PDA

View Full Version : New Quest: Bachelor Party

Guildenstern
2013-04-14, 01:14 PM
Hey guys, I've been selected to serve as the best man at my best friend's wedding this summer (which is a huge honor, of course) and one of the traditional duties of this position is of course to plan the bachelor party. Just to get this out of the way, none of us are much interested in strippers, excessive booze, etc. so they "typical" suggestions that you usually hear don't do us much good.

Instead, given that me and my buddy have grown up with D&D, video games, and assorted literature, I've been tossing an idea around in my head for a while now, which I can best sum up as this:

The Quest for Marriage: an adventure for mid-level characters in the reality campaign setting.

See, we've been going on adventures our whole lives within these games, so I figure it'd be pretty cool to give him a chance to go on a "real" adventure for a change, (before he embarks on one of life's biggest, that is), and it's something that I think he'd really get a kick out of.

I've already arranged to rent a cabin from some family friends in the Bend, Oregon area and I'd love to send him off across our lovely pacific northwest environs to take on a series of challenges and adventures that will help him prepare for married life.

What I'm asking from you guys is the opportunity to pick your brains a little, and see if we can come up with a list of suggestions and ideas for "encounters" so to speak. These can be puzzles, riddles, or physical challenges, but all with an emphasis on skills that will aid him in being a good husband to his new wife.

So if anybody's got any suggestions, then let me hear 'em: I'm hoping that we can accumulate enough ideas to get a good "campaign" planned out, and if all goes well, I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Thanks a lot, folks.

Scarlet Knight
2013-04-14, 01:52 PM
What do you think is involved with being a good husband?

Basically love your wife, with emphasis of providing for your family & fidelity.

Hmmm, ok, send him off on a quest to gather ingredients (with only silver & copper pieces) to cook dinner.

But we need monsters... a succubus (stripper) will be there in the cabin upon his return to distract him. He loses if he burns dinner.

Unless he plays NE then he can seduce the stripper & get her to cook for him.

Guildenstern
2013-04-14, 02:09 PM
Perhaps I should clarify:

I'm looking to replicate the epic adventure feel of a D&D campaign in the real world. Example: we give him a GPS and some coordinates that will lead him to a point where he'll undergo a challenge (target shooting to prove he can defend his family, obstacle course w/ the groomsmen to demonstrate he has friends to keep him on the right track, etc.). Basically imagine for a moment that we're sending him on a Baggins-esque adventure before and in preparation for his impending nuptials.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-14, 02:10 PM
You guys should play some epic games of Munchkin.

Astral Avenger
2013-04-14, 02:12 PM
have a few people show up dressed as giant spiders?
I'm kind of drawing a blank, thats all I got, just make sure that you have a first aid kit cleric there just in case.

Guildenstern
2013-04-14, 03:06 PM
Stuff like Munchkin is definitely in the running for later in the day, when we're just grilling up some steak and breaking open some scotch.

I'll, uh, I'll run the spider thing past folks. If anybody happens to have such a thing on hand then I'd probably be pretty concerned, actually.

And the groom's brother is a registered nurse so we've got plenty of heals on hand. Hopefully they won't be needed, as I'd rather not have to explain to the bride why her fiance is missing an arm, but y'know. Frodo didn't walk away without a few scratches after all.

Slylizard
2013-04-15, 01:07 AM
Ok, few quick ideas for obstacles that any husband/father will need to be able to achieve:

1. The ability to pack a car. Have a car, have a massive pile of crap, demand that he pack it all in ASAP and be able to fit himself and 1-2 people in afterwards.

2. Cleaning up. Take him to an area filled pizza boxes, empty bottles of booze (and if possible a couple of piles of puke... fake or real). He needs to clean up after his boy's night before the missus gets home.

3. The gauntlet of insults. Any real husband needs to be able to take a wifes nagging. Sit him in a circles of people and take turns throwing taunts at him "What you can't get it up again?!", "I told you three times to take out the garbage!" etc... he needs to respond in a set time period with an excuse/apology or fail (some sort of "take a drink" tax for each failure).

4. Does my bum look fat in this? He needs to be able to deal with curly questions a wife throws at him with lightning speed. Get all your mates together and put on women's clothing. Take turns asking him ridiculous questions "does my bum look fat in this?", "Do these shoes go with my dress?", etc. Again, tax him for failing.

5. The kid carry. Kids hate walking, and he'll be expected to carry a kid and a pile of other things at once. Set up a really simple obstacle course (some over/unders, side-stepping through poles, balance beam, etc) and have him carry a toy baby, nappy-bag, some grocery shopping, whatever else. He needs to complete the course as fast as possible without killing the kid or causing it massive brain damage.

6. The finances. Leave this one til last and he is appropriately not sober. We all know women can't manage money. Give him a fake income and list of bills (credit card covered with charges for shoes, electricity, food, rent, nappies, etc) and have him ensure he can afford to survive the month. For bonus points get him to determine how many RPG books/dice he can buy with the leftover funds (if any). To add difficulty consistently interrupt him with nagging 'aren't you finished yet?', 'darling can I buy this pair of shoes, they're sooo pretty, and only $150!!'.

All I got for now.

[Edit: added an extra one]

Guildenstern
2013-04-16, 02:12 AM
Hah, alright, I like finances, clean-up, and packing. And the rest are actually pretty amusing.

Though I now kinda fear for reprisal from any female readers viewing this thread.

dehro
2013-04-16, 02:19 AM
I'm thinking this should include softair somewhere in the process.

Guildenstern
2013-04-16, 05:19 AM
I'm thinking this should include softair somewhere in the process.

Most of us are more paintball guys (but let's not get into that old argument) and have sold most of our stuff by now.

Before any kind of imbibing begins, we do have a halfway decent stockpile of real firearms, so I'll probably try to work in some kind of marksmanship challenge.

Karoht
2013-04-16, 01:50 PM
Some very cool plans. I may have to crib them for another party.

BWR
2013-04-16, 05:30 PM
Off topic: we actually did this for a friend of mine.
We found a good location (an island in the fjord with ruins of a mediaeval monastery), made or rented costumes, borrowed a ****-load of swords from friends, made 'magic potions' (Aftershock and similarly vile alcoholic beverages), got a few extras to help us (being minor random encounters and a squire), then made a minor 'quest to save the princess' adventure on the island, where he had to fight the black knight, best a wizard in a game of wits, and best the evil cleric, before rescuing the princess from the tower. The princess was the least feminine of us dressed up in a slutty dress, a long blond wig and the most garish pink-orange lipstick we could find.
Then the princes was 'wedded' to his princess by the defeated evil-turned-good cleric.
Making sure he was really hungover from the night before, of course.

On topic, can't really add anything. Except maybe a cooking test (especially if he's a lousy cook already)

Lorsa
2013-04-16, 06:09 PM
Very interesting! I was thinking of having a live-roleplaying scenario for my best friend's bachelors party. It got far too complicated to arrange, and needed more people than was availible (and not all friends were into roleplaying anyway). Still I definitely appreciate the non-stripper+heavy-booze route. I will think about this and see if I can offer any suggestions.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-16, 08:14 PM
You guys should play some epic games of Munchkin.

Come to think of it, a 15 card expansion for Munchkin based on bachelor parties would be AWESOME!!!:smallwink::smalltongue:

Guildenstern
2013-04-16, 10:19 PM
Off topic: we actually did this for a friend of mine.
We found a good location (an island in the fjord with ruins of a mediaeval monastery), made or rented costumes, borrowed a ****-load of swords from friends, made 'magic potions' (Aftershock and similarly vile alcoholic beverages), got a few extras to help us (being minor random encounters and a squire), then made a minor 'quest to save the princess' adventure on the island, where he had to fight the black knight, best a wizard in a game of wits, and best the evil cleric, before rescuing the princess from the tower. The princess was the least feminine of us dressed up in a slutty dress, a long blond wig and the most garish pink-orange lipstick we could find.
Then the princes was 'wedded' to his princess by the defeated evil-turned-good cleric.
Making sure he was really hungover from the night before, of course.

On topic, can't really add anything. Except maybe a cooking test (especially if he's a lousy cook already)

An island with a castle on it?

You win. All the things.

Very interesting! I was thinking of having a live-roleplaying scenario for my best friend's bachelors party. It got far too complicated to arrange, and needed more people than was availible (and not all friends were into roleplaying anyway). Still I definitely appreciate the non-stripper+heavy-booze route.

Yeah, we're not really LARPers, and we wouldn't have the equipment on hand anyway. Just thought something like this would be cool and like you said, booze and strippers aren't really our thing: such is the life when you get about a dozen life-long church goers to plan a bachelor party.

Come to think of it, a 15 card expansion for Munchkin based on bachelor parties would be AWESOME!!!:smallwink::smalltongue:

How has that not happened already?

BWR
2013-04-16, 10:53 PM
A small monastery, not a castle, or even a fort. And apart from the semi-ruined tower which is maybe 4 meters high, all that's left are some knee-high walls.

Edit: here's (http://www.oslosurf.com/innhold/00000002.shtml) the place

Guildenstern
2013-04-16, 10:56 PM
A small monastery, not a castle, or even a fort. And apart from the semi-ruined tower which is maybe 4 meters high, all that's left are some knee-high walls.

Edit: here's (http://www.oslosurf.com/innhold/00000002.shtml) the place

Still gonna call that a win.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-16, 11:19 PM
How has that not happened already?

Give them time. Considering all the expansions and stand alone games, it's only a matter of time. Munchkin is practically rule 34 but with cards: if it exists, there's a Munchkin version of it.:smallwink:

Guildenstern
2013-04-16, 11:25 PM
Munchkin is practically rule 34 but with cards: if it exists, there's a Munchkin version of it.:smallwink:

Well, that's a horrifying way of putting it.

Dr.Epic
2013-04-16, 11:29 PM
Well, that's a horrifying way of putting it.

They seriously need to make an Adventure Time stand alone game. They're doing it for Pathfinder. I will not die happy until I've played Munchkin Adventure Time.

And then eventually Munchkin Game of Thrones.:smallwink:

dehro
2013-04-17, 02:09 AM
Still gonna call that a win.

a win it is indeed.. it reminds me painfully of the fact that in the family (sort off.. it's the dad of 2 of my brothers) we actually own a rather dilapidated but still very impressive medieval abbey somewhere in Tuscany that is just standing there collecting debts.. when it could be used for larping, movie making and all sorts of "in period" fun.. makes me angry to think about it :smallfurious:

Guildenstern
2013-04-17, 05:29 AM
a win it is indeed.. it reminds me painfully of the fact that in the family (sort off.. it's the dad of 2 of my brothers) we actually own a rather dilapidated but still very impressive medieval abbey somewhere in Tuscany that is just standing there collecting debts.. when it could be used for larping, movie making and all sorts of "in period" fun.. makes me angry to think about it :smallfurious:

... damn, man. I mean, apart from the fact that that's all kinds of awesome as-is, you touch that thing up some and register it with a travel agency as a rental property and you've got potential for some serious bank. Tuscan real estate is crazy valuable what with all the building restrictions.

dehro
2013-04-17, 05:51 AM
... damn, man. I mean, apart from the fact that that's all kinds of awesome as-is, you touch that thing up some and register it with a travel agency as a rental property and you've got potential for some serious bank. Tuscan real estate is crazy valuable what with all the building restrictions.
sadly no.. there are all sorts of issues..
the moron (that is, my brother and sister's dad), is full of debts (mainly taxes) and his business sense has left him when he turned fifty..some 20+ years ago

the whole thing is in shambles but, given the sheer size of it, to get it up to a level where you can actually get permits for running a hotel or any other venue open to the public, would require several million euros worth of investment..the private road to get there is actually only suited for donkeys and has claimed several parts of my little brother and sister's cars already.

you could of course start talking about history-themed tours and such.. in which case, there's the ministry of .. not sure there's an equivalent in english..anyway, it's a ministry that gets involved into the management of items of historic, archaeologic and artistic value..cultural heritage and somesuch..despite the property being privately owned.
their approach is usually "everybody freeze, don't touch a thing.. we'll set up a committee and let you know where to go from here.. in 10 years time.. and with your own money"
anyway, this is the place:
italian wikipedia entry (http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbazia_di_San_Cassiano_(Montescalari))
the car in the picture is of the aforementioned moron and I remember getting stuck in it's trunk, whilst playing hide-and-seek as a kid, some 25-26 years ago.
someone's blog in english (http://www.tuscanyblog.net/2012/01/abbey-on-mountain-peak.html)
incidentally, I do seem to remember it is also on one of the historic pilgrimage routes..
sadly the place will stay as is, and slowly fall to pieces until the current owner kicks the bucket and my brother and sister can convince their other half sister (on his side) to sell the damn thing off to some magnate with the resources to put this place on the map the way it deserves

I'll stop derailing the thread though.

Morph Bark
2013-04-21, 01:07 PM
One of the wedding presents better be a sword, gosh darnit!

Guildenstern
2013-04-21, 11:14 PM
One of the wedding presents better be a sword, gosh darnit!

I've actually thought about that. Since not everybody is able to make it to the bachelor party and thus it wouldn't be fair to make them pay for the lodging, we're thinking about having them go in on a "quest reward" together. As everybody knows the best quest rewards consist of gear-based loot, we wanna get him a replica of Anduril, which his wife may or may not let him display prominently around the house.

Socratov
2013-04-22, 09:35 AM
Ok, here goes, before me someone posted an interesting challenge, but allow me to approach this form a fantasy viewpoint:

The gauntlet.

Whgat is the gauntlet I hear you say?

Well, the gauntlet is a series of tests and trials for the hero to overcome so he can win a boon/prize (in this case marriage with his wife). I see you have access to paintball so I will take that into consideration. The Gauntlet is usually made up form tests for intellect (riddle), insight (puzzle), stamina (run/time based something), strength (defeat a big monster/over come strength challenge) and marksmanship.

So, how do we do this? First: gather a couple of friends. You plus one for each challenge is enough. the first friend won't let the husband to be pass if the riddle is not solved. (granting 1 of 4 paintball gun parts). The second friend initiates the golden triangle: 3 beers in a triangle and one on top of it (glasses that is). the friend and the groom to be will face each other off drinking (stamina being constitution with drinks). If he finishes first he gets the next part for the gun. if he loses he will need to run 3 rounds around the block or something. The third friend will armwrestle the groom for another part of the gun. if the groom loses, he will need to push up 50 times (in total, can be broken up in smaller sets). The fourth will give the groom a matrix equation (5 by 5) to solve, success gives the last part of the gun (or the ammo). You, as the best man, will challenge the groom for a duel for his wife. You each walk 15 steps, turn, and shoot. He will need to hit you to be albe to claim his wife (retries possible). By then he has passed the Gauntlet and will be able to claim his wife on his weddingday.

fantasy/dnd/hero themed? check. Marriage themed? check. Woudl I want this on my bachelorparty(if I ever have one)? Oh yeah!

At the end the groom will probably be starving and thirsty so the grilling and scotch will be great for him.

The Succubus
2013-04-22, 09:51 AM
If you're looking for inspiration, play Skyrim and accept a quest from a guy called "Sam Guinn" in any bar in a major city...:smallwink:

Ooo, oo! Just thought of something else - watch "The Princess Bride" for more ideas! :smallbiggrin:

Guildenstern
2013-04-22, 04:51 PM
The gauntlet.

[...]

First: gather a couple of friends. You plus one for each challenge is enough. the first friend won't let the husband to be pass if the riddle is not solved. (granting 1 of 4 paintball gun parts). The second friend initiates the golden triangle: 3 beers in a triangle and one on top of it (glasses that is). the friend and the groom to be will face each other off drinking (stamina being constitution with drinks). If he finishes first he gets the next part for the gun. if he loses he will need to run 3 rounds around the block or something. The third friend will armwrestle the groom for another part of the gun. if the groom loses, he will need to push up 50 times (in total, can be broken up in smaller sets). The fourth will give the groom a matrix equation (5 by 5) to solve, success gives the last part of the gun (or the ammo). You, as the best man, will challenge the groom for a duel for his wife. You each walk 15 steps, turn, and shoot. He will need to hit you to be albe to claim his wife (retries possible). By then he has passed the Gauntlet and will be able to claim his wife on his weddingday.

fantasy/dnd/hero themed? check. Marriage themed? check. Woudl I want this on my bachelorparty(if I ever have one)? Oh yeah!

At the end the groom will probably be starving and thirsty so the grilling and scotch will be great for him.

Okay, I dig this. I'll add a few challenges here and there as my current idea is to have him expand his Fellowship as he goes and there's eight of us combined, not including the groom. (9 companions... how 'bout that?) But yeah, good.

If you're looking for inspiration, play Skyrim and accept a quest from a guy called "Sam Guinn" in any bar in a major city...:smallwink:

Good plan. Not sure where I'm gonna find a goat, though...

Socratov
2013-05-17, 03:03 AM
So... what's the status on the Marriage gauntlet? Is the groom still alive?

Guildenstern
2013-05-17, 01:41 PM
So... what's the status on the Marriage gauntlet? Is the groom still alive?

Hah, yeah, he's still breathing. Showtime is one week from today, and I've got just about everything all organized now. For those interested, the quest begins next Saturday mid-morning and will consist of the following:

The Challenge of Strength: Surprisingly enough, entry level physical requirements for the USMC are actually fairly easy: 2 pullups, 35 crunches, and a sub-13 minute 1-mile. Our buddy isn't the most athletic dude around, but he should be able to manage this with a bit of sweat.

The Challenge of Dexterity: As a firearms enthusiast, this seemed the best bet for dex, as it contributes to ranged attack rolls. I ordered a set 12 zombie-themed silhouette targets, and we'll set 4 of them up at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Behind the 100 yd target I've got a jar of Tannerite that should provide a sufficiently large boom (and a pretty big surprise for him). My Mosin might have a bit of trouble reaching out that far with consistent accuracy but I've got enough ammo to make do, and we'll have enough targets left over for the rest of us to do some plinking with whatever else we have along.

The Challenge of Constitution: Mt. Hood, Oregon, where we'll be staying (had to relocate from Bend as the drive was too far for some guests) has no shortage of pretty cool hikes. With a moderate length and elevation gain, you need to have some level of endurance to stick with it, and it'll provide some good 'ol male bonding time for all of us (along with the obligatory "traveling Fellowship" scene).

The Challenge of Intelligence: There's a series of video games called "You Don't Know Jack" that operate like a trivia game show. One or two episodes of that against three other guests should do the job, and the little I've played of it so far makes me think we can have quite a bit of fun with it the rest of the time we're there, too.

The Challenge of Wisdom: For a good long while I couldn't think of anything beyond "riddles" and that was kinda lame. So instead I turned biblical: the Apostle Paul wrote that when he was a child he acted as a child, but when he became a man he put childish things behind him. This is one of the more commonly-quoted passages when discussing maturation in the Christian faith, and I wanted to emulate that symbolically. Nearly all of these hikes end at either a waterfall, lake, or overlook. I'll have a small rock on hand with the groom's name written on it, along with the word "Bachelor". He'll then chuck it off/into whatever we're standing by at the end there. Apart from being a close parallel to the destruction of the One Ring, it's also a means of symbolizing that he's leaving parts of his old life behind to go on and take on the role of husband and someday father, grandfather, etc.

The Challenge of Charisma: This is another one I stewed on for a while. Ultimately I decided that since he's the one getting married, not us, he's pretty much kicked our collective butts in the charisma department already and more or less give him a pass. That said, some mild ribbing is always needed at these things so making him do the entire gauntlet while wearing a tuxedo t-shirt seemed fitting.

Obviously we'll mix these up a little bit to create the best arc, probably going cha > str > int > dex > con > wis, before heading back for the day and concluding with cigars and a bottle of 10-year-old scotch I picked up for the occasion. The whole thing should take us a few hours and hopefully be a memorable send-off.

In any event, I'd like to extend a thank-you to everybody on here for dishing out ideas, as I never would have gotten the ball rolling on all this on my own. I'll be sure to post back here again and let you know how it turns out. I'm toying with hauling a camera around for the whole thing and mashing it all together into a kind of mock trailer kind of thing, we'll see.

Karoht
2013-05-17, 02:08 PM
It appears to be lacking one little thing.
A Reflex Save
A Fort Save
and a Will save.

Of course, these could just be drink names when you get to the bar.

EDIT:

Reflex Save
Flaming Zambuka?
Muff Dive?
Flaming Zambuka followed by a Muff Dive! With a time limit of 20 seconds!

Fort Save
1 shot burbon
followed by
1 shot scotch
followed by
1 shotgunned beer. Or start with the beer and use the two shots as chasers.

Will Save
Prarie Fire
followed by
another Prarie Fire
The will save is to make the second shot, knowing how much the first burned.

Maybe involve a D20 in there somewheres.

SaintRidley
2013-05-17, 02:23 PM
You need to involve laser tag somehow. That's the best suggestion I can make - laser tag. Or, given the outdoor environment, paintball. Which will substitute for laser tag nicely.

Guildenstern
2013-05-17, 09:57 PM
I've checked the area and it seems to be somewhat devoid of laser tag. Most of us played a lot of paintball back in the day but the upkeep became too expensive and we lost our old place to play so we sold most of our gear and pretty much hung up the camo/jerseys.

Mind you, I replaced it with actual firearms, so clearly I didn't actually save any money at all (especially with the rampant price-gouging going on these days). But I'll take my 91/30 over my old Tippmann 98c any day.

Socratov
2013-05-18, 06:07 AM
Hah, yeah, he's still breathing. Showtime is one week from today, and I've got just about everything all organized now. For those interested, the quest begins next Saturday mid-morning and will consist of the following:

The Challenge of Strength: Surprisingly enough, entry level physical requirements for the USMC are actually fairly easy: 2 pullups, 35 crunches, and a sub-13 minute 1-mile. Our buddy isn't the most athletic dude around, but he should be able to manage this with a bit of sweat.

The Challenge of Dexterity: As a firearms enthusiast, this seemed the best bet for dex, as it contributes to ranged attack rolls. I ordered a set 12 zombie-themed silhouette targets, and we'll set 4 of them up at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Behind the 100 yd target I've got a jar of Tannerite that should provide a sufficiently large boom (and a pretty big surprise for him). My Mosin might have a bit of trouble reaching out that far with consistent accuracy but I've got enough ammo to make do, and we'll have enough targets left over for the rest of us to do some plinking with whatever else we have along.

The Challenge of Constitution: Mt. Hood, Oregon, where we'll be staying (had to relocate from Bend as the drive was too far for some guests) has no shortage of pretty cool hikes. With a moderate length and elevation gain, you need to have some level of endurance to stick with it, and it'll provide some good 'ol male bonding time for all of us (along with the obligatory "traveling Fellowship" scene).

The Challenge of Intelligence: There's a series of video games called "You Don't Know Jack" that operate like a trivia game show. One or two episodes of that against three other guests should do the job, and the little I've played of it so far makes me think we can have quite a bit of fun with it the rest of the time we're there, too.

The Challenge of Wisdom: For a good long while I couldn't think of anything beyond "riddles" and that was kinda lame. So instead I turned biblical: the Apostle Paul wrote that when he was a child he acted as a child, but when he became a man he put childish things behind him. This is one of the more commonly-quoted passages when discussing maturation in the Christian faith, and I wanted to emulate that symbolically. Nearly all of these hikes end at either a waterfall, lake, or overlook. I'll have a small rock on hand with the groom's name written on it, along with the word "Bachelor". He'll then chuck it off/into whatever we're standing by at the end there. Apart from being a close parallel to the destruction of the One Ring, it's also a means of symbolizing that he's leaving parts of his old life behind to go on and take on the role of husband and someday father, grandfather, etc.

The Challenge of Charisma: This is another one I stewed on for a while. Ultimately I decided that since he's the one getting married, not us, he's pretty much kicked our collective butts in the charisma department already and more or less give him a pass. That said, some mild ribbing is always needed at these things so making him do the entire gauntlet while wearing a tuxedo t-shirt seemed fitting.

Obviously we'll mix these up a little bit to create the best arc, probably going cha > str > int > dex > con > wis, before heading back for the day and concluding with cigars and a bottle of 10-year-old scotch I picked up for the occasion. The whole thing should take us a few hours and hopefully be a memorable send-off.
Sounds wel put. I think he will remember it even should he turn to dementia :smallwink:

In any event, I'd like to extend a thank-you to everybody on here for dishing out ideas, as I never would have gotten the ball rolling on all this on my own. I'll be sure to post back here again and let you know how it turns out. I'm toying with hauling a camera around for the whole thing and mashing it all together into a kind of mock trailer kind of thing, we'll see.
Do eeeeeeeet! Seriously, do the trailer, put it on youtube for the world to see. More soon to be married guys will wnat this and inspire his friends for his stag night :smallcool:

make sure the bride's friends do somethig similar for the hen night (filming that is) so you can create a hell of a wedding vid :smallbiggrin:

Rolling Thunder
2013-05-26, 12:11 PM
Those are some very impressice and creative challenges! The only bachelor (farewell) party I've been to so far consisted mostly of booze and the groom having to collect girl's telefon numbers for the "less fortunate" groomsmen before ending in a stripclub. While you truly create something memorable.

I wish the best to the soon-to-be-married and hope you give us a nice recap when you're sobered up enough!

Guildenstern
2013-05-31, 03:00 PM
Hey guys, just popping back in to let you know how it all went.

All in all, I think things went pretty well. Some things worked better than others and I should have organized my delivery a little better; If I had the time, I would have tried to place clues to the next event at the end of the previous one so the whole thing flowed like a kind of scavenger hunt, but that was time I didn't have. We spent a little bit too much time on the firing range (and we *still* didn't manage to get the tannerite to blow up: inexperienced shooters at long ranges produced what were probably predictable results) so we had to skip the hike if we wanted to eat at a reasonable time.

Ultimately I think the greatest takeaway wasn't necessarily this big adventure thing but just the "guys hanging out" aspect. Log cabin, lots of steak, fire pit, scotch, and cigars. For those of you thinking about planning a bachelor party in this same vein, then by all means, go for it: but remember that simply hanging out with your buds and enjoying some time with the groom in his last days as a single dude is the most important part.

Thanks again for all the tips, guys.

Karoht
2013-05-31, 03:30 PM
I hope my wedding in october nets me a party even HALF as cool as this.

Socratov
2013-06-03, 10:53 AM
I hope my wedding in october nets me a party even HALF as cool as this.

simple: use links to 'hint' your best man to do this...

Karoht
2013-06-03, 12:00 PM
simple: use links to 'hint' your best man to do this...
The people I run with?
They're very boring most of the time. And as far as organization, they tend not to be very good at organizing anything. Breakfast, movie, icecream afterwards was too complicated for them.

Chances are I'm going to have to throw my own party. And surprise all of them. Take them for an adventure. Or something.

Socratov
2013-06-10, 03:47 AM
The people I run with?
They're very boring most of the time. And as far as organization, they tend not to be very good at organizing anything. Breakfast, movie, icecream afterwards was too complicated for them.

Chances are I'm going to have to throw my own party. And surprise all of them. Take them for an adventure. Or something.

Ah, yeah I have such friends as well (where organizing anyting is nothing short of a herculean task). However, if you throw your own party you can at least do something you really like :smallwink: even though it's highly unorthodox :smallconfused:

Karoht
2013-06-10, 10:01 AM
My party thus far is a multi-stage quest.
Part 1: Laser Quest. Laser Tag place here in town, with an appropriate name.
Part 2: The Node. It's a gaming center (computers, internet, etc), and we shall play some games, I will give the group a series of challenges to perform. I won a few prize packs from these guys not long ago, the owner owes me a favor and never says no to a good party, so yeah.
Part 3: The Casino. The challenge here is not to win or lose. Basically, I'm going to sit them all down at penny slot machines. They will be given a card each. The challenge is that they have to go through a set number of transactions the fastest. IE-Swipe card, set up for full lines, hit go, repeat. Challenge of who can get into a groove and repeat the task the fastest.
Part 4: The Pub. It is no doubt that they will likely win something goofing off with the machines at the Casino. Any such winnings, we have to drink away. Four people have to drink away a minimum of 100 bucks (I'll toss in that money myself if we don't win anything on the machines, and if we somehow win much much more, we have to buy rounds for the whole bar), but there is a catch. Or rather, I am need of an idea for a catch here. 100 bucks split by 4-5 people isn't terrifically difficult to go through. And chances are we will buy the bar a minimum of one round, so you're looking at closer to $60 by the end of it. I need an actual challenge here.
Also, while the stag party is just for us 4-5 guys, the final stop is for anyone who wants to show up.
Part 5: Get to da choppa!
I'm not joking. While in a drunken stuppor, we have to run up the road, through a park, to get to our evac. I have a friend in the military, who will show up and direct us to evac. I may be able to call in a favor, and have our evac (our designated driver ride home) actually be a military vehicle, but probably not.

Yeah, that's where I'm at thus far. Thoughts?

Socratov
2013-06-12, 02:51 AM
My party thus far is a multi-stage quest.
Part 1: Laser Quest. Laser Tag place here in town, with an appropriate name.
Part 2: The Node. It's a gaming center (computers, internet, etc), and we shall play some games, I will give the group a series of challenges to perform. I won a few prize packs from these guys not long ago, the owner owes me a favor and never says no to a good party, so yeah.
Part 3: The Casino. The challenge here is not to win or lose. Basically, I'm going to sit them all down at penny slot machines. They will be given a card each. The challenge is that they have to go through a set number of transactions the fastest. IE-Swipe card, set up for full lines, hit go, repeat. Challenge of who can get into a groove and repeat the task the fastest.
Part 4: The Pub. It is no doubt that they will likely win something goofing off with the machines at the Casino. Any such winnings, we have to drink away. Four people have to drink away a minimum of 100 bucks (I'll toss in that money myself if we don't win anything on the machines, and if we somehow win much much more, we have to buy rounds for the whole bar), but there is a catch. Or rather, I am need of an idea for a catch here. 100 bucks split by 4-5 people isn't terrifically difficult to go through. And chances are we will buy the bar a minimum of one round, so you're looking at closer to $60 by the end of it. I need an actual challenge here.
Also, while the stag party is just for us 4-5 guys, the final stop is for anyone who wants to show up.barcrawl. The groom lies on his belly on the bar and needs to chug 4 beer and a chaser. Tip: keep a puke bucket at the ready.

Part 5: Get to da choppa!
I'm not joking. While in a drunken stuppor, we have to run up the road, through a park, to get to our evac. I have a friend in the military, who will show up and direct us to evac. I may be able to call in a favor, and have our evac (our designated driver ride home) actually be a military vehicle, but probably not.

Yeah, that's where I'm at thus far. Thoughts?

that last one is awesome! Really awesome!

Roy Greenhilt
2013-10-22, 12:57 AM
hello, There's nothing tough about planning a good bachelor party. It just takes a little organization , a bit of luck and one really excellent idea. Here are 9 that can't miss.

1) Eat Meat : Take a trip to the most decadent steakhouse in town, and eat like kings. Order a bottle (or ten) of the best red wine in the house.

2) Buy the Boat :Or just rent it for a night. Look into chartering a yacht for an evening for the groom and his guys. Bring a few bottles of first-rate champagne and celebrate on style in the high seas.

3) Studs: If the groom and groomsmen can't swing the trip to Vegas, bring Sin City to them: Host a poker night extraordinaire. Stock the bar, order gourmet pizza, and pitch in the kitty for the groom.

4) Beach Bums: Water, sand, beach volleyball, and a little harmless bikini watching. Need we say more? Top it off with bonfire and brews, and you’re set for some California dreamin’.

5) Puff Daddy: Take Mr. Last-Night-of-Being-a-Bachelor out for some primo cigars. Head toward your favorite cigar bar and puff away, while quaffing single-malt Scotch.

6) Swingers: Sometimes, nothing beats a classic. We're talking golf here. Eighteen holes of sun, fun, and an extra cart for the keg of beer. If you can rally the troops, go for a three-round weekend retreat. We suggest Palm Springs, California, home of PGA West, Desert Dunes, and Bob Hope. Swing by morning, swim by afternoon, barbecue by night.

7) You're Tripping: Road tripping, we mean. Grabbing a few good buddies and setting off for destinations unknown is a huge part of the appeal of a road trip. Drive as far as one tank of gas will get you. In the immortal words of Jonathan Richman: “I got my jeans and things and I am ready to go.”

8) The Ponies: Ascot it isn't, but horse racing can be a load of fun. Just imagine: a pack of two-year-olds thundering down the track, the roar of the crowd, and the lure of the daily double. Buy a racing form, order a mint julep, and ask the advice of some of the old-timers hanging around the track.

9) Rave On: Ever dream of hosting a wild, all-night party at an exclusive dance club? Get in touch with the management of the hottest nightclub in town and ask about renting one of their VIP rooms for the evening. This could get expensive, especially if you have an open bar, so make sure all the party-goers are prepared to open their wallets (and maybe even their 401(k) accounts)!

I think you should check this amazing post on http://thetshirtman.co.uk/shop/interesting-stag-party-game-ideas/ . Enjoy..! All the very best.