PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepherd: Picking and finding a plane

Pandyman
2013-04-16, 11:12 AM
I'm trying to pick a plane, and I don't want to pick a plane that's too OP. I'm thinking of Lamannia or Syranial, but I still haven't gotten around to picking a plane. Other than the obvious angels in Syrania, are there any good options to pick from that plane?

I kinda want to keep the human-like form, which is why I want to go with Syrania, but any other planar suggestions would be awesome. Also, which book do i look in to find what creatures exist naturally in these planes?

My dm is using my last character as the villain of the campaign because I was the only person that survived a tavern collapsing from a poorly placed blade barrier. This new character is a reward, I'll be level 15 while everyone else is 14. If anyone has any other different suggestions I'm willing to listen to anything.

Vaz
2013-04-16, 12:44 PM
Plane of Shadow; Shadow Dragons? 15HD Dragon with a negative Level inducing Breath Weapon and some pretty awesome abilities all round?

I cannot remember the plane, but one where you can choose a Silver Dragon gives you Alternate Form into a Humanoid.

The Trickster
2013-04-16, 02:27 PM
Iirc, the fire domain gives you the cheese-tastic "wildshape into genie and get three free wishes" ability.

Pandyman
2013-04-16, 03:57 PM
Iirc, the fire domain gives you the cheese-tastic "wildshape into genie and get three free wishes" ability.

Yeah, that's just a little broken. lol

Immabozo
2013-04-16, 04:03 PM

OP is looking for NOT broken planes. Then again, if you just dont USE the broken genie form, the plane of fire isn't half bad. "OH NO, everyone is swarming me! Eat the fires of the Plane of fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And then the fire elemental types are nice. Or on the opposite, plane of cold, same type of tactic, then the cold elementals are sweet, just take the elemental wildshape feat and BOOM! I particularly like the one who can do the ice runes on his body with spells in them and then activate them as a free action, with spells itself and decent stats.

Pandyman
2013-04-16, 04:13 PM
OP is looking for NOT broken planes. Then again, if you just dont USE the broken genie form, the plane of fire isn't half bad. "OH NO, everyone is swarming me! Eat the fires of the Plane of fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And then the fire elemental types are nice. Or on the opposite, plane of cold, same type of tactic, then the cold elementals are sweet, just take the elemental wildshape feat and BOOM! I particularly like the one who can do the ice runes on his body with spells in them and then activate them as a free action, with spells itself and decent stats.

Without the genie, both elemental plane of fire and ice aren't bad. I wanted to do Syrania, but it only gives 3 angelic forms and the prismatic golem form. Lamannia is nice with the ability to extend druid spells and it has a good volume of forms. The biggest problem is searching through the books to find what specific creatures inhabit each plane. I also would like to figure out which dragon magazine has the beast dragon.

Immabozo
2013-04-16, 04:24 PM
Without the genie, both elemental plane of fire and ice aren't bad. I wanted to do Syrania, but it only gives 3 angelic forms and the prismatic golem form. Lamannia is nice with the ability to extend druid spells and it has a good volume of forms. The biggest problem is searching through the books to find what specific creatures inhabit each plane. I also would like to figure out which dragon magazine has the beast dragon.

You hit the nail on the head for my problem with this class. No easy collection of all the plane's inhabitants that I have found. Although, the one with the Balors also has Slaads, pretty decent progression IMO. Playing to goos guy, you could role play the double agent!

Pandyman
2013-04-16, 09:10 PM
Hmm, maybe a good way to go would be the plane that houses Arcanaloths, they have an advancement table and shape change at will. This would allow me to shape change into things that would normally be housed in other planes.

Edit: nevermind the caster level is stuck at 12... darn.

Immabozo
2013-04-17, 12:13 PM
Hmm, maybe a good way to go would be the plane that houses Arcanaloths, they have an advancement table and shape change at will. This would allow me to shape change into things that would normally be housed in other planes.

Edit: nevermind the caster level is stuck at 12... darn.

try searching for "Planar Sheppard Handbook" in google, I'm sure you can find a good one thats not over powered that way..

Psyren
2013-04-17, 03:13 PM
The most powerful, hands down, is Region of Dreams (MotP 201.) Fast time and contains every creature in the game.

Far Realm is another interesting one - time does not flow, so you can do anything you want in an instant on the material. (You may want to make it quick though, to keep your sanity.) Far Realm also has every creature, albeit pseudonatural versions.

Immabozo
2013-04-17, 04:41 PM
Far Realm is another interesting one - time does not flow, so you can do anything you want in an instant on the material. (You may want to make it quick though, to keep your sanity.) Far Realm also has every creature, albeit pseudonatural versions.

an insanely powerful template that does not increase HD and therefore wildshaping requirements? That is amazingly powerful!

nedz
2013-04-17, 08:23 PM
PS Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871574/The_Planar_Shepherd_Handbook)

SaintRidley
2013-04-17, 09:14 PM
an insanely powerful template that does not increase HD and therefore wildshaping requirements? That is amazingly powerful!

DM's likely to use the pseudonatural template from Lords of Madness/Complete Arcane instead of the ELH one.

Psyren
2013-04-17, 11:19 PM
It is the Complete Arcane one, or more precisely, the 3.0 version of such (since MotP came out before Complete Arcane, but their version is clearly the weaker CA one.)

Immabozo
2013-04-17, 11:43 PM
DM's likely to use the pseudonatural template from Lords of Madness/Complete Arcane instead of the ELH one.

Fair point there. I am unfamiliar with the non-ELH ones. Although RAW would make it legal!

SaintRidley
2013-04-18, 12:11 AM
Fair point there. I am unfamiliar with the non-ELH ones. Although RAW would make it legal!

Basically, it's more like the Fiendish/Celestial templates. And then there's the Half-Farspawn template to cover the Half-Fiend/Half-Celestial equivalent.

classy one
2013-04-18, 01:43 AM
Shavarath sounds like the winner. It doesn't have the time flow cheese but you can turn into both angels, archons and even demons and devils. Just seems really cool without all the cheese.

Xoriat seems to be okay too and has cool monsters to morph into. It has weird time traits where one minute there is one hour in the prime. I guess if you needed to go on the lamb for a bit.... Nah the plane of maddness isn't some place I want to spend too much time in.

Immabozo
2013-04-18, 04:12 AM
Shavarath sounds like the winner. It doesn't have the time flow cheese but you can turn into both angels, archons and even demons and devils. Just seems really cool without all the cheese.

Xoriat seems to be okay too and has cool monsters to morph into. It has weird time traits where one minute there is one hour in the prime. I guess if you needed to go on the lamb for a bit.... Nah the plane of maddness isn't some place I want to spend too much time in.

There is always the house rule to ignore time differences. It's either a super nerf or big cheese (depending on which direction it goes).

CIDE
2013-04-18, 07:08 AM
Either the Farplane or Xoriat sound like fun for a Tyler Durden style character when used as a planar shepherd.