PDA

View Full Version : Paladin of Benevolence [3.5 Base Class PEACH]

gooddragon1
2013-04-14, 08:52 PM
Deleted content

ngilop
2013-04-14, 09:16 PM
this si 'tier' 5, (maybe even 'tier' 6?)im sorry to say. having even less abilities than the standard paladin does, liek a lot less.

give this paladin the base paladin abilties liek lay onahnds and the full paladins pell list as well as teh other paladin abilities

expand the skill points to 4 per level

to me all you did was strip the palaidn of 95% of his stuff and just re-name everything. not a good way to create a class to begin with.

steal as much as you can from the pathfidner paladin.. mercies in particular

give the paladins oem out of combat usefulness as well that is the true way to make him a 'tier' 3

Fates
2013-04-14, 09:23 PM
I like the idea of a NG paladin, but frankly, this is far worse than the original paladin class. This is because:

-It lacks Lay on Hands or any similar healing ability outside of its paltry spells.
-It gets its charisma bonus to only will saves, whereas every other incarnation of the paladin gets it to all saves.
-It lacks any special immunities/auras (IE fear, possession), outside of disease which normal paladins get anyway.
-It doesn't get turn undead, one of the Paladin's most redeeming abilties, or a mount or anything of equivalent usefulness,

The smite ability is much better than normal, but the paladin gets the more useful bit at first level. I can't see anyone taking more than one level.

ngilop
2013-04-14, 09:52 PM
for me the paladin is 'tier' 5 for a rason, pitiful skill points

smite is lackluster (1 dmg per level is bad up to 2 or make it sneak attatk like XdX/level progression)

no reason to use spells, you have a terribl caster level (half) and no way to be a melee casting master without a very specific feat (battle blessing)

no abilities that are high level ( i mean bascialyl everything the paladin gets in within the first 5 levels and they DO NOT keep to scale)

and next to no out of combat utility.

the MADness to me i a non factor really in why they are ranked so low. compared o the fact they get the shaft on abilities.

and lastly there are at least 7 prestige classes i can think of that do everything a paladin does only better and in 10 levels.

take a gander at my Paladin fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265486) and take what you want from that.

eftexar
2013-04-14, 10:14 PM
In addition to a lot of what people have said earlier:

Smite should be per encounter or at will. I never understood why the class' signature ability could only be used a couple of times per day.

I would set the caster level to 4 less than level. I know the original paladin was that limited, but half level really hurts and the spell list is kind of small anyways.

Speaking of the spell list I think it needs expanded. It's way too small.

Adding some abilities at higher level wouldn't be remiss. Maybe some enhancements to healing, an improved smite, banishment by expending smite, etc.

What you need to ask yourself is "Would I be better off playing a 10th level cleric / 10th level fighter than a 20th level paladin?"