PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcaster Help

Callos_DeTerran
2013-04-14, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has actively used them before or not, but I could use some advice for a Shadowcaster from the Tome of Magic. Now, obviously, I know it doesn't quite work as it's presented in Tome of Magic so I talked to my DM about a possible fix for it. The fix we're using is that the Shadowcaster's mysteries are 'per battle' instead of per day. Don't know if it'll work or not, but I plan to find out!

Right now I'm looking at building a 4th level human shadowcaster and I'm looking for advice on what mysteries to take. So far in the group we've got melee types out the wazoo with a cleric to a deity I don't remember (worships a lawful neutral deity though) that channels positive energy. Mostly I'm using the shadowcaster to fill in an 'arcane spellcaster' slot in the party that's not being filled. Usually this would recommend that I go for utility type mysteries but those seem to be 4th level or higher mysteries.

So here's my question...what fundamentals and mysteries make for good choices at this level? I got enough for two first level mysteries and two second level that I can use once per combat...or twice if I pick the same mystery twice.

Fundamentals I was thinking Umbral Hand (can this wield weapons to fight for me?), Arrow of Dusk, Caul of Shadows, and the Detect Magic one. The game plan is to eventually go into Master of Shadows for an incorporeal shadow elemental to help me in combat.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-04-14, 08:17 PM
Our very own Piggy Knowles made up a Shadowcaster Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268661) that should provide you with anything and everything that you require.

Piggy Knowles
2013-04-14, 08:34 PM
I'd recommend checking out the link at the top of my sig, where I go into each mystery on a case by case basis, as well as some general build advice for shadowcasters.

In any case, here are my thoughts:

1. Fundamentals

Eventually you're going to have pretty much all of these, so don't stress out about the choice too much. Umbral Hand can't as written wield weapons, but it's still pretty handy, especially if you go into the Night's Long Fingers path. In my opinion it's the single best fundamental, but it doesn't necessarily need to be taken at the early levels. Arrow of Dusk is honestly pretty handy, and is better than plinking away with a crossbow. Mystic Reflections is always useful. I really like Black Candle, also. Light on command is always handy, and the dark option is an easy way to nab concealment and a 20% miss chance.

I would NOT take Caul of Shadow just yet. It eventually becomes super handy, but at level 4, it's pretty much worthless. The AC boost is so small that it won't be worth spending a round in combat to cast it, but the duration is low enough that you can't consistently keep it up. Once you get fundamentals at will, it's great, because it's basically a free +4 deflection bonus to AC that you can afford to constantly refresh. But right now, you'll probably never use it.

2. Apprentice Mysteries

OK, at level 4 you're talking about first and second level mysteries from two different paths.

The Night's Long Fingers (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a) is a pretty good path to focus on. Not only are its mysteries pretty good, they also tend to last multiple rounds, which helps alleviate the whole "once per day until level 7" problem. Trail of Haze isn't very good, unfortunately, but Quicker than the Eye and Umbral Fist are both GREAT. Also, if this is your plan, sinking a couple of cross-class ranks into Sleight of Hand is never a bad idea.

For your other path, unless you've got your eyes on a particular other power, I'd recommend either Dark Terrain or Eye of Darkness. Dark Terrain gives you two somewhat decent BFC powers, while Eye of Darkness gives you two very solid utility powers. For shadowcasters starting at low level, I'd say that Dark Terrain is probably going to be more handy, but they're both pretty good.

So, bringing that all together, you could start with a shadowcaster with the following mysteries known:

Fundamentals: Arrow of Dusk, Mystic Reflections, Umbral Hand, Black Candle
1- Carpet of Shadow, Quicker than the Eye
2- Black Fire, Trail of Haze

You'll start out most combats with one of your apprentice mysteries - Umbral Hand + Quicker than the Eye means you can spend combat picking pockets from afar, stealing spell component pouches, holy symbols, etc. Carpet of Shadow and Black Fire can help restrict your enemies so that the many melee folks in your party can beat up on them. Once that's done, you can spend combat stealing things, plinking away with Arrow of Dusk, providing minor confusion with Black Candle's darkness option, etc.

Next level pick up Umbral Fist, and enjoy bull rushing and tripping from afar, or add disarming of weapons to your long-distance thieving plan. Use it to keep the baddies prone and flanked by your allies, or combine with Black Fire for some damage. Then nab Clinging Darkness, which is really pretty excellent BFC, something that your party will need if you're the only one fulfilling the "arcane caster" role.

It's not the only option, but it's not too bad. You become a little more flexible if your DM approves the 1/encounter instead of 1/day fix, since then you just need to make sure you have at least one really solid mystery you can use each encounter.

The Random NPC
2013-04-14, 08:39 PM
The author of the class also made a fix, found here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?184955-Shadowcaster-fixes-by-Mouseferatu). As for the rest of it, sorry, can't help. I do know that you get all but 1 or 2 fundamentals if you go straight Shadowcaster, so you would just have to pick the one you don't want.

gorfnab
2013-04-14, 11:03 PM
The mysteries per encounter/battle option is a great boost. This should give you more staying power.

If you're looking for a possible prestige class option for your character I recommend for you situation Master of Shadow. The shadow element "pet" can be put to great use at higher levels. Plus it gives you something to do with your move and swift actions in combat later on since mysteries are standard actions unless otherwise noted.

Callos_DeTerran
2013-04-14, 11:25 PM
Hmm...okay, lots of good advice and I'm reading through that Shadowcaster's handbook right now as well.

Here's a question...some mysteries, like Flesh Fails have a range of touch...but don't specify that the shadowcaster needs to succeed on a touch attack in order to affect the enemy. Was this intentional or was it errata'd? Cause I'll take being in 'touch' range so long as I'm not relying on my crappy BAB save for a mystery like that.

Psyren
2013-04-14, 11:33 PM
Here's a question...some mysteries, like Flesh Fails have a range of touch...but don't specify that the shadowcaster needs to succeed on a touch attack in order to affect the enemy. Was this intentional or was it errata'd? Cause I'll take being in 'touch' range so long as I'm not relying on my crappy BAB save for a mystery like that.

You need a touch attack roll to affect an opponent with any spell or attack with "range: touch" - this is right in the PHB. To touch yourself or an ally the roll is waived.

Yeah, your BAB is low, but touch AC tends to be low as well so it evens out.

Callos_DeTerran
2013-04-15, 10:00 PM
You need a touch attack roll to affect an opponent with any spell or attack with "range: touch" - this is right in the PHB. To touch yourself or an ally the roll is waived.

Yeah, your BAB is low, but touch AC tends to be low as well so it evens out.

...How have I never noticed that rule? I guess most of the time it says it in the spell as well and I figured I'd have to anyway but Flesh Fails just seemed odd with the wording it had so I figured it was best to find out.