PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun Style Steampunk D20?

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-16, 07:16 PM
To clarify, I'm looking for a game system that can handle a Steampunk setting (1750-1860 tech/flavor) with tech and magic being major components of the system. Basically, Fable 2 as an RPG.

My only caveat is that it must be a D20 game. Preferably balanced, but I can adjust an already built system far more easily than craft one on my own. My players like the swinginess of the d20 (as do I), and we're partial to Lethal games that allow enough room for some Errol Flynn swashbuckling shenanigans.

Anything that's similar to Iron Kingdoms mixed with Iron Heroes also works (I'm also all-ears if someone knows how to easily combine these two!).

Rhynn
2013-04-16, 08:01 PM
Not sure what Shadowrun has to do with this...

Etherscope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etherscope). d20 steampunk-magicpunk-cyberpunk. Victorian setting. IIRC the titular Etherscope is a magical device that lets you do a magic version of cyberpunk virtual hacking.

Theoretically a perfect fit for you, but I don't recall how good it is. (Most d20 games are crap; but it's not a d20 conversion, so it's somewhat ahead.)

CombatOwl
2013-04-16, 08:23 PM
Zeitgeist does this for Pathfinder. Also not sure what Shadowrun has to do with this.

Alternately, just do the old d20 Iron Kingdoms?

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-16, 09:19 PM
Shadowrun: D6 Magic + Tech Dystopia
What I'm asking for: D20 Magic + Tech Dystopia.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Thread name is fixed.

I will definitely look at Etherscope and Zeitgeist. The only reason I don't want to use Iron Kingdoms as is, is due to a dislike for the classes. I'd prefer a classless/Skill Based system. I might have to make my own if no such thing exists.

In any case, please keep the suggestions coming!

NoldorForce
2013-04-16, 09:22 PM
Zeitgeist does this for Pathfinder. Also not sure what Shadowrun has to do with this.

Alternately, just do the old d20 Iron Kingdoms?d20 was a cancer on the side of Iron Kingdoms and I'm glad to see it gone.

@OP: I know that you requested d20, but based on what you said you may prefer something else. It sounds like you prefer something that is/has:
Swingy. d20 does this decently, so no issue here.
Lethal. d20 really doesn't do this well beyond low levels. D&D itself can do this if you're playing a rocket-tag game, but that also runs you straight into either "everything is a crapshoot" land or "everything is ten pages of bookkeeping" territory.
Capacity to do cool/dramatic stuff. d20 doesn't do this well at all unless you get into some tightly defined sectors in the rules. (Tome of Battle for instance.)

That said, I've heard decent things about Etherscope from some of my gaming friends. (Some of them couldn't distinguish a well-designed game from a rubbish one, but they had fun and that's ultimately most important.) If you're open to some other ideas you could try out either the new Iron Kingdoms stuff or an L5R hack.

Edit: d20 also doesn't do classless/skill-based well; it's the grandfather of class-based after all.

Rhynn
2013-04-16, 09:36 PM
I'd prefer a classless/Skill Based system. I might have to make my own if no such thing exists.

But... you want d20? d20 is class-and-level-based.

If you're willing to look more broadly, there's bound to be other, possibly better options - although, honestly, I can't off-hand think of one that combines the time period AND magic AND steampunk.

Victoriana is, pretty much literally, Victorian Shadowrun. 2nd edition beats 1st. You'd need to add tech.

Forgotten Futures is Victorian Verneish steampunk. You'd need to add magic.

Space 1889 is a classic, Victorian spacefaring adventure. You'd need to add magic.

Ninjadeadbeard
2013-04-16, 11:10 PM
d20 was a cancer on the side of Iron Kingdoms and I'm glad to see it gone.

Wow. Little harsh, but I understand that D20 is not in good standing with a lot of folks here. I don't understand why, but that's me.

@OP: I know that you requested d20, but based on what you said you may prefer something else. It sounds like you prefer something that is/has:
Swingy. d20 does this decently, so no issue here.
Lethal. d20 really doesn't do this well beyond low levels. D&D itself can do this if you're playing a rocket-tag game, but that also runs you straight into either "everything is a crapshoot" land or "everything is ten pages of bookkeeping" territory.
Capacity to do cool/dramatic stuff. d20 doesn't do this well at all unless you get into some tightly defined sectors in the rules. (Tome of Battle for instance.)

That said, I've heard decent things about Etherscope from some of my gaming friends. (Some of them couldn't distinguish a well-designed game from a rubbish one, but they had fun and that's ultimately most important.) If you're open to some other ideas you could try out either the new Iron Kingdoms stuff or an L5R hack.

We like the "swingy" because we're all into the idea of "chance". We play a little old school that way (at the hands of cruel, cruel chance). Using the Wounds/Vitality variant makes D&D exceptionally lethal in my experience (and isn't much more bookeeping than standard). But yes, cool/dramatic stuff tends to be downplayed for non-spellcasters in most D20. It's a bit tactical-minded.

As for Etherscope, I...I'm always underwhelmed by D20 Modern. It just feels...flat. I'll have a look anyway. Where can I find the New Iron Kingdoms? Or, what system does it use these days?

Edit: d20 also doesn't do classless/skill-based well; it's the grandfather of class-based after all.

But... you want d20? d20 is class-and-level-based.

I'll just say Mutants and Masterminds, and leave it at that.

Victoriana is, pretty much literally, Victorian Shadowrun. 2nd edition beats 1st. You'd need to add tech.

No tech rules in a game called Victoriana? Seems odd. What system is that?

Forgotten Futures is Victorian Verneish steampunk. You'd need to add magic.

This seems like a good idea, depending on how the tech and combat rolls.

Space 1889 is a classic, Victorian spacefaring adventure. You'd need to add magic.

Space might be a bit off of what I'm aiming for, but I'll take it under consideration.

Rhynn
2013-04-17, 08:32 AM
I'll just say Mutants and Masterminds, and leave it at that.

That's the only one, and vastly different from all the rest, which are close to interchangeable.

If you want classless d20, M&M is basically it. (And it's still not a skill-based game, it's point-and-level-based, with skills playing a pretty minor role.)

No tech rules in a game called Victoriana? Seems odd. What system is that?

It's own system(s; the 2nd edition uses a different one than the 1st), or at least I don't recognize it as the same as anything else. It's really not about steampunk, it's more the actual Victorian age (which was very low on submarines and spaceships), but with a Shadowrun Awakening thrown in some centuries previously.