PDA

View Full Version : How often do you game?

Finlam
2013-04-16, 09:39 AM
Hey guys!

I've been in the pen and paper RPG community for a while and I've noticed that I tend to have periods when I game many times per week, and some when I'm lucky if I can find a game, group, or time even once per month. I figure I'm probably pretty normal in that regard... But I was wondering: How often do you game? Are you a gung-ho Role-Player that plays 4 times a week? Are you stretched a little thin and would like to do more gaming? Are you a casual pen and paper gamer and game only once a month or every once in a while? Is your current gaming frequency your ideal gaming frequency(do you want to game more often....or less often)?

------
Lotsa questions, I know, but I just wanted to hear the Playground's thoughts. I figure that I'd like to do a little bit more gaming right now, but it's kinda hard to find the time. I'm pretty firmly stuck at maybe once a month right now =( But such is life and it will improve late. What are your thoughts?

Jay R
2013-04-16, 09:44 AM
That depends on my schedule and my friends' schedules. I was in a game that only met a few times a years. We started a new game recently, with fewer people, and have had 8 sessions since January.

Chen
2013-04-16, 10:14 AM
I game pretty much once a week. My friends and I are older now so more than that is not really feasible. Our sessions are planned once a week and generally a person will miss out once or twice a month, but there's usually enough that we go through with the session anyway.

arguskos
2013-04-16, 12:41 PM
As my local DM, I personally prefer a every other week schedule. Unfortunately, my friends seem to prefer a every four weeks schedule, which is what we use. :smallannoyed:

valadil
2013-04-16, 12:51 PM
Was doing twice a week. Then we had a baby and I haven't gamed since.

BWR
2013-04-16, 05:33 PM
That happens. After about 3 years the fathers manage to show up once a month or so.

It depends. Usually about 1.5 times per week. Sometimes we get lucky and up to 3 times per week, if everything works out. The joys of having several groups of gaming friends who do not all play with everyone else.

TheEmerged
2013-04-16, 05:58 PM
We're managing once a month. The scheduling issue is more mine (as DM\GM) than the other players.

One thing about the fathers moving away from the game - stay in touch. In a few years, they just might be bringing a new player to the table with them (that's what has happened with our group).

Emmerask
2013-04-16, 06:01 PM
On avg maybe once / month

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-04-16, 06:56 PM
I once DM'd the same D&D game 4x a week for most of a year. It was amazing.

But now it's two different games, one 1x a week and the second every other week. So only like 6x a month.

JoshL
2013-04-16, 07:47 PM
Sadly it's been a while since I've played. My favorite games were always every other week...often enough to keep into it, but not interfering with all the other things going on.

I am planning some solo games to run my girlfriend through (she used to play White Wolf, I used to play D&D)

Tengu_temp
2013-04-16, 08:34 PM
1-2 times per week on average for real time games, but since I also play forum and journal games, technically I always game.

valadil
2013-04-16, 10:07 PM
That happens. After about 3 years the fathers manage to show up once a month or so.

I actually could game now, but I chose band over D&D. I figured rehearsals are no better or worse than D&D, but I can play bass between rehearsals. Can't do much with a D&D character when the GM isn't around.

In theory, the wife would also be okay with me gaming more often if I did it at home so I could help out with baby care. Now all I need is a bigger home with a proper gaming space.

Aolbain
2013-04-17, 02:59 PM
Once a weak, more or less

smellie_hippie
2013-04-17, 03:16 PM
How often do I game? :smallconfused:

*rolls a d20*

I GOT A 4!!

OverdrivePrime
2013-04-17, 03:24 PM
^ Win.

The other DM in the group and I both have kids now (separately), but we manage to game about 3 times a month.

Kurgan
2013-04-17, 06:42 PM
It varies, currently I am doing about once per week [we sometimes skip a week or two, depending on schedules], but on other occasions I had dry spells lasting 3-6 months at a time. Now that I am done with school and have my degree, I have enough free time to game 1/2 times per week.

Velaryon
2013-04-17, 11:14 PM
Thanks to grad school and the dissolution of one of my regular gaming groups, I've gamed once this year. I used to average about three times every two weeks, which was nice. Sometimes it got to be more than that, but if it got to be much more than that, it started to be too much for me. I know people who game 3+ times a week (with different groups) and I just don't know how they can do it that much.

Zamani
2013-04-18, 12:25 AM
I typically run my campaign once every 2 weeks for around 6-8hrs. (I've run it every week before but I find the plot lines to be better when I have a bit more time to think about them.) I also play in another campaign that meets about as frequently, and LARP with a group that meets about 3 times every 2 weeks. And then, there's the computer gaming, but we won't go into that :P especially when there's a new release.

CentrifugalSalt
2013-04-19, 03:10 AM
The group I'm with meets once a week. It gets cancelled half the time, though. When people do show up, it's usually just a bunch of nonsense, since nobody's willing to take any of it seriously.

I really need to find a better game to join.

banjo1985
2013-04-19, 08:36 AM
I peaked at twice a week back at the end of uni. I have the time and opportunity for a weekly game session nowadays, but I very rarely roleplay - I've started to boardgame and miniature wargame far more.

I'd go stir crazy without my weekly game of something geek related though. :smallsmile:

Remmirath
2013-04-21, 09:31 PM
Typically I game nearly every evening, as my usual gaming group consists of my family. For games with other groups, I don't currently have any going. I would like to get one or two together, perhaps one on a bi-weekly schedule and a larger one on a monthly schedule.

As of now, my usual game has been halted for a week or two due to all of us being too busy with various things, but it'll likely get started up again next week. So, as of right now, I'm not gaming as much as I'd like; my usual amount is the amount I'd like (since typically I would have one other game going also).

Slipperychicken
2013-04-21, 11:26 PM
Once per week, barring extreme circumstances. We're in college, and usually have time free on weekends. When we aren't all in town, we play online.

Vizzerdrix
2013-04-22, 02:46 AM
Not since early December. My group just sort of fell apart.

I think that come mid summer I'll pick up either a few Pathfinder or the new Shadowrun (if it's still being made) and teach a few of my non gamer friends to play.

Pandoren
2013-04-22, 08:16 AM
Should I admit to never having gamed in my life? :smallredface:

Thattaman
2013-04-22, 04:09 PM
I'm in the sad situation of being the Geekiest of all my friends and the only person who knows what a D20 is, so I only get PbP roleplaying. :smallfrown: It's sad owning these rulebooks and no one to use them on.

Mnemophage
2013-04-29, 04:14 AM
I usually do it once a week. I'd be interested in one more, perhaps over Skype, but I'm just bursting with ideas and worry about burning out. Every group I've been in has spun out into disaster over time, so we'll see if this lasts long enough for me to pull the really weird ones out of my ass. Or gives me motivation to finish those Elder Scrolls Scion pantheons I have continually on the backburner.

Darthteej
2013-05-02, 12:15 AM
My group usually ends up gaming every other week, but because of everyone moving to college and dealing with the workload, there have been some pretty big gaps.

Balain
2013-05-02, 12:29 AM
It varies from month to month. And depends what is going on. When we have a campaign going on we try to play every other week. sometimes someone can't make it. Those times either someone else controls that player if we can't afford to weaken the party. Otherwise their character just kind of hangs around not doing anything.

The weeks we aren't roleplaying some of the group gets together to play board or card games, sometimes some one-off rpgs to try a different system or something.

Almagesto
2013-05-02, 12:31 PM
As my local DM, I personally prefer a every other week schedule. Unfortunately, my friends seem to prefer a every four weeks schedule, which is what we use. :smallannoyed:

Yeah, pretty much the same thing here. I wanted to play once a week; and since we started the last game we've only met once a month. Still, it's better than nothing. Also, a problem I usually have is players that are absent. I wish they could at least be consistent in a once-a-month basis.

shadow_archmagi
2013-05-03, 02:50 AM
I'm in two games that meet every-other week because sometimes I spend the weekend in my hometown, and sometimes I stay up at my college town, so both groups either game or don't game based on whether I'm around.

I'm also in a third game that meets whenever the DM can be bothered, which is almost never.

Grim Portent
2013-05-03, 03:32 AM
I generally game once a week unless I've scheduled a game of WH40k, although that doesn't happen often these days, my poor little chaos marines must be feeling neglected. :smallfrown:

Aotrs Commander
2013-05-03, 09:05 AM
Roleplaying, once a week for twenty years (with the same core group of players); for a year or two we had two roleplaying groups that met once a week one seperate days, but have ended up combining the two (and we've had influx of players and now are up to potentially nine, which is it's own ser of possible problems) - plus three or four day sessions per year. Wargames I have been known to play up to once per week, but am currently down to about once every two or three weeks, since a lot of my mates (who also are the roleplayers) can't squeeze that much time or don't have the inclination to play as much anymore.

Gamerlord
2013-05-03, 09:32 AM
Back when I was still playing it was usually about once a week, every now and then twice if everyone had a lot of free time. However, I haven't played in a while, so it's more like zero a week nowadays. :smalltongue:

Sylthia
2013-05-03, 06:22 PM
Currently twice a week. One is a game I DM, and another one of my friends DMs. Back in undergrad I did it once a week, then during medical school it was sporadic, where I'd meet with my group during breaks a few times a year.

Twice a week is perfect for me right now. I only feel comfortable DMing once a week, with the occassional bonus session here or there. I tried DMing two campaigns a week simultaneously several years back, and that's an easy way to get burnt out fast.

Once my residency starts this summer, I'll be lucky to play every other week, but I'd like to play weekly once I'm done with my residency.

Weiser_Cain
2013-05-06, 10:15 PM
Never, I have no friends.

Castaras
2013-05-07, 07:20 AM
Twice a week I have my games society meetings. Then I have 2 other roleplays that go on each week.

So 4/7 days a week I have something gaming related, provided there isn't a bank holiday or I feel too crap to be able to do anything.

Sylthia
2013-05-11, 05:48 PM
Never, I have no friends.

Assuming you're being serious, you can try your local game-store to see if there's any fliers looking for players, and there's also some on-line RPGs now, though I still prefer in-person table topping.