PDA

View Full Version : Per PHB?

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 09:33 PM
So i was looking at steel pricing in the planar metals pdf for 3.5 and it said per PHB, no price. What does this mean?

Skysaber
2013-04-16, 09:43 PM
So i was looking at steel pricing in the planar metals pdf for 3.5 and it said per PHB, no price. What does this mean?

I believe it's not referring to the bulk material, but rather finished items. So if you want to buy steel long swords, or armor, then just use those prices already printed in the PHB, as that's what they are.

No clue what price steel would be per pound, save they have a tendency to treat both steel and iron interchangeably.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-16, 10:23 PM
1 lb. of iron is 1sp according to the PHB. hardness and health is the base stats for metal weapons.

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 10:23 PM
I believe it's not referring to the bulk material, but rather finished items. So if you want to buy steel long swords, or armor, then just use those prices already printed in the PHB, as that's what they are.

No clue what price steel would be per pound, save they have a tendency to treat both steel and iron interchangeably.

Aww man, Im making a hulking hurler that just throws 3200 pound steel balls everywhere

Fates
2013-04-16, 10:26 PM
Aww man, Im making a hulking hurler that just throws 3200 pound steel balls everywhere

You could easily make them out of pure iron.

Also, eek. :smalleek:

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 10:33 PM
You could easily make them out of pure iron.

Also, eek. :smalleek:

Pure iron? and lol yeah, hulking hurler and war hulk is a deadly combination, and if I can I might just add a simple +1 magical enhancement onto them so they cant be shattered. Oh, and they also are going to be chained to my arms so i can pull them back at will.:smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2013-04-16, 10:46 PM
Pure iron?
Sure. As noted, D&D doesn't often make a distinction between iron and steel.. and since Hulking Hurler damage is strictly by weight regardless of the actual material it doesn't make much difference.

Re: Shatter

Alternatively, you can target shatter against a single solid object, regardless of composition, weighing up to 10 pounds per caster level.

You probably don't need to worry about it, unless your DM's world is regularly populated with things that can cast Shatter at Caster Level 320 :smalltongue:
(still worth getting them enchanted for dealing with incorporeals and the like, although check with your DM and make sure that doesn't cause them to stop qualifying for the damage-by-weight chart- if you manage to turn them into just Huge Orcish Shotput +5 or whatever, your damage output is going to drop tremendously.)

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 10:48 PM
Sure. As noted, D&D doesn't often make a distinction between iron and steel.. and since Hulking Hurler damage is strictly by weight regardless of the actual material it doesn't make much difference.

Re: Shatter

You probably don't need to worry about it, unless your DM's world is regularly populated with things that can cast Shatter at Caster Level 320 :smalltongue:
(still worth getting them enchanted for dealing with incorporeals and the like, although check with your DM and make sure that doesn't cause them to stop qualifying for the damage-by-weight chart- if you manage to turn them into just Huge Orcish Shotput +5 or whatever, your damage output is going to drop tremendously.)
I'd assume that they would do the same amount

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 10:49 PM
Another question is, can i make these Balls of steel:smallbiggrin: large? or what size category would they have to be?

tyckspoon
2013-04-16, 11:00 PM
I'd assume that they would do the same amount

They wouldn't. The Hulking Hurler gets its best damage by (ab)using the damage-by-weight chart for Improvised Weapons.. keyword there, Improvised. If you use a *real* weapon (such as would usually be required to enchant, since you can't deliberately craft an improvised weapon to be a masterwork-quality weapon), then you use the PHB charts for increasing damage by weapon size instead. Also, Overburdened Heave allows you to throw any item you can carry as a Medium Load.. or a Weapon 2 sizes greater than yourself. So an Orcish Shotput would (in 3.5 weapon sizes) be a 2-handed weapon that does 2d6 damage. Overburdened Heave would let you throw a Huge one, which would do 4d6 damage. You could put enhancements on that.

Or you could throw a crude chunk of spiky iron, which is a 3200 lb Improvised Weapon that does damage as if it weighed 6400 lb. That would deal 35d6 damage. But you can't enchant it, because it's not really a weapon.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-04-16, 11:00 PM
Well, the volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi times radius cubed. The density of steel is somewhere between 484 and 503 pounds per cubic foot. Simplifying that to 500lb/ft^3, math gives us 6.4 cubic feet of shot, or... 1.15 feet in radius-- 2.3 feet in diameter. That seems too small, but it's possible that I'm just too tired to number right now. In any case, no idea what size category weapon that would be.

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 11:07 PM
They wouldn't. The Hulking Hurler gets its best damage by (ab)using the damage-by-weight chart for Improvised Weapons.. keyword there, Improvised. If you use a *real* weapon (such as would usually be required to enchant, since you can't deliberately craft an improvised weapon to be a masterwork-quality weapon), then you use the PHB charts for increasing damage by weapon size instead. Also, Overburdened Heave allows you to throw any item you can carry as a Medium Load.. or a Weapon 2 sizes greater than yourself. So an Orcish Shotput would (in 3.5 weapon sizes) be a 2-handed weapon that does 2d6 damage. Overburdened Heave would let you throw a Huge one, which would do 4d6 damage. You could put enhancements on that.

Or you could throw a crude chunk of spiky iron, which is a 3200 lb Improvised Weapon that does damage as if it weighed 6400 lb. That would deal 35d6 damage. But you can't enchant it, because it's not really a weapon.
I forgot about the masterwork thing, But still, just dropping 3200lbs balls on people will do **** tons, and lol they cost so damn little i could just buy like 20 backups for nothing

Tuki Tuki
2013-04-16, 11:08 PM
Well, the volume of a sphere is 4/3 pi times radius cubed. The density of steel is somewhere between 484 and 503 pounds per cubic foot. Simplifying that to 500lb/ft^3, math gives us 6.4 cubic feet of shot, or... 1.15 feet in radius-- 2.3 feet in diameter. That seems too small, but it's possible that I'm just too tired to number right now. In any case, no idea what size category weapon that would be.
I'm terrible at algebra:smallsigh:

tyckspoon
2013-04-16, 11:25 PM

For visual reference/analogy, assuming this number is correct: 2.3 feet would be about 3 times the size of a regulation 10-pin bowling ball. So while it sounds like a smallish number, you're talking about a sphere of solid metal that is too large to comfortably palm in a single hand.

Flickerdart
2013-04-16, 11:28 PM
Don't incorporeal creatures need to be within 5 feet of a surface? You could whomp 'em with a solid block of wood or something and they wouldn't be able to get out from underneath/inside.

NeoPhoenix0
2013-04-17, 01:51 AM
a 2.3 diameter ball of steel would be a small or tiny sized object, not sure where the dividing line is. you could use the same amount of material to make an object the shape of a big door and it would be large or a 6 to 8 ft diameter hollow ball if it must be a ball. object size is more of a matter of shape than mass.