]
Diplomacy if needed: [roll1]

After a brief pause Castro sets off at steady jog in the direction of the central docks.

Madfellow
2013-04-19, 04:04 PM
Castro quickly catches up to Durham. Jacob, not far behind, sees a small child run back his way clutching a copper penny. A minute later, back at the Wayward Sailor, Amna hears voices downstairs.

"'Scuse me," a high-pitched voice says nervously, "I'm looking for a tiefling named Amna."

"Upstairs, I think," the barkeep answers.

The child advances up the stairs cautiously. "S-Scuse me," she calls when she reaches the top, "Is your name Amna? The man outside says there's a trail to the center docks."

Sol
2013-04-19, 10:05 PM

Damn. Jacob mutters when his arrow thinks into a wall near the golem. Thought I had him.

He slings his bow back over his shoulder and continues his pursuit following Durham's lead.

Fortis
2013-04-19, 10:42 PM
Amna watched as best she could, but soon the chase was out of sight. She grabbed her belongings, and was about to head on down, when the little girl came on up and told her about the trail to the docks. Probably sent by one of her companions. "Thank you child. This was important to me. Here, for telling me right away." Amna said, fishing a silver out of her bag and giving it to the girl. "If you see a gnome bard named Fortunato, tell him Amna is heading to the docks, and he should too, okay?" Grabbing her belongings, Amna left the tavern, and hurried as quickly as she could to the central docks.

Diplomacy check
[roll0]

Madfellow
2013-04-20, 09:31 AM
The group meets back up on the street and heads for the central riverside docks. As they continue the streets slowly start to empty, the city's citizens settling into their homes for the evening. It doesn't take long for them to reach the docks. Dozens of small sailing vessels sit nestled in the narrow harbor, waiting to be put back on open water in the morning. This part of town still maintains the gentle din of busywork late into the night.

Zakalwe
2013-04-20, 03:15 PM
Castro nods a greeting to the rest of the party, then starts fanning himself with his hat. beads of sweat are visible on his forehead.

"hey Durham, did you manage to tail that contraption to its destination?. Sorry i wasn't able to follow too, so does anyone have any idea whata ctually happened? Did anyone get to speak to the witnesses if there were any?

Sol
2013-04-21, 01:40 PM

Looking around the docks, Jacob looks for places the golem could have hidden.

I can't say for certain what happened, but it sure looks like that clockwork was more broken than the Private thought. If we find him, he can tell us his side of the story, if it differs from appearances. He must be here somewhere, he can't have gone far. One of the boats, perhaps?

Perception to see if I spot any clues as to his whereabouts: [roll0]
Sorry for no post yesterday, I'm watching my sister's dog for the weekend and my puppy is really angry about it.

Madfellow
2013-04-21, 02:47 PM
A short distance off, Jacob spots a small group of clockwork golems standing in an alley, looking in the general direction of the group. Upon being noticed, they back away.

Zakalwe
2013-04-22, 08:24 AM
Hmm, wonder what that is all about! Castro murmurs to the others as Jacob subtly points out that the group are being watched.

Think its worth a peek Says Castro as he starts to amble calmly towards where the Golems were.

Sol
2013-04-22, 04:39 PM

Fully expecting an ambush, Jacob silently aims the party's attention at the golems in the alley.

Pulling another arrow-like contraption from his quiver, he strings it and advances slowly, turning to whisper back at his companions.

Quiet but fast, folks. We don't want them getting away again. May be we have our information wrong as to what happened, so I won't shoot first, but all the same, we should proceed with caution.

Ducking behind a lightpost, he vanishes from view.

Stealth check to proceed stealthily!: [roll0]

Sol
2013-04-29, 03:36 PM

Seeing the entire party staring at him, clearly visible behind the lightpost, Jacob sighs and finds a more suitable hiding place behind a stack of shipping crates.

That always works in the stories, though I suppose I'm no elf.

If you want a new stealth check, [roll0], or you can use the one from before. Jacob's plan is to advance parallel with the party as best he can, while being as stealthy as possible.

Fortis
2013-04-29, 07:03 PM
Amna

Hustling as quickly as she could, Amna arrived at the site where the rest of the group was. Athletics and running wasn't her forte, and by the time she arrived she was breathing a little hard. "Gods... was I so preoccupied about the clockwork man that I left a bleeding man behind?" She muttered to herself. Shaking her head, she figured that someone at the bar would help the private. Healing wasn't her forte either. But maybe she could help a little bit with the clockwork golem issue, though she wasn't sure how. She was knowledgeable, but on the subject of clockworks, her knowledge was rather untested. "Guys, let me know how I can help," Amna said, as she started going forward with Castro.

Zakalwe
2013-04-30, 03:32 AM
Ah good to see you lass, Castro says to Amna, as she catches up.
Sooo, Lets go see if they are feeling co-operative, know much about them, Golems i mean?

Castro continues to advance, with a confident stride but wary senses.

Keep a sharp eye about you lass, good place to get jumped this is Castro murmurs to Amna with a smile and wink.

Madfellow
2013-04-30, 08:52 AM
The group follows the golems down a dark and narrow street. A short way down it they see a large fountain, behind which stand four golems in a line. They are looking directly at the group of newcomers, and their fists are raised as if they're ready for a fight. Behind them stands the golem from the tavern, easily singled out for its coat and hat. It does not prepare to fight when it sees the group; instead it turns around and continues its flight.

If anyone wishes to engage the golems, here's the map:
http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zps77c8a8ca.png
Dark orange is blocking terrain.
Light orange is cover terrain. A character can climb onto it with a DC 15 acrobatics check.
Blue is the "spawn" zone.

The PCs are currently in dim light, and the golems do not appear to have spotted Jacob.

Zakalwe
2013-04-30, 05:17 PM
Hmm, looks like we may have ourselves a little scuffle, i'll guard your flank lass whilst you get into position.

Castro will start next to Amna, in a position to intercept any Golem, advancing her way.
Will mark the golem most likely to target her when the fight starts, if the opportunity becomes available

Sol
2013-04-30, 06:39 PM

From the shadows, Jacob surveys the scene before the makeshift party and frowns. He signals the others to keep moving, but isn't sure whether they should try talking to the golems, or if they will need to be taken out.

Ready for any situation, Jacob looks up, seeing if he might find a better perch on the rooftops. If so, he's got a plan.

Switch to Lurking Spider Stance
Perception check to see if I can find a suitable elevated perch - a rooftop or balcony would be ideal. [roll0]

If I find one, athletics check to climb to said perch. [roll1]
Stealth check to remain hidden in my perch. [roll2]
(Incidentally, if these are successful, any ally following my climbing route or also attempting a stealth check gain a +2 bonus to doing so.)

Assuming all of the above takes more than one round and that we're not yet working on initiative, switch back to Pouncing Lynx stance, and ready an action to use Clever Shot on the first Golem to advance on the party in a manner that looks like he's aiming to attack.

That attack would be [roll3], [roll4] damage, and the target is knocked prone. In the event the target has no other creatures adjacent to it when I attack it, add +2 to the attack roll and +1 to the damage roll.

Madfellow
2013-04-30, 07:39 PM
Jacob spots a low rooftop that he is able to climb onto. However, he now finds himself in an exposed position with nothing to hide behind. Even the darkness does not seem to conceal him, as a couple of the golems clearly notice his sudden appearance.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zpseecb4c63.png

Madfellow
2013-05-01, 02:01 PM
The golems advance, circling around the fountain to hit the group from both sides. One of them closes in on Castro and swings an iron fist, but harmlessly connects with his shield.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zps1b300be8.png
The golem attacked Castro and missed. Jacob has not yet had time to ready an action to attack, but he may attack now.

Concerning Grumbles and NorseItalian, I'm going to PM them one last time and see if I can get some activity out of them. If not, I may have bump the recruitment thread and bring in a new player.

Zakalwe
2013-05-01, 05:31 PM
Castro side steps the golem's wild swing bringing him into contact with both of the nearby creatures.

Castro will shift into H3 then combat challenge the Golem at I3 and attack it with a "tide of iron", IF successful he will push the Golem into J4 if possible, Castro himself will remain at H3.

Atk: [roll]1d20+7{/roll]
Dmg: [roll0]

Zakalwe
2013-05-01, 05:32 PM
retrying to hit roll after misstype.
Atk: [roll0]

Madfellow
2013-05-01, 06:14 PM
Castro strikes the golem in the chest and it staggers back, bumping against a wall.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zps8537eb25.png
Creatures can't move diagonally if there's an obstruction, so the golem just slid south.

Fortis
2013-05-01, 06:53 PM
“The damaged golem! He’s getting away!” Amna shouted, as she saw their quarry making a break for it. “Never mind these ones, I can slow them down.” Amna hastily dug into her alchemy bag, and grabbed a vial of one of her chemical ingredients. Her usual poisons and toxins wouldn’t help against a mechanical creature, but they had other vulnerabilities. A splash of a sticky resin to gum up their gears should slow them down. She just flung the vial at the two golems confronting Castro.

Resin (Stone Blood refluffed) attack, burst one centered on square H5.
Vs Golem in H4 [roll0] vs Fort
Vs Golem in I4 [roll1] vs Fort
On hit, [roll2] and the targets are slowed until the end of Amna's next turn.

Sol
2013-05-02, 12:21 AM

From his vantage point on the rooftop Jacob watches the golems advance and attack his erstwhile companions, and spots the fleeing golem in the distance. True, they needed to get past these first, but still, best not to let his real target get too far.

Pulling out another net-arrow, Jacob lines it up and fires.

Blackarrow always said the second time's the charm. Hope he's right! Can't ignore these, though.

Swiftly pulling two more arrows out of his quiver, he fires them at the pair Amna just gooed.

Disruptive Shot against the fleeing unmapped golem, at 31 vs AC, 15 damage and immobilized (save ends) per my previous rolls. If that somehow misses, you're cheating, but he's still slowed until the end of my next turn and takes 7 damage.
Action Point and Rapid Shot vs the two near Castro.
vs H4 [roll0] vs AC, [roll1] damage and the target is knocked prone.
vs I4 [roll2] vs AC, [roll3] damage and the target is knocked prone.

Madfellow
2013-05-02, 08:25 AM
After being stabbed, hit with goo, and impaled by an arrow, one of the golems collapses onto the ground. Its companion is still standing, but is looking in bad shape. It is dented in a couple places and has started to leak oil. It swings and hits Castro in the chest.

The other two golems advance and attack from the rear. One goes for Jacob, the other for Amna. The one attacking Jacob leaps up and grabs the edge of the rooftop as it swipes at his legs, but falls just short. The one attacking Amna strikes her hard in the back.

The fifth golem is struck by Jacob's arrow and collapses.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zps5f3b23e8.png
Castro takes 7 damage and Amna takes 11. The 5th golem continues fleeing.

Also, I will be traveling a lot today and tomorrow because I need to go pick up my brother from college, so I might not be able to post. Have fun while I'm gone! :smallwink:

Zakalwe
2013-05-02, 05:48 PM
Upon seeing the golem attacking Amna, Castro moves to intercept the construct, taking a heavy blow on his buckler from the golem next to him, bruising his arm heavily.

Castro will shift into H3 and attack the Golem at F3 with a tide of iron, marking it, and pushing it into E3 if successful.

Atk: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Castro will attempt to combat challenge the golem if it strikes Amna and use shield push to force them out of combat if successful

Possible Shield push: [roll2] Dmg: [roll3]

Castro will also opportunity attack any golem that moves past him, to attack amna prioritising the one not marked by his combat challenge.

Opp atk:[roll4] dmg: [roll5]

Sol
2013-05-02, 10:12 PM

Hah! Take that, clockworks! Jacob cries, as he sees his arrows pierce into three of them, and a fourth fail to reach his perch.

Still, I wonder who sent them. Hey! Who sent you! There's no way this falls under your self defense protocol, so someone's up to no good!

Jacob aims down at the one who failed to reach him and fires a flatheaded arrow.

Swap to Lurking Spider Stance
Clever Shot vs C2 at [roll0] vs AC, [roll1] damage and the target is knocked prone.

Fortis
2013-05-02, 11:00 PM
Yelling out as she was struck, Amna hastily backpedaled a step away from the golem. Digging into her alchemy satchel again, she flung another vial at the golem who struck her. This one relied more on the magical properties of the plant extracts than the chemical ones, designed to muddle the mind and incite an intense anger. She had no idea if it would work on a golem, who's mind was gears and levers. "Get away from me!" She shouted as she threw the vial.

Rage potion (Charm of misplaced wrath refluff) on the golem at E3 (assuming the tide of iron is successful.)

[roll0] vs Will

On hit, slide target 3 squares, and target is dazed. The target may make a free attack against a creature of my choice, doing +2 to damage. In this case, the golem will slide to B3, and attack the golem at C2

Madfellow
2013-05-04, 09:44 AM
The golem attacking Jacob is knocked onto the ground, and promptly finds itself assaulted by one of its allies. The attacking golem then shakes its head and seems to recollect itself. It runs back to Castro and strikes him hard on the shoulder. The other one gets back onto its feet, despite its multiple dents and leaking oil. The third one moves to hit Castro from behind.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zpsd27e1b7b.png
Castro takes 17 damage. From now on I'll use an asterisk to indicate a marked target.

Here is golem 5's roll to recover (last turn): [roll0]
And a second roll if the first is unsuccessful (this turn): [roll1]

Sol
2013-05-06, 12:39 AM

Jacob sees the fleeing golem finally struggle out of his net, and curses. Damnit, Blackarrow, I always told you silkworm silk makes for worse nets than spidersilk, pricing be damned.

Reaching into his quiver for another, he curses again upon the realization that he's out of net-arrows. Sighing, he pulls out what appears to be two arrows attached by a short cord.

With any luck, this'll do the trick. He fires, hoping to entangle the golems legs.

Peering down at his new pals, he sees Castro and Amna both hurting a bit. You okay down there, friends? I can't hold him back forever!

Clever Shot vs the fleeing golem
[roll0] vs AC, [roll1] damage and the target is slowed (Save Ends).

Madfellow
2013-05-06, 10:05 AM
Jacob's arrow just barely misses its target and the golem visibly recoils in surprise.

Sol
2013-05-06, 11:56 AM
Jacob's arrow just barely misses its target and the golem visibly recoils in surprise.

[OOC: Just to clarify what happened, on its turn the golem used a move action to get up and converted a standard action to move another 30 feet south. That put it 60 feet south of the edge of the map, just outside of Jacob's short range, giving him a -2 penalty on his attack. If not for that, the attack would have hit.]
He had been immobilized, not prone, right? His save was successful, but that would normally be at the end of his turn? He could have readied a move action for a successful save, though, so that's fine :)

Zakalwe
2013-05-06, 03:44 PM
Right O lass, got any more of those vials? I'm a bit bloody, if you can finish one off i should be able to get the other, will wait for your mark

Castro would rather wait for Amna to attack before deciding his move.
If both adjacent foes still stand, he will use his daily on the attack and an action point to second wind.

If only one golem stands adjacent he will use his encounter power on it.

If Daily is used: Atk: [roll0] vs AC, dmg [roll1]

Encounter: Atk: [roll2] vs AC, dmg [roll3]
Castro will shift away if enemy is not killed.

Will use an action point to second wind if it looks necessary

Fortis
2013-05-06, 09:57 PM
"I've got a few that might work," Amna said, backing up a pace from the fight and worriedly rooting through her alchemy satchel. She got another one of resin, and flung it nearby where one of the golems was fighting Castro.

Amna shifts up a square to G1.

Another Resin vial, centered at E3, so it hits the Golem at F3.
[roll0] vs Fort. On hit, it does [roll1] Damage, and the target is slowed.
Edit: It should be 1d6+4 damage, so a total of five.

WarrEll
2013-05-06, 10:31 PM
Stalker

As the sun set over the horizon, a lithe robed figure could be seen prowling through the streets of Philosport. He moved like quicksilver, his feet barely skimming the surface of the street as he then leaped up and bound over alley-walls and roof tops.

Stalker let out a heavy sigh as he thought to himself just what he was doing here. This urban jungle of stone and masonry was no supplement for the deep forests that he once prowled through among his kin. He was quick to remind himself he had little choice - the orcs now claimed most of the southern territories that were once his home. There was only so much he alone could do against them, even with his familiar spirits by his side. He was fortunate enough that the humans who had found him after he had been ambushed, battered and badly injured, had taken it upon themselves to bring him with them to the port city.

Still, against his better judgement, he could feel in his very bones the call to action. He must reclaim the grounds of his people by whatever means necessary. But only spirit knows how he would manage such a heavy burden on his own...

It was then that the shifter heard coming down the alley way he sat in a calamitous clatter towards the east. With his spear in hand he cautiously approached the center of the disturbance and the battle that was already underway.

As he stood there among the shadows, watching as several people engaged in battle with a collection of stone-skinned creatures, he couldn't help but mutter to himself, "Just what th' hoary hells be all this then?"

Madfellow
2013-05-07, 08:45 AM
Amna's resin potion sticks to the golem, blocking up a few gears and hindering it significantly. Castro follows up with a powerful attack, but unfortunately he swings just a little too wide and his swing misses its mark. He steels himself against the next attack.

Jacob notices the sudden arrival of some kind of beast man in a cloak on his rooftop. One of the golems seems to notice as well and moves to address this new threat, seeming to forget its proximity to the angry man with the rapier.

The golem nearest to Jacob continues its assault, swiping at his legs. The third golem climbs up onto the fountain to gain an advantageous position. The fleeing golem gets up off the ground and continues running.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zps4c6308d2.png
Jacob takes 8 damage. Castro spends a healing surge and gets an attack of opportunity on his mark.

Falconknight06
2013-05-07, 12:29 PM
Oh, I do love the city towards nightfall Kestrel says to himself as he walks through Philosport, his sword and shield slung over his back, his pack sitting in the inn he had settled down in for a while. He'd been in Philosport for about three days, playing his lute in the tavern in exchange for room and board. It had become his MO of late, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

His wanders seem to have brought him to a rather noisy part of town, with a group of what seemed to be adventurer's fighting a large group of golems. What in the world is happening here. I didn't think fighting in the streets was a common occurrence Kestrel says as he draws his sword and shield in preparation for any aggression on the part of either party.

I hope this is an ok introduction for my character. And if I get an action, I'll toss a majestic word at the bloodied fighter, giving him/her a healing surge +4

Zakalwe
2013-05-07, 02:55 PM
Feeling energised by the arrival of potential assistance Castro, strikes the nearby Construct as it tries to move away.
Opportunity ATK: [roll0] vs AC Dmg: [roll1]

If we hit we shall re mark the target at push it into F4

WarrEll
2013-05-07, 04:54 PM
Stalker

From the building rooftop the shifter spirit caller could see the battle that had commenced between these two human men and the female tiefling against the golems that now stomped about looking to cave in their skulls with stone fists. In fact, it seemed that they too also considered him something of a threat - one had caught sight of him above and was slowly making its way towards him, but leaving itself exposed to attack by the man he'd left wounded on the ground.

In truth, Stalker had little to no intention of sticking his neck in where it didn't belong, but to keep it from out of the blood-soaked palms of these animated constructs, his hand was forced. With a deep breath, the shifter clutched his personal totem in hand and began to mutter to himself in what sounded like bestial grunts.

A cool breeze rushed through the clearing square as the phantom image of a great big cat flickered into being prowling towards the advancing golem. It reared itself back and ready itself to strike with spectral claws.

"The spirits - they be hungry..."

Minor: Call Spirit Companion at E3
Standard: Watcher's Strike on golem. Attack [roll0] vs. Reflex; Damage: [roll1]
If it hits, until the end of Stalker's next turn, all allies gain a +1 attack bonus and +5 Perception check bonus while adjacent to spirit companion.

Sol
2013-05-08, 12:11 AM

That hurt, you bolt-brain! Jacob cries at the clockwork assaulting him.

Looks like he's getting away again - let's finish these off and go get him!

Jacob pulls another arrow-like contraption out of his quiver, this one with what appears to be lightning arcing between dual arrowheads, and fires it at the golem below him. Away with you!

Jacob is at 14/22hp.
Clever Shot vs C2, [roll0] vs AC, [roll1] damage and the target is slid 2 squares to E2, adjacent to the spirit companion.
Shift to B1.

Madfellow
2013-05-08, 09:30 AM
After a furious counter-strike from the party two golems fall to the ground, covered in dents and oil. The last golem looks around, first at its fallen squad, then at the group surrounding it. It stands up straight and holds perfectly still.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/t591/Madfellow/Grid_zpsd414b414.png
Changed the color scheme to something more neutral.

WarrEll
2013-05-09, 03:14 PM
Stalker

Having felled the golem that now laid as a broken pile of rubble before it, the phantom panther roared in triumph. Its summoner handled his totem and with a motion of his hand, the beast faded away, back into the ether from whence it came.

The battle having now abruptly ended, Stalker leaped down from the roof of the building onto the street. He slowly approached the injured solider and the tiefling - they and the archer seemed to had been the focus of this attack. The shifter also took note of what he thought to be a bystander, another human it seemed though his appearance suggested maybe a partial other lineage.

Turning his attention to the warrior and the tiefling he said, "You lot be startin' some commotion... just what had happened here?"

Falconknight06
2013-05-09, 04:59 PM
Kestrel runs forward to the injured and sends a majestic word at the most injured member currently. He then offers a hand to help anyone to their feet saying so, why were you all fighting a bunch of golems? I really hope you were the good guys in this scenario, or else I might have to fight you all too, which makes healing you a...bad...idea... Kestrel trails off, then quickly brings his sword and shield up in a defensive posture, in case the group decides to attack him next.

So what is going on? he asks again

Sol
2013-05-09, 07:18 PM

No time to talk! Something is direly wrong with these clockworks - or with their programmer. The one running south attacked a guardsman, and these four ambushed us while we were chasing him!

If the fleeing golem 5 is still within his long range of 40 squares/200 feet and line of sight, Jacob will fire another Clever Shot at him to try and slow him, and will then leap off the rooftop and run south towards him. [roll0] vs AC (not including the -2 range penalty), [roll1] damage and the target is slowed (Save Ends).

If he is out of range/LoS, Jacob will jump down and double-run south.

Zakalwe
2013-05-11, 12:49 PM
Panting a little and obviously a bit winded Ah, thanks for the assistance friend. Nearly had me that contraption.

Castro cautiously approaches the motionless golem, and prods it with his rapier.

He then walks over to the fountain, removes his hat and plunges his head in the cool water for a moment. Before shaking off the excess water.
I presume its a normal water fountain and he can have a drink

Right back to the chase i suppose, care to join us? He says to the new arrivals.

How about you lass? good to continue the pursuit, i think our archer friend may want some support.

Castro then starts off in the direction Jacob ran in, at a steady jog.
Jacob will not go out of sight of the fountain until amna and the new arrivals have responded.

Falconknight06
2013-05-11, 03:39 PM
Now attacking a guardsman, we can't have that. Let's go! Kestrel says as he follows along with the group after the fleeing golem.

WarrEll
2013-05-11, 03:55 PM
As the majority of the group ran off in the direction of the fleeing golem, Stalker remained. Whatever was happening was clearly no business of his, and yet there was something compelling him to follow after. Whether it be what most would call a "gut feeling" or his connection with the spirits, he soon found himself running off after the others.

Madfellow
2013-05-11, 07:38 PM
The group chases the golem to a three-way fork in the road. The golem takes the south road, heading for upper riverside docks. The construct had quite a head start, though, and the group eventually loses sight of it in the dark, winding streets. Fortunately, the roads are rather muddy in this part of town, and a savvy tracker may be able to spot a golem's footprints.

Please make a perception or streetwise roll, DC 15.

Sol
2013-05-11, 08:09 PM

Stopping to catch his breath, Jacob takes a moment to survey the ground, unsure of which direction the Golem may have taken.

Perception roll, as requested!
[roll0]

Falconknight06
2013-05-11, 11:42 PM
Exhilarating, isn't it? Kestrel says with a grin on his face as he begins scanning the streets for the Golem's trail.

Streetwise time
[roll0]

Madfellow
2013-05-12, 08:45 AM
The golem's footprints are larger and deeper than those of a person, making them fairly easy to pick out. Based on the state of these tracks, the group is only a few minutes behind it. If they hurry they might be able to catch up.

Those who succeeded, please make an athletics or endurance roll, DC 16. Those who haven't yet made the previous roll can still do so.

WarrEll
2013-05-12, 12:16 PM
With the large tracks to follow, it isn't difficult to tell just what direction its going. However keeping up with the rest of the group was another matter. Stalker attempted to keep up his breathing so that he could remain in pace with the others in the chase.

Endurance: [roll0]

(OOC: Yeah, that went about as well as I could have hoped.)

Zakalwe
2013-05-12, 02:34 PM
As Castro caught up with Jacob, he found him studying the ground carefully. It seemed the clever man had successfully tracked his quarry.

Castro hoped that this time he would not be left behind.
Ath: [roll0]

Falconknight06
2013-05-12, 08:13 PM
Kestrel tried to focus on the tracks and continue chasing the untiring machine

Endurance because my secondary stat is constitution, so yeah.
[roll0]

Sol
2013-05-12, 08:53 PM

Watching the others struggle to keep up with him, Jacob suddenly notices an overwhelming cramp in his side and stops dead in his stride.

Athletics: [roll0]

Fortis
2013-05-13, 12:06 AM
((Sorry about the delay))

Amna briefly stood still a moment, massaging the area where the golem had struck. She winced as she felt the bruise protesting the pressure. When she got the chance later, she had a few salves that would help with that, but for now the chase was on again it seemed. At least there were a couple others giving their aid to them. Still, she needed to hurry. In the distraction the injury had caused, she had fallen behind. She hurriedly looked around for the fleeing golem and the others, before running to catch up.

[roll0] for perception.
[roll1] for endurance.

Madfellow
2013-05-13, 08:44 AM
The party reaches the end of the trail and... there's no golem in sight. They are now in the southwestern corner of town, the affluent markets of the upper riverside docks. From here there are three main streets that lead to other regions of the city: one leads back the way they came, one leads east to the upper residential district, and one leads north along the riverside to the central square.

Nobody succeeded on both checks, so the party has lost the golem's trail for now.

@ Fortis: No problem; I figured you were busy. Most of us were this weekend. Anyway, glad to see you back.

Falconknight06
2013-05-13, 03:34 PM
Even though they'd lost the golem, Kestrel was more focused on his lungs feeling like they were on fire. He leaned over, his hands on his knees, wheezing out a well *wheeze* it seems *breathes deeply* he got away *swoons a bit from lack of oxygen*

As Kestrel catches his breath, he looks at the group and tries to size up any current injuries that he might be able to help with, though part of him is also trying to judge trustworthiness of the group.

Madfellow
2013-05-13, 04:03 PM
The swordsman, archer, and alchemist each have a couple scrapes and bruises from that last fight. The swordsman seems to have taken the worst of it. The beastman wasn't even touched.

I can't speak for their trustworthiness, though. :smallwink:

Sol
2013-05-14, 01:03 PM

Seeing the whole group bending over with cramps, and no sign of the Golem, Jacob sighs.

Well, it looks like he got away for now. Anyone got any idea what to do next? When a City Guard Golem attacks a City Guardsman, it makes me unsure of who to trust.

He turns to the newcomers.

Thanks for the assist back there. I'm Jacob. Jacob Friggins. Who are you two, anyway? Was that a panther?

Jacob sits and takes a moment to address the wound at his ankle.

Assuming we are taking a short rest here, I'll spend a surge bringing myself to 19/22 HP and 5 surges remaining.

WarrEll
2013-05-14, 01:42 PM
Having lost the trail of the fleeing golem, the group stopped to catch their breath from the chase and treat themselves from the fight they had gone through. Among them, the archer that had lead the chase turned to address the shifter, who had actually said very little to anyone when he had stumbled upon this party.

"It be a spirit - an avatar of th' great hunters of th' southern jungles. Me just help ta' bring dem forth and make der voices, der presence known... Ya best be knowin' me as Stalker."

Zakalwe
2013-05-14, 05:16 PM
Ah yes, i guess more formal introductions are in order, now the chase has abated.
I am Castro, Castro Giovanni, a pleasure to make your acquaintance, thank you both once more for your timely intervention.

Castro nods respectfully to each newcomer in turn. Before unstopping a hip flask and taking a swig.

Would anyone like some? Just some rum, coarse but helps keep the aching down a bit

Castro offers the flask around, before dabbing a bit on his fingers and rubbing his heart.

Castro will spend a healing surge, total 23/25 HP 6/9 surges remaining

Falconknight06
2013-05-14, 09:16 PM
The name's Kestrel the half-elf says with a smile, and it was no problem trying to help when I could.

Just so it is known again, here is Kestrel's appearance from my character sheet

Kestrel is a handsome half-elf of almost 6 ft in height. While he is not paticularly witty, his charm often wins him friends in most bars. When that doesn't work, a good drinking contest impresses even his harshest of critics most times. He sports a clean shaven face and emerald green eyes which, along with his slightly pointed ears, point to his elven heritage. He wears clothing in shades of dark blues and greens, and a set of griffon hide armor passed down from his grandfather.

And just because I'd like to make a roll, first impression roll go!
Diplomacy
[roll0]

Madfellow
2013-05-14, 09:50 PM
Kestrel's wide smile sparkles in the moonlight, perfectly timed to coincide with a gust of wind that blows back his hair, culminating in a very striking first impression.

Couldn't resist. :smallbiggrin:

Sol
2013-05-17, 12:11 AM

Jacob tries, but fails to hide his...amusement... at Kestrel's display. Elves. he thought to himself. Even their men are prettier than most women in Misthaven. More flexible, too. Thoughts for another time, perhaps. He adjusts himself uncomfortably.

Nice to meet you, he manages.

I figure we have three options from here. We can return to the tavern and see if there's any hope in reviving Private Mason, we can report the events to the city militia, who as far as we know may have orchestrated this from the beginning, or we can continue our golem hunt, though I've no idea where to look.

My vote would be the tavern, but that may just be the barmaids and cider talking.

Zakalwe
2013-05-17, 06:28 AM
We left a seemingly working golem behind by the fountain, if it is still there.

Would be interested to know more about how this could have happened, but i am no authority on these things? Amna do you know? or Kestrel, any information on Golems?

Otherwise the scene of the crime may be a good place to return to, we should probably find out how legitimate our original mission was and at what level it was sanctioned, if at all.

Zakalwe
2013-05-20, 11:59 AM
Well i'm going to go back to the tavern then and see what the follow up is. Anyone else coming?

Madfellow
2013-05-20, 03:05 PM
As he passes by the fountain on his way back, Castro notices that the golem the group left behind is no longer there.

Sol
2013-05-21, 01:44 AM

Seems as good a plan as any, Jacob says with a sigh, and follows Castro.

Huh, that's odd. He's vanished as well? he notes as they walk past the fountain. He takes a moment to see if he can determine which direction that missing Golem was heading.

Perception: [roll0]

Madfellow
2013-05-21, 07:55 AM
There are a couple small streets branching off from the area of the fountain. The golem could have taken any one of them.

Zakalwe
2013-05-21, 04:08 PM
Castro will search the fallen golem remains for any clues.
Perception: [roll0]

Is there a trail you can pick up jacob?

Madfellow
2013-05-21, 07:34 PM
A couple of the golems have small pouches on their waists, usually used for transporting documents or funds when an owner wants something delivered. In these Castro finds a collection of banknotes worth a total of 140 gold angels, a small garnet gem. As he searches he notices that a couple of them have insignias on their chests. The insignias resemble that of the New Anglian Militia, with a few small differences.

Sol
2013-05-21, 09:46 PM

Sadly not, it could have gone that way, or that way, or that. That's the best I can do, and that's not good enough to wager on. Let's see what's happening back at the tavern.

Zakalwe
2013-05-23, 03:13 AM
Castro takes a good look at the insignia on the Golems, to burn it into his memory. Before following Jacob to the tavern.

Your right, we best return back to the tavern.

Falconknight06
2013-05-23, 04:34 PM
The Tavern sounds like a fine idea to me Kestrel will say with a grin as he has finished catching his breath. Perhaps I could think of a way to help you lot with your quest?

Madfellow
2013-05-23, 04:46 PM
Castro, Jacob, and Kestrel return to the Wayward Sailor. Many of its patrons seem to have vacated since they last saw it. Inside, a body has been laid on a table and covered with a sheet. A small group of soldiers surrounds it, their hats removed and their heads bowed.

Amna and Stalker can catch up whenever Fortis or WarrEll posts.

Falconknight06
2013-05-24, 01:14 AM
Kestrel whispers to the other two are these the guards you mentioned? And do they know about the golem problem?

Zakalwe
2013-05-24, 03:54 PM
Castro discretely replies to Kestrel
The body is that of our contact, the militia man who offered us an assignment. The golem we were chasing was with him.

Castro will listen to see if any info is forthcoming.

Sol
2013-05-24, 07:54 PM

Jacob approaches the group of soldiers and nods his head to the one who appears to be in charge.

Pardon, friend, I'm afraid there's more bad news.

Jacob explains to the soldier who he is, what he had been doing in the bar earlier, and the events that unfolded since. Namely, the unexpected violence from the militia golems, and the fact that the one who killed Mason got away without a trace.

He also asks if they have any idea what job Mason was trying to hire help on the side for. Especially with soldiers mourning their friend here, it doesn't look like his killing was official militia orders in response to an illegal scheme on his part.

Madfellow
2013-05-25, 09:04 AM
Jacob and Castro recognize these soldiers as the ones who were here earlier, drinking to the memory of a lost comrade. The bartender has given them each a mug of tea, but they are still very drunk. The sergeant does his best to answer Jacob's question. "I d'know ev'rythin'. I j'st know th'captain asked'im to recruit for'elp withthe orc problem. He'ad more d'tailed orders with'im, buthey're not'ere now. They'll'ave 'nother copyat headquarters."

Sol
2013-05-25, 05:28 PM

If you don't mind me asking, sergeant, how did your other friend die? You seem to have a larger problem than the orc one on your hands.

Zakalwe
2013-05-26, 04:39 AM
Castro will look at the militia badges currently being worn by those in the tavern, and if different will enquire about the badge on the Golems.

Otherwise he will listen to the Sergeant.

Madfellow
2013-05-26, 08:58 AM
"Claude? Hedied years'go in th'war. Tonight was th'annivers'ry of hisdeath."

The militiamen don't wear badges.

Falconknight06
2013-05-29, 03:55 PM
Perhaps we should go see this captain in person to receive this orc hunting job then? Kestrel will offer helpfully, not wanting to interrupt the troops mourning anymore than the group already was.

Zakalwe
2013-05-30, 06:24 AM
Seeing the captain could be a wise course of action,...Hmm what time is it, will he be on duty?

Castro will delicately enquire which captain is on duty at the moment and which captain ordered the job.

Madfellow
2013-05-30, 09:54 AM
"That'd be Cap'n Merle. Might b'best t'wait 'till mornin'."

Sol
2013-05-30, 01:34 PM

Why's that? This matter, especially regarding the golems seems rather urgent to my thinking. Jacob ponders for a bit, and visibly hesitates before asking his next question.

Who is in charge of servicing and programming the golems? Someone in the militia, or is it outsourced?

Madfellow
2013-05-30, 01:59 PM
The soldier thinks for a moment. "That'd b'the witch. Gr'selda Alb'roa."

Zakalwe
2013-05-31, 05:10 AM
Castro quietly says to his companions.
Perhaps we could seek this witch out first. more knowledge of the golems and their workings would be useful. Assuming it is not a fault at her end.

Before addressing the sergeant, any idea where we may find this witch?

Madfellow
2013-05-31, 03:28 PM
"Hrrrr.... Th'tower." The soldier's eyes droop and he sways dangerously.

Sol
2013-05-31, 06:13 PM

Jacob gracefully tries to catch the man before he falls over.

Well, that explains why he wanted us to wait til morning; looks like he's out for the night.

As for us, I'm more wary of a self-proclaimed witch than the militia, so I vote we head over to HQ and see who's awake.

Acrobatics check to catch the man. [roll0]

Zakalwe
2013-06-01, 02:47 AM
O.K. That seems like a good plan, lets head over that way, just let me get a quick refreshment.

Castro asks the bar keep for a small glass of anything cold, water wine, whatever, he's a bit hot after the chase still.

Madfellow
2013-06-01, 10:31 AM
Jacob catches the man and steadies him. The barkeep sets a glass of water on the bar. "On the house," he says.

Zakalwe
2013-06-03, 04:00 AM
Cheers Catro replies to the bar tender.

Right, shall we head off to see the captain then,