PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Prestige?

GutterFace
2013-04-15, 01:03 PM
so my friend has a Ranger (we are at level 1 now), he's got 2 weapon fighting, and is melee oriented. he plans on a wolf (like) companion when he gets one.

he asked what a good prestige for Ranger would be; as i have never had one, i am turning to you playground!

he wants something he can qualify for that's good at fighting, and possibly will advance his animal companion.

does anyone have suggestions?

Zanfire
2013-04-15, 01:17 PM
Dervish is a good PrC for 2wf and Ranger is an entry option, but won't do anything for his wolf :-/

Darrin
2013-04-15, 01:41 PM
so my friend has a Ranger (we are at level 1 now), he's got 2 weapon fighting, and is melee oriented. he plans on a wolf (like) companion when he gets one.

Due to Ranger levels being divided in half to determine an Animal Companion's abilities, the Ranger's animal companion is very, very weak. It's basically a bloodsmear waiting to happen. Your friend is better off taking the Distracting Attack ACF (PHBII) or Spiritual Companion ACF (Complete Champion) instead of an Animal Companion. He can then get a much stronger animal companion by taking the Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat. A dip into Silverwood Outrider (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031202a) gives him the same advantages as a druid's animal companion (Handle Animal as a free action), but the Wild Cohort still gets stronger as his character level (rather than class level) goes up.

he asked what a good prestige for Ranger would be; as i have never had one, i am turning to you playground!

A 1-level dip into Sneak Attack Fighter and then four levels of Highland Stalker (Complete Adventurer) would allow him to pick up the Swift Hunter feat. Doesn't do anything for the animal companion, though.

Beastmaster (Complete Adventurer) can give him a stronger animal companion, although it's generally considered mostly as a dip.

Lion of Talisid (Book of Exalted Deeds) advances the animal companion as a druid (even if you're a ranger), but it requires an [Exalted] feat, which can be a bit of a pain.

Beast Heart Adept (Dungeonscape) allows you to take a magical beast as a "monstrous companion". He could get a Blink Dog or Worg, for example. After three levels, he could upgrade to a Winter Wolf. These magical beasts are a little bit tougher than animal companions, but don't progress all that quickly (only over 10 prestige class levels). Also, since they aren't actually animal companions, a lot of feats/items/abilities that work with animal companions don't work with monstrous companions.

GutterFace
2013-04-15, 02:17 PM
awesome point. thanks. ill pass the word along, this should be a great help.

Diovid
2013-04-15, 02:18 PM
If he wants a useful animal companion, he could take 1 level of Beastmaster and then go into Animal Lord and he could take the Natural Bond feat (both these prcs and the feat are from Complete Adventurer).

Nettlekid
2013-04-15, 02:20 PM
If he's Neutral Good, I recommend the Stalker of Kharash PrC from Book of Exalted Deeds. You get Favored Enemy (Evil). Any Evil creature (not Evil subtype or anything, absolutely any creature with an alignment Evil) will be a FE. And it works great with the Nemesis feat.

Person_Man
2013-04-15, 03:01 PM
If you want your Animal Companion to survive, the best thing you can do is to ride it as a mount and take Mounted Combat, or just have it avoid combat all together. Otherwise, it's just going to get creamed.

GutterFace
2013-04-15, 03:31 PM
If you want your Animal Companion to survive, the best thing you can do is to ride it as a mount and take Mounted Combat, or just have it avoid combat all together. Otherwise, it's just going to get creamed.

yea he figured as much. it looks like he will end up with a scout bird of some sort or a horse to ride pre combat and hang with me in the rear (caster)

Daftendirekt
2013-04-15, 05:00 PM
I'm confused about the part where he has TWF at level 1 when he gets it for free from his fighting style at level 2...

GutterFace
2013-04-15, 05:50 PM
I'm confused about the part where he has TWF at level 1 when he gets it for free from his fighting style at level 2...

yea i went back and asked him. he doesnt have it yet but will be going that path

Vaz
2013-04-15, 06:12 PM
Complete Mage; Favoured Enemy (Arcanist) ACF
Harper Paragon; Favoured Enemy (Evil)

Power Attack, Nemesis (Arcanist), Nemesis (Evil), Favoured Power Attack, Wise to your Ways

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-15, 10:06 PM
Nentyar Hunter from Unapproachable East gets 5 levels of casting from a pretty nice spell list (including choices like Righteous Might and Control Wind iirc), tracking abilities full BA and a CL based on NH level + 1/2 Ranger levels in 5 class levels. Maybe worth a gander.