SPELLS

Conjure Missiles
Conjuration (creation) (force)
Level: Ranger 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Effect: 2 arrows, bolts or throwing weapons per caster level
Duration: 1 minute; see text.

You conjure a number of arrows, bolts, or throwing weapons you are proficient with. These missiles are made of force and automatically overcome damage reduction, but do not affect creatures immune to force effects. They last for 1 minute, but automatically disappear after being fired or thrown.

As with normal arrows and bolts, a magical bow or crossbow bestows on these missiles the special abilities and enhancement bonus of the ranged weapon when fired.

Trollslayer
Transmutation
Level: Ranger 2
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: Self
Duration: 1 minute/level

Your body courses with power, bestowing on your weapons the ability to defeat foes who shrug off blows from weapons. Any weapon you wield automatically overcomes a creature's regeneration ability, dealing lethal damage that does not get healed every round. Ranged weapons you wield bestow this effect to their ammunition as well, including thrown weapons. Any limbs, appendages or body parts you remove from their body while under the effects of this spell are permanently removed; they cannot regrow or reattach the missing part (except by way of a regenerate spell).

Windforce
Transmutation
Level: Ranger 3
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Touch
Target: Ranged weapon touched
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You imbue your ranged weapon with the power of a terrible windstorm, causing it to batter foes when it strikes them. Once per round, you may declare that you are making a wind-blessed attack with the transmuted weapon. This attack can be part of a full attack action or a standard one, or part of another attack (such as Manyshot). The first attack that successfully hits and deals damage causes powerful winds to batter the foe, based on your caster level:

{table=head]Caster level|Wind effect
5-6|Severe (31-50 mph)
7-8|Windstorm (51-74 mph)
9-10|Hurricane (75-174 mph)
11+|Tornado* (175-300 mph)[/table]

This wind effect affects only the victim, and lasts for 1 round, ceasing to affect the creature at the end of their turn.

*Although tornados normally suck victims in, pick them up and whirl them about, the effects of Windforce simply blast them with a wind of similar strength, thus they are blown away as normal.

Nature's Wrath
Transmutation
Level: Ranger 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: Self plus animal companion
Duration: 1 minute
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

You and your animal companion surge with power, becoming much more devastating combatants. You and your animal companion gain a +10 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, 1d8 temporary hit points per caster level, and the effects of a freedom of movement and a mind blank spell.

Divine focus: An intricately carved and richly adorned statuette of yourself and your current animal companion worth at least 2,000 gp.

FEATS

Sly Hunter
Prerequisites: Favored enemy, sneak attack +2d6
Benefit: Your ranger and rogue levels stack for the purposes of determining the damage of your sneak attack and when you select additional favored enemies as well as the total bonus granted against your favored enemies. For example, a 2nd-level Ranger/3rd-level Rogue would deal 3d6 points of bonus damage on a sneak attack, and would have 2 Favored Enemies (or extra bonuses against one favored enemy).
In addition, your sneak attack extra damage applies against any creature you have selected as a favored enemy, even if it is immune to extra damage from critical hits or sneak attacks.
Special: A rogue may choose Sly Hunter in place of one of her rogue special abilities (gained at 10th, 13th, 16th and 19th levels).

Hawk's Perception
Prerequisites: Spot 5 ranks
Benefit: The penalty for distance when using spot checks is halved: you suffer a -1 penalty for every 20 feet of distance between you and your target. In addition, you don't suffer a penalty for being distracted.
If you have 13 or more ranks in Spot, the distance you can see is doubled; instead of suffering a -1 penalty for every 20 feet, you now only suffer a -1 penalty for every 40 feet between you and your target.
Normal: You suffer a -1 penatly to Spot checks for every 10 feet between you and your target, and suffer a -5 penalty if you are distracted.

Hunter's Wrath
Prerequisites: Rage 2/day, favored enemy
Benefit: Your ranger and barbarian levels stack for the purposes of determining how many times per day you can rage, as well as when you gain the greater rage, tireless rage and mighty rage abilities. For example, a 4th-level Barbarian/8th-level Ranger has Greater Rage and can rage 4 times per day.
In addition, if you engage in combat that includes a foe who is also a favored enemy, you can fly into a rage instantly (as an immediate action). The duration of the rage lasts until all favored enemies in the encounter are dead, and continues for the normal duration afterwards.

Volley
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6, Rapid Shot
Benefit: When using your Rapid Shot feat, you can make two extra attacks instead of one. These extra attacks are at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in the round (the extra two and the normal ones) take a -4 penalty instead of a -2 penalty.
Special: A fighter may select Volley as one of his fighter bonus feats.
Note: The penalty from this feat is not removed by the Improved Rapid Shot feat.

Improved Volley
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +11, Rapid Shot, Volley
Benefit: When using your Rapid Shot feat, you can make three extra attacks instead of one. These extra attacks are at your highest base attack bonus, but each attack you make in the round (the extra three and the normal ones) take a -6 penalty instead of a -2 penalty.
Special: A fighter may select Improved Volley as one of his fighter bonus feats.
Note: The penalty from this feat is not removed by the Improved Rapid Shot feat.

Masterful Manyshot
Prerequisites: Dex 21, Manyshot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, base attack bonus +16
Benefit: You may use Rapid Shot while using your Manyshot feat.
Special: A fighter may select Masterful Manyshot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Power Shot
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: You may use your Power Attack feat in conjunction with a bow or crossbow. With a bow or crossbow, you gain 1 point of bonus damage for every 1 point of attack penalty you take; with composite bows, you gain 1.5 points of bonus damage (rounded down) for every 1 point of attack penalty you take.
Normal: You cannot use Power Attack with ranged weapons.
Special: A fighter may select Power Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats. A ranger may select Power Shot as a bonus feat if he selects the Archery fighting style in place of the feat normally offered at 6th or 11th level.

Sniper's Shot
Prerequisites: Spot 9 ranks, Base attack bonus +6
Benefit: You may "give up" attacks in a full attack action to gain improved clarity on all other attacks made in that full attack action. Each attack in a full attack action that you "give up" grants you a +4 bonus to hit and a +1 bonus to critical threat range with all other attacks in the full attack action. This critical threat range increase stacks with all other critical threat range increases. You cannot give up all attacks in a full attack action when using this feat.
For example, if you have a base attack bonus of +12 and can make 4 attacks in a full attack action (3 from your base attack bonus and 1 from Rapid Shot), you can give up 3 of them to gain a +12 bonus on the attack roll of the fourth attack, and gain a +3 bonus to the critical threat range with that attack.
Special: A fighter may select Sniper's Shot as one of his fighter bonus feats. A ranger may select Sniper's Shot as a bonus feat if he selects the Archery fighting style in place of the feat normally offered at 6th or 11th level.

Nature's Swiftness
Prerequisites: Wisdom 14, able to cast 1st-level Ranger spells
Benefit: You can cast two swift action Ranger spells each round. In addition, you may cast Ranger spells with a cast time of 1 standard action as swift actions, and Ranger spells with a cast time of 1 full round action as a standard action. This feat doesn't affect Ranger spells with a cast time longer than 1 full round action.
Special: A ranger may select Nature's Swiftness as a bonus feat in place of a favored enemy. He must still meet the prerequisites to take it.

Hunter's Arsenal
Benefit: Select a 1st-level Ranger spell you know. You may spontaneously convert any other 1st-level spell you have prepared into that spell. The spell is still divine even if you use an arcane spell slot to cast it. When you gain access to 2nd-level Ranger spells, you can select one of those, and may spontaneously convert any other 2nd-level spell you have prepared into that spell. You can do the same with 3rd-level Ranger spells and 4th-level Ranger spells when you gain access to them.
Special: A ranger may select Hunter's Arsenal as a bonus feat in place of a favored enemy. He must still meet the prerequisites to take it.

================================================

The intent behind these spells and feats was to give rangers and archery in general some love - mostly because I find both to be lacking, even with huge splatbook support.

Derjuin
2013-04-17, 04:34 PM
Edited to clarify some things, as well as change the function of Nature's Swiftness to be a little bit better.

PEACHes welcome...!

Amechra
2013-04-17, 04:49 PM
May I suggest a feat to allow them to treat wind strength as just extra range increments?

So you can still fire a bow in a hurricane, and the like.

Ihala
2013-04-17, 05:22 PM
As a fan of the ranger class I like what you've done here. In fact, before this reply, I added Volley to my homebrew players handbook as well as modified versions of Nature's Wrath, Conjure Missiles, and Nature's Swiftness.

I think Conjure Missiles deserves a longer duration, such as 1 minute/level. one minute just doesn't seem long enough to me.

Trollslayer seems fine as it is, though maybe should instead effect a weapon? Windforce seems fine, though I'm not too familiar with rules for strong winds.

Nature's Wrath is a cool idea, making a ranger and his animal powerful forces of nature, but I think the +10 bonus is too much, maybe reduce it and make it based on caster level? Also why Mindblank? It just doesn't seem the make sense to me and seems tacked on.

The archery feats all look good, but how would Power Shot work on crossbows? To increase their damage you would need to increase the draw, but that would increase the reload time not reduce accuracy. I think naming it something like Called Shot and removing reference to Power Attack would make more sense; reduced chance to hit because you are aiming for a specific vulnerable area.

Also Sniper's Shot implies that the attacks that you give up are the first ones you are entitled to, so the one(s) gaining the bonus are your attacks that already have a lower bonus to hit. The way i read your example you give up your first two attacks and your rapid shot attack to make your third iterative attack have a bonus of +12, but it is already at a -10 to hit for being the third attack and a -2 for rapid shot, so it only breaks out even. I would reduce the bonus but have it apply to the first attack(s) instead. This might be your intention anyway, but I misinterpreted it.

Finally I think Nature's Swiftness is a cool idea, one that is similar to something I made for a player's psychic warrior, but I think that casting entangle and such as swift actions isn't a good idea. When I adapted this feat for my player's handbook I limited it to Ranger spells that are cast on either the ranger himself or his animal companion. I don't think a Ranger casting entangle as a swift action is overpowered, but it just doesn't seem right.

Overall I like what you've done here.

Devronq
2013-04-21, 11:32 PM
I like it for the most part but ya what exactly happens when you use rapid shot and many shot together, since many shot is one attack would it give you two many shots fired together as a standard action?

TuggyNE
2013-04-22, 01:16 AM
Your body courses with power, bestowing on your weapons the ability to defeat foes who shrug off blows from weapons. Any weapon you wield automatically overcomes a creature's regeneration ability, dealing lethal damage that does not get healed every round.

Should this only apply to weapons wielded at the time you cast the spell? (If so, it shouldn't have a somatic component, to ensure you can cast it while TWFing.)

You and your animal companion gain a +10 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, 1d8 temporary hit points per caster level, and the effects of a freedom of movement and a mind blank spell.

The attack bonus and mind blank do seem a bit excessive.

Sly Hunter
Prerequisites: Favored enemy, sneak attack +2d6
Benefit:[…]In addition, your sneak attack extra damage applies against any creature you have selected as a favored enemy, even if it is immune to extra damage from critical hits or sneak attacks.

There's nothing wrong with this feat except the full sneak attack part, which seems to me to make the only useful Rogue damage build one that includes as many levels of Ranger as possible, and probably nearly always the same. That's not really the best idea. (It's bad enough that Swift Hunter channels a lot of Scouts into Ranger levels, but Rogue and Ranger aren't even as similar.)

Hawk's Perception

Does this stack with Cragtop Archer's similar ability? It should, I think.

Volley
[…]Note: The penalty from this feat is not removed by the Improved Rapid Shot feat.

It seems odd that there's no benefit to having Improved Rapid Shot here at all; at least let it lower -4 to -2?

Improved Volley
[…]Note: The penalty from this feat is not removed by the Improved Rapid Shot feat.

Same song, second verse.

Masterful Manyshot
Prerequisites: Dex 21, Manyshot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, base attack bonus +16
Benefit: You may use Rapid Shot while using your Manyshot feat.

What does this even mean? Do you make two full Manyshots? (Brokenly good.) Do you make one additional attack within your Manyshot with an additional attack roll and a further penalty to all? (Useful for additional precision damage, but not a must-have.) Or what?

Power Shot
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Point Blank Shot
Benefit: You may use your Power Attack feat in conjunction with a bow or crossbow. With a bow or crossbow, you gain 1 point of bonus damage for every 1 point of attack penalty you take; with composite bows, you gain 1.5 points of bonus damage (rounded down) for every 1 point of attack penalty you take.

Do want!

Nature's Swiftness
Benefit: You can cast two swift action Ranger spells each round. In addition, you may cast Ranger spells with a cast time of 1 standard action as swift actions, and Ranger spells with a cast time of 1 full round action as a standard action. This feat doesn't affect Ranger spells with a cast time longer than 1 full round action.

Wait, you can convert two standard action Ranger spells to swifts and cast them both in a round? That seems pretty amazingly good. Too good, even. If it let you cast a single normally-swift-action-spell as a free action every round, that'd be OK, but still quite strong.

Hunter's Arsenal
[…]Special: A ranger may select Hunter's Arsenal as a bonus feat in place of a favored enemy. He must still meet the prerequisites to take it.

Maybe allow this to be taken more than once, with a different set of spells each time.