PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With a Nymph Gestalt Build

Sugashane
2013-04-15, 11:00 AM
We were going to be running a campaign where each character was given a role, and they were supposed to optimize a build for that role, but that DM is withdrawing for personal reasons and won't be at game for at least a month or two, so someone else stepped up and changed the game design. Now we are all going to be playing a monstrous class in a gestalt game, and I came up with the Nymph.

The Nymph as 13 levels it takes up, but comes with some benefits. +6 DEX, +2 CON, +6 INT, +6 WIS, +8 CHA, Combat casting, Dodge, and Weapon Finesse as given feats, damage reduction 10/cold iron, a handful of special abilities and spellcasting as a 7th level Druid.

I was informed if I took a level of Druid it would advance the spellcasting of the nymph's natural abilities, but the class abilities would start at level one. I am thinking of doing a few different dips, such as Marshal and Paladin of Freedom for at least 2 levels (Divine Grace) and Battle Dancer.

Any input on how to make this a solid build?

Sugashane
2013-04-15, 03:15 PM
Interesting idea. If I gained a level of spellcasting at every uneven level (1,3,5, etc) could I take a level of Druid on the other side of the build every even level? I could then still be a 20th level caster at level 20 and I still won't have to worry about my caster level being over ECL or anything. Then once the LA and RHD levels are done I could take druid on the same side and use the other for more passive class abilities or BAB.

Mishkov
2013-04-15, 08:18 PM
Interesting idea. If I gained a level of spellcasting at every uneven level (1,3,5, etc) could I take a level of Druid on the other side of the build every even level? I could then still be a 20th level caster at level 20 and I still won't have to worry about my caster level being over ECL or anything. Then once the LA and RHD levels are done I could take druid on the same side and use the other for more passive class abilities or BAB.

I would definitely do that if you have the option. Your pet and wild shape will be delayed though. So, you could either go something like master of many forms to supplement this or ignore that and go something else.

Monk (or ninja) dips are strong options. It really depends on what you want to do with this character.

Sugashane
2013-04-15, 10:35 PM
I would definitely do that if you have the option. Your pet and wild shape will be delayed though. So, you could either go something like master of many forms to supplement this or ignore that and go something else.

Monk (or ninja) dips are strong options. It really depends on what you want to do with this character.

That is one thing that has thrown me a bit. We don't have roles, just can make them work. With a 13 level adjustment I likely could not fill another class's spell progression, and even will miss out on much of the Druid's class abilities (though variants might minimize loss, I'll have to look through them). I might just aim to make the character the druid spellcaster with a number of dips to round out her effectiveness or even go into Planar Shepard. I'd have to wait until I'm done with the monster levels or do only take it in even levels. Working through a few builds.

I would like to add a ninja or monk class to it, but with her being chaotic good, I'm pretty sure those are out unless I missed a variant.

Edit- Even if there is not a class I can take to add WIS to AC, I can still get the monk belt. 13,000gp for a solid bonus if rolls are even average before the ability increase gained from the monster levels.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-15, 10:54 PM
Since you won't be using most of the druid class features, you can trade them out. Drop armor and shield proficiency and wild shape for a monk's AC bonus, fast movement, favored enemy, track, and swift tracker. Trade your animal companion for an urban companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), since its abilities are based off your character level rather than class level.

Also check this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732) out.

Once you finish your nymph HD and LA, consider a divine prestige class. Druids don't normally take them, since they don't advance wildshape or animal companions, but you don't have them. Divine Oracle is nice (evasion and a good domain for a two-level dip). On the other side, maybe incarnate? A nice passive class to back up your casting.

Also consider taking Wild Cohort. A lot of the druid's power comes from buffing animals, which you can't do without an animal.

Sugashane
2013-04-15, 11:15 PM
Since you won't be using most of the druid class features, you can trade them out. Drop armor and shield proficiency and wild shape for a monk's AC bonus, fast movement, favored enemy, track, and swift tracker. Trade your animal companion for an urban companion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a), since its abilities are based off your character level rather than class level.

Also check this (http://www.giantitp.com/showthread.php?t=125732) out.

Once you finish your nymph HD and LA, consider a divine prestige class. Druids don't normally take them, since they don't advance wildshape or animal companions, but you don't have them. Divine Oracle is nice (evasion and a good domain for a two-level dip). On the other side, maybe incarnate? A nice passive class to back up your casting.

Also consider taking Wild Cohort. A lot of the druid's power comes from buffing animals, which you can't do without an animal.

Good find on the variant. I've been using the X to Y for a few builds, just had not gotten to it much yet.

I found an obvious flaw in my build.... She is chaotic good, no neutral in any way. I can't take druid. I guess I'll have to make a plea with the DM that she is already a Druid by her being (as evidenced by naturally knowing their spells), and see if he'll let me take the Simple Variant so it'll basically be the normal progression for her.

I appreciate the help guys, all input is appreciated.

Sugashane
2013-04-15, 11:58 PM
So far at 20th level she should have:
Cha to AC twice for at least +20 total to AC (deflection from Nymph and Cha from Battle Dancer) Math was assuming 18, plus +8 for monster progression, +5 from levels= 31 minimum (+10 modifier)
Normal Dex to AC- Minimum +5 (Assuming a 14 roll with the +5 from monster progression)
Wis to AC- +4 (Assuming at least a 12 roll, with the +6 monster progression, and the +1 from the Monk belt acting as a 5th level druid)
Total- Min AC without any magic is a 39, 38 without the belt due to the Simple Druid variant. Not too shabby if mixing with Druid spellcasting, sold saves, and

I could squeeze out more with a few levels of duelist to complement the +6 to INT or by focusing heavily on on Factotum and getting to 16th level in it.

I also stand corrected as ninjas have no alignment prerequisites.

Draz74
2013-04-15, 11:59 PM
You neglected to mention her second-best racial feature: Unearthly Grace, which lets you add her CHA to saves and AC even without taking Paladin/Battle Dancer/etc. (Although the AC bonus, at the least, should stack, since it's specifically a deflection bonus. And by RAW the save bonus would probably stack with Divine Grace as well, although as a DM I'd likely nix that.)

Is any homebrew allowed? Rich Burlew's homebrew on the sticky thread in this very forum included a few feats specifically intended for fey/druid types, one of which changed their racial Druidic casting to be Charisma-based instead of Wisdom-based.

In general, I'd try to gear the other side of the progression towards warrior-type classes, since Fey hit dice already give good skills and magical abilities and Reflex/Will, but their hit points/BAB/Fortitude are pretty sad.

Hey, you could do a Suel Arcanamach build opposite the Nymph. That would be pretty cool -- the Arcanamach has a pretty good chassis to put opposite your Level Adjustment levels, and the classes that lead up to it could facilitate your desire to pick up several nice dips (Paladin of Freedom 2 / Battle Dancer 1 / Duskblade 3 is an excellent entry to Arcanamach). And then you could have dual-casting ... and your Arcanamach features can give free Extend to some of your Druid buffs, and you can go into Abjurant Champion to get more free Extend and Quicken effects.

Sugashane
2013-04-16, 12:32 AM
You neglected to mention her second-best racial feature: Unearthly Grace, which lets you add her CHA to saves and AC even without taking Paladin/Battle Dancer/etc. (Although the AC bonus, at the least, should stack, since it's specifically a deflection bonus. And by RAW the save bonus would probably stack with Divine Grace as well, although as a DM I'd likely nix that.)

Is any homebrew allowed? Rich Burlew's homebrew on the sticky thread in this very forum included a few feats specifically intended for fey/druid types, one of which changed their racial Druidic casting to be Charisma-based instead of Wisdom-based.

In general, I'd try to gear the other side of the progression towards warrior-type classes, since Fey hit dice already give good skills and magical abilities and Reflex/Will, but their hit points/BAB/Fortitude are pretty sad.

Hey, you could do a Suel Arcanamach build opposite the Nymph. That would be pretty cool -- the Arcanamach has a pretty good chassis to put opposite your Level Adjustment levels, and the classes that lead up to it could facilitate your desire to pick up several nice dips (Paladin of Freedom 2 / Battle Dancer 1 / Duskblade 3 is an excellent entry to Arcanamach). And then you could have dual-casting ... and your Arcanamach features can give free Extend to some of your Druid buffs, and you can go into Abjurant Champion to get more free Extend and Quicken effects.

We must have been typing at the exact same time, as I posted just a minute before you on that. lol

I have honestly never even looked at Suel Arcanamach, so I will need a bit of time to absorb it. Would it be more beneficial then say, Sha'ir from Dragon Compendium? Sha'ir is a base arcane class that is dependent upon CHA, and could lead to the Arcane Hierophant after 3 levels of Druid and 3 of Shai'ir.

I highly doubt homebrew is allowed but since my LA/RHD is 5 or more than any other player's I might get to use one or two feats. Thank you, I'll check them out and bring them to the DM next game to see if he's good with it.

I forgot to mention, it is a weekly game and he does a neat deal, where every 5 sessions played and survived you get a bonus feat of your choice, provided you meet the prereqs for it of course.