PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Keep improving familiar during PrC's?

hisnamehere
2013-04-15, 10:53 AM
Is there a way to have arcane prestige classes count toward improving your familiar? I've seen Alienist, Arcane Heirophant, and Fleshwarper. But I want to be able to choose other PrC's.

Help me, giant-in-theplaygound, you're my only hope.

Diarmuid
2013-04-15, 11:00 AM
I think the most common method for doing this is to swap out the Familiar class benefit from Wiz or Sorc with an ACF and then take the "Obtain Familiar" feat which then is solely keyed off your Caster Level, not levels in a specific class.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-04-15, 11:01 AM
Yeah- trade away your familiar entirely for some ACF, and buy it back with the "Obtain Familiar" feat. It's keyed off your caster level.

Edit: Swordsage'd

hisnamehere
2013-04-15, 11:27 AM
I always went by the assumption that, if duplicating a class feature, feats (or spells or whatever) were supposed to be less powerful than the class features they were based off. Like how rage is less powerful than a barbarian's rage.
There has yet to be a consensus on just changing the Summon Familiar class feature to resemble the Obtain Familiar feat?

Eslin
2013-04-15, 11:37 AM
Class familiar is based on class level, the feat is based on caster level. That about sums it up.