PDA

View Full Version : New baby and cat help

nysisobli
2013-04-16, 07:53 PM
Me and my wife are about to have a new baby, the house we are renting doesnt have any doors, except for a bathroom door and a front door, we are trying to figure out a low cost solution to keep the cat barricaded over night while the baby sleeps in the crib. Any advice? links if needed

Grinner
2013-04-16, 08:29 PM
Are you trying to keep the cat out of the baby's crib, or are you trying to keep the cat from disturbing the baby?

In the case of the former, you can secure a net over the crib to keep the cat from getting in.

Traab
2013-04-16, 08:51 PM
You can get a cheap interior door for 17-30 bucks at home depot. Get a drill and a screwdriver and you can probably set one up fairly easy. Not sure on the cost of frames though.

angrymudcrab
2013-04-16, 10:01 PM
Depending on how wide the doors are, you could get a series of baby gates(basically they are expanding plastic things designed to keep babies out of rooms you don't want them in). You will have to get more than one, since cats can jump and climb. But you could theoretically block off the door entirely with them, and take them down in the morning. Their viability does kind of depend on the door width, but if they work you won't have to risk angering the landlord by drilling holes in the wall. The cat will probably meow for a bit at being blocked from a room he is used to having access to. My cat always meowed and pawed at the door to my bedroom if I closed it at night.

valadil
2013-04-16, 10:10 PM
In the case of the former, you can secure a net over the crib to keep the cat from getting in.

This isn't some jury rigged MacGuvyer net. They actually make crib nets. My coworker uses one to keep his daughter from escaping the crib at night.

nysisobli
2013-04-18, 09:42 AM
All these ideas have merit, im going to look into them all actually, i will price everything and get back to you all, thanks for your help

nysisobli
2013-04-18, 11:17 PM
Ok, so what we decided upon was an accordion door, here is a link
http://www.doitbest.com/4294966140-Accordion+doors.dib
So if anyone else is having similar problems this may help :D
Thank you all very much.