PDA

View Full Version : Ubermonk charger

tricktroller
2013-04-16, 05:16 PM
Ok folks so I am playing an E6 game and want to make an uber charging monk.

My plans so far are. Monk 4 / Fighter 2
Human Power Attack
1st Flying Kick
m1 Improved grapple/ stunning fist doesn;t matter
m2 combat reflexes
3rd reckless charge?
f1 powerful charge
6th Improved natural attack
f2 greater powerful charge

On a charge he deals 4d6 + 1d12 +2 damage with the ability to power attack for up to 5.

Not too shabby in my own opinion but what do you folks think?
Also what do you folks think about decisive strike so that when I do my charge I double my damage since it is part of a full round action, or am I reading that wrong?

Man on Fire
2013-04-16, 05:36 PM
Some suggestions:
1) Pick up superior Unarmed Strike from Tome of Battle
2) You might be interested in either picking up Talashadora feat for Psychic Warrior, or taking Psionci Fist Prestige Class, and get Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm)
3) Pick up Half-ogre] or Half Minotaur templates from Dragon Magazine
4) 2 levels in Drunken Master allow you charge in other ways than straight line
5) Take Fist of the Forest Prestige Class, you will need it.
6) There are some ways to make good Gung-Fu Bear that can be ubercharger:
* Take Broodguard template (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/yuanti.shtml) and go Monk 4/Fighter 1/Drunken Master 2/Fist of the Forest 3/Bear Warrior 5/Warshaper 5
* become Half Orc and go Monk 4/Half-Orc Paragon 3/ Fist of the Forest 3/Bear Warrior 5/Warhaper 5
* Take Chaos Monk variant from some Draon Magazine and go Chaos Monk 4/Barbarian 4/Fis of the Forest 3/Bear Warrior 5/Warshaper 4 (or declare yourself Ex-Monk after those 4 levels and change alignment, then you can go with regular monk)

In all of those you could limit levels of monk to 2 (prefferably for Drunken Master 2) and grab something to make your strike magical, but I preffer to know Fist of the Forest lets me attack incoropteral without risk wizard will dispell me or something.

7) Monk' Belt is always a good choice.
8) You might want to ignore flurry of blows and take standard feats for ubercharger: Power Attack, Cleave, Battle Jump, Leap Attack, Shock Tropper.
9)Goliats give you powerful build. That may be good choice for you - take it and pick up oversized monk weapons

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-16, 05:44 PM
A charger with no pounce? Lion Tribe Warrior works well with flurry, and if you're only dipping Monk, you could call yourself an ex-Monk and also dip some Barb for the usual whirling frenzy and pounce.

If you don't care for your Monk feats, it's a good sign that you should either pick a fighting style (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) with some feats you do care about, or grab another variant that swaps that class feature out (the Holy monk from dragon magazine that gets turn undead is usually a good call, since a turn undead pool can fuel domain feats, even if you've dumped charisma).

Powerful and greater powerful charge aren't all that great, but if you're in E6, feats aren't exactly at a premium.

Sith_Happens
2013-04-16, 06:00 PM
Needs more Leap Attack and Shock Trooper.

Lans
2013-04-16, 07:49 PM
Martial monk can grab any 3 fighter feats, snow tiger berserker gives pounce with light weapons and is a fighter feat,other feat can be shock trooper

Pickford
2013-04-17, 01:43 AM
Ok folks so I am playing an E6 game and want to make an uber charging monk.

My plans so far are. Monk 4 / Fighter 2
Human Power Attack
1st Flying Kick
m1 Improved grapple/ stunning fist doesn;t matter
m2 combat reflexes
3rd reckless charge?
f1 powerful charge
6th Improved natural attack
f2 greater powerful charge

On a charge he deals 4d6 + 1d12 +2 damage with the ability to power attack for up to 5.

Not too shabby in my own opinion but what do you folks think?
Also what do you folks think about decisive strike so that when I do my charge I double my damage since it is part of a full round action, or am I reading that wrong?

Take stunning fist and then you can get fiery fist (PHBII) at 2nd instead of combat reflexes. It's an extra 1d6 damage. You can also net an extra 1d6 if you have combat expertise and deadly defense (CS)

Twisted charge skill trick (CS) and/or walk the walls (CS)

I would seriously consider Drunken Master as it nets you the ability to charge someone who's standing next to you. (And make a DC 15 tumble check to prevent all AoO)

Leap Attack (CA);

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 09:03 AM
The reason for no pounce is almost no acf's are allowed. I will have a full restricted list probably this sunday. However, leap attack is a great choice especially since I have power attack. No shock trooper because my BAB will cap at 5. Fiery fist while cool is bab 8 which I will also never get.

Just to be clear everyone this is an E6 game where you stop actually leveling at level 6 and gain specific benefits each time you earn "level 7."

Powerful charge and GPC aren't optimal true but that is why I am posting on here. I am looking to maximize damage output at all times but I really like the idea of running up and punching someone in the face like a mack truck.

Also I don't think any prc will be allowed but how would you make a drunken master charger in e6 with no ACF's?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-17, 10:01 AM
The reason for no pounce is almost no acf's are allowed.
The Barbarian ACF isn't the only way to get pounce. I mentioned the Lion Tribe Warrior feat because it's available to humans, works specifically with light weapons (like unarmed strikes) and its major limitation (one weapon, or one attack from two weapons) is basically ignored by flurry-users.

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 10:03 AM
Where is that feat located at?

Darrin
2013-04-17, 10:35 AM
Where is that feat located at?

Forgotten Realms: Shining South.

How about:

Race: Frostblood Orc
1) Battle Dancer 1. Feat: Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws). Bonus: Improved Unarmed Strike.
2) Fighter 1. Bonus: Power Attack.
3) Fighter 2. Feat: Travel Devotion. Bonus: Reckless/Powerful Charge.
4) Ranger 1. Bonus: Track.
5) Ranger 2. Bonus: TWF.
6) Ranger 3. Feat: Snap Kick or Leap Attack. Bonus: Endurance swap for Open Least Chakra (Hands). Dragonborn of Bahumat: Swap Track for Dragon Tail.

+6 BAB. Pounce with natural weapons. Two iteratives + TWF + Snap Kick + Dragon Tail = 5 attacks (assuming your DM allows unarmed strikes to be primary and offhand at the same time).

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 11:10 AM
lol I believe we are using only races out of PHB and I doubt anything campaign specific will be allowed. So probably no Forgotten realms, eberron, etc. Also I'd rather not use incarnum. We haven't used it yet and I am sure I will hear a bunch of issues with it from the DM.

Fates
2013-04-17, 11:22 AM
Snip

Eh-hem. It's e6.

Mato
2013-04-17, 11:23 AM
Sandals of Tiger's Leap out of Sword and Fist costs 3,500gp, it's significantly cheaper than +1 Valorous and affordable at the 6th level.

It's a shame on no ACFs, that's where the real Monk power can be found. Try to talk your DM into Invisible Fist out of Exemplars of Evil at least, it trades Evasion for a nearly At-Will Immediate Action Invisibility for one round by the 2nd level.

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 11:41 AM
Well if he does allow them it will probably be from completes phb2 and that's it. No racial subs are allowed either and UA is right out. I get kind of annoyed with all the restrictions but I understand wanting to limit stuff for our first e6 campaign.

I was wondering how decisive strike acf worked with a charge..... That would be worth it in my opinion. I like doubling damage with leap attack and my 4d6+1d12

Flickerdart
2013-04-17, 11:48 AM
I was wondering how decisive strike acf worked with a charge.....
It doesn't. Both are full-round actions, you can't combine them.

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 12:14 PM
Ok I misread it. I thought it was worded like fighting defensively. I thought it said as part of a full round action.

Pickford
2013-04-17, 01:30 PM
The reason for no pounce is almost no acf's are allowed. I will have a full restricted list probably this sunday. However, leap attack is a great choice especially since I have power attack. No shock trooper because my BAB will cap at 5. Fiery fist while cool is bab 8 which I will also never get.

Just to be clear everyone this is an E6 game where you stop actually leveling at level 6 and gain specific benefits each time you earn "level 7."

Powerful charge and GPC aren't optimal true but that is why I am posting on here. I am looking to maximize damage output at all times but I really like the idea of running up and punching someone in the face like a mack truck.

Also I don't think any prc will be allowed but how would you make a drunken master charger in e6 with no ACF's?

Ah e6...I am not sure that's possible since you have to meet the prerequisites first, and 8 ranks of tumble isn't possible till 5th level (presumably one can't take the 1st level of drunken master and have it supply the last rank of tumble). If you can convince your DM that's ok though, 4 levels monk, 2 levels Drunken Master.

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 01:36 PM
lol that's probably not going to happen.

nedz
2013-04-17, 02:37 PM
Unless you have BAB of 6+, Natural attacks, TWF or Flurry; Pounce isn't too much use in E6.

There are these feats

Two-Weapon Pounce PH2 p84
PreReqs: Dex 15, BAB +6, TWF
One attack with each of your two weapons

Lion’s Pounce (CDiv p82)
PreReqs: Wild Shape class ability (i.e. Druid 5)
1 Wild shape usage gets you pounce for 1 hour

Catfolk Pounce RotW p148
PreReqs: Catfolk, Dex 13
I'm guessing Catgirls are out ?

tricktroller
2013-04-17, 03:18 PM
In all honesty I don't need to pounce at all. I am planning on running up and getting one massive swing off every turn.

nedz
2013-04-17, 03:28 PM
In which case you might be interested in the Decisive Strike ACF (PHB 2, p 51)
It replaces Flurry with a single attack for double damage.

It's normally used on AoO builds, but I guess you could do that too ?

tricktroller
2013-04-18, 08:59 AM
isn't decisive strike a full round action?

WhatBigTeeth
2013-04-18, 12:42 PM
It is, but the damage multiplier carries around until the monk's next turn. It plays well with things like Snake's Swiftness.

Flickerdart
2013-04-18, 12:43 PM
Decisive Strike + Knockdown is a good combo, because then you get a second attack at double damage from Improved Trip if you manage to knock them down, and then a third attack at double damage if they try and get up.

tricktroller
2013-04-18, 01:01 PM
hmmm didn't think of that combo.