PDA

View Full Version : Feats for a Construct

zoobob9
2013-04-13, 08:16 PM
Long story short: What is a good single feat for a Homonculus? Only one feat, and it's the basic 2HD version (I'm poor, don't judge me).

Any and all suggestions are welcomed, because I'm probably gonna have a few of them for different purposes.

Divide by Zero
2013-04-13, 08:49 PM
What kind of homunculus?

Glimbur
2013-04-13, 08:58 PM
At that level of hit points, Toughness is less awful.

Or Weapon Focus, because +1 to hit is nontrivial.

Dodge is too much bookkeeping.

They might have an initiator level of 0 and so be unable to take a Martial Study. Check with your DM.

Skill Focus has amusing implications.

Dash or Run are very niche.

One of the Devotion feats?

I would suggest Shape Soulmeld but construct means - con.

Binder feat? I forget what it's called, but it opens a number of options.

Waspinator
2013-04-13, 09:15 PM
2 HD? If I understand right, it should be able to take Martial Study and get one Tome of Battle level 1 maneuver.

Divide by Zero
2013-04-13, 09:25 PM
2 HD? If I understand right, it should be able to take Martial Study and get one Tome of Battle level 1 maneuver.

Only if it can somehow get a feat at level 2. At level 1 it has an IL of 0.

Waspinator
2013-04-13, 09:51 PM
Actually, it's an IL of .5, right? How does that round?

Jeff the Green
2013-04-13, 09:51 PM
Draconic Aura? It can hide in your backpack and give everyone fast healing.

Edit:

Actually, it's an IL of .5, right? How does that round?

Down, like everything else.

Urpriest
2013-04-13, 10:00 PM
Only if it can somehow get a feat at level 2. At level 1 it has an IL of 0.

Sort of. The weird thing about monsters is that they're often designed with the assumption that they get all their feats on the last RHD. I wouldn't fault a DM for ignoring that, since there's no explicit rule that says it works that way, it just happens to be how many of the examples work. It's dubious enough that I think I don't even mention it in my monster handbook, but there ya go.

It's debatable whether you can get fast healing with the Draconic Aura feat, but if you can then go to town. Otherwise, some sort of armor proficiency might be nice if you want to gear the guy up, and a feat that gives UMD as a class skill (homunculi have hands, right?) could open up all sorts of fun.

Skysaber
2013-04-14, 03:05 AM
Those feats in Complete Arcane that each grant 3 SLAs? Night Haunt is particularly good, as it's hard not to find a use for 1/day Prestidigitation and Unseen Servant (and Dancing Lights from the same means now you're not having to carry your own torches, backpack homunculus does it for you!)

Spell Hand, offering Tenser's Floating Disk and Mage Hand is another strong choice for utility purposes.

Or, if you're carrying around Spell Storing ammo, homunculi with Soul of the North could be loading those up with Chill Touch for you without impacting your own spells per day.

Really, any feats that grant spells could have application. You might even see if your DM would let them carry a Dragonmark from Eberron as their one feat, as that expands what spells they could be loaded with nicely.

Hmm, dragonmarks ARE blood-based, and homunculi are created using blood as one of the ingredients. Perhaps with a bit of blood from someone bearing such a dragonmark as an extra ingredient he'd be ok with it.

Fyermind
2013-04-14, 03:18 AM
Lifesight from The book of bad latin is pretty decent if you want it to scout.

Skysaber
2013-04-14, 03:29 AM
Lifesight from The book of bad latin is pretty decent if you want it to scout.

In that same vein Mindsight out of Lords of Madness should apply, as they've got telepathy with 1,500ft range (only with you, but Mindsight doesn't seem to care about peculiarities like that, only its range). And homunculi can share what they sense with their master.

Getting 1,500ft effective blindsense vs anything not mindless is quite nice.