PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a word - Thing that breaks to prevent the whole from being destroyed

Cikomyr
2013-04-13, 02:08 PM
Hi there. I am currently writing a paper on the nature of capitalism, and I am making an analogy with..

here is where I am stuck: I know on electric pole, the electric lines are connected to the pole with some failsafe that are meant to detach themselves in case of too much weight applied on the line.

this protects the poles and the expensive equipment from being ripped out by an accident, and the technician can simply re-attach the line later.

Someone has the name for it?

angrymudcrab
2013-04-13, 02:44 PM
I haven't heard of that, though admittedly the only thing I know about high voltage power lines is what is on wiki. A similar thing used with powerlines that might work as an analogy are circuit breakers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_breaker#High-voltage_circuit_breakers), though those are intended to protect equipment from overloads and short circuits, not weight on the line. But they do a similar thing by breaking the connection before it can cause damage and once the problem is resolved they can be reset. In addition they are probably more familiar, since most people have probably had to reset the breakers in their house at some point, while very few people work as linemen.

sktarq
2013-04-13, 03:54 PM
Fuse is a good one. Unlike a breaker the fuse itself is destroyed in the action. Which is closer to your original description.

Other industries and design teams use different terms for the idea. Snap lines and Safety breaks were two that I know floated around in hte late 90's.

Aedilred
2013-04-13, 03:59 PM
Although not applicable to your metaphor/simile, the best term I can think of is "safety valve".

Manga Shoggoth
2013-04-13, 04:33 PM
At least for a lanyard, they are called safety breakaways.

The general term is, I think, weak point.

Talanic
2013-04-13, 08:38 PM
The adjective for something that is destroyed to protect something else is ablative. Ablative armor, to ablate, ablation, etc.

Xuc Xac
2013-04-13, 10:16 PM
The adjective for something that is destroyed to protect something else is ablative. Ablative armor, to ablate, ablation, etc.

"Ablative" just means it's destroyed or removed. "Armor" protects something.

Talanic
2013-04-14, 02:19 AM
...sad thing is, that's not the first time I remember making that mistake. Thanks for catching it, though.

Zorg
2013-04-14, 04:55 AM
Well ablative armour is a thing that exists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_armor), so it's not a mistake.

As for the OP, I'm pretty sure such a thing does not actually exist in they way you seem to be describing it. The ends of power cables are secured with what are commonly called "dead end clamps (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/899/013/514/514013899_061.jpg)" (google that term for more info), and they are designed to be very secure, what with being one of two points securing hundreds of metres of steel cable in place.

Elemental
2013-04-14, 05:00 AM
The problem I'm having is I can think of numerous specific instances of what you mean, but no overarching term...
Something that may help: I just looked up fuse on Wikipedia, and it calls it a 'Sacrificial Device'. Further investigation yields the term 'sacrificial part', which is defined as the following:

"...part of a machine or product that is intentionally engineered to fail under excess mechanical stress, electrical stress, or other unexpected and dangerous situations. The sacrificial part is engineered to fail first, and thus protect other parts of the system."

Cikomyr
2013-04-14, 09:38 AM
Well ablative armour is a thing that exists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_armor), so it's not a mistake.

As for the OP, I'm pretty sure such a thing does not actually exist in they way you seem to be describing it. The ends of power cables are secured with what are commonly called "dead end clamps (http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/899/013/514/514013899_061.jpg)" (google that term for more info), and they are designed to be very secure, what with being one of two points securing hundreds of metres of steel cable in place.

After the 1998 Ice storm in Quebec, I know Hydro-Quebec installed such device on the lines held by the massive electric pylones. During the storm, the ice created such a weight on the line that the pylones themselves collapsed; causing much more damage than if just the lines had snapped.

So I get from you people, there are no perfectly coined term for that.. Darn. Thanks!

kurokotetsu
2013-04-14, 10:07 AM
I would go with fuse. People are more or less used to them, they are studied in high school (or at least they were toght to me) and not few people have changed one in their cars, so the term is indeed known. As you are using it as an analogy, you don't need an exact term, just something near enogh and that is familiar to your reader.

Ablative armor works in a similar way, but it isnt' that well known. The circuit breakers are near, but work differently enough that it may cause confussion. Sacrificial device/part os more general, but not necessarily a well known term.

Adlan
2013-04-14, 03:50 PM
a failure point is the term that comes to mind.

Lorsa
2013-04-14, 04:15 PM
Can we see the paper when you are done?

Traab
2013-04-14, 05:24 PM
a failure point is the term that comes to mind.

Yep point of failure. Many items are built with these things specifically for the reason you mentioned. Its cheaper and easier to replace that part than to risk it breaking somewhere else instead.

Cikomyr
2013-04-16, 07:00 AM
Can we see the paper when you are done?

I will be happy to send a copy to anybody who asks. But since it's Political Economy; I won't post a transcript of it online for fear of upsetting the Mods.

It's a moderate read; about 13 pages (4,000 words, +-10%)

Slayn82
2013-04-16, 07:39 PM
I would love to read your paper. Also, i must add that In portuguese we also use the term scapegoat - bode expiatório - To convey this meaning.

celtois
2013-04-17, 04:32 PM
If there is a word for it I think failsafe is that word.

:smalltongue:

GnomeFighter
2013-04-30, 09:34 AM
I think what your looking for is Shear Bolt or Shear Pin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_pin

Cikomyr
2013-05-01, 05:14 AM
All right, my paper is finished and proofread. People may send me their email by PM, I'll send them a copy.

Cikomyr
2013-06-18, 05:27 AM
I know it's thread necromancy, I just wanted to give an update!!

I got 75 for this paper!! "Distinction - Excellent"!! I just needed to scream my happiness around!!!

GolemsVoice
2013-06-18, 05:33 AM
There's the German word: Sollbruchstelle. Which means "place that is designed to intentionally break (when certain conditions are met)"

Cikomyr
2013-06-18, 05:45 AM
I used "point of failure", meant to describe the capitalist economy's function in a liberal democracy. It basically removes the burden of responsibility of the economy from the ruling body, as any democratic institutions depends on the people's trust in them to exert any power.