PDA

View Full Version : Computer Peripherals: Help me find a mouse.

matt321miller
2013-04-14, 06:32 AM
I'm actually just looking for a gaming mouse but a discussion of all computer peripherals is just as good. I'm speaking from the perspective of a recent PC gaming convert since I now own a great laptop and I've been using a crappy £5 usb mouse we have laying around. So my questions and requirements:

What are good value for money brands?
How much of a difference does a higher dpi really make?
It should be vaguely ergonomical in design, about "medium" in size.
I have £30-$45 to spend realistically
What are good keybinds for the extra mouse buttons and do I need more than 5? I'm not playing WoW, mostly fallout 3+NV, some FPS, Guildwars 1+2.

angrymudcrab
2013-04-14, 10:09 AM
I don't use gaming mice, but Logitech is a good brand. The mouse I'm using now is Logitech. I bought it at walmart for about $15(basically it is a £5 mouse :smalltongue: ), and it has lasted me through college to the present day. Assuming their gaming mice are of comparable quality, I'd take a look at what Logitech has to offer.

kurokotetsu
2013-04-14, 10:20 AM
Depends on what you play and how you play. The Razer Mamba (http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-mamba) I feel gives you a very nice precission and is quite confortable (for my relatively small hands to bigger hands like those of the friend who owns it), but is quite steep, and really you won't be profiting a lot unless you play a least some amount of competitive FPSs (where I find at least that the precisson is more important).

Logitech mouses have usually a decent precission and a confortable form and are more cheaper, but they are designed to be more standarized and are far less ergonomical, but quite durable, but they tend also to be usually smaller these days from what I've seen (a lot of them being travel mouses). I don't have problems gaming with one, but they won't be great. For the range you say, and unless you spend 5 hours a day gaming, I would go with one of these.

factotum
2013-04-14, 10:29 AM
Logitech mouses have usually a decent precission and a confortable form and are more cheaper, but they are designed to be more standarized and are far less ergonomical, but quite durable, but they tend also to be usually smaller these days from what I've seen (a lot of them being travel mouses).

Dunno what sites you've been looking at for Logitech peripherals, but they do a whole range of mice--they're certainly not limited to travel mice. I have quite large hands and the Logitech G400 I use is probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever handled!

kurokotetsu
2013-04-14, 10:37 AM
Dunno what sites you've been looking at for Logitech peripherals, but they do a whole range of mice--they're certainly not limited to travel mice. I have quite large hands and the Logitech G400 I use is probably the most comfortable mouse I've ever handled!I don't say limited, but they are certainly the most common ones. They are others, but specially hei wireless variety, tend to be small, even for my hands, and seem travel oriented. And I was not talking only about online stores, but about physical ones, where I lately I can't seem to find that much gaming variety. Admitedly, I haven't gone searching for one lately, but what I've looked over in stores those small travel mouses are their primary market nowdays. They will be durable and quite good, but not very ergonomic (and the most "gaming ones" I see from them I feel them overly complex and in the end not that confortable) and tend o be on the smaller scale.

Isak
2013-04-14, 06:02 PM
I'm of the opinion that all gaming peripherals on the PC should be wired. Batteries dying mid-game, latency issues, tracking issues; Things that you encounter in wireless mice; are a no go for me. I used to be big into a fairly competitive level of FPS gaming, so I enjoy a good mouse.

I'm currently on my second Cyborg mouse, although I do highly recommend Razer as well (I've used a few in the past, and they've always been EXTREMELY comfortable mice to use. They tend mostly towards Wireless nowadays though).

My current mouse is a Cyborg R.A.T. 5 (http://www.cyborggaming.com/prod/rat5.htm) and I absolutely LOVE this mouse. Adjustable weighting system, four different on the fly sensitivity settings (Up to 5600DPI, if I'm not mistaken... and as low as either 400 or 800?).

Very comfortable, even with longer fingers, a fairly decent amount of programmable buttons, and a good set of software to go along with it.

Highly recommend anything through them myself :smallbiggrin:

factotum
2013-04-15, 02:47 AM
I'm of the opinion that all gaming peripherals on the PC should be wired.

I agree. I don't see the benefit of wireless for these things--it's not like the cable really gets in the way! For a console-style controller where you might want to be using it sat on the far side of the room from your TV I can see where wireless would be nice, but not for a PC peripheral.

Hyde
2013-04-15, 03:14 AM
I use a Razer Naga, but that's because the dozen buttons are useful for MMOs (not that i actually play anymore).

Anyway, it's an ergonomic design, and I've been pretty satisfied with Razer overall.

Whoracle
2013-04-15, 05:46 AM
Piping in for Logitech here. I use the G500 (Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G500-Programmable-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B002J9GDXI)), which clocks in at $50. 3 thumb buttons, adjustable mouse speed, unlockable scrollwheel, adjustable weight, robust and nice to look at. Wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Karoht
2013-04-15, 11:54 AM
I am much more of a fan of Steelseries. I find their equipment is more durable and better built. I run a Steelseries Cataclysm mouse (the layout is a bit scattered but I like it), the only reason I replaced my previous Steelseries was because the Cataclysm was a gift, and it has more buttons.
MOAR BUTT-ONS!
My old Steelseries is now my laptop mouse.
My fiance won the Steelseries Diablo 3 mouse. I completely recommend it, but there are so many other mice on the market that use the same layout, and you won't be paying for the name or the pretty lights on it.

But, if you want a 5 button mouse rather than something festooned in buttons, I totally recommend logitech. For 30-40 bucks CDN (I don't know what that translates into for pounds/euros), they have a very ergonomic 5 button mouse, it is also very durable. I gave one away some 4 years ago (so I'm sure they have a newer model or the same one but cheaper), and it shows barely any wear and tear. Steelseries does one similar, but it costs $10 more and I'm really not seeing why that is.

Logitech also is more plug-and-play compatible if that matters, Steelseries typically requires some sort of download, though not in all cases. I keep a Logitech 5 button with me for when I go gaming down at internet cafe's/game centers because they usually have two button mice which are beaten all to hell. We enjoy games like Left4Dead and TF2 in person rather than at home, so occasionally we go visit those centers. They're nice, but I like my kit to be of a certain standard. Yes, that probably makes me a bit of a snob, I don't care. I plug in my Logitech mouse, and I'm ready to go.

Lastly, this sounds dumb but it is completely true. Your mousepad is important. It completely affects the wear and tear and dust/lint buildup of your mouse. Vinyl tops are fine, but the minute they start getting pits or holes, get rid of them, it's going to mess up your sensor from time to time, which will only annoy you. Cloth tops attract and hold dust and lint. It's fine if you clean your mouse decently regularly (yes, I'm anal about that sort of thing), but if you don't want to keep up with that kind of maintenance effort, don't use one. And those ergonomic pads to rest your wrist on? Worth. Every. Penny. Trust me.

Joran
2013-04-15, 02:46 PM
I agree. I don't see the benefit of wireless for these things--it's not like the cable really gets in the way! For a console-style controller where you might want to be using it sat on the far side of the room from your TV I can see where wireless would be nice, but not for a PC peripheral.

Depends on how the cable snags. I've always had annoying cable problems with my computer at home, but not at work oddly.

I have the discontinued G7 Logitech mouse, which is really nice since it has hot-swappable rechargeable batteries. Swapping out batteries is easy and it has two batteries so I can play with one while charging the other. I'm going to be saddened when it dies.

Hyde
2013-04-16, 04:28 AM
I can't stand the steelseries cataclysm mouse. I have big hands and it has this fin-thingy on the side where one might put their pinky- and it drives me nuts.

matt321miller
2013-04-16, 06:24 AM
We had some sort of Logitech wireless mouse in my youth for the family desktop. We never had any problems with it and it was a great mouse, very comfortable and robust. I would lean towards Logitech as I know it's good for the money, however there are so many other brands and models that outside opinion is very helpful.

Mice designed like that Cyborg always look like they'd be uncomfortable to me, also my girlfriend would laugh me out of the apartment just for how it looks like a space ship.

Lorsa
2013-04-16, 06:40 AM
My problem with mice is that they are often too big for my hand. Ideally you want a mouse that you can move around without having to move your wrist much. So it should be smaller than you hand which is extremely difficult to find a good gaming mouse that is. Also many of those large thingies with lots of buttons are shaped in a way that I can't reach half the buttons easily which takes away the point. I had a razer which was problematic because at least one of the buttons that was supposed to be reached by my thumb wasn't (very easily). So I bought a new one where I can reach things better. It's still in the somewhat large category though. I really wish they would start making mice in different sizes - like clothes and shoes. Hand size is different just as much as feet size.

Oh, and wireless is a no-no. Wires is just faster. Faster = better.

Weezer
2013-04-16, 08:53 AM
I recently got a Logitech G400 and its great, couldn't recommend it enough. A nice size with substantial but not excessive weight to it. Comfortable, on the fly sensitivity adjustments, it's just great.

Hyde
2013-04-16, 11:09 PM
My problem with mice is that they are often too big for my hand. Ideally you want a mouse that you can move around without having to move your wrist much. So it should be smaller than you hand which is extremely difficult to find a good gaming mouse that is. Also many of those large thingies with lots of buttons are shaped in a way that I can't reach half the buttons easily which takes away the point. I had a razer which was problematic because at least one of the buttons that was supposed to be reached by my thumb wasn't (very easily). So I bought a new one where I can reach things better. It's still in the somewhat large category though. I really wish they would start making mice in different sizes - like clothes and shoes. Hand size is different just as much as feet size.

Oh, and wireless is a no-no. Wires is just faster. Faster = better.
My brother has a mouse... a R.A.T. ? I seem to recall. anyway, it's dimensions outside of the primary buttons were completely adjustable.

matt321miller
2013-04-17, 02:26 AM
My brother has a mouse... a R.A.T. ? I seem to recall. anyway, it's dimensions outside of the primary buttons were completely adjustable.

Now that makes a lot more sense as to it's strange appearance. Girlfriend will still leave me based on it's appearance though :smallannoyed:

Hyde
2013-04-17, 02:29 AM
Now that makes a lot more sense as to it's strange appearance. Girlfriend will still leave me based on it's appearance though :smallannoyed:

why?
I don't get it

Karoht
2013-04-17, 10:42 AM

A girl will leave you over the appearance of your computer peripherals?

A RAT looks nothing like a rodent BTW. No more than a mouse does already.