PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon Bombings

DraPrime
2013-04-15, 03:00 PM
So as some of you may have already heard, two explosions (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-boston-marathon-explosion-20130415,0,641755.story) went off at the Boston Marathon today. As of yet, the cause of these explosions is unknown. As someone from the Boston area, I'm quite shaken by this. My thoughts and prayers go out to those hurt by this, and all their loved ones.

Mikhailangelo
2013-04-15, 03:04 PM
All I can say is that I hope everyone involved is as ok as they possibly can be. It's a dreadful situation.

Traab
2013-04-15, 03:11 PM
23 injured 2 dead so far, according to the boston police. A third device was found and apparently set off in a controlled manner by the police.

LaZodiac
2013-04-15, 03:14 PM
All I can say is that I hope everyone involved is as ok as they possibly can be. It's a dreadful situation.

Well, not EVERYONE. The guys who made the bombs, for instance.

Anyway, on more important matters. My condolences to all those hurt by this, and if you live in Boston, see about donating blood.

Mikhailangelo
2013-04-15, 03:15 PM
Sky news is reporting three dead. The BBC seems to have the more accurate report though.
That said, frankly one is too many.

Mikhailangelo
2013-04-15, 03:16 PM
Well, not EVERYONE. The guys who made the bombs, for instance.

Anyway, on more important matters. My condolences to all those hurt by this, and if you live in Boston, see about donating blood.

Slightly poor word choice there I'll admit...

valadil
2013-04-15, 03:20 PM
Sky news is reporting three dead. The BBC seems to have the more accurate report though.

Given some of the images I've seen, 3 dead is better than I'd hoped for.

I'm in Cambridge (across the river) and haven't really been able to focus on work for obvious reasons. Facebook is full of people checking in that they're okay.

This sucks.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-15, 03:35 PM
I...I should go do that...

russdm
2013-04-15, 03:46 PM
There has been an update by the new york post from law officials: "atleast 12 dead, and 50 injuried". link with updating info (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/live-updates-explosion-near-boston-marathon-finish-line-192213861.html)

Police have confirmed 2 dead, new york post's 12 dead uncomfirmed

boston globe reports 64 injuried...

an explosion at JFK Library has been confirmed by boston police

HandofShadows
2013-04-15, 04:13 PM
I have seen a lot of reports that peoples legs where injured. Sounds like a fragmentary type of device that concentrated on lower limbs. Many anti personel landmines do the same thing.

This is certanly some sort of terrorist attack. My condolances to those injured, their families and those who lost loved ones. This is bad.

Traab
2013-04-15, 04:19 PM
The folks at the library said mechanical fire, police commisioner says explosion. Its a bit murky atm. An honestly this is one of the things I hate about the 24 hour insta news. There is so much confusion that wont be cleared up for a few hours to a day from now and until then all sorts of statements will be released then be countered.

Dal
2013-04-15, 05:32 PM
Oh, gods...why?

I have a burning desire to see the THING that did this get strung up.:furious: I think I have an idea as to who did this and why, but for the sake of not starting an argument, I'm just gonna keep my trap shut for now. The bastard that did this has gotten enough attention as it is.

Condolences from us here in New York.

Gamerlord
2013-04-15, 06:04 PM
My deepest condolences to all affected by this tragedy. :smallfrown: At least it's good to hear so many people are trying to help.

DSCrankshaw
2013-04-15, 06:16 PM
I was working in Downtown Boston today. Not on the marathon route, but not very far away. So far, I haven't heard of anyone I know being injured, but I know people who were running and who were attending. I hope everyone's all right.

Aadst1
2013-04-15, 06:19 PM
I have seen a lot of reports that peoples legs where injured. Sounds like a fragmentary type of device that concentrated on lower limbs. Many anti personnel landmines do the same thing.

From what I've heard from other viewers in the area, the devices were apparently created in such a way as to generate shrapnel in a manner similar to a shotgun shell; wrapped in ball bearings, or some such. WBUR in Boston (streaming available through their website, or www.nhpr.org) is reporting the bombs targetted extremities, and required a large number of amputations.

I'm some ways up in New Hampshire, and I'm terrified of needles, but I'll be inquiring about doing so just as soon as I sober up tomorrow. I volunteered to serve my country in the Navy for 6 years after 9/11, and this just sickens me. In the meantime, I'll be drinking all the beer in my fridge (which is as much as you'd expect from an ex-sailor) and wishing I could get my hands on those responsible.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-15, 06:21 PM
Oh, gods...why?

I have a burning desire to see the THING that did this get strung up.:furious: I think I have an idea as to who did this and why, but for the sake of not starting an argument, I'm just gonna keep my trap shut for now. The bastard that did this has gotten enough attention as it is.

Yeah, prettymuch my reaction.

And one of the dead was an eight year old kid.

Damn. :smallfrown:

Don Julio Anejo
2013-04-15, 06:28 PM
Honestly at a loss for words :smallfurious:

Seriously, a bleeping marathon?

DraPrime
2013-04-15, 07:00 PM
If the news station that I'm watching is reliable, there is apparently supposed to be a press conference in half an hour involving all the agencies investigating this.

TheTyrantis
2013-04-15, 07:07 PM
My father used to do the Boston Marathon. Good thing he didn't go this year, I don't know what I would do if someone I knew got hurt because some psycho wanted to blow people up.

Condolences to everyone who got injured for nothing.

IsaacTheHungry
2013-04-15, 07:15 PM
With injuries like these, fast response and first aid are important to increase the servival chance. The fact that a large number of medical tents and waiting amblences there for the marathon probably saved a lot of lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/04/15/dr-manny-medical-personnel-on-site-in-boston-saved-countless-lives/

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-15, 07:27 PM
Is there a list of the people injured and killed up yet? I haven't heard from my friend all day, and he was off from college today. He's probably holed up in the library studying, but I worry.

tensai_oni
2013-04-15, 07:35 PM
I hate to be that sort of guy, but someone made a threat of sort on fourchan today, and, well... (http://boards.4chan.org/mu/res/35150163#p35150270)

Why should we take anything written on 4chan seriously, most of all a generic rage comment that just happened to have very, VERY bad timing?

I have a burning desire to see the THING that did this get strung up.:furious: I think I have an idea as to who did this and why, but for the sake of not starting an argument, I'm just gonna keep my trap shut for now.

Keep a cool head. Jumping to conclusions and blaming someone when we don't even KNOW who the perpetrator is yet, is how some really bad things start. Raging on an internet forum won't help the victims any.

Or if you really have a strong suspicion you know who did it, call the police.

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-15, 07:37 PM
Coffee:

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Auoezcj1piOadHFUTXE0dUtoUmtZQUZqTjVualgtTX c&usp=sharing

Ravens_cry
2013-04-15, 07:50 PM
My great sorrow and shared condolences to those affected by this tragedy.
And to those who did it, I have but one word for you.
"Why?"
How did you think this act would better the world? What goals do you have this atrocity would further?

THEChanger
2013-04-15, 07:59 PM
Boston resident. Currently, here is what we know.

-Two bombs did indeed go off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. They were crude, most likely home-made bombs, filled with ballbearings.

-There was a fire in the JFK Library nearby, most likely caused by an incendiary device.

-Two people are confirmed dead, one of which was an eight-year-old child. 100+ people are injured.

-There is a person of interest currently being questioned at Mass General (differing reports on which hospital the person is being housed at). Law enforcement officers are stressing that the person being questioned is not under arrest, and their exact connection to the case has not yet been established.

-No prior intelligence of the attack.

-Links have already been posted to the Google Personfinder.

Today was scary. I was asleep when the attack happened, since we had the day off from classes. I woke up to multiple texts asking where I was, if I was okay, etc., and before I could respond, a friend called me in hysterics. My college has been on lockdown all day, only persons with college IDs being allowed into any of the buildings. My common room has had the news on constantly, and while it was almost too much to bear...I couldn't leave. I'm still not sure why. CNN kept playing the one clip they had of the bombs going off, and I was brought to tears multiple times. But I guess I felt I needed to watch. To let it get burned into my mind. A "We must never forget." sort of feeling. I'm just so sick of people getting hurt during things that are supposed to be happy, unifying occasions. The race was for charity, for Pete's sake.

TheThan
2013-04-15, 08:11 PM
I heard that the fire at the JFK library was not related.
My heart goes out to everyone struck by this outrage. But I have only one thing to say:

Do not let this scare you into submission. As soon as you capitulate to the terror, the terrorists win. Don’t give them that satisfaction, don’t let them beat you.

Kasanip
2013-04-15, 08:20 PM
I hope everyone is ok. :smallfrown:

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-15, 09:22 PM
Coffee:

http://google.org/personfinder/2013-boston-explosions/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0Auoezcj1piOadHFUTXE0dUtoUmtZQUZqTjVualgtTX c&usp=sharing

Thanks. I ended up calling his parents since I couldn't reach his cellphone. Turns out he'd lost it again and he's okay.

Melayl
2013-04-15, 10:40 PM
My prayers go out to all those who are affected. This was a horrible, vile act, obviously perpetrated by a pathetic coward(s).

As others have said, don't jump to conclusions about who did it -- we don't want to multiply the tragedy by wrongfully targeting innocents ourselves.

As TheThan said, do not let this bend or break any of you, because then the bastards win.

Ozfer
2013-04-15, 10:49 PM
I am shocked that anyone would want to do this for any reason. Aside from the deaths, imagine the trauma of the poor people who witnessed this.

Aramyth
2013-04-15, 10:53 PM
Really saddens me to see such a tragedy befall Boston, and my prayers go out to those who have been affected by it. But, I am really ticked off by people now spreading supposedly "legit" images of Facebook pages made for the explosions days before. This irritates me to no end, and completely shifts the focus from those who were injured to trying to simply start a conspiracy theory. Again, prayers to those injured and those affected.

Ghostwheel
2013-04-15, 11:02 PM
Say this with me, everyone: NOT SCARED!

Fear is what terroristic attacks are designed to evoke (by definition). I would have been afraid for my life if I had been there. But if my job would send me to a high-risk city tommorow, I would just do my job. I am not going to let small, cowardly people who kill random civilians change any thing about my life.

Join me.

TSGames
2013-04-16, 04:13 AM
There has been an update by the new york post from law officials: "atleast 12 dead, and 50 injuried". link with updating info (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/live-updates-explosion-near-boston-marathon-finish-line-192213861.html)

Police have confirmed 2 dead, new york post's 12 dead uncomfirmed

boston globe reports 64 injuried...

an explosion at JFK Library has been confirmed by boston police
I have it from a credible sourc (http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston-marathon-explosions/index.html)e that as of two hours ago, only 3 are confirmed dead. There are conflicting reports, but it seems as though the bombs did not include shrapnel in their design. Still waiting on updates.

chrismorries
2013-04-16, 04:48 AM

Cuthalion
2013-04-16, 08:45 AM
Some friends I know just left Boston... Wow. Condolences for all affected by this.

Haruki-kun
2013-04-16, 09:16 AM
A friend of mine was running in the marathon. Since she was running we couldn't get in contact with her for about half an hour and had no idea if she was OK. Eventually one of her Boston friends got in contact with her and she said she was OK. Scariest 30 minutes ever.

Togath
2013-04-16, 09:29 AM
I do wonder why news and such always blame terrorists before "crazy murdering guy who killed these people because he's just plain nuts".
Just seems weird for place reporting on events like this to monger fear instead of reassuring people that it's likely only one guy who worked alone to commit this crime.

LaZodiac
2013-04-16, 09:31 AM
I do wonder why news and such always blame terrorists before "crazy murdering guy who killed these people because he's just plain nuts".
Just seems weird for place reporting on events like this to monger fear instead of reassuring people that it's likely only one guy who worked alone to commit this crime.

News stations are business, and sensationilizing the news gets them views and thus money. It's horrible that they have to do this, especially during a time like this.

razark
2013-04-16, 09:57 AM
Because we can deal with terrorism. We know how to handle it and can apply a "why it happened" a lot easier. It helps people to think "It happened because X, and that's why I'm safe.", but if it's just some crazy guy, they have no reason to think it couldn't happen to them.

Karoht
2013-04-16, 10:20 AM
I had what was on record as one of the best monday's I ever had.
Work didn't dump on me.
Had a great dinner, had a great evening with family.
Had a further excellent evening of gaming.
Yep, I had a pretty good day.

I would trade it all away for my worst monday ever, if it ment that Boston had a better one.

My condolences and well wishes go out to everyone impacted.
Good luck. Be safe. Be without fear. We'll get through this together.

Skeppio
2013-04-16, 10:26 AM
I can't think of any words that haven't already been said. All I can think is: :smallfrown:

Morph Bark
2013-04-16, 10:30 AM
I've heard the news.

I just... I just don't know why. :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2013-04-16, 01:38 PM

This being committed by one crazy guy doesn't preclude it from being an act of terrorism.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-04-16, 02:00 PM
I was in class when I got a call from my girlfriend that there was an (at the time, there had only been one) explosion at the boston marathon. She could hear it from her house. Then every phone in the room went off at the same time; apparently I wasn't the only one who subscribed to the MIT alert system after the gunman hoax (http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/02/24/mit/OM7GsBTxQn0Jm7QcS59ooN/story.html) a little while back. I got a text, an email, another text, then another email as the second bomb went off.

razark
2013-04-16, 02:24 PM
This being committed by one crazy guy doesn't preclude it from being an act of terrorism.
Motive does. If the filth did it to simply kill as many people as he could, it's just mass murder. If he did it to try and influence people to accomplish a goal, it's terrorism.

TheThan
2013-04-16, 03:53 PM
A lot of people are asking why this happened. Well Alfred knows why (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHCdKb5UWc)
He’s right you know, some beings are just monsters that want noting but to destroy.

SiuiS
2013-04-16, 04:10 PM
The folks at the library said mechanical fire, police commisioner says explosion. Its a bit murky atm. An honestly this is one of the things I hate about the 24 hour insta news. There is so much confusion that wont be cleared up for a few hours to a day from now and until then all sorts of statements will be released then be countered.

Mechanical fire and explosion aren't contradictory, although one needs to take into account people want ot control panic.

Yeah, terrorist sort of implies a specific string of organizations acting on specific principles. Unfportunately, discussing the word terrorist gets political in a jiffy.

Being a psychopath doesn't mean it wasn't terrorism, but I am hesitant to say this was anything other than one person being a terrible human being. I doubt they had motive beyond feeding off of recent events and raw emotions, otherwise.. the damage could have been much more severe, with almost no additional effort.

TechnoScrabble
2013-04-16, 04:29 PM
Say this with me, everyone: NOT SCARED!

Fear is what terroristic attacks are designed to evoke (by definition). I would have been afraid for my life if I had been there. But if my job would send me to a high-risk city tommorow, I would just do my job. I am not going to let small, cowardly people who kill random civilians change any thing about my life.

Join me.

Yeah, when you let the terror and anger get to you, the terrorist wins.

That said, I wouldn't mind keeping whoever's behind this locked up in my basement for some quality time between me, them, and various tools that would probably be better used for gardening and house repair.

Ashtagon
2013-04-16, 04:41 PM
I admire this American resolve in the face of terrorism. The British response when it happened here was slightly less resolute (http://www.iam****ingterrified.com/).

warty goblin
2013-04-16, 05:21 PM
I am very saddened by this. What a despicable thing to do, regardless of the reasons.

Temotei
2013-04-17, 04:59 AM
I had what was on record as one of the best monday's I ever had.

It was the hardest day of my life. I'm an hour and a half away from home and my best friend, puppy, dog...Hoover died.

And then this. I hadn't even heard about it until yesterday because I spent all of Monday crying and dreaming of saving my dog.

Just...so sad. Why do things like this happen? Why can't people live in peace? :smallfrown:

EDIT: And why does the goddamn Westboro Baptist Church try to picket funerals? :smallfurious:

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-17, 05:19 AM
EDIT: And why does the goddamn Westboro Baptist Church try to picket funerals? :smallfurious:

It's unfortunate we can't even go here on these boards, because those guys. :smallannoyed: They don't expect anyone to agree with them. They're doing what they can to remain relevant and get attention on the news.

warty goblin
2013-04-17, 08:22 AM

Because otherwise nobody will try to stop them, so they can sue and get large piles of money in settlement. Think of them as a vile sort of canary in the religious freedoms coal mine; as long as they continue to protest at kids' funerals, the rest of us can keep doing whatever we're into in relative security.

Asta Kask
2013-04-17, 08:41 AM
Disgusting.

Palanan
2013-04-17, 10:08 AM
A distant member of my family is a college student in Boston. She's been pretty rattled over the past couple of days.

Just this morning she received a phone call that her father had been killed in a traffic accident late last night. He'd just called her the night before to talk about everything in Boston. She's on a plane home right now.

Killer Angel
2013-04-17, 12:52 PM
One of the things that saddened me the most, was to see the explosion just near all the world's flags. It was symbolic, and terrific. :smallfrown:

Asta Kask
2013-04-17, 12:55 PM
And we're all very sorry about Björn Ulvaeus here in Sweden. And he is very sorry as well.

Karoht
2013-04-17, 12:59 PM
And we're all very sorry about Björn Ulvaeus here in Sweden. And he is very sorry as well.
Um, what does a former member of ABBA have to do with the bombings in Boston?
Was he there? Was he hurt?

Komodo
2013-04-17, 01:09 PM
To those likely to visit this forum before other news sources:

Fox news just confirmed the arrest of a suspect in connection with these bombings. The suspect's identity not yet revealed, but it is believed that he was caught on video dropping a black bag at the marathon.

My heart goes out to the victims. May the truth be revealed.

EDIT: ignore the above announcement, Fox just retracted their former report. Well, I suppose that's what I get for getting my info from Fox News. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0539.html)

Asta Kask
2013-04-17, 01:15 PM
Um, what does a former member of ABBA have to do with the bombings in Boston?
Was he there? Was he hurt?

He made a joke about it on BBC yesterday. Not funny. And he apologises.

He said:
The reporter asked him how he stayed fit and he replied "Well, running's very healthy. Unless you run in the Boston Marathon."

Karoht
2013-04-17, 02:20 PM
Ah. Thanks for clearing that up Asta.

pendell
2013-04-17, 02:31 PM
Update: I'm putting this in spoilers because I haven't got the hang of reposting twitter tags. But the American Red Cross reports that, thanks to an outpouring of volunteers, they have adequate blood to meet the emergency. If you wish to help, consider a financial donation.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Thanks to generosity of volunteer blood donors there is currently enough blood on the shelves to meet demand. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BostonMarathon">#BostonMarathon</a></p>&mdash; American Red Cross (@RedCross) <a href="https://twitter.com/RedCross/status/323901009795629056">April 15, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If anyone has some other useful alternatives to assist, it wouldn't hurt to repost them here :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-17, 07:50 PM
If anyone has some other useful alternatives to assist, it wouldn't hurt to repost them here :).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

A lot of people are going to need prosthetic limbs. Especially children, who are going to need new ones every few years as they grow. And prostheses aren't cheap.

Togath
2013-04-17, 11:10 PM
A lot of people are going to need prosthetic limbs. Especially children, who are going to need new ones every few years as they grow. And prostheses aren't cheap.

ah, it was that scale of explosion, ouch, had assumed they would be fine after a day or two(didn't realize the damage was on the "obliterate their legs" level.. hopefully the sick bastard who did this atrocity will be brought to "justice"[aka a painful death, or life in solitary confinement] soon)

Starwulf
2013-04-17, 11:30 PM
ah, it was that scale of explosion, ouch, had assumed they would be fine after a day or two(didn't realize the damage was on the "obliterate their legs" level.. hopefully the sick bastard who did this atrocity will be brought to "justice"[aka a painful death, or life in solitary confinement] soon)

The person(or should I say "thing", not sure they deserve a place in humanity) that did this, basically made home-made claymore mines. Just instead of ball-bearings they were using nails and other small sharp objects. It was less of a "kill lots of people" kind of thing, and more of a "Let's see how many people I can cripple for life" kind of thing.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-04-18, 12:05 AM
Killings with no reason, no motive, and no positive outcome for anyone? Why...
And then ball bearings? That's just salt on the wounds. Heck, that's just causing permanent, prolonged suffering.

Asta Kask
2013-04-18, 02:14 AM
The person(or should I say "thing", not sure they deserve a place in humanity)

Killings with no reason, no motive, and no positive outcome for anyone?

Sounds like a human to me.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-18, 02:16 AM
Sounds like a human to me.

Yeah, sadly. :smallfrown:

TSGames
2013-04-18, 04:37 AM
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man's death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
John Donne

Just thought this was appropriate.

pendell
2013-04-18, 08:32 AM
Update: There has been a tragedy in Texas (http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/18/report-60-70-dead-in-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion/) this morning, so might be good to stop by the blood bank after all. Evidently there was an explosion at a fertilizer plant which killed 15 and wounded 150.

Appears to be entirely accidental.

Human negligence is far more lethal than actual malice, evidently.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Finlam
2013-04-18, 09:04 AM
Update: There has been a tragedy in Texas (http://hotair.com/archives/2013/04/18/report-60-70-dead-in-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion/) this morning, so might be good to stop by the blood bank after all. Evidently there was an explosion at a fertilizer plant which killed 15 and wounded 150.

Appears to be entirely accidental.

Human negligence is far more lethal than actual malice, evidently.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
The stories of the accident are rather terribly incredible. Allegedly, it could be heard 75 miles away in Dallas. There's also a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA&feature=youtu.be)up of the explosion. Hopefully the child is OK.

KuReshtin
2013-04-18, 09:41 AM
There's a separate thread already for the Texas Explosion.

Terrible week so far.

It appears that Patriot's Day week has had a whole bunch of bad things happen historically.
The Waco seige finished on April 19, 1993.
Oklahoma City bombing was on April 19, 1995.
Columbine was on April 20, 1999.
Virginia Tech was on April 16, 2007.
And now this. :smalleek:

Asta Kask
2013-04-18, 10:01 AM
If there's an explosion near Waco 20 years after the siege at Waco I'd investigate very carefully whether it was an explosion. There are groups for whom the siege at Waco has huge significance.

razark
2013-04-18, 10:13 AM
And sometimes plants full of chemicals burn or explode.

Let's let them worry about getting people safe before we start throwing around conspiracy theories.

Finlam
2013-04-18, 10:22 AM
Terrible week so far.

While we're on the subject. It does seem like there has at least been a little justice this week. The FBI has made an arrest (http://news.yahoo.com/fbi-arrests-mississippi-man-ricin-letter-case-021327673.html) in relation to the Ricin mailings that happened this week. I also hear that the police have a suspect in mind (http://nation.time.com/2013/04/17/feds-deny-reports-of-boston-suspect-in-custody/) for the Boston Marathon Bombing. Hopefully the wheels of justice keep right on spinning.

Togath
2013-04-18, 10:30 AM
Aren't the letters a political subject?

pendell
2013-04-18, 10:34 AM
The simple statement "an arrest has been made in the ricin mailings case" is not political. Speculation on the suspect's motives, and whether his conduct was excusable or justifiable, WOULD be political. Which is why no one's doing it. :smallamused:

Plenty of other things to talk about, such as how we can help those who have suffered from these tragedies. Against such there is no forum policy.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-18, 05:05 PM
The FBI released a picture and video of the two suspects. Not sure if it's okay to link them here, but it's all over the news.

tensai_oni
2013-04-18, 06:59 PM
Congratulations, FBI. I'm sure it won't result in a series of false arrests (or worse) by hysterical crowds, aimed against innocent people whose only crime was happening to look somewhat like the suspects. Not even people who are confirmed to have been the perpetrators, but suspects.

Jack Squat
2013-04-18, 08:35 PM
Congratulations, FBI. I'm sure it won't result in a series of false arrests (or worse) by hysterical crowds, aimed against innocent people whose only crime was happening to look somewhat like the suspects. Not even people who are confirmed to have been the perpetrators, but suspects.

From what I've heard/read the FBI has unreleased videos of the suspects planting the devices. With how long they postponed releasing these photos, I'd say they're fairly certain that these guys were the ones who did it.

Besides, if these people see themselves and weren't the ones, they'll head down to the authorities to clear their name. Already happened with the kid who had his photo plastered everywhere when the NY Times pulled some images off of Reddit.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-18, 11:14 PM
Not to pick nits, but for the sake of nitpicking, it was the NY Post, not the Times that published the erroneous pictures.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-18, 11:24 PM
Ok, and now an M.I.T. police officer just got shot and killed!

(might not be connected, then again it might be.)

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-18, 11:47 PM
My best friend goes there; I'm going to be freaking out all night about this.

Chilingsworth
2013-04-19, 01:34 AM
Ok, now well, firefights, reports of bombs being thrown at police...

It's a mess down there!

Starwulf
2013-04-19, 01:34 AM
Apparently there is something major going on in Watertown, over 40 police cars there and FBI agents as well. Undetonated explosive devices are being discovered and what not. Man, can't we catch a break :-(

Thump
2013-04-19, 01:36 AM
I've been following on Fark; looks like one suspect was a Marathon bomber, unconfirmed reports that he died after being shot and pulled into custody.

EDIT: To cap off what';s happened;

Officer killed at MIT, car was stolen. Chase, then a state police SUV was stolen, moved into Watertown. One of the suspects was shot and now confirmed killed, while explosives were used, and a second officer was downed.

More to follow soon.

Starwulf
2013-04-19, 01:41 AM
This just makes me so sick to my stomach. I almost want to cry, so much craziness going on, all the lives lost.

Thump
2013-04-19, 01:47 AM
This just makes me so sick to my stomach. I almost want to cry, so much craziness going on, all the lives lost.

For me, it's the fact that I've become almost inured to this sort of news that scares the hell out of me; I was in frickin' kindergarten when 9/11 happened, grew up with the constant exposure to all of this, and all I can really say at this point is "Oh for the LOVE OF GOD, why can't they just get a hold of their freakin' country?"

Considering the constant political wrangling, the refusing of anyone to get anything done, and the overall crap that's going on... :smallfurious:

Why can't people just be nice and not crazy?

:smallsigh:

EDIT: Bomber number 2 has been sighted (the dude with the white hat, black curly hair, white).

EDIT 2: Bomber number 2's suspected identity: Sunli Tripathi?!?! :smalleek:

Socratov
2013-04-19, 02:11 AM
terrible situation, on a tangent, I'd like people to google tim wise. Be surprised, try googling him, won't discuss for obvious reasons (once you've found him)

Tebryn
2013-04-19, 02:11 AM
Sunli Tripathi?!?! :smalleek:

Should this name...ring a bell? You may well have said "John Doe".

Starwulf
2013-04-19, 02:30 AM
Should this name...ring a bell? You may well have said "John Doe".

apparently he is a guy from MIT or something who disappeared a few months ago, and the FBI was involved in the investigation of his disappearance(my wife found all this stuff a little while ago)

Tebryn
2013-04-19, 02:31 AM
apparently he is a guy from MIT or something who disappeared a few months ago, and the FBI was involved in the investigation of his disappearance(my wife found all this stuff a little while ago)

Ahh...the other guy apparently was missing from Brown as well. Interesting.

CentrifugalSalt
2013-04-19, 03:06 AM
My friend mentioned that the most striking part of the bombings was how the crowds immediately began trying to help victims. People go on about the perpetrators in these tragedies and wonder what motivate them to cause so much pain and destruction. The best reaction isn't to hate the damaged individuals who caused this, but to aspire to show the same courage and compassion that led people to help in aftermath, so that when disasters inevitable occur, they can be overcome.

Huh, I'm usually a lot more apathetic than this. Guess this was just the last straw for me. I am sick of reading about these things happening, but ignoring it isn't doing anything. The very least I can do is try to provide some optimism.

Ashtagon
2013-04-19, 04:50 AM
For me, it's the fact that I've become almost inured to this sort of news that scares the hell out of me; I was in frickin' kindergarten when 9/11 happened, grew up with the constant exposure to all of this, and all I can really say at this point is "Oh for the LOVE OF GOD, why can't they just get a hold of their freakin' country?"

Welcome to my childhood :(

Tebryn
2013-04-19, 04:58 AM
Ya...as an older man it's rather scary to think that there are people on these boards who didn't witness 9/11 personally. I saw the second plane hit the tower while in my Sophomore year of High School.

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 05:14 AM
{scrubbed}

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-19, 05:36 AM
Hang on, hang on, was the MIT officer killed by one of the Marathon bombers?

I think I'm gonna be sick.

Hbgplayer
2013-04-19, 05:41 AM

That's what I'm thinking, but nobody has (that I can find anyway) said that outright. Right now, I'm listening to the scanner, and it is absolutely crazy.

Tebryn
2013-04-19, 05:48 AM

That's what it sounds like yes.

Traab
2013-04-19, 05:59 AM
Wait, are we still in Mass? Because watertown is also a city in Ct. Just want to be sure if its jumping the border into other states now or what.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-19, 06:03 AM
Nope, still in Massachusetts. Also, apparently the suspects are brothers, and the surviving one is Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev. (http://washingtonexaminer.com/nbc-2-bombing-suspects-are-brothers-born-overseas/article/2527649) Don't know if this is absolutely true or not though at the moment; the media's **** the bed on this case before.

CoffeeIncluded
2013-04-19, 06:07 AM
Holy ****balls I just realized: If the suspects were out at MIT with a manhunt going on, and they had a pressure cooker bomb available to throw at police, what were they originally planning to do with it at MIT?!

valadil
2013-04-19, 06:32 AM

As far as I can tell, yes. It sounds like they didn't know what to do with themselves and opted for a crime spree.

Wait, are we still in Mass? Because watertown is also a city in Ct. Just want to be sure if its jumping the border into other states now or what.

Watertown is a pretty common city name. Watertown MA is two towns over from Cambridge, where MIT is.

Most of the surrounding towns and universities are on lockdown right now. Mine isn't, but I work in Cambridge, so that's not happening today.

DSCrankshaw
2013-04-19, 09:03 AM
With public transportation on lockdown in the Boston area, I'm not going anywhere today. I'm not in the immediate area, but I'd have to go through it to get to work.

The details are still fuzzy, but from the sounds of it, the two suspects from the MIT shooting are the Marathon bombers, and they are brothers from Chechnya. The early story was that they robbed a convenience store, after which they shot and killed a cop at the MIT campus. They were in the MIT buildings for a while before hijacking a car and fleeing to Watertown. There were shots fired and explosives used, and one of the brothers was shot and killed. The other is apparently in a standoff with police now--they think they have him cornered, but that could change. I hear that the police are also detonating a number of suspected explosives around the city--likely most if not all will turn out to be false alarms, blowing up trash and lost backpacks and the belongings of the homeless.

More in the story here (http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/18/mit-police-officer-hit-gunfire-cambridge-police-dispatcher-says/UAbtwLVGLwBE5VI7BUyQuL/story.html), but given that everything's up in the air right now, I don't know how accurate this all is.

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 09:45 AM
{scrubbed}

Togath
2013-04-19, 09:56 AM
{scrubbed}

razark
2013-04-19, 09:57 AM
{scrubbed}

pendell
2013-04-19, 09:57 AM
Here is a timeline of the current manhunt (http://malor.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/binrjebciaeomkl-large.png). Let's see if it comes up.

ETA: Okay, that worked. Let me see if I can put the image up properly in spoiler tags.

http://malor.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/binrjebciaeomkl-large.png

At any rate, that seems to clarify things for me.

ETA: It almost seems to me as if the pair has no interest in escaping but instead wants to go out in a 'blaze of glory'. I know that if I had committed a major crime I would be in another state, preferably another country, in less than 24 hours. Why stick around and commit additional crimes in the area of interest if you weren't trying to provoke a police siege?

Oh, yes. And if you are dealing with law enforcement and you want to have even the slightest chance of walking away alive, NEVER ,EVER , EVER KILL A COP. NEVER. NO, NOT EVEN THEN. The fact that they did so implies a strong desire to commit 'suicide by cop'.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 10:05 AM
I haven't flamed or trolled anyone? Just informing people. Why is it so bad to examine the situation from a point of view that doesn't agree with the mainstream media?

I understand the thought of this being an inside job can be pretty upsetting to most people. But let's face it, the truth isn't always pleasant.

If I have broken any rules, please refer me to a link and I'll delete the posts.

Skeppio
2013-04-19, 10:08 AM
{scrubbed}

You do know that Info Wars is exceedingly biased and about as truthful as The Onion, right? :smallannoyed:

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 10:11 AM
{scrubbed}

pendell
2013-04-19, 10:13 AM
{scrubbed}

The rules of posting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?f=29&a=1), as seen at the top of each forum.

I regret I cannot answer your question, because if I did I would be in violation of this particular rule:

Vigilante Modding
If you're not a Moderator, don't act like one. Rich has selected a few people he trusts to keep an eye on conversations here. Please refrain from chastising other posters over breaking the rules, especially concerning minor things. The proper response when you see someone breaking these rules is to report the post as discussed above or to a PM to the local Moderator. At most, you may courteously link to this announcement. But whatever you do, do not tell other posters what to do, what rules they have broken, that they are spamming, etc. Posters who do so will be issued an Infraction for their actions.

So the most I can do is point you to the board rules and recommend you review them. Various posts in this thread have been reported , so eventually the mods will come through and take whatever action they deem fitting.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Ashtagon
2013-04-19, 10:14 AM
{scrubbed}

Basically, that link is going dangerously close to expressing a political opinion. And THAT is off-limits for this site.

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 10:16 AM
Well I have no desire to get in trouble, as I enjoy the PbP services provided by this site, so this will be my last post in this thread.

Asta Kask
2013-04-19, 10:24 AM
{scrubbed}

The question of the Federal Reserve is a political question. Calling for its disbanding is a blatant political demand.

Crux Argentum
2013-04-19, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't call it a demand... I doubt any of you (the people intended to read the post) would have the power to comply with such a demand (which it's not)...

I'm sure its been reported, so I guess just let the mods do with me what they will. Hope they realize I neither expressed a political view no more than any of you have nor have I made any political demands. Pretty ridiculous accusation and triviality, really.

Roland St. Jude
2013-04-19, 11:20 AM
Sheriff: Please stay far away from any political aspects of this topic.

Surfing HalfOrc
2013-04-20, 01:37 AM
Suspect #1 Captured! One brother killed, the other one captured alive. He was bleeding, and is being taken to the hospital.

Good Job FBI and Boston PD.

Now to get down to the Why and Who Helped. Maybe it was a Two Man operation, or maybe there were more involved. Keep your eyes on the follow up news. No idea why anyone would do such a thing, and as an amateur athlete, this sort of thing just stunned me. I can't imagine losing my legs at the end of a race, just so someone else can "Prove Some Point." :smallannoyed:

Mauve Shirt
2013-04-20, 07:14 AM
This guy is bad, but I'd just like to remind everyone that he still gets a trial before he gets punished. We're all angry, but it's important to remember that he's innocent until proven guilty. :smallannoyed: :smallsigh:

pendell
2013-04-20, 07:27 AM
Regardless, the nightmare is over for now, and for that I give thanks.

While everyone must be presumed innocent until found guilty, I would suggest the circumstances of capture make an acquittal highly unlikely. Here's hoping he has a lot of beans to spill. If there are any other terrorists or cells out there with whom he was involved.

Maybe this is silly of me, but there's a part of me that's hoping he can come face to face with what he did, snap out of it, and do all he can to make restitution. First by naming names and helping the authorities to the extent possible. Then by serving his sentence. Massachusetts has no death penalty (http://nodp.org/ma/s1.html), so he's probably facing life in prison.

Here's hoping he can find something better to do with his time in the big house than feeling sorry for himself. Maybe by becoming a spokesperson and a convert against whatever [self-scrubbed] filled his head with murdering ideas and sent him out to kill marathon runners and kids.

If there's a person I want to get my hands on, it's whoever it is filled his brother and his heads with this nonsense, then sent them out to get killed or rot in prison while remaining safely behind. It's funny how the terror masterminds or their immediate family hardly ever place *themselves* in any kind of danger. No, dying and suicide are for gullible people who buy their propaganda, not for themselves.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Asta Kask
2013-04-20, 07:36 AM
This guy is bad, but I'd just like to remind everyone that he still gets a trial before he gets punished. We're all angry, but it's important to remember that he's innocent until proven guilty. :smallannoyed: :smallsigh:

Totes +1 with bacon.

HandofShadows
2013-04-20, 07:45 AM
Now to get down to the Why and Who Helped. Maybe it was a Two Man operation, or maybe there were more involved. Keep your eyes on the follow up news. No idea why anyone would do such a thing, and as an amateur athlete, this sort of thing just stunned me. I can't imagine losing my legs at the end of a race, just so someone else can "Prove Some Point." :smallannoyed:

There is a fairly good chance that others were involved in some way. As one expert I saw talked about, these "people" managed to set off two bombs within a very short time span. That is not an overly easy thing to do. To set off any bomb reliably takes a good amount of training and practice. Getting a set of plans off the internet just will not cut it. (Even if the plans are correct and not altered to try an kill the bomber, as some are).

warty goblin
2013-04-20, 09:38 AM
If there's a person I want to get my hands on, it's whoever it is filled his brother and his heads with this nonsense, then sent them out to get killed or rot in prison while remaining safely behind. It's funny how the terror masterminds or their immediate family hardly ever place *themselves* in any kind of danger. No, dying and suicide are for gullible people who buy their propaganda, not for themselves.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

To be fair, it's not like the leaders of any organization - whether at a state or substate level - that uses violence for political purposes put themselves in harm's way anymore. Everybody sends other people's children out to do their killing and dying.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-04-20, 12:10 PM
I believe Mauve sort of vaguely touched on this before, but apparently the suspect isn't going to be read his Miranda rights before questioning?

Traab
2013-04-20, 12:15 PM
I believe Mauve sort of vaguely touched on this before, but apparently the suspect isn't going to be read his Miranda rights before questioning?

Not sure how that works, if thats true than they may be classifying him as an enemy combatant. Enemy soldiers dont get miranda rights read to them upon being captured. It may also be that they havent read them YET because the classification of his status isnt yet clear.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-04-20, 01:29 PM
Having reviewed the article (it can be found over at Slate) it seems to be going off of an exception regarding public safety that the Supreme Court made back in the 1980s. Apparently this is common-place for suspected terrorists. I also think that is as much as I can say without breaking board rules.

Traab
2013-04-20, 02:13 PM
Having reviewed the article (it can be found over at Slate) it seems to be going off of an exception regarding public safety that the Supreme Court made back in the 1980s. Apparently this is common-place for suspected terrorists. I also think that is as much as I can say without breaking board rules.

Yeah I should add that my above post was nothing other than random speculation, I dont have a clue about any of this stuff anyways. Just trying to come up with theories about how that could happen, looks like I missed the right one anyways. lol

pendell
2013-04-20, 04:59 PM
It's been awhile since i've checked on this, but IIRC Miranda rights don't have to be read to a criminal suspect right away. You just have to do it before you start officially questioning them. Otherwise it's inadmissable in court.

Of course, if all you care about is intelligence, you don't have to Mirandize them at all. Any information you gather as a result of such an interrogation will, of course, be inadmissable for any case against the suspect but it can still be used to find and track other terrorists.

cite referenced (http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/police-questioning-miranda-warnings-29930.html).

That is a lay opinion and NOT legal advice.

Respectfully,

Brian P.