PDA

View Full Version : PF: Fun Classes...

Xander96
2013-04-14, 10:06 AM
Hey guys. I am going to be playing a pirate game. Any ideas on fun classes to play for this style campaign? My initial thoughts are possibly a gunslinger, ranger, or druid.

Feedback most welcome! Thank you!

maxriderules
2013-04-14, 10:20 AM
Depends on what you plan to do. If you're going to board, a Barbarian would be fun to roleplay (as a rule) or a Paladin tasked with hunting pirates. For destroying ships, definitely a wizard or sorceror. If you're gonna have a crew of NPCs and use them a lot, maybe a bard? They'll be good for social fu, buffs, and fillling the 'swashbuckling rogue' archetype.

Xander96
2013-04-14, 10:48 AM
No interest in playing a paladin in a pirate game. We"ll definitely be a band of pirates sailing the high seas!

From what I was reading, Acquatic Druids looked pretty interesting. Ranger also seems intriguing. The option of duel wielding rapiers or shooting a bow with animal companion in tow is pretty cool. Druids I would think would also be another great option at destroying ships no?

Machinekng
2013-04-14, 10:49 AM
It really does depend on what role you want to fill. All those classes would work well. A Ranger would be a good navigator, sailor and deck fighting, a a Gunslinger could command the ship's cannons and help with boarding action, and Druid could use his magic to summon aquatic allies and affect enemy ships directly.

EDIT: Druids would definitely be good at destroying ships. Between summoning things like giant squid and spells like wood warp, they can do some serious damage.

Jacob.Tyr
2013-04-14, 10:49 AM
I really love the MC archetypes wiki, as it has a lot of really awesome options. If you can get DM approval, desperado could make a really awesome pirate character.(http://mcarchetype.wikispaces.com/Ultimate+Multiclass+Archetypes)

Xander96
2013-04-14, 10:54 AM
Great suggestions so far! Keep it up! I also heard that a summoner might work well? Not sure.

Desperado made me laugh because I could just imagine playing Antonio Banderas toting around a guitar case with my gun inside! lol

Slipperychicken
2013-04-14, 11:33 AM
Pirate captains are obviously Bards.

Just go watch Pirates of Penzance and you'll have some inspiration :smallbiggrin:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-14, 12:08 PM
Archetype/Class Suggestions:
Tempest Druid
Synthesist Summoer (become a fish-thing)
Storm Druid
Shark/ Eagle/ or Ape Totem Druid
Seasinger Bard
Sea Reaver Barbarian
Pirate Rogue
Freebooter Ranger
Firebomber Alchemist (Goblin only)
Corsair Fighter
Buccaneer Gunglinger (Human only)
Buccaneer Bard

Races to look at:
Catfolk
Gillmen
Merfolk
Undine
Vanara

In general, it will be helpful to be a character with a climb or swim speed.

Elricaltovilla
2013-04-14, 01:00 PM
I'm going to go ahead and suggest Magus, because they're the perfect Gish (and I love Gishes). They're great swordsmen, so great for boarding and duels on the high seas, plus they have the magic to back up their swordsmanship and help out the crew.

Xander96
2013-04-14, 01:53 PM
If I were to go the path of a ranger or a druid. What animal companion would you recommend for a pirate campaign?

Razanir
2013-04-14, 02:05 PM
Either this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260705) (homebrew from the playground for a Paladin without such a strict code) or else just be an Inquisitor. Either way, you could be a pirate who works to hunt down other pirates

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-14, 02:19 PM
If I were to go the path of a ranger or a druid. What animal companion would you recommend for a pirate campaign?IMHO, best three options are a

Ape: 30 ft. Climb speed, 3 attacks, hands.
Orca: 120 ft. blindsight, 80 ft. swim speed might actually keep up with the boat.
Roc: 80 ft. fly speed, becomes large size.

With some honorable mentions being the

Giant Chameleon: 40 ft. climb speed
Giant (Enemy) Crab: Obvious reasons
Crocodile: grab+death roll = win
Giant Frog: amphibious, grapple
Octopus: amphibious, poison
Giant Wasp: flight, poison

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2013-04-14, 02:53 PM
Aquatic bloodline sorcerer is really fun even in non-aquatic campaigns, so I can't imagine they wouldn't be great in a seafaring adventure. Magus is another good suggestion, since a magus will always have something to do.

grarrrg
2013-04-14, 04:34 PM
Hey guys. I am going to be playing a pirate game. Any ideas on fun classes to play for this style campaign? My initial thoughts are possibly a gunslinger, ranger, or druid.

PiRates eh?

Go Ratfolk.

Be either a RangeR oR a Rogue. If you go Rogue, definitely take the Rake oR the Roof RunneR aRchetypes. TheRe aRe no good aRchetypes for RangeR.

FoR weapon, use a RapieR.

PRobably focus on Reposition combat maneuveRs.
TheRe aRe a few feats that will help with this. But don't foRget, you'll need the Combat ExpeRtise feat to qualify for most of them.

Happy Raiding!

Slipperychicken
2013-04-14, 04:51 PM
If I were to go the path of a ranger or a druid. What animal companion would you recommend for a pirate campaign?

Parrot. A parrot named Polly. This is not negotiable. Get a casting of Awaken so it can talk.

Using any other animal in a Pirate game is cause for great shame and seppuku. If nothing else, use Raven familiar stats so you can have it talk and be awesome.

Blyte
2013-04-14, 05:53 PM
a sea sick dwarf fighter who mounted the head of a ripsaw glaive on the end of his right arm stump. he has also fashioned a side handle to it so it is easily wielded two-handed.

his name is Vern and he has a bad attitude. he has this strange feeling he is stuck in another time and place.

give him the throw anything feat, and eventually improvised weapon mastery

Chained Birds
2013-04-14, 10:28 PM
Seasinger Bard
Buccaneer Bard

No love for the Watersinger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-undine/watersinger) Bard? Best Bard for an Aquatic themed adventure ever!

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-14, 10:35 PM
No no love for it, just didn't see it. I'm sure I missed a good fighter or rogue archetype too, considering there are so goddam many of them.

Renen
2013-04-14, 11:14 PM
There's always the Gundolon

Psyren
2013-04-14, 11:29 PM
Parrot. A parrot named Polly. This is not negotiable. Get a casting of Awaken so it can talk.

Using any other animal in a Pirate game is cause for great shame and seppuku. If nothing else, use Raven familiar stats so you can have it talk and be awesome.

Actually, there are plenty of pirates with monkeys too - e.g. Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean. And monkey companions are extremely handy, e.g. being able to untie you or open chests.

Xander96
2013-04-15, 05:35 AM
Gundolon?

I do like the appeal of a ranger or druid. The arcane classes are interesting, but the problem with them is they are kind of gishy because they can't wear heavier armor due to ASF.

From what I read of the aquatic druid the 13th level ability they gain where they dr slashing or piercing 1/2 your level is pretty nice. Not to mention the other cool things about druids is they have an animal companion to begin, ability to cast pretty cool spells, & provide healing if need be.

The ranger is cool because you can unleash many weapons at your disposal; shoot a bow, duel wield, & have an animal companion wreak havoc for you.

Rogues are cool, however, the kind of games my GM runs you need to have a character with decent hp/ac/bab. Our rogue in our party ALWAYS got owned n combat. So while the appeal of a rogue is enticing. It's not the route I want to go down.

I've played a fighter before and they're ok. Cleric is a possibility, but I still lean towards a druid if I want to play a divine caster because they have that animal companion by their sides at all times. And not only that but they can summon animals in the sea to take out ships. That intrigues me.

Inquisitors seem interesting, however, the players I am playing with will be looking to BE the pirates, looting, pillaging, ect. I don't want to be the odd man out, which also eliminates the paladin as well.

The summoner seems cool. I'm just uncertain how I would go about playing that class with an eidolon & so forth. I don't know how much fun they are to play. Do you guys?

Xander96
2013-04-15, 05:59 AM
After doing some research, I found the aquatic druid & the undine adept are the most intriguing options for the druid class in a pirate campaign

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-undine/undine-adept-druid-undine

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid/archetypes/paizo---druid-archetypes/aquatic-druid

Can you elect not to select a special ability? For example, can I elect not to take the special ability commune & keep venom immunity for the undine adept class?

grarrrg
2013-04-15, 07:39 AM
There's always the Gundolon

Gundolon (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12152413#post12152413)

Pirate-y?
Not so much.

Pistols a blazing?
Yes.

Can you elect not to select a special ability? For example, can I elect not to take the special ability commune & keep venom immunity for the undine adept class?

Short answer, No.
Long answer, ask your DM, he may allow it.

Archetypes are balanced based on the WHOLE of all the changes.
(to help prevent long winded discussions...."_ideally_ they are balanced....")

For semi-proof of this, I give you the Empyreal Knight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/empyreal-knight) archetype for Paladin.
At level 2 they lose Divine Grace (arguably their best ability) and gain...the ability to speak/read Celestial language.
The rest of the abilities generally make up for it, but the "gain" at level 2 is a REAL stinker.

Larkas
2013-04-15, 07:51 AM
I do like the appeal of a ranger or druid. The arcane classes are interesting, but the problem with them is they are kind of gishy because they can't wear heavier armor due to ASF.

Wait, do you want to raid ships or be a ships anchor? :smallbiggrin: A seafaring adventure is a great reason to aim for a lighter armor!

Man on Fire
2013-04-15, 08:04 AM
If you want to go Gunslinger, there is an archetype (Buckaneer was it?) who is build to turn gunslinger into Jack Sparrow. Your grit is now charisma-based and you use your gun in one hand and sword in other. You have to be human to take it, through.

EntrerisShadow
2013-04-15, 08:24 AM
If you want to go Gunslinger, there is an archetype (Buckaneer was it?) who is build to turn gunslinger into Jack Sparrow. Your grit is now charisma-based and you use your gun in one hand and sword in other. You have to be human to take it, through.

I believe the archetype you are thinking of is actually the Mysterious Stranger, and good news-it is not human only. It would be a great fit for a Pirate campaign.

Xander96
2013-04-15, 08:39 AM
Good point Larkos! Although my armor options might depend on what my dex mod will end up being. The ultimate way to go would be to have a Roc as my pet, but I doubt my GM will allow that. LOL

Plus I feel with arcane types they are much more gishier than a ranger or druid

Larkas
2013-04-15, 09:35 AM
Minor advice: I think you are misunderstanding terms here! :smallbiggrin: Gish is a character concept that involves casting (usually arcane, but this varies) and sword wielding. It is basically a character competent both in sword and sorcery. A "gishy character" is a character that can fit those shoes more or less successfully, i.e. the Magus out of the box, or some build involving Fighter, Wizard and Eldritch Knight for example. On the other hand, we have "squishy characters", that are basically characters that can't withstand much damage, and will be, ehm, splattered somewhat easily if damaged by any attack. Gishy characters more often than not are not very squishy. :smallwink: But carry on, I just wanted to let you know the terms. :smallsmile:

Xander96
2013-04-15, 09:43 AM
Ah gotcha. Yes I prefer characters that are not squishy. Sure mages are very powerful characters later on, but it's the road getting there that can be quite painful if you don't have the right support

RFLS
2013-04-15, 10:27 AM
I can vouch for the fact that a DFI bard in a ship-based campaign is really, really powerful, especially if you have a crew to volley attacks.

Slipperychicken
2013-04-15, 11:08 AM
Actually, there are plenty of pirates with monkeys too - e.g. Barbossa in Pirates of the Caribbean. And monkey companions are extremely handy, e.g. being able to untie you or open chests.

Good point. I didn't think of a monkey. Having either/both would be important to creating a complete pirate adventure, even if they were simply pets rather than class features.

Xander96
2013-04-15, 11:12 AM
I'm sorry. I'm unfamiliar with the acronym DFI. What does this mean exactly? Apologies for the noobness. :smallbiggrin:

RFLS
2013-04-15, 11:13 AM
I'm sorry. I'm unfamiliar with the acronym DFI. What does this mean exactly? Apologies for the noobness. :smallbiggrin:

No problem. It's Dragonfire Inspiration. It converts Inspire Courage bonuses into +d6s of (normally) fire damage. I believe it requires the Dragonblood subtype.

Arbane
2013-04-15, 11:22 AM
No problem. It's Dragonfire Inspiration. It converts Inspire Courage bonuses into +d6s of (normally) fire damage. I believe it requires the Dragonblood subtype.

Do they have that one in Pathfinder?

Slipperychicken
2013-04-15, 11:24 AM
Do they have that one in Pathfinder?

No, but many groups do combine PF and 3.5 material.

Karoht
2013-04-15, 11:31 AM

3 Levels of Gunslinger, followed by levels in either Rogue or Ninja.
Why? Sneak Attacks hitting Flat Footed Touch AC's is just awesome.
Get at Goz Mask (it grants vision through fog/smoke and it grants waterbreathing, both excellent things to have) and sit in your smoke bomb clouds, and pew pew away.
Add in Poisons, things get very fun.
Add in Crippling Strike and/or Pressure Points to deal STR/DEX damage every time a Sneak Attack successfully hits, and you become a very lethal sniper.

There are rules for combining two items together for a higher cost, add Sniper Goggles to your Goz Mask if your DM lets you. Sit on another boat, or at the back of your boat, or on one of the lower decks, and brutalize people in the adjacent ship.

grarrrg
2013-04-15, 05:25 PM
I believe the archetype you are thinking of is actually the Mysterious Stranger, and good news-it is not human only. It would be a great fit for a Pirate campaign.

No, he did mean Buccaneer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human/buccaneer-gunslinger-human), and it is Human only.

Read the link for full details, but here are some highlights:
CHA for Grit purposes.
You get Sea Legs as a Bonus Feat at level 1 (but lose Quick Clear :smallfrown: ).
Can spend a Grit and a Swift at 3rd to possibly Confuse an opponent or 1 round (lose Pistol Whip).
11th you can cast Old Salt's Curse for 2 Grit, which inflicts Sickened or Staggered (lose Lightning Reload).

You only get Gun Training once, at level 13 at that....BUT!
You get a FAMILIAR! (effective Wizard level is only 1/2 your class level, but the way Familiars work, it still gets your full Bab and 1/2 your TOTAL HP)

9th is Sword and Pistol Feat...You can make Ranged attacks without provoking AoO's (some limits apply). Normally this is a cruddy feat, what with the FOUR Pre-Req feats, but for FREE? Yes please!

Squirrel_Dude
2013-04-15, 09:33 PM
Random question on guns: What kind do you think your DM is going to allow; standard or advanced? How do you think they'll be implemented.

Also, word to the wise: Boats normally have a metric ton of health, so shooting them will just end up being too expensive. Most fights are going to just end up following a very simple pattern.

- maneuver around, ship with greater ranged firepower tries to stay out of melee

- ranged attack distance (~200-100 ft.): Everyone fires ranged attacks at everyone else. Just have the crew use some crossbows in mass. It will still be more cost effective than bolts. Fireball the hell out of things.

- closing distance (~100-25 ft.): The best weapons to use here are things like alchemist fire, culverins, fire drakes, gunpowder barrels, etc.

- boarding distance: The party should be at your place. That way they have to kill of your whole crew. Keep in mind that the average crew size for a Brig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brig) (the classic pirate ship) required 12 to 16 to sail. That means combat ready crew sizes will probably be ~38 strong.

Once you get fireball, this becomes less of an issue, but once fireball starts getting thrown around, naval campaigns get weird. :smalltongue:

Xander96
2013-04-16, 10:39 AM
Dragon born, I'm having difficulty finding anything in PF for this. Help?

Chained Birds
2013-04-16, 04:39 PM
Dragon born, I'm having difficulty finding anything in PF for this. Help?

There is none, it is 3.5 stuff.

Xander96
2013-04-17, 02:17 PM
Ok so are there any other PF archetypes for a bard worth looking @ in a pirate game or no?

I need archetypes for Druids, bards, & rangers if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out. Ty

Karoht
2013-04-17, 02:28 PM
Sound Striker is always cool on Bards.
I will murder you.
With the power or ROCK!

At 6th level when you get Weird Words, you get to make 6 ranged touch attacks, each dealing 1D8 + CHA bonus. Fort save for half for each bolt. It scales poorly, caps at 10 bolts at 10th level. But it is very potent. For campaigns incorporating 3.5 material it is an excellent way of making use of Dragonfire Inspiration, though there is debate on if that works or not with Weird Words.

If you are clever about it, you can keep up your buff music and still make use of Weird Words. Requires the feat Lingering Performance. Which is very handy on it's own mind you. Still, with Lingering Performace, I think you then gain your Morale Bonus to Weird Words damage as well. You'd have to look into that one.

I've heard tell that Weird Words can deliver your Sneak Attack damage. Which could be silly if combined with a Rogue Archetype like Rake (Intimidate checks every time someone takes Sneak Attack). So up to 10 targets could take 1D8 + CHA + Sneak Attack Dice + roll Sense Motive VS Intimidate. And with Bard spellcasting to back it up (Grease, Glitterdust, Invisibility, and a few others) it shouldn't be too hard to get targets Flat Footed. Blasty + Battlefield Control + Debuffs + Party Buffs. Could be lots of fun.

Azif13
2013-04-17, 02:33 PM

I'm putting this in my signature :smallbiggrin: