PDA

View Full Version : Making Snowflake Wardance Sound Intimidating

Chilingsworth
2013-04-15, 03:58 PM
Ok, just looking for some help with fluff.

My friends in my RL group have decided that Snowflake wardance has the least intimidating name ever. I know, it's quite effective, but how can it be fluffed to sound menacing?

Barsoom
2013-04-15, 04:00 PM
Firebrand Wardance.

laeZ1
It sounds intimidating after the bard disarms the fighter, feeds him some drow poison, and coup de grac's him.

<3 Jaegyr Lynde. Rest in peace.

Boci
Blizzard Wardance? Or do you means its effect? Redsnow Dance. Frostbreeze Wardance.

Gotterdammerung
2013-04-15, 04:06 PM
Well the PHB gives you the right to re-fluff your skills and feats. The example is stuff like "Padfootin'" instead of moving silently.

I almost used snowflake wardance in my gold winning Iron chef build for the Shadow Blade prestige class round.

I was going to fluff it around the "dance of the shadow"

But basically the concept of the feats fluff is based off of a randomly moving elegant and beautiful snowflake. So anything that has a similar "dance" could be appropriate fluff swap.

"Dance of Shadow"
"Flickering Wind Dance"
"Firelight Wardance"
"Deadly Dance of the Serpent"

rypt
2013-04-15, 04:08 PM
Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy? :smalltongue:

Rimefire Wardance.

Amnestic
2013-04-15, 04:10 PM
"The Evermarch of Fimbulwinter".

Boci
2013-04-15, 04:16 PM
In all fairness it can be called pretty much anything. You don't even need to reference dancing or snow or cold. Laughing blade style, mindblade stance, steel song's edge...

Chilingsworth
2013-04-15, 04:19 PM
"The Evermarch of Fimbulwinter".

Oh, nice one!

Big Fau
2013-04-15, 08:11 PM
"Goddamn, the Bard's Making Me Look Bad"?

Skysaber
2013-04-16, 01:42 AM
"the Bard's Making Me Look Bad"?

Isn't that his purpose? Bards may just be second best at most things they do, but they always arrange to look good doing it.

I was certain that was a class feature.

Gnome Alone
2013-04-16, 01:58 AM
Broken Branch Murderstomp.

Spiderweb Throatstep.

Hatehate Deathdance.

And so forth.

TuggyNE
2013-04-16, 02:16 AM
Hatehate Deathdance.

That needs to be a band name, if only so concerned parents can forbid their teens from listening to it.

Gotterdammerung
2013-04-16, 02:20 AM
Or just translate it into german to make it sound terrifying.

:smallfurious:Schneeflocke Kriegstanz!!!:smallfurious:

Socratov
2013-04-16, 02:34 AM
Dance of the crimson winter lotus

Seriously, it's not that hard. If youwant to refluff something into awesomeness break the name (or effect) down to what it does:

1- damage
2- elegance or grace
3- razor edged snowflake

1: damage is done with slashing weapons, so blood is flying around. While blood seems menacing enough, it should be referenced instead of named. So we go for a red color: Crimson. it sounds menacing and deep.

2: elegance or grace: well, it is a dance, wo why not call it that way? Let's start with "dance of the..." this references it's a certain style of battle using dance as a medium. Next the grace part. When poets reference grace they use nature, more specific: flowers, as a kenning. the lotus is oten used in martial arts moves for it's grace and complexity. Lotus also produce a (mild) toxin. So deadly and graceful. exactly what we are looking for.

3: razor edged snowflake. Well lose the snowflake part it references smallness or insignificance. Instead, we have the lotus to symbolize grace. However, to references gruesomness of it, referencing winter has it's advantages. Winter is a time of hardship: it's cold, food is scarce, blizzards and cutting windsdegrading morale, so winter sounds about right. So if something is good at surviving in those (winter) conditions it's badass as a rule (polar bears anyone?). So it will be a winter lotus.

combined you get "Dance of the Crimson Winter Lotus".

Now we have a dance, referencing a blood like looking, hard condtions surviving graceful flower. badass :smallcool:

Psyren
2013-04-16, 08:00 AM
I like musical/dance terms as part of attacks, inspired largely by Mog's dances from FFVI. Combine with some alliteration (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AddedAlliterativeAppeal) and you can come up with renames like:

Slicing Samba
Thrusting Toccata
Razorwind Rondeau
Bladesong Baroque
Weaponmaster's Waltz

to name a few.

Jeff the Green
2013-04-16, 08:16 AM
combined you get "Dance of the Crimson Winter Lotus".

Now we have a dance, referencing a blood like looking, hard condtions surviving graceful flower. badass :smallcool:

Well, unless you know botany and realize that lotuses are tropical flowers and die down to a tuber in winter. "Dance of the Crimson Lotus" is nice, though. :smalltongue:

Gnome Alone
2013-04-16, 09:23 AM
Well, unless you know botany and realize that lotuses are tropical flowers and die down to a tuber in winter. "Dance of the Crimson Lotus" is nice, though.

Angry-Dance of the Crimson Winter Slaughter-Tuber.

Gnome Alone
2013-04-16, 09:28 AM
needs to be a band name, if only so concerned parents can forbid their teens from listening to it.

"We're Hatehate Deathdance! This song's 'Murder Shouldn't Be Illegal'! 1234!"

Concerned Parents is a good band name too.

subject42
2013-04-16, 09:32 AM

That's it. Next time I make a character I'm going to taking Skill Focus (German) and using it in place of Intimidate.

Gotterdammerung
2013-04-16, 09:40 AM
That's it. Next time I make a character I'm going to taking Skill Focus (German) and using it in place of Intimidate.

Why power attack when you could :smallfurious:starken angriff:smallfurious:

Why use intimidate when you can :smallfurious:einschüchtern:smallfurious:

Zubrowka74
2013-04-16, 10:28 AM
Why am I picturing some angry kaiser with a pointy helmet and a monocle when I read this in my head ? Oh yeah, that's right, I actually know someone like this.

Golden Ladybug
2013-04-16, 10:33 AM
Special Snowflake Wardance!

...wait :smalltongue:

Gotterdammerung
2013-04-16, 10:34 AM
Why am I picturing some angry kaiser with a pointy helmet and a monocle when I read this in my head ? Oh yeah, that's right, I actually know someone like this.

Who? Baron Von Veigar?

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c0.0.851.315/p851x315/465453_305347302852841_1961342291_o.jpg

Chilingsworth
2013-04-16, 04:01 PM
Well, unless you know botany and realize that lotuses are tropical flowers and die down to a tuber in winter. "Dance of the Crimson Lotus" is nice, though. :smalltongue:

I think the fact that lotuses normally can't survive in winter is part of the point.

Yeah, definitely a good name! :smallbiggrin:

Daftendirekt
2013-04-16, 04:28 PM
Hatehate Deathdance.

Angry-Dance of the Crimson Winter Slaughter-Tuber.

These all get my vote. :smallbiggrin: