PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Prerequisite Issues with ToB

Yael
2013-04-15, 03:10 PM
Some feats require other feats for prerequisites.
As some stances/maneuvers do.
In ToB there are some items that grant a martial maneuver once per encounter and must be recharged by meditating (just as an initiate do).

Now, Martial Stance (feat) requires at least one martial maneuver.
Can the item be used as the prerequisite for picking the feat?
In essence, you can use one martial maneuver. So, I don't know. Same with the armor enhancement ''Mobility'' which... grants mobility... it could be counted as the feat for purposes of PrCs like the Dervish?

Renen
2013-04-15, 03:17 PM
I'm pretty sure items that give feats can qualify you for feats. But beware losing the item as then the feat its qualify you for turns off

mattie_p
2013-04-15, 03:22 PM
I'm pretty sure items that give feats can qualify you for feats. But beware losing the item as then the feat its qualify you for turns off

Stances count as maneuvers for the purposes of qualifying for feats (p43). Once you have martial stance, you know a maneuver and you remain qualified for the feat, even if you then lose the item.

Darrin
2013-04-15, 03:30 PM

ToB maneuvers/stances don't work quite the same way. Once you learn a maneuver/stance, even if you later lose the prereqs, you still "know" it and can keep using it. At least, that's what the ruling was from Custserv. It looks like this was a deliberate design decision, similar to how bards/sorcerers are able to swap out lower-level spells after their potency fades at higher levels. However, spells don't generally have prereqs. To allow lower-level maneuvers to be swapped but still keep prereqs for learning new maneuvers, you have to "grandfather in" a martial adept's currently known maneuvers. Otherwise swapping around prereqs gets way too mucky.

Using the Crown of the White Raven-type magic items from ToB should allow you to qualify for learning new maneuvers by RAW (this is the same as using any other magic item to qualify for a feat or PrC), but this may set off some DM's Cheez-o-meters. Unfortunately, the Unofficial ToB Errata Project (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=335.0) (somewhat erroneously listed as Complete) did not address this.