PDA

View Full Version : Fochlucan lyrist build help

Zero grim
2013-04-14, 07:33 PM
Hi I'm trying to build a character that can get into Fochlucan lyrist going through Ur Priest and sublime cord, currently I think its do able with the following levels, human race Int assumed 10+

Rogue 2/Savage bard 7/Ur Preist 1/Sublime Cord 1/Fochlucan lyrist 9

my questions are the following.

Is there a way to get the Druidic language without being a druid?
(current solution, spend the first 11 levels searching for a blighter to teach me and then deal with the angry druids later)

Is there any obvious ways I can clean up the build, perhaps strip out a few levels of bard somehow without taking another arcane class?

Urpriest
2013-04-14, 11:11 PM
Officially, only Druids can know Druidic, period. That said, most people think it doesn't make much sense that a language can only be taught to people from a particular class, so it gets houseruled, and in that sort of environment basically your only choice is finding an ex-Druid to teach you, tricking a Druid into thinking you're a Druid so they teach you (easier with a Bard, since you have Glibness), or grabbing it through a language-gaining ability like Loremaster.

You could drop the Rogue levels, since you can get Evasion from the Impulse Boots Soulmeld and the relevant Chakra bind for Feet. Then something like

Savage Bard 5/Ur-priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3/Sublime Chord 1/Fochluchan Lyrist 9

would work, provided you can get the skills (which admittedly may require higher Int).

hoverfrog
2013-04-15, 07:43 AM
You're going to have to ask your DM if there is any way to learn druidic without becoming a druid. Rules as Intended are for the Fochlucan lyrist to be linked with the druid class. You can get round that with RAW by finding a teacher but the DM might not permit it.

You could try taking the Apprentice feat (DMII) and taking two class skills from Druid and then applying the two bonus skill points to Speak Language. It's a stretch but a DM might allow it.

There is a feat, Master Linguist, from Races of Eberron that allows you to gain a new language at each level that you advance to. It doesn't say that you can't choose druidic and it doesn't detail the requirement for a tutor. I think you can assume that you are interested in languages of all kinds and pick up parts of each over time. When you advance you've picked up enough of the language to be considered a competent speaker of it.

If I were DM I'd allow you to choose druidic only if you had an extensive back story explaining how you could have learned it. Maybe you spend years as an apprentice to a druid but dropped out before taking your vows or maybe your parents were both druids and taught you the secret language on the assumption that you'd follow in their footsteps. DMs like that kind of thing as it gives us an excuse to bend the rules a little.