PDA

View Full Version : I am new to the game could a dragonborn warforged spell caster work?

Outlawzero
2013-04-16, 09:00 AM
I've only played once before, and my brother wants me to play with him and his friends and asked if I would be a spell caster. I looked at various races and really like the idea of essentially being a robot dragon. If I understand it right it should keep it's sub type granting a bunch of immunity's, but loose Composite Plating, which means he should be able to equip armor, and still get the level one warforged armor feats as they do not require require Composite Plating as a prerequisite. I was thinking of warmage as it can ignore light armor asf so I could pick the mithral feat and not suffer from the asf, since it is a feat could I still wear armor if I take one of the armor feats? It could also fly, since it would be immune to fatigue due to sub type could it fly indefinitely? If any of you have any better Ideas I would appreciate it as I am new to this.

AWiz_Abroad
2013-04-16, 09:09 AM
Slightly difficult to understand you OP, but from what I am understanding. Note, I am only passingly familiar with some of the stuff you mention.

1. Can you lose the Composite plating by taking Unarmored body, then Mithril body, and then wear armor. Aside from 2 1st level feats there, I don't think it works like that. I think if you want to take Mithril Body, that takes your body slot, so you cannot layer the armor with a wearable armor on top of it. You can enchant it like normal armor though (I believe). So your Mithril Body which counts as light armor would allow you to cast without ASF.

As far as the mechanics of perma-flying dragonborn warforged, I'm going to leave that to someone who's more familiar with the combo. I'd allow it in my campaign, but YMMV.

Murmaider
2013-04-16, 09:29 AM
Mithral body just increases to armor bonus, it does not give you any armor. So if you take the feat while being a dragonborn warforged, you get the penalties of wearing light armor, without gaining anything from it:smalltongue:

The infite flight will work though.

Instead of using warmage I'd suggest using wizard or sorceror, because they can do essentially the same thing and more if you get bored of blasting. And I don't mean that in a 'lol, wizard does what fighter does but better, derp' way, I really mean warmage is just a sorceror with less options in spells.

Regitnui
2013-04-16, 09:49 AM
My first question as a DM is can you justify it in-character? Why would a Warforged want to become a dragon? If you can give a good reason, I'd allow it and start seeing how it would work mechanically.

Outlawzero
2013-04-16, 10:20 AM
@AWiz_Abroad Composite Plating is a racial trait which it would loose when becoming dragon born, without composite plating there is nothing stopping it from equipping armor so I do not need the second feat. I will consider wizard or sorcerer, I am looking at all of the spell casters and plan on asking the ones I am playing with as well before I decide for sure, also Warforged are sentient beings and those that become dragon born are supposed to hear a calling or something to become it so I guess that would be my reason or maybe a desire for flight as that would certainly compel me to become a dragon born. I am not sure if it helps but I found this on the wizards site: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070112a

Darrin
2013-04-16, 10:34 AM
I looked at various races and really like the idea of essentially being a robot dragon. If I understand it right it should keep it's sub type granting a bunch of immunity's, but loose Composite Plating, which means he should be able to equip armor, and still get the level one warforged armor feats as they do not require require Composite Plating as a prerequisite.

This should work, except for the "equip armor" part. A Warforged that became a Dragonborn of Bahumat would lose Composite Plating and be able to wear armor. But if he took the Mithral Body feat as well, this is unaffacted by Dragonborn of Bahumat, and by the text of Mithral Body, "the character is considered to be wearing light armor." Thus, his body slot is occupied by his mithral armor.

I was thinking of warmage as it can ignore light armor asf so I could pick the mithral feat and not suffer from the asf, since it is a feat could I still wear armor if I take one of the armor feats?

Mithral Body + Dragonborn + Warmage should work fine, although Warmage itself is kinda meh. You may want to ask your DM how he feels about "text trumps table" on Rainbow Servant. If he says yes, then consider a Rainbow Warsnake build: Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant 10/Something 4.

It could also fly, since it would be immune to fatigue due to sub type could it fly indefinitely?

While you would be immune to fatigue, I would probably enforce the "consecutive rounds of flight" thing until you reached 12 HD. You'd be able to fly a number of rounds equal to double your Con modifier, but after that you'd have to take at least one round of gliding before you could go back to flying.

If any of you have any better Ideas I would appreciate it as I am new to this.

Make sure you check with the DM on this concept. You're trying to leverage a lot of the advantages of Mithral Body/Dragonborn of Bahumat while minimizing the disadvantages. From a "Gentlemen's Agreement (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14498283)" standpoint, this may rub some people the wrong way. On the other hand, if the DM is running a high-powered campaign and doesn't mind "Tier 1" shenanigans, then go for it.

Evard
2013-04-16, 10:41 AM
My first question as a DM is can you justify it in-character? Why would a Warforged want to become a dragon? If you can give a good reason, I'd allow it and start seeing how it would work mechanically.

I'm mutha funkin mechagodzilla's bastard son?

Failed warforged experiment?

Bahamut wanted a warforge in his image then got bored and left him to wonder the earth?

Oh! FF7: I'm a prototype "weapon"!

Fluff/Character developement isn't that hard.... :D

Zombulian
2013-04-16, 11:13 AM

I played a character with this exact race once actually. I had him as a fairly old warforged who had spent many years with different masters and trainers, and finally found solace and inspiration with Bahamut. Instead of actually having the rite of rebirth, a priest of Bahamut helped fix wings onto him and with all the blessings, removed his composite plating and such.
It was interesting.
I would recommend not warmage, unless you plan on being a Rainbow Warsnake flavored to dragons instead of coatls.

Regitnui
2013-04-17, 02:48 AM
I'm mutha funkin mechagodzilla's bastard son?

Failed warforged experiment?

Bahamut wanted a warforged in his image then got bored and left him to wander the earth?

Oh! FF7: I'm a prototype "weapon"!

Fluff/Character developement isn't that hard.... :D

I said justify it in character. Firstly, Bahamut doesn't exist, and I'd ask for a little more detail than 'failed experiment'.:smalltongue:

Sgt. Cookie
2013-04-17, 05:29 AM
If it's blasting you're after, a Warlock would probably be better. Some very nice at-will abilities, a decent amount of damage and a few decent out of battle utility Invocations.

It's an easier class to play than, well, any spellcaster.

TuggyNE
2013-04-17, 05:44 AM
Make sure you check with the DM on this concept. You're trying to leverage a lot of the advantages of Mithral Body/Dragonborn of Bahumat while minimizing the disadvantages. From a "Gentleman's Agreement (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14498283)" standpoint, this may rub some people the wrong way. On the other hand, if the DM is running a high-powered campaign and doesn't mind "Tier 1" shenanigans, then go for it.

I appreciate the link (and rather agree with the sentiment) but I think there's a typo in it. It should be this, right?

Arcanist
2013-04-17, 06:09 AM
I said justify it in character. Firstly, Bahamut doesn't exist, and I'd ask for a little more detail than 'failed experiment'.:smalltongue:

Warforged don't exist either, but we still pretend they do (If this is what you are suggesting). There are literally an infinite number of reasons for a Warforged to want to become a Dragonborn, however my personal favorite is the Lifestyle synchronicity (both are highly militant and disciplined).

Besides:
http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw3410-__i__ts___magic____by_browny_flankbook-d4fsrbb.png

Regitnui
2013-04-17, 07:29 AM
Warforged don't exist either, but we still pretend they do (If this is what you are suggesting). There are literally an infinite number of reasons for a Warforged to want to become a Dragonborn, however my personal favorite is the Lifestyle synchronicity (both are highly militant and disciplined).

Now that's a good reason.

Besides:
http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw3410-__i__ts___magic____by_browny_flankbook-d4fsrbb.png

True, very true.

Eslin
2013-04-17, 07:45 AM
Pick dragonfire adept, works perfectly.

Darrin
2013-04-17, 08:24 AM
I appreciate the link (and rather agree with the sentiment) but I think there's a typo in it. It should be this, right?

Actually, we're both wrong. It should be "Gentlepersons' Agreement".

(You can link to a post with just a post= tag? Dagnabbit, I've been Doing It Wrong.)

Zombulian
2013-04-17, 08:55 AM
Pick dragonfire adept, works perfectly.

FIRE BREATHING ROBOTS OH GOD RUN

Spuddles
2013-04-17, 12:59 PM
I would suggest psion with adamantine body feat. Now you are an armored robot dragon that shoots mind bullets.

Mato
2013-04-17, 02:17 PM
My first question as a DM is can you justify it in-character? Why would a Warforged want to become a dragon? If you can give a good reason, I'd allow it and start seeing how it would work mechanically.Wht did you choose a Pirate Avatar? Why is he in black? Why is he missing teeth. You need to justify all aspects of your Avatar or you're not allowed to choose it. You should have also justified why your flavor-based opinion has any right to quell someone else's personal choices or how what you would do as a DM matter to his or her group in your post.

Chewing out for the egotistical notation that someone's personal preferences does not matter compared to another's aside.

Yes Dragonborn Warforged can work. Do not take Adamantine Body, you'll count for wearing Heavy Armor and have an Arcane Spell Failure Chance of 35%. Instead just let Dragonborn remove your Composite Plating and be done with things. Unless of course you are an Artificer. In which case you ignore ASF and have some really great Racial Alternative Class Features. Including a 2:1 XP rate on crafting Weapons & Armor.

Warforged Sorcerers can be done easy enough, the -2 Charisma can be worked around. It's only a 5% reduction in Save-or-Suck/Dies. Wizards have no such loss and benefit nicely from the +4 bonus to Con. Plus at low levels the 1d8 Breath Weapon for Heart is a great filler when you've ran out of Spell Slots as well.

Rubik
2013-04-17, 02:32 PM
I would suggest psion with adamantine body feat. Now you are an armored robot dragon that shoots mind bullets.This. Psions make excellent blasters without a whole lot of optimization. Not so much that they're Mailman-grade, but enough that you'll feel useful and decently powerful.

They can also do things that AREN'T blasting, so you're good to go there, too.

I'd suggest shaper psion, myself. It's hard to imagine a situation that they're not at least marginally useful in, so (unlike telepaths) you'll never really be hedged out by immunities and whatnot.

Later on, grab the Gemstone Breath power, from Dragon Magic. Note that it's both a power and a breath weapon, so anything that works on either will work on it (and most stack -- except Quicken and Maximize, but meh).

TuggyNE
2013-04-17, 08:36 PM
Actually, we're both wrong. It should be "Gentlepersons' Agreement".

Yeah, I considered that, but it sounded clunky beyond all bearing.

(You can link to a post with just a post= tag? Dagnabbit, I've been Doing It Wrong.)

Also to a thread with thread=.

The More You Know!

Rubik
2013-04-17, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I considered that, but it sounded clunky beyond all bearing.

Also to a thread with thread=.

The More You Know!There's always Gentlepony.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_La_9Lz_v-4/T68sGV8lIbI/AAAAAAAApk4/AQe2HsI6YAg/s1600/85254-derpy_hooves-ditzy_doo-scrunchy-scrunchy_face-transparent-vector.png

John Campbell
2013-04-18, 02:13 AM
I think if you do this, you're required to begin all in-character statements with, "Me Grimlock..."

Thurbane
2013-04-18, 04:19 AM
Why doesn't Bahamut exist?

The OP didn't specify it was an Eberron campaign, and thanks to MM3 there's a strong argument to use Warforged (and Shifters, and Changelings) as a setting neutral race.

Regitnui
2013-04-18, 05:04 AM
Wht did you choose a Pirate Avatar? Why is he in black? Why is he missing teeth. You need to justify all aspects of your Avatar or you're not allowed to choose it. You should have also justified why your flavor-based opinion has any right to quell someone else's personal choices or how what you would do as a DM matter to his or her group in your post.

Fine. I chose the avatar because I had no idea how it would look. I chose it on the name of 'Pirate captain', thinking it wouldn't be such a cliched version of a pirate.

Secondarily, I'm not forbidding anyone from choosing something. Somebody wants to play a fire-breathing robot dragon in my campaign? Fine, it's a wealth of plot hooks. What I ask for is just that you as player tell me how you're getting your character to that. If you really want the flying, psychic, adamantium robot dragon, then I'll even help you put it together.

A forum avatar is nowhere near the level of story involvement a PC is. The warforged that wants to be a dragon is a character that I as DM can pull a lot of adventure stories out of, and I'd like to help the players enjoy those stories.

Why doesn't Bahamut exist?

The OP didn't specify it was an Eberron campaign, and thanks to MM3 there's a strong argument to use Warforged (and Shifters, and Changelings) as a setting neutral race.

Okay, in my case, running an Eberron campaign, Bahamut doesn't exist. Sorry, I've been working on adapting an existing module fo a while now, so I'm mentally editing everything D&D I see...