PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii

Kaylzy99
2006-11-21, 12:39 PM
Anyone buying one of these when they come out? Im getting one for Xmas.. I can't wait. I think they'll be a total hit this xmas! What do yaz reckon?

Hario
2006-11-21, 12:42 PM
They are already out, they came out on sunday...

Om
2006-11-21, 01:14 PM
I was actually tempted. Then I remember that I'd have to buy the console, splash out on games, get a TV and then find somewhere to rig the whole thing up. I'll stick to the laptop for now.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-21, 01:17 PM
They are already out, they came out on sunday...

Ever heard of Europe? You know, that entire continent that isn't getting the Wii until the 8th of next month?

No? Strange.

Om
2006-11-21, 01:37 PM
Ever heard of Europe? You know, that entire continent that isn't getting the Wii until the 8th of next month?

No? Strange.
Its spelt "Yurop". Just a word to the wise :smallwink:

WampaX
2006-11-21, 01:45 PM

No? Strange.

Without a location in your profile, we can only guess that you are part of the Giant's country of origin.

If this is not the case, feel free to enter a location so that people may be edified from whence your musings emanate.

RyanJ
2006-11-21, 02:20 PM
I swore off consoles years ago (never wanted any part of the PS2/xBox wars) but seeing the Wii makes me want to get back into video games again. Price is right, too. For about $500 it looks like you can put a nice package together with a couple games and multi players. Of course, I'm waiting for the buzz to cool down first. I don't want to deprive any children of their Christmas gifts :biggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-21, 02:36 PM
Without a location in your profile, we can only guess that you are part of the Giant's country of origin.

If this is not the case, feel free to enter a location so that people may be edified from whence your musings emanate.

I do have my location entered, as well as an exclamation of revelry for living in this joyous country of rain and sometimes sleet.

I'd just think it would be safe to assume that, if someone says the Wii will be coming in the future, they do not in fact live in a country where the Wii has been released (which, as of now, is every country in the world outside of America and possibly Canada).

Fun fact: America got the Wii before any other country. Including Japan, who get it on the second of next month. Funny, that.

Blood
2006-11-21, 02:44 PM
How much is the Wii, anyway? I heard about the PS3 and the Xbox 360 (which is a bit older now), but never heard what the Wii costs.

I have some of the "older" consoles, such as PS1 and PS2, and GameCube, and I have to say I've enjoyed Nintendo's style much more than the Playstation. I might get the Wii, once more orders are put out (all the Wii's shipped to America were sold on the first day!).

whatsername
2006-11-21, 02:49 PM
Someone told me it costs $250, which is really reasonable compared to the price of other new platforms.

Uruk
2006-11-21, 03:04 PM
(Answer to Bloods question)
In Norway (my country) the Nintendo WII will cost 2500 nok, that should be around 220 to 230 dollars in the USA. What I don't understand is why some people have fun by buying and smashing (simply using a sledge and break them open) in the front of shocked people looking at them, some people are just crazy.

I think that the best game ever made of Nintendo will be the new Zelda game (Zelda: Twilight Princess). Anyone who disagree?

Blood
2006-11-21, 03:10 PM
(Answer to Bloods question)
In Norway (my country) the Nintendo WII will cost 2500 nok, that should be around 220 to 230 dollars in the USA. What I don't understand is why some people have fun by buying and smashing (simply using a sledge and break them open) in the front of shocked people looking at them, some people are just crazy.

I think that the best game ever made of Nintendo will be the new Zelda game (Zelda: Twilight Princess). Anyone who disagree?
I wouldn't say it's going to be the best game ever. Not nearly. But then, I was never a fan of Zelda or Link...

Thanks for the input; around $250 US dollars I take it? Sounds reasonable, at least compared to the PS3.

And people actually bought a Wii just to prove that they hate Nintendo by smashing it with a sledgehammer in public? That's just nuts. There was kind of a limited supply (at least in America, I don't know how it was elsewhere), so someone went and bought one just to break it? Crazy.

blue chicken
2006-11-22, 01:08 AM
Just for record: After a fourteen hour wait in line and two days of test-playing, I can safely assure you that the Wii is like nothing you've experienced before.

For those of you who liked the 'cube, snap up a Wii the first chance you get. If you're one of those people who needs awesome visuals, though, go for the PS3, if you can get one without getting shot. (America's been gangster like that lately)

In all seriousness, though, Wii Sports (which comes bundled) is probably one of the coolest and freshest gaming experiences I've ever had. The boxing is incredible, and tennis is pretty neat as well. Twilight Princess delivers as well...so if you're on the fence, this is your push.

Krytha
2006-11-22, 01:47 AM
The smashing consoles thing? Yeah, that's just a bunch of internet guys who go out and buy the hottest item available and break it. They did it with the PS3, the Xbox, the PSP, the ipod, a whole bunch of stuff. It isn't their money either. They raise the funds on their website from donations (presumably from people who are opposing fanboysandgirls).

I would like to get a Wii, but I doubt I could go through with it. In which case getting a PS3 or Xbox 360 would be completely inconceivable. Ever. Unless I found one sitting on the side of the road.

Blood
2006-11-22, 07:15 AM
Just for record: After a fourteen hour wait in line and two days of test-playing, I can safely assure you that the Wii is like nothing you've experienced before.

For those of you who liked the 'cube, snap up a Wii the first chance you get. If you're one of those people who needs awesome visuals, though, go for the PS3, if you can get one without getting shot. (America's been gangster like that lately)

In all seriousness, though, Wii Sports (which comes bundled) is probably one of the coolest and freshest gaming experiences I've ever had. The boxing is incredible, and tennis is pretty neat as well. Twilight Princess delivers as well...so if you're on the fence, this is your push.
Hopefully I'll be able to get one. Sounds like it's really fun. :smalleek:

The smashing consoles thing? Yeah, that's just a bunch of internet guys who go out and buy the hottest item available and break it. They did it with the PS3, the Xbox, the PSP, the ipod, a whole bunch of stuff. It isn't their money either. They raise the funds on their website from donations (presumably from people who are opposing fanboysandgirls).
Wow. People pay money for that...

theKOT
2006-11-22, 09:41 AM
Ok, I went to Walmart at five pm on the night of the launch, and at nine the manager comes out to inform us that they don't have the 29 they were supposed to have, they have twenty. I was No. 23. So I got in line at 5 am the following morning at best buy, and I was No. 31 out of 63. Both locations sold out before opening.

But on to the console: it delivers on all its promises. So far I have only played Wii sports(TP is still wrapped because I don't have fifty hours to pledge right now) but I have played for about four hours. The Wiimote works very well, and although the graphics do suck, you won't notice it. The multiplayer modes are fun and interactive, and quite literally anyone can have fun playing. My mom actually won a game of tennis against me, and I(a gamer) have a blast when I play. The single player mode is really only good for the minigames, but there is enough there to keep you busy for hours. But this is about the console, not Wii sports, so let me just say that from my experiences with said game, I am giddy with excitement about the possibilities for this system. It is still gaming, but on a whole new level.

pyrefiend
2006-11-22, 12:01 PM
Uh, I just cannot wait to get a Wii. Mostly I'm thinking about Twilight Princess and Metroid Corruption, but Super Smash Bros 3 comes out this spring too...

coron
2006-11-22, 12:19 PM
Hmmm I've been a playstation guy and was looking at getting me and my brother and two sisters to get the Ps3. But you guys reallly like the Wii, maybe I'll get that, eventually.

blue chicken
2006-11-22, 01:35 PM
Supplemental note: The graphics do not "suck," parsay. The Wii is about as powerful as two original X-boxes taken together. While this may not be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3, it's still a significant step up from the 'cube...and TP, at least, looks great. A little bit better than Resident Evil 4, if you guys have played that. Wii Sports does use a simple graphical style, but that's intentional, and meant to draw players' attention to the gameplay itself rather than the visuals.

And for the record, non-gamers LOVE the Wii so far. My girlfriend beat me in golf AND bowling yesterday. Thank god I beat her in tennis....

Jibar
2006-11-22, 02:15 PM
I got me e-mail the other day saying that I'll be getting my pre-ordered one on launch (being in England and all, it means I'll get it the day after if I'm lucky).
And after seeing an advert for it, I am truly amazed. I always knew you could do a lot with that controller, but in that advert they did things with it that I never thought of...
Now, as I must do it;
*Fanboy squee*

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-22, 03:03 PM
Supplemental note: The graphics do not "suck," parsay. The Wii is about as powerful as two original X-boxes taken together. While this may not be as powerful as the 360 or the PS3, it's still a significant step up from the 'cube...and TP, at least, looks great. A little bit better than Resident Evil 4, if you guys have played that. Wii Sports does use a simple graphical style, but that's intentional, and meant to draw players' attention to the gameplay itself rather than the visuals.

And for the record, non-gamers LOVE the Wii so far. My girlfriend beat me in golf AND bowling yesterday. Thank god I beat her in tennis....

I do believe KOT was talking about the graphics of Wii Sports. Which do suck, if you believe all games must be photorealistic.

In other news, I've preordered a Wii from GAME, along with a copy of Twilight Princess, for £219.99. Which is pretty good. I should be getting it on the eighth.. fingers crossed they didn't sell out before I placed the order.

theKOT
2006-11-22, 10:36 PM
I guess they were going for caricatures in the Miis, but still, their definition even as caricatures is low. The machine is severely underpowered compared to the other two. However, it is really worth it. The game is so absorbing you forget about graphics and just have fun. Releasing Wii Sports with the system was a great move, one I believe will probably add a third to their console sales.

Vazzaroth
2006-11-22, 10:39 PM
I'm waiting to see someone ACTUALLY playing, not just a video of an actor being stupid, or a game reviewer. Whether I want one will depend LARGLY on how much you actually have to swing the controller around like a loser.

Can't... Bring myself... to look dumb playing games!

blue chicken
2006-11-22, 11:11 PM
Oh, my friend! My two guests agree: That's the best part! Had a friend in from college, and he and his bro came over to play...and there was an epic tennis grudge match, a bowl-a-rama, and a ...less spectular game of golf. (His little brother won. Go figure.) And it's not so much that you even look dumb, unless you think...well, people playing tennis or golf look dumb. It IS more fun if you get into it, though.

Myatar_Panwar
2006-11-22, 11:28 PM
Hmmmmmmm, I alreday have a 360, but after hearing about the coolness that is Wii, Im starting to wonder if I will find myself buying one in a year or so. Especially since its only 250 dollars! MY GOD thats cheap!!! (well compared to the other systems, especially the PS3. I mean, 600 dollars? Come on......)

theKOT
2006-11-23, 01:10 AM
I'm waiting to see someone ACTUALLY playing, not just a video of an actor being stupid, or a game reviewer. Whether I want one will depend LARGLY on how much you actually have to swing the controller around like a loser.

Can't... Bring myself... to look dumb playing games!
Reference this penny arcade strip. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/13) You can play sitting down with small movements, but it lacks the degree of satisfaction. Of course Nothing in Zelda is really better with large motions, so it depends on the game.

Sholos
2006-11-23, 06:43 AM
I guess they were going for caricatures in the Miis, but still, their definition even as caricatures is low. The machine is severely underpowered compared to the other two. However, it is really worth it. The game is so absorbing you forget about graphics and just have fun. Releasing Wii Sports with the system was a great move, one I believe will probably add a third to their console sales.

Read Blue Chicken's post above yours. The lower graphics are intentional! For one, the game has to keep all those in memory.

Also, the Wii isn't even competing with the PS3 (sucks!!) and the 360. It's an entirely different market, so there's no way it's "underpowered" because there's nothing to compare it to.

Blood
2006-11-23, 08:31 AM
Hmmmmmmm, I alreday have a 360, but after hearing about the coolness that is Wii, Im starting to wonder if I will find myself buying one in a year or so. Especially since its only 250 dollars! MY GOD thats cheap!!! (well compared to the other systems, especially the PS3. I mean, 600 dollars? Come on......)
And, the PS3 actually costs Sony about $900 to make. They are selling it at a loss so they can make money off the games / sell more expensive ones later.

Also, Super Smash 3 is coming out? I can't wait.

I could care less about the graphics, unless of course they suck so bad that it ruins the game, but I know they don't. Instead of going for computer graphics like the overexpensive PS3, they went with a simple but fun system, and the controller rocks, and it doesn't cost nearly as much. I am looking forward to having a Wii.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-23, 09:18 AM

Which rock have you been living under? Is it a nice rock? :smallwink:

Yeah, we found out about Super Smash Bros. Brawl last E3. It has Solid Snake, Metaknight, Wario, Pit (of Kid Icarus fame) and most (if not all) of the characters from Melee.

Dumbledore lives
2006-11-23, 09:57 AM
The wii looks awesome and I hope I'm getting it for christmas, On Game Informer http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/200701/R06.1117.1525.10118.htm
they gave twilight princess a perfect ten. In thousands of games they've given about 12 tens.

Elan.aka.Chesed
2006-11-23, 10:40 AM
Thank god for international currency exchange.
I already have a Wii though no good games are out yet.
My friends bought it for me and said it wuz around $225, and now i owe him.

Revolutionary gameplay, awsome controller, i recomend you buy it and have a blast.

blue chicken
2006-11-23, 12:54 PM
Wii Sports is incredibly good, and Twilight Princess is very good as well...I personally wouldn't say it's a ten, but it's definately at least a nine. For zelda, the motion controls don't add much at all except a "Hey, that's neat..." kind of feeling. The 'cube version is probably almost just as good. It's still a fantastic addition to the series, though, and the art style is very pretty.

The White Knight
2006-11-23, 07:19 PM
Wii Sports is incredibly good, and Twilight Princess is very good as well...I personally wouldn't say it's a ten, but it's definately at least a nine. For zelda, the motion controls don't add much at all except a "Hey, that's neat..." kind of feeling. The 'cube version is probably almost just as good. It's still a fantastic addition to the series, though, and the art style is very pretty.

Yeah, I don't find the Wii-mote and nunchuck bring a lot to the table in a game like Zelda, except for projectile aiming. I'd rather press a button to swing my sword than jiggle the controller.

That said, the game is still pure fantasticness.

Beta
2006-11-24, 05:42 PM
so, about the ne smash bros brawl, anyone already knows how much characters are gonna be in the game? a rough estimate maybe?

blue chicken
2006-11-25, 12:58 AM
Um...a lot? No numbers, presumably most of the ones from Melee along with a few more. So...probably more than 20 and less than 100. Eesh. Talk about vague...;)

SilveryCord
2006-11-25, 12:20 PM

Yeah, we found out about Super Smash Bros. Brawl last E3. It has Solid Snake, Metaknight, Wario, Pit (of Kid Icarus fame) and most (if not all) of the characters from Melee.

No ice climbers :smallfrown:

Krytha
2006-11-25, 03:05 PM
Really? Are you sure that's not a rumour? I havent heard anything on Smashboards and that one release turned out to be a hoax.

theKOT
2006-11-25, 03:58 PM
Yes, yes it is real. (http://www.smashbros.com/en/main.html) They announced it at E3 and showed a trailer.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-25, 05:22 PM
..Hoax? What are you talking about?

Krytha
2006-11-25, 05:31 PM
What? I don't see any mention of ICs being cut over there...

Blood
2006-11-25, 06:07 PM
It's purple with yellow polka dots.

Then it looks like Samus will still be there. I can continue owning!

I got a Wii! I couldn't believe it. We went to so many different stores, but we couldn't even find a controller, much less the console. Then a family friend texts us saying he bought an extra console (one console per customer, so he used his wife :smallbiggrin: ), and was going to sell it on Ebay, but said he'd give it to us for the price he bought it for. Pretty darned nice of him, I'll say. I'm so looking forward to games: Twilight Princess, Metal Gear Solid, Super Smash, a possible Mario Kart...

So yeah, I'm happy.

theKOT
2006-11-25, 06:32 PM
What? I don't see any mention of ICs being cut over there...
I thought you were asking if Brawl was just a rumour. Your original post was pretty vague.

Krytha
2006-11-25, 06:35 PM
Anyone who visits smashboards already knows 99% of what's already been released. Posts like ICs cut! dangle the 1% in front of you.

Besides, posting right underneath someone else's post is the same as replying to that post to me. I would've quoted it if it were further back...

Crispy Dave
2006-11-26, 01:15 AM
no ice climbers noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smallsigh: I stil have kirby kirby will live as long as smash bros is around or my name isent well i cant say online so ill go with crispydave but pit looks cool

Krytha
2006-11-26, 01:32 AM
Can someone confirm or deny the cutting of ICs in SSBB??!!!

Jibar
2006-11-26, 02:44 AM
Until trailers are released we have no idea who has and hasn't been cut;
So, confirmed characters so far;
Link
Mario
Pikachu
Kirby
Snake
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Samus
Wario
Fox

Guys from the company are forever telling people things on the internets, and when the actual game is released, it's not true. So go with the trailers.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-26, 05:29 AM
no ice climbers noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smallsigh: I stil have kirby kirby will live as long as smash bros is around or my name isent well i cant say online so ill go with crispydave but pit looks cool

Of course Kirby's in.

He even has a rather funny moment in the trailer, when Mario, Link and Pikachu get updated looks, he just stays the same... so while the other three are posing he just looks around, confused.

Hey, I thought it was funny..

Blood
2006-11-26, 12:25 PM
The Wii is awesome. I was expecting it to maybe be a little oversensitive (or under sensitive), but it was perfect. You swing it, the bat swings. You slam it, it's a home run.

I hope to get Zelda and SSB once it's out.

blue chicken
2006-11-26, 02:53 PM
*waves hand Jedi style*

You WILL buy Zelda. A great game, it is. Very similar to OoT in style and presentation...which is a good thing!

indianajoe
2006-11-26, 10:40 PM
I'm very much enjoying my Wii. Especially since everyone from my father down to my baby sister got a kick out of playing Wii Sports.

SacredStorm
2006-11-27, 07:28 PM
I waited two days for my Wii outside of Target, and I'm glad it was worth the effort of getting it. I'm a maniac when it comes to Zelda; so of course that was the first game I bought for it. Sadly, I finished the game last week, but I still have a few more hearts to go!

The Wii's controls are just right when they come to sensitivity, however in Zelda the nunchuck might screw you up when you are going for the shield bash (thrusting the nunchuck forward) and instead you do the spin attack (shaking nunchuck.) Besides that, I love the game, and can't wait for more of from Nintendo!

Beta
2006-11-28, 04:07 AM
So, for smash bros there's this "traditional " controller, anyone have one of those or got something to say about it? (it sucks / it's okay / it rules).
And SacredStorm, is zelda also playable with this "traditional" controller? Is that any better, or worse?

Jibar
2006-11-28, 09:47 AM
What I have heard;
The traditional controller is basically an empty Gamecube controller which you slide the Wiimote into, and it functions as a wireless Gamecube controller, though you can't use it with old Gamecube games.
However, you will still be able to use the old Gamecube controllers with Brawl, judging from some of the press releases.
And now I'm just guessing, but I'd say that most games won't be playable with the traditional controller.

You can also get a nes one to play the old games with. Or is that one the traditional controller? I dunno...

Sholos
2006-11-28, 10:31 AM
Of course Kirby's in.

He even has a rather funny moment in the trailer, when Mario, Link and Pikachu get updated looks, he just stays the same... so while the other three are posing he just looks around, confused.

Hey, I thought it was funny..

Link to trailer?

Beta
2006-11-28, 12:25 PM
@Jibar : actually, I was reffering to this controller. I heard the same rumor about inserting the remote into an empty gamecube controller, but I never actually saw one, so I assume it doesn't actually exist and this here is the controller for gamecube games and games that don't use the remote, like smash bros brawl and probably many more in the future. But as you can see, it's not quite the same as the gamecube controller. So, i was wondering if anyone here already used it and whether they liked or disliked it.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/COMPAQ%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpghttp://www.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a64505/a_med_wii_controller.jpg

Jibar
2006-11-28, 12:43 PM
That's it. The nes one. I've only seen pictures of that so far.

blue chicken
2006-11-28, 06:44 PM
Nuh-uh. That, my friends, is what is being referenced as the "Classic controller." It's designed to be used to play virtual-console games that you purchase and download from the archive of titles released for past systems. Since they're not being re-tooled to use motion controls, Nintendo had to release an add-on to allow you to play them. So far, you can't play ANY Wii games with it, but the controls with the 'mote and 'chuk are pretty great so far, so no worries.

As for the NES controller...have you guys not turned a Wii-mote sideways? It's designed that way on purpose, for the retro effect. ;)

SacredStorm
2006-11-28, 06:54 PM
I have not bought myself the classic controller yet, but I will eventually once I begin buying the virtual-console games. As for the gamecube controller with Zelda, that would be a no. First of all, Twilight Princess is coming out the 12th of December for the Gamecube (in the US of course.)

For Gamecube, the buttons will be the same as for the Wind Waker except your special moves will be combinations of button pressing.

Ex. The backslice will be L+sideways move+A+A+B.

In my opinion, the Wii will be your better choice simply for the gameplay experience. The graphics will be the same however, but I would still prefer the Wii.

Blood
2006-11-28, 11:16 PM
The Wii was never made for graphics. In fact, after playing it, I would go so far as to say that the graphics suck. If you are looking for a realistic, first-person shooter type game, and see Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, don't bother. Get the PS3, even if it is expensive.

The Wii is cheaper than the PS3, and in my opinion at least, the games are more enjoyable. Sometimes the bad graphics even bring out a laugh, like the people running around with no arms or legs. Also, the Wii is much more interactive. If you want, you can revert to the old controller (supposedly by turning the Wii remote on its side, but I still haven't figured it out), or you can go the new way - the interactive, exercising (seriously) way. Playing the Wii Sports made my arms, shoulders, and even parts of my back sore. It was great exercise.

Also, got Twilight Princess. Link just doesn't let us down. You swing the Wii remote, he swings. Just as many different attacks as always, and this time, he can turn into a wolf too. Very interesting storyline.

I recommend the Wii!

Jothki
2006-11-29, 10:18 PM
The Wii was never made for graphics. In fact, after playing it, I would go so far as to say that the graphics suck. If you are looking for a realistic, first-person shooter type game, and see Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, don't bother. Get the PS3, even if it is expensive.

At least based on the screenshots I've seen, CoD 3 looks like a PS1 game. I'd hardly say that's representitive of what the Wii can do.

Blood
2006-11-30, 07:34 AM
At least based on the screenshots I've seen, CoD 3 looks like a PS1 game. I'd hardly say that's representitive of what the Wii can do.
It certainly isn't. Graphic-wise, yes of course, the Wii's graphics are not the pinnacle of it's enjoyment. It is fun because it is interactive, and has some of the sillier games.

Although I will defend the Wii's graphics to a point - bad graphics sometimes make the sillier game more fun too. And the graphics aren't quite as low-tech as the PS1. It's graphics are simply a different style.

Yuki Akuma
2006-11-30, 10:51 AM
It certainly isn't. Graphic-wise, yes of course, the Wii's graphics are not the pinnacle of it's enjoyment. It is fun because it is interactive, and has some of the sillier games.

Although I will defend the Wii's graphics to a point - bad graphics sometimes make the sillier game more fun too. And the graphics aren't quite as low-tech as the PS1. It's graphics are simply a different style.

A note: The Wii's graphics are about twice as good as the Gamecube's, which were better than the PS2. The Wii has pretty good graphical hardware.

Forderz
2006-11-30, 06:18 PM
Price of system and Wii Sports: $312.17CAN tax included.

Endless fun: Priceless.

Couldn't resist!

Kaylzy99
2006-12-02, 03:17 PM
Well, it’s nearly Christmas… So I just wondered what everyone is getting this year? I’m considering the new Nintendo Wii, what do you’s reckon? Anything good you can recommend?

Shikton
2006-12-02, 03:23 PM
Already bought myself a fancy new suit and a trip to England. Should suffice.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, I found out that my brain truly doesn't work tonight. So to answer it correctly, yeah, get the Wii. Heard it's good.

Ms_Elaneous
2006-12-02, 03:23 PM
I'd go for it. Nintendo usually puts out good stuff, my friend. It's a little out of my Christmas price range, but hey.

B-Man
2006-12-02, 03:30 PM
There are a bunch of problems with the Wii (if you want to play online), but it's generally the most innovative system that I've seen in a long while. And the price range is awesome! $279.99 CAD.

EdgarVerona
2006-12-02, 03:58 PM
What's the exchange rate from US to Canadian dollars these days? I know at one point it was somewhere around 1:2... which would mean that, should us gamers be willing to trek up to Canada or somehow acquire it there, we could get a pretty good discount. Hmm... =)

Is it still around that exchange rate? I haven't been to Canada in a long, long time. =)

InaVegt
2006-12-02, 04:01 PM
It's around €250,- in the netherlands but the euro's currently worth more than the US dollar so I don't think it's cheap.

Blood
2006-12-02, 05:00 PM
The other thread you made in the Gaming forum seems to have some good info in it. :smallwink:

It's 250 American dollars, but if you want it for Christmas you might have to find it on Ebay. They all sold out the first day, and I don't think they're shipping until January (I could be wrong). The games are expensive too, and finding a second controller is a nightmare.

As for the system itself, it's great fun. I won't get into it here, but the other thread has some of my opinions in it.

(Thread got merged.)

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-12-02, 05:22 PM
The games are expensive too, and finding a second controller is a nightmare.
The games are priced either the same as the other 7th gen consoles (59.99USD) or, for Nintendo games, at the 6th gen price (49.99USD) - which may be expensive objectively, but not any more so than anyone else's.

Comrade Gorby: Also, this belongs in the Other Gaming forum, where this is already a thread on this same topic, so I will be merging this thread into that one.

Blood
2006-12-02, 11:45 PM
The games are priced either the same as the other 7th gen consoles (59.99USD) or, for Nintendo games, at the 6th gen price (49.99USD) - which may be expensive objectively, but not any more so than anyone else's.
Compared to other game systems' games' prices, I guess it isn't too expensive. But compared to the price of the system, one game costs 20% of the Wii itself!

Dire Penguin
2006-12-03, 10:18 AM
The coolest thing about this system is the variety of games you can do. They've set up so many different controllers wit hthe laser gyroscopes, you can to anything from fishing to golf. I'm interested to see the integration of gameplay, graphics, and fun!
The only thing bad about the system is the name...I mean think about it! Who ways "Wanna come play with my WII?"(Wee?)

Blood
2006-12-03, 10:48 AM
The only thing bad about the system is the name...I mean think about it! Who ways "Wanna come play with my WII?"(Wee?)
It is pronounced Wii (Whee). I think it stands for Wireless Interactive Internet. Once you get a Wii, you make a person that you try to look like you using the choices they have for the face, and a few other things. This is called a Mii (Mee). We, me. :smallwink:

Om
2006-12-03, 10:56 AM
It is pronounced Wii (Whee). I think it stands for Wireless Interactive Internet.Isn't it Japanese for "together" or some such?

Jibar
2006-12-03, 11:39 AM
I thought they chose it because no matter what language it was eay to pronouce. Plus it implies togetherness, which is what the Wii is all about.
I've heard the Wii took Thanksgiving by storm in the states, with young and old alike playing together.
That's what Nintendo wanted, that's what they got
The Wii. Pointing out even the best gamers can lose to a 6 year old girl since 2006.

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-03, 11:41 AM
"Wii" doesn't mean anything at all. It sounds similar to the English word "We", but it does not mean anything in any language under the sun. It also doesn't stand for anything.

It's just a name. People don't go trying to analyse "XBox"...

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-03, 12:55 PM
Isn't it Japanese for "together" or some such?

No, it's english...

Om
2006-12-03, 01:37 PM
It's just a name. People don't go trying to analyse "XBox"...Research says that shows with "X" in the name get higher ratings. :smallbiggrin:

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-03, 03:31 PM
Research says that shows with "X" in the name get higher ratings. :smallbiggrin:

But "Box" already has an "x" in it!

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-12-03, 03:42 PM
But "Box" already has an "x" in it!
That "x" wasn't eXtreme enough :smallyuk: Though, honestly, I think in the case of the XBox, the initial X is more reminiscent of an "unknown," as in "Planet X" or "Racer X."

Krytha
2006-12-03, 05:14 PM
However, it is a well known fact that having two Xs in your name makes your power level over NINE THOUSANNDDDD!!!

Athelis
2006-12-03, 07:14 PM

Not only is it coming out, but it's gonna be online!!!!
I own a Wii and have had tons of fun with it, Zelda and Wii sports, both of them rock.

Umbral_Arcanist
2006-12-06, 09:56 PM
Aside from all games have launch lazy grpahics, the Wii will likley suffer in graphics just because devs know it isn't as important to Wii gamers

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-07, 03:57 AM
If graphics aren't important, why would it matter?

Anyway, the Wii is better than the Gamecube in the graphics department, and the Gamecube was quite good. So if a developer tries they can get quite a bit out of the little thing.

Jibar
2006-12-07, 03:00 PM
Gamecube was better than the PS2 I believe in the graphics department.
I always thought the PS2 graphics sucked anyway.

Anyway; tomorrow, launch date in Europe.
Which also means tomorrow, arrival of my Wii.
Squee I doth say. And I doth squee with joy.
Mostly because I'm going to teach my papa the true meaning of ass kicking.
I'll out-golf his hide good.

Uruk
2006-12-08, 01:48 PM
I have just bought a Nintendo WII, and when it comes to Zelda I have one thing to say:

"I wasn't right, I was ten times right. I thought Zelda would be the best game to Nintendo ever, but it is the best game, no matter which console you choose EVER. I really mean it Zelda: Twilight Princess is a reason alone for buying the console."

The Evil Thing
2006-12-08, 02:32 PM
Wow, you people sure are enthusiastic. (http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com/)

Very strong, too.

jeoO
2006-12-09, 02:15 PM
Have you got a Nintendo wii console?
whats it like was it worth wating for?

Saithis Bladewing
2006-12-09, 02:38 PM
Maybe it's called the Wii beacuse it's so tiny!

...Seriously, it's like, what, barely twice as large as a DS? XD

Uruk
2006-12-10, 09:17 AM
Oh yeah, if it isn't the best game feeling ever, it is at least top three. I bought my console for 2500 NoK and in USA it is only 3 5th parts of that again down to 1500 NoK or about 250 dollars. And if you buy it, which you really should (if you like gaming of course), don't forget Zelda: Twilight Princess and an extra controller so you can play WII Sports with your friends. My warm recommendation!

Closet_Skeleton
2006-12-10, 12:52 PM

It's about as big as my DvD player if I remove it from the computer.

Athelis
2006-12-10, 02:18 PM
Well, at least its easy to find room for unlike the other two collosi. :smallbiggrin:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2006-12-10, 10:45 PM

Like three stacked DVD cases. You can find pictures of it all over Reddit.

noweezernoworld
2006-12-22, 11:49 AM
Hey, just a normal, useless bump, right?

WRONG!

Know why? I'M POSTING THIS FROM MY WII, BABY!!!!

That is all.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-22, 01:14 PM
Hey, just a normal, useless bump, right?

WRONG!

Know why? I'M POSTING THIS FROM MY WII, BABY!!!!

That is all.

Strange... mine wouldn't let me access the forums

now i need a HD-TV to be able to read the text.

blue chicken
2006-12-22, 01:50 PM
Awww... I thought I'd be the first to Wii post. Sad...ah, well. Internet Channel on Wii for the win!

noweezernoworld
2006-12-22, 03:17 PM
Strange... mine wouldn't let me access the forums

now i need a HD-TV to be able to read the text.

I have an HD-TV, and at first, like you, I was squinting to read. Then I figured out that you can hit the plus button to zoom in and read everything clearly. Now if only I could run AIM express, I might never leave my room.

Eldred
2006-12-22, 06:24 PM
Hey everyone.

I'm getting a Nintendo Wii for Christmas (my parents told me) and I'm just wondering: how hard it is to get the Wii connected wirelessly to a router? Does it work itself out automatically or do you have to do some technical console magic?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2006-12-22, 06:41 PM
There is no way I will ever get a Wii. for one, I think the motion controllers is one of the dumbest things invented. if I want to go play golf, I'll actually go to a course and play golf, not some lame imitation of it, or any similar activity for that matter. Besides, i'm perfectly happy with my Gamecube (which I bought for the sole reason of getting all the RE games), and since RE 5 isn't coming out on Wii, I have no reason to get it. On top of that Twilight Princess is also coming out on GC too. Based on the awful game selection for the original Xbox, I have no interest in getting an Xbox 360 either. Which leaves me with getting a PS3 when prices come down and RE 5 actually comes out.

blue chicken
2006-12-22, 07:33 PM
Erm...well...I'm sorry you're missing out, purple-cube-man. Methinks you should play Wii Sports and Red Steel (though mostly Wii Sports) before you write the controller off completely. It really is fun.

As for Resident Evil...I guess you haven't heard about Umbrella Chronicles, eh? Again...you're missing out.

Eldred: I just did that very thing last night. How technical are you? Also, what's your situation as far as your wireless router's position/range? In theory, it's not hard at all. As long as the signal is getting to your Wii, you just go into the internet settings menu, detect it, receive some sort of mysterious update, and then you're good.

...in practice...well, let's just say I had to finangle a little bit. Granted, it was a wireless router that I bought YESTERDAY, it's a floor above me, and about 50 ft. away...and for some reason some other mysterious wireless device was interfering...but I did eventually get it to work by changing the channel the router was broadcasting it on. Nintendo's support side is pretty good, and has a whole catalogue of error codes and everything for if everything goes broxorz on you.

So, in short...no, it's not hard at all. It sorts itself out pretty automatically, unless you're just very unlucky. And even then it's fixable.

2006-12-22, 07:41 PM
well blue, first of all, I'd much prefer to play actual sports than simulated ones. It's more fun to participate, and you get exercise doing it at the same time, which you can't get from a video game. Besides, I've never really liked sports video games in general anyway. As for the Umbrella Chronicles, looks to me that it's similar to RE Dead Aim, which was a complete and utter disaster, and added nothing of value to the RE universe at all. As for the controller thing, I just don't like the idea for a motion controller, it just doesn't appeal to me, nor does it appeal to anyone I know. But it apparently does appeal to some, and I can respect that.

Desidus
2006-12-22, 10:29 PM
Well, enjoy your lack of Wiiness. However, I've bought 2 for the barracks, and I've never seen Marines quite so happy before... well, so happy off the rifle range at least (oooh, do I hear another Wii sports sport?!?!)

blue chicken
2006-12-23, 01:19 AM
Played Red Steel, Desidus? Not the greatest graphics or story wise, but MAN, is the zoomin' and snipin' fun in that game...

Cube: Hm...I suppose I see what you're saying. I'm a soccer and ultimate frisbee and weight lifting kind of guy myself...but for some reason, the Wii makes its little sports games SO much fun. And boxing can be...quite arobic at times. Ha...give the Wii a year or so and you'll start seeing dedicated exercise titles. Mark my words.

Also...I'd heard that RE: UC will be using 4's engine, modified to use the gun for certain sections. Ah, well. Should be fun...and you didn't like Dead Aim, eh? I thought it was...fun. Picked it up for 15 dollars worth of traded-in garbage at a local place, and it was an interesting experience.

adanedhel9
2006-12-23, 01:27 AM
Although I don't have my Wii yet, a friend brought one over for a bit. We tried to hook it up to my wireless and got nowhere. Our eventual conclusion, as guided by the official Wii boards, was that Netgear routers and the Wii do not get along together reliably.

So if you have a Netgear, be prepared that you might not be able to connect. I haven't heard of any problems other than that, though.

Nightmarenny
2006-12-23, 07:12 AM
There is no way I will ever get a Wii. for one, I think the motion controllers is one of the dumbest things invented. if I want to go play golf, I'll actually go to a course and play golf, not some lame imitation of it, or any similar activity for that matter. Besides, i'm perfectly happy with my Gamecube (which I bought for the sole reason of getting all the RE games), and since RE 5 isn't coming out on Wii, I have no reason to get it. On top of that Twilight Princess is also coming out on GC too. Based on the awful game selection for the original Xbox, I have no interest in getting an Xbox 360 either. Which leaves me with getting a PS3 when prices come down and RE 5 actually comes out.PS3? Drpping price's? Not for a very long tme. The PSP is still 250$ dispite not selling a all.

Plus sony is already losing money on PS3's. It'll be a good two years before that hunk is de-price'd. Which is really too bad since dispite soon getting a Wii i'll still need the PS3 for my beloved Metal gear, and the 360 for Halo.

...God I'm such a consumer whore.

Jibar
2006-12-23, 07:35 AM
and you get exercise doing it at the same time,

This statement alone proves you haven't played Wii Sports.
I'm getting more excersise from rigorous amounts of boxing and tennis then I have from any real sport.
I also have a sore head from headbutting the lampshade. Being short is a surprising advantage in tennis.

blue chicken
2006-12-23, 12:43 PM
Adanedhel9: Have you tried turning off the SPI firewall? (Whatever the heck THAT is...) I found that little tidbit when I was having problems with mine...something about Netgear and SPI firewalls.

Eldred
2006-12-23, 02:58 PM
Eldred: I just did that very thing last night. How technical are you? Also, what's your situation as far as your wireless router's position/range? In theory, it's not hard at all. As long as the signal is getting to your Wii, you just go into the internet settings menu, detect it, receive some sort of mysterious update, and then you're good.
Me and technical don't go very well together (if that's what you meant) :smallsmile: .

The wireless router is about 2 metres away from where the Wii is going to be, so if the Wii doesn't automatically connect to it, somebody up there hates me. Thanks for the info.

adanedhel9
2006-12-23, 03:00 PM
Adanedhel9: Have you tried turning off the SPI firewall? (Whatever the heck THAT is...) I found that little tidbit when I was having problems with mine...something about Netgear and SPI firewalls.

While I didn't specifically try this, I believe all the firewalls were turned off to begin with.

Since I don't have a Wii of my own yet, I won't be able to test this anytime soon. But thanks for the tip.

blue chicken
2006-12-23, 04:27 PM
No problem, fellows. Guh...after my little episode getting the Wiinternet all connected (tee hee) I just thought I'd throw what I know out there to help everyone else.

2006-12-24, 07:41 PM
First off Night, Did I ever say I planned on getting a PS3 anytime soon? That, and I have no intention of even thinking about getting one until the release date of RE 5 has been set.

Jibar, I have a very hard time believing that swinging a controller around playing animated tennis compares to running around on an actual tennis court playing the game, or swimming laps in a pool, or running several miles. So you'll have to pardon me when I say I don't think that is true.

Jack Squat
2006-12-25, 09:50 AM
Although I don't have my Wii yet, a friend brought one over for a bit. We tried to hook it up to my wireless and got nowhere. Our eventual conclusion, as guided by the official Wii boards, was that Netgear routers and the Wii do not get along together reliably.

So if you have a Netgear, be prepared that you might not be able to connect. I haven't heard of any problems other than that, though.

Hmm, I have a Netgear router and it works fine. At first I couldn't get it working when I entered my WEP, so I entered the Wii's MAC address into the router and it connected right away.

danielf
2006-12-25, 01:20 PM
i'm waiting to nintendo wii came to Brazil :(

The Demented One
2006-12-25, 07:46 PM
Just got mine today; ready to enjoy my Wiinter. I can currently attest to the amazingness of Wii Sport and Twilight Princess, and I plan on playing Red Steel and Trauma Center tonight.

blue chicken
2006-12-25, 10:45 PM
Give Red Steel 90 minutes before you make your call. Also...don't try to play that one standing up, except for the sword fighting. It's much easier to aim if you sit in a chair and keep the wiimote on the arm of the chair, guiding it with your wrist instead of your arm. MUCH easier.

The Demented One
2006-12-26, 01:25 AM
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Also, first post I've made from my Wii.

Jibar
2006-12-26, 06:32 AM
Jibar, I have a very hard time believing that swinging a controller around playing animated tennis compares to running around on an actual tennis court playing the game, or swimming laps in a pool, or running several miles. So you'll have to pardon me when I say I don't think that is true.

No, seriously. I can play something like football (English), rugby, tennis, any kind of sport for as long as I've played Wii Sports and no work up a sweat.
But a couple rounds of Boxing, Tennis, even Baseball can really get you worn out.
With Wii Sports you have three options really.
1. Sit in a chair and just flick the remote.
2. Stand up and do the motions.
3. Really try and pretend you're playing the game.
Number 3 is garunteed to get you worked up.

SacredStorm
2006-12-26, 09:50 PM
As a wrestler, I have a good idea on what can and cannot give someone a workout.* Playing WiiSports can build you up a sweat, and besides, it's fun! It's been nearly 10 years since my father played a video game with me, but now he just loves tennis on the Wii!

So don't assume waving a controller around will not work you out. I've seen people do curls with cans of tomato soup to define their biceps. (Lightweights haha!) The Wii gives you new fresh ways of playing the "same old thing."

*Running a mile, doing fifteen sets of stairs, and then wrestling for two hours is what it takes to work out my wrestling team everyday.

Gralamin
2006-12-26, 10:03 PM
My parents are looking for a wii, They tried to get one by Christmas but since they had jobs/one can't drive, they weren't able to.

Cybren
2006-12-26, 10:21 PM
It's not "Nintendo Wii", it's just Wii!

Gralamin
2006-12-26, 10:30 PM
It's not "Nintendo Wii", it's just Wii!

Have you tried saying that out loud when their are people who have no idea what a wii is around? You get strange looks. (Done a million times but: "I'm going to go home and play with my wii")

Eldred
2006-12-27, 05:03 AM
I've seen people do curls with cans of tomato soup to define their biceps. (Lightweights haha!)
Can't beat press-ups! :smallwink:

I'm also very addicted to Wii Sports, especially the tennis (not so much the golf, though). I haven't even played Marvel Ultimate Alliance, yet I got it on the same day as I got my Wii!

Also, does anyone know when the News Channel will be up and running?

Jibar
2006-12-27, 05:18 AM
Well, they said that both the forecast and news channels wouldn't be up until January at the very least, and forecast is up, so I guess news will be up soon.

@V As I've said, I've smacked my head on the lampshade a couple of times. It's why you want to make sure to maybe move a bit further back from the TV.

Archonic Energy
2006-12-27, 07:59 AM
No, seriously. I can play something like football (English), rugby, tennis, any kind of sport for as long as I've played Wii Sports and no work up a sweat.
But a couple rounds of Boxing, Tennis, even Baseball can really get you worn out.
With Wii Sports you have three options really.
1. Sit in a chair and just flick the remote.
2. Stand up and do the motions.
3. Really try and pretend you're playing the game.
Number 3 is garunteed to get you worked up.

and increases the chance of injurys/damages... my sister's Fiancee nearlly took out lampshades out... stupid tall person.

Saurous
2006-12-27, 08:08 AM
Well, I just got a Wii for Christmas, and I`m addicted to Wii sports. Marvel Alliance is fun, even though it isn't much different than the X-men Legends games.

This post brought to you by Wii internet :smallbiggrin:

Jack Squat
2006-12-27, 11:41 AM
Well, they said that both the forecast and news channels wouldn't be up until January at the very least, and forecast is up, so I guess news will be up soon.

The News Channel is due to be up on January 27th

Wiki Article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Wii_Channels)

Lawful_Stupid
2006-12-27, 05:07 PM
My family is also addicted to Wii Sports, specifically Bowling and Golf. And since we have 4 controllers (we actually have two systems, one for me and one for my brother who lives away at college), we play a lot.

Boxing and Tennis can make you really work up a sweat, even against some of the CPU opponents. If you "toolbox" it, to quote Penny Arcade, then you don't, but that's not really playing the game.

blue chicken
2006-12-27, 07:01 PM
Ah, golf! I love it! Golf and boxing are the stuff, but both of them are less accessible then bowling and tennis...my familly (including visiting grandparents!) all really love bowling.

Eldred
2006-12-28, 09:31 AM
Ah, golf! I love it! Golf and boxing are the stuff, but both of them are less accessible then bowling and tennis...my familly (including visiting grandparents!) all really love bowling. I love the bowling to bits - I'm a pro in it :smallsmile:
Got a nice sparkly bowling ball for it, too. Do you get a special thing for getting pro status in the other sports?

Jibar
2006-12-28, 10:07 AM
You get some gloves for boxing, I know that.

blue chicken
2006-12-28, 02:14 PM
Yup. Everything comes with its due reward. Some are just...a bit lamer than others...

Dire Penguin
2006-12-28, 03:25 PM
I find the fact that people have thrown the controllers through their TVs is hillarious...other than that, I've seen nothing.

The Demented One
2006-12-28, 09:35 PM
I really don't see how you could do that, unless you're just extremely careless. My eight year old sister swings the darn remote around like a madman when she's playing tennis, and we've not so much as had a close call.

Jibar
2006-12-29, 03:49 AM
It's a conspiracy... (http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.php?cdate=20061222)

Eldred
2006-12-29, 05:54 AM
Haha. And yet, surprisingly, I wouldn't even be surprised if Sony had done that...

RyanJ
2006-12-29, 10:44 AM
Apparently Amazon.com is going to be selling a supply of Wii's today at an unknown time between 10:00 and 1:00 EST. My girlfriend is attempting to get me one for my birthday. Kind of a sneaky way to sell them, but hey, they've got 50,000 people on there hitting refresh every 3 seconds.

Well... forget that! Sold out in 3 seconds!

neriana
2006-12-29, 07:55 PM

Or a joke. There is no way most of the pictures on that site could actually happen without various tools being used. I have not seen or heard of one real, verifiable case of anyone being so stupid. Also, though that remote is a sturdy little thing, like most things made by Nintendo, it is not made of titanium. In a contest between a remote and a TV, the TV would probably win. And anyone who doesn't move lamps out of the way first is just plain dumb. Oh noes, there is physical movement in the living room, what do we do now?

Yuki Akuma
2006-12-30, 06:40 AM
Or a joke. There is no way most of the pictures on that site could actually happen without various tools being used. I have not seen or heard of one real, verifiable case of anyone being so stupid. Also, though that remote is a sturdy little thing, like most things made by Nintendo, it is not made of titanium. In a contest between a remote and a TV, the TV would probably win. And anyone who doesn't move lamps out of the way first is just plain dumb. Oh noes, there is physical movement in the living room, what do we do now?

What? Where did you study physics?

Glass is very brittle, to start with, and the plastic used for most Nintendo products is quite sturdy (hence its ability to survive repeated falls onto concrete). A sturdy plastic object moving at several miles per hour can easily punch through glass and weaker metals (such as, say, silicon). The plastic used for the PCBs is a goner, as well.

Jibar
2006-12-30, 11:35 AM
If you search on that site long enough, you'll find a guy who broke a portable TV. 6 inch screen.
That one just can't be real.

blue chicken
2006-12-30, 02:06 PM
They also hurt if you get hit in the side of the head with one. Mind those wild guests...owie...

noweezernoworld
2007-02-26, 09:27 PM
There is no way I will ever get a Wii. for one, I think the motion controllers is one of the dumbest things invented. if I want to go play golf, I'll actually go to a course and play golf, not some lame imitation of it, or any similar activity for that matter. Besides, i'm perfectly happy with my Gamecube (which I bought for the sole reason of getting all the RE games), and since RE 5 isn't coming out on Wii, I have no reason to get it. On top of that Twilight Princess is also coming out on GC too. Based on the awful game selection for the original Xbox, I have no interest in getting an Xbox 360 either. Which leaves me with getting a PS3 when prices come down and RE 5 actually comes out.

you do know that there is an exclusive resident evil coming to the wii, right

That Lanky Bugger
2007-02-26, 09:33 PM
Based on the awful game selection for the original Xbox, I have no interest in getting an Xbox 360 either. Which leaves me with getting a PS3 when prices come down and RE 5 actually comes out.

You do, of course, realize that Microsoft is steadily wooing all of the third party developers they pissed off with the Xbox? Right now the 360 line up is looking pretty impressive, actually.

Haha. And yet, surprisingly, I wouldn't even be surprised if Sony had done that...

I would. It's a little too SUBTLE, especially with Sony's SixAxis being motion-sensoring as well.

RandomNPC
2007-02-27, 04:13 PM
I also have a sore head from headbutting the lampshade.

http://wiihaveaproblem.com/

enjoy, headbutting lamps is nothing.