PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack Question

SandSpider
2013-04-15, 01:01 AM
If a character has the Stunning Fist, Quick Draw, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting feats, could they make one unarmed strike and then use Quick Draw to attack with a dagger for the next five? If so, can they then make five consecutive sneak attacks if their Stunning Fist is successful? Any clarification would be much appreciated.

Kerilstrasz
2013-04-15, 01:13 AM
Ok that is simple enough...

1st of all.. if you Stunning fist succeeds the you can sneak attack
A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a –2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

2nd..
despite the name you can use Stunning fist with ANY unarmed strike..
thus, you can stun the target with a kick, an elbow or a knee hit! That means
you dont need Quick draw to draw your weapons mid round cause you allready
hold them.

So... unless if any of the above is wrong just hold your weaps, kick stun him
and continue your full attacks considering them sneak attacks.

Hyde
2013-04-15, 01:38 AM
If your unarmed strike does lethal damage, can't you sneak attack with it?

The Viscount
2013-04-15, 01:51 AM
Why are you drawing a dagger? Stunning fist requires IUS, and IUS means you can sneak attack with unarmed strikes. I do believe the attacks following a stunning fist would work as sneak attacks.

SandSpider
2013-04-15, 02:10 AM
despite the name you can use Stunning fist with ANY unarmed strike..
thus, you can stun the target with a kick, an elbow or a knee hit! That means
you dont need Quick draw to draw your weapons mid round cause you allready
hold them.

Ahh, I missed that! Beyond being mechanically useful, the idea of striking with an elbow and then following through with a blade is thematically awesome.

If your unarmed strike does lethal damage, can't you sneak attack with it?

I believe so, but the idea of the build is mostly to hit with Keen Kukris to get the most out of the Telling Blow feat (Deals sneak attack on critical hit). I'm considering picking up two Monk levels to compliment the Invisible Blade PRC, which allows you to add your Intelligence modifier to AC when not wearing any armor.

The idea of getting five sneak attacks in a round just seems too good to be true... with the Craven feat (Add character level to sneak attack damage) that could come out to an insane amount of damage.

Curmudgeon
2013-04-15, 03:07 AM
If you're using TWF rules, you must have a second, "off hand" weapon. (It doesn't actually have to be in your off hand, but it does need to be a different weapon than your "main hand" weapon — which also doesn't actually have to be using your main hand.) But, as the other posters have pointed out, you don't need Quick Draw; the second weapon can already be in hand. If you do succeed with your Stunning Fist attack you're set up to deal sneak attack on any remaining hits. In my experience, though, Stunning Fist opponents usually succeed on their Fortitude saves. Telling Blow is probably even less likely than Stunning Fist to enable sneak attack damage: you have to hit, you have to threaten a critical, and you have to confirm that critical hit.

While your total possible damage if everything works is high, in practice it rarely works out that way.

Arc_knight25
2013-04-15, 07:27 AM
If you want this to work out your going to need to get that BAB up. Ranger or Fighter levels is the way to go. Ranger to get the TWF feats for free or Fighter if your stats are good enough to take the TWF feats.

Other then my 2 cents, it seems your question has been answered.

SandSpider
2013-04-15, 04:52 PM
Yep, that definitely answers my question. Thank you all for the input! The general consensus seems to confirm that I should stick to my original build: Rogue 4, Swashbuckler 3, Invisible Blade 5, Master Thrower 5, Assassin 3. Gives me 18 BAB, 9d6 Sneak Attack, and several class features to help catch enemies flat-footed at range and in melee. And while I won't have Stunning Fist, there's nothing to stop me from finding poisons to accomplish similar effects...