PDA

View Full Version : How does spirit shaman treat sandshaper?

CyberThread
2013-04-14, 06:15 PM
So say somehow spirit shaman got into sandshaper, shamans are a duality in the rules, they pick spells, but they are also spontaneous casters.

Do they auto gain all the spells, or do they just get it added to their spell list?

Keneth
2013-04-14, 06:40 PM
With respect if he expects to live.

Oh, that's not what you meant. I don't see what the problem is, you can choose any of the new spells like you would those from a druid's spell list.

CyberThread
2013-04-14, 06:45 PM
spontaneous casters, auto learn all the spells

spirit shaman is still a spontaneous caster

nedz
2013-04-14, 07:17 PM
spirit shaman is still a spontaneous caster

No it's not. It has it's own special mechanic.

Basically Sandshaper would add it's spells to the spells available for the Spirit Shamen to choose to retrieve from, which is just how it works if the Spirit Shamen acquired an extra domain.

Grim Reader
2013-04-14, 07:23 PM
Does a Spirit Shaman at any point have "spells known"? Or just "Spells retrived"? I am away from books, but as far as I remember, Sand Shaper specifically adds spells to a spontaneous casters "spells known".

You can qualify for Sand Shaper without spellcasting, through invocations etc. (thats a trick for Favored Souls) In which case you do not gain any spells, as you do not have any list of spells known to add them to.

Unless Spirit Shamans have a spells known feature, I fear this may be the case for them too.

CyberThread
2013-04-14, 07:34 PM
retrived but treated as sorcs

nedz
2013-04-14, 07:54 PM
retrived but treated as sorcs

No it isn't.

A Sorcerer, being a spontaneous caster, can apply metamagic on the fly. A spirit shaman, being a prepared caster, must apply metamagic when retrieving the spell.

Also Spirit Shaman do not have spells known.

CyberThread
2013-04-14, 08:00 PM
A spirit shaman cannot choose to alter her
spells with metamagic feats on the fly, as other spontaneous
casters do.

It is constantly compared to the sorcerer, and even compared against other spontaneous casters in both that it does not need to spend extra time casting, and that metamagic is needed to be declared when you get your spell not when you cast it.

Therefore by these associations, it is treated as a spontaneous caster with a unique spell acquiring system. Not a prepared caster, with a unique spell casting system.

Karnith
2013-04-14, 10:23 PM
Also Spirit Shaman do not have spells known.
Are you sure? Per the Spirit Shaman entry in Complete Divine:

Like a sorcerer, a spirit shaman knows only a small number of spells. However, each day a spirit shaman may change the spells she knows. When a spirit shaman meditates to regain her daily allotment of spells [...] she sends forth her spirit guide to bargain with the spirits and retrieve knowledge of the specific druid spells she will be able to use that day.
It may just be poor wording, but the Spirit Shaman entry does say that they know the spells that they retrieve; they just change their spells known when they retrieve their spells.

CyberThread
2013-04-15, 01:04 AM
wording is everything in WOTC