PDA

View Full Version : I get one 2nd level psy warrior power, what should I pick?

veven
2013-04-15, 11:35 PM
I am making an E6 character who'll be taking four levels of psychic warrior and two swordsage levels after that. I am not entirely sure yet what style of fighting I want to use but this will be my first time using psionic a so I wanted some advice. If you had to choose one 2nd level psychich warrior power, which one would it be?

JusticeZero
2013-04-15, 11:37 PM
*headtilt* What sort've Swordsage are you working toward? What's the overall concept?

Feint's End
2013-04-16, 12:28 AM
Dependant on build

BUT argueably the best 2nd Level Power ist Hustle

other noteworthy ones:
Damp Power (not so good in E6 because it just protects you)
Detect Hostile Intend (potentially game breaking ... just take if your Dm is aware of the potential)
Power Weapon (if you expect a lot of Dr)

What would I pick? Most Likely I'd go with Hustle simply because it's the most versatile Power

Generally if you haven't already thought about it I'd suggest you take mantled warrior at Level 2 and take the Freedom Mantle ... I can't emphasize enough how amazing Dimension Hop is (also potentially replaces Hustle if you just use it for movement)

JusticeZero
2013-04-16, 08:02 AM
Hustle is nice and good for bringing your damage online before anything else happens, and it's a notoriously hard to find effect.

Animal Affinity is also helpful, since you can shuffle the buff as you need, but you might eventually be able to use items for this, and it's an enhancement bonus. You would need to check your GM's rulings on items; according to the SRD, the stat booster items are CL8, possibly requiring an artificer to craft or being out of reach.

Energy Adaptation might come in handy if your campaign is focused on stuff that throws fire or lightning a lot, but most games aren't, and this is item-replaceable (Ring of Energy Resistance, CL3). Concealing Amorpha if your enemies think Sneak Attack is the ultimate, which again doesn't describe most games. Again, you can use items such as a Cloak of Displacement (CL3) to get this effect eventually. Really, the question "Can I replace this power with an item?" is one of the core questions to ask.

dethkruzer
2013-04-16, 08:12 AM
I'm AFB, but looking at the SRD, things like Hustle and Psionic Lions Charge look pretty decent.

Vaz
2013-04-16, 09:21 AM
Could be a little screwy, and is very feat intensive, but;

Hidden Talent (Synchronicity), Linked Power, Metapower Linked Syncronicity

Congratulations, you can Manifest any power for 2 points less (to a minimum of 1).

Even go ahead with breaking the action economy.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-04-16, 09:23 AM
Without itterative attacks Psionic Lion's charge looses it's appeal and evem with fractional BAB he would get 4 BAB. Hustle gives mobility and utility, how about regaing focus and maneuvers in 1 round?

Vaz
2013-04-16, 09:26 AM
You only need a single 'festing of Psionic Lion's Charge, though. No need to have it as a power, just pay someone to cast it on you. It also allows you to pounce if you some other method of pounce.

GF, raw.

How much does it cost to have a single Level 2 Power Cast on you? 60gp? NICE.

Psyren
2013-04-16, 10:42 AM
You only need a single 'festing of Psionic Lion's Charge, though. No need to have it as a power, just pay someone to cast it on you. It also allows you to pounce if you some other method of pounce.

GF, raw.

Range: Personal, so you can't get someone to cast it on you (barring shenanigans like Soul Crystal, Affinity Field or Fusion.)

Fouredged Sword
2013-04-16, 10:46 AM
Any power you can deal with a 3 round delay on casting should be obtained as a powerstone and used to borrow the power from when needed.

I second Hustle. It really is hard to replace in E6.

Vaz
2013-04-16, 10:52 AM
Range: Personal, so you can't get someone to cast it on you (barring shenanigans like Soul Crystal, Affinity Field or Fusion.)

Thought it was too good to be true. A dorje instead, then.

Feint's End
2013-04-16, 10:53 AM

GF, raw.

I'm kinda confused about your wording and sorry if I missinterpret it but I can't see how a. anybody can manifest Psionic Lion's Charge ond somebody else and b. how that would help you

Here the link from the SRD Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psionic_Lion%27s_Charge)
Also Psionic Lion's Charge is entirely worthless in E6 (no itterative attacks) ...
Hustle is infinitely better in everything you might want to do (especially if you want to use metap. and that is after all a very tempting option due to all the bonusfeats at Level 6)

The Synchronicity Action abuse is definitely a good idea to get extra Standartactions but I don't see why you should invest into Metapower. After all Linked Synchronicity is just 2 PP (if both are Synchronicity) or the Metacost is 1PP what makes taking the feat kinda worthless.

Also out of topic but if OP wants to have a suggestion for feats and build:
Depending on how much you want to focus on the Swordsage part I heavily suggest you take one Level earlier to get Adaptive Style ... After all you can get more maneuvers and Stances later through feats but Adaptive Style can just be taken at 1st Level.

Assuming whatever race Psywar
1st Swordsage Adaptive Style
2nd Psywar Psicrystal Affinity
3rd Psywar Mantled Warrior (Freedom), Linked Power
4th Psywar
5th Swordsage
6h Psywar Psionic Meditation

-Powers: 1. Expansion, Dimension Hop, Synchronicity, 2. Hustle
-Maneuvers: Sudden Leap, Moment of perfect Mind, Shadowblade Technique, Counter Charge, Distracting Ember, Charging Minotaur (great in E6), Emerald Razor
-Stances: I'd pick Hunter's sense for out of combat and Island of Blades for in-fight (just if you have another melee)
-I also like the Call Items Power because it basically doubles your utility so if you change around a bit take Hidden Talent (Call Item) at Level 1 and Adaptive Style at Level 3

Level 6 bonusfeats:
-various Expanded Knowledges to get more Level 1 Powers: Call Item, Precognition Defensive, Vigor (at least decent), Metaph. Weapon
-Practised Manifester (Psywar) (otherwise you loose 2 Ml)
-Overchannel+Talented (To get Ml 9 ofc)
-Power Attack+Cleave Feats (especially awesome with Emerald Razor)

Alternative: If you don't mind fighting with a simple weapon do the following: Take unarmed variant Swordsage (no problem ... you get back armor prof. from Psywar), take a Longspear, pick Intuitive Attack (BoeD) at Level 3
now you get Wis to hit, ac, wil meaning you are pretty much SAD. You can deal dmg by using PA and boosting your size via Expansion (30ft reach with longspear btw) .. also opens up great possibilities at Level 6 for making a trip-build.
with 20 wis hit would look something like +10 (4bab 1weapon 5 wis) and ac would be (assuming Mithralchainmail +1 and 14 dex) 23 without even adding other items

edit: partially swordsage'd :D

TuggyNE
2013-04-16, 05:55 PM
I'm kinda confused about your wording and sorry if I missinterpret it but I can't see how a. anybody can manifest Psionic Lion's Charge ond somebody else and b. how that would help you

Here the link from the SRD Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Psionic_Lion%27s_Charge)
Also Psionic Lion's Charge is entirely worthless in E6 (no itterative attacks)

They're referring to a cheesy misreading, such that an Instantaneous power gives you the ability forever. Anyone actually trying to use that should have a whole heap of books thrown at them*, of course, but there it is!

*Shameless plug. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2013-04-16, 08:03 PM
Because the duration is "instantaneous" rather than a more likely intended "until discharged," a cheesy reading allows the power to grant you pounce for eternity with just one casting.

This would take a pretty permissive DM though.

Feint's End
2013-04-16, 10:41 PM
Thanks for Clarifying that for me @Psyren and tuggyne

Well aside from no sane Dm allowing this (at least nobody I know) :smalltongue: it still isn't worth it in E6 due to lack of itterative attacks

Psyren
2013-04-16, 11:00 PM
I agree with the others above - Hustle is your best bet for E6, particularly on a martial class. Even without iteratives, it's still useful - enabling you to regain your psionic focus as a swift action (with psionic meditation), which in turn will let you power all kinds of useful psionic feats - e.g. Deep Impact, Psionic Charge, Mental Juggernaut, and Psionic Weapon/Shot - without limiting your regular actions in combat.

It's also useful for a swordsage - letting you employ Adaptive Style's refresh while on the move.

Rubik
2013-04-16, 11:15 PM
Thanks for Clarifying that for me @Psyren and tuggyne

Well aside from no sane Dm allowing this (at least nobody I know) :smalltongue: it still isn't worth it in E6 due to lack of itterative attacksYou might not get iteratives, but you can certainly get natural attack routines through various means, such as Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, Two Weapon Fighting (preferably using armor spikes), and the Illithid Grapple feat.

Feint's End
2013-04-17, 09:13 AM
You might not get iteratives, but you can certainly get natural attack routines through various means, such as Claws of the Beast, Bite of the Wolf, Two Weapon Fighting (preferably using armor spikes), and the Illithid Grapple feat.

True but
-as long as you haven't got a charging build Hustle is infinitely better due to more options
-1st level powers are already packed (especially if you take dimension hop) so there is usually no space for Claws of the Beast and/or Bite of the Wolf
-TWF is generally not the best choice on a Psywar since it increases MAD and Reach Weapons work so well on them (Expansion to huge)

It is ofc possible to get itteratives but PLC is stillsupbar on a Psywar for the reasons above