PDA

View Full Version : Running Jade Regent one-on-one this weekend. HELP!

DireRabbit
2013-04-16, 11:16 PM
So I'm gonna be running Brinewall Legacy part 1: Fires Over Brinestump this weekend. I don't have much experience as a GM. Does anyone have any tips for me? Maybe a solo conversion?
My player is a wizard. She doesn't want a ton of NPC tagalongs (especially none higher level than her) and neither of us is interested in a DMPC. What level should she be? Should she get extra magic gear like scrolls or wands to compensate for being solo? What kind?
As for the encounters, can a single wizard handle them? How should I modify them to be challenging but not a death sentance?
Please, PLEASE help!

BWR
2013-04-17, 12:16 AM
As both a player and GM of several long-standing one-on-one stories, I have some insight into the problems.
Remember that she's going to have to take damage about 4 times as long as she would have with a full party and she's restricted by the fact that she'll empty herself of spells quickly.

So my suggestions:
1) higher level. Let her start off as at least 3rd level. Some more hp, some better saves, more spells and more powerful spells.

2) higher stats: I know some of the fun is rolling good stats and all, but she'll need all the help she can get. Constitution for hp, and Dexterity for AC. At least a 2 point increase, possibly 4.

3) bonus feats. Perhaps better than higher stats, give her Toughness as a bonus feat, possibly adding things like Dodge, Saving Throw boosters, or even Improved Initative.

4) one NPC. Unless both of you are really adamant about doing this solo, give her an NPC shield grog. A guy or gal whose sole job is to tank. You can treat this as a hireling. Give it a share of the money loot, but other than that, it won't have a role in the party. It won't come into consideration in talky situations, won't be spoken to unless the two of you want some interaction, and at worst (or best) you have a convenient way to slip advice and nudge the player in the right direction (like making critical Perception or Sense Motive checks when the PC fails).
If you have a shield grog, allow it to do its job. The opponents will target it first, leaving the PC free to act for a round or two.

4) gear. More magic items area good idea. Wands and scrolls especially. And suggest that she put a lot of ranks in Use Magic Device so she can use Cure wands. The lack of divine casting can really hurt a party, especially a squishy like a wizard. Maybe a Ring of Protection +1 and a Cloak of Resistance +1. Yes, she will probably be the best geared and most awesome 1st level wizard ever, but if she's going to solo this, she will need it.

5) Keeping things running smoothly. Perhaps the single most frustrating and annoying thing in being the sole player is if you are out of ideas, you are stuck. You have no other players to discuss things with, no other ideas. In cases like this you need to make sure that you somehow provide the right nudge. NPCs, especially Ameiko, can be the best way to give hints and information.

6) Save or suck. Lots of fun effects can put a single PC out of commission with a single bad die roll. Charm, sleep, dominate, hold (and in the good old days, Death Spell, Finger of Death, Disintegrate, etc. were all save or die rather than just damage). While these are not necessarily the end of a party, they are if the lone PC is affected. Avoid using them. Replace with with other effects that hinder the PC or buff the enemy.

That's all I can think of off hand.

DireRabbit
2013-04-17, 04:28 AM
Wow, thanks! I'll certainly discuss the buffs and a foe-taunting tag-along with her.
As for save or suck, as I recall nothing in part one has anything like that. I'm confidant she can take the soggy river monster and other "bosses". My main concern is the goblin village and the skeletons in the cave. Should I trim their numbers a bit or could a wiz3 (and probably war2 or something as a tank) handle it?

BWR
2013-04-17, 07:36 AM
My set of Jade Regent is on loan to a friend and I can't remember the specific encounters, but I shoul think that a wiz3 plus a little tank (if you call him Lieutenant Grüber I'll kiss you) can handle it fairly well. Don't be afraid to fudge a roll or two. Always fudging to keep the PC alive kind of ruins the epic mood, but think of it more like a book: the hero stays alive until the end of the story (or at least comes back for the climax).