I STILL WATCH CARTOONS DO YOU?

WHATS YOUR FAVORITE??

Lets hear it for Spongebob Squarepants!

the geekish one
2006-11-21, 09:38 PM
Yay Sponge Bob!!!

Lykan
2006-11-21, 09:39 PM
Wow... My brain cell count just decreased reading that...

Looney Tunes. There.

Sneak
2006-11-21, 09:47 PM
I don't really watch, but if I did, then my favorite would probably be Family Guy.

And yes, Lykan, I'm with you on that one. Yes, it is possible for me to become stupider.

YesImBill
2006-11-21, 09:51 PM
Hey spungebob is god and you will bow before him!!!!

Lykan
2006-11-21, 09:54 PM
Hey spungebob is god and you will bow before him!!!!

No. I won't. I will kill him, then desecrate his corpse.

Oh yeah... Forgot about Family Guy. Though I prefer Futurama.

Lilly
2006-11-21, 09:55 PM
Off you go to Media Discussions!

Glarx
2006-11-21, 09:58 PM
Now, if you want a god, then I think this here "Lilly" is a good candidate. After all, she can MOVE THREADS FROM SUBSECTION TO SUBSECTION! All hail the moderators! Down with the false god Spongebob Squarepants! ALL HAIL BANJO THE CLOWN!

I *may* have gotten carried away.

Yossarian
2006-11-21, 10:04 PM
Looney Tunes is awesome, of course, but I haven't watched in ages.

I will confess to Cartoon Network's Venture Brothers being a guilty pleasure of mine, though.

TinSoldier
2006-11-21, 10:07 PM
My favorite will always be Batman: The Animated Series.

Second would be Animaniacs.

I watched a show this Saturday called Loonatics Unleashed and I thought that the concept had promise but the episode I saw sucked.

theKOT
2006-11-21, 10:21 PM
The simpsons. No doubt. Second is futurama. Then possibly spongebob.

Sneak
2006-11-21, 10:21 PM
Damn! Lykan, you reminded me of Futurama! The coolest show ever!

EDIT: The Simpsons used to be good, but now...not so much.

Lykan
2006-11-21, 10:23 PM
Damn! Lykan, you reminded me of Futurama! The coolest show ever!

Zoidberg is teh awesome.

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-21, 10:29 PM
Though I prefer Futurama.

Woot for Futurama!

Beleriphon
2006-11-22, 03:50 AM
Futurama, Transformers, SpongeBob Squarepants when I want a cheap laugh, Venture Bros., Robot Chicken, what else... all kinds of stuff.

Logic
2006-11-22, 04:43 AM
G.I Joe, Thundercats, Ninja Turtles (1988-1992) Beast Wars, Batman: TAS,
Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, South Park, American Dad are all great.

I personally hate Spongebob. Its a cartoon that is better enjoyed when you are not in your right mind.

Ferahgo
2006-11-22, 02:09 PM
Meh. Spongebob has ben goin' down hill in the recent episodes. I caught the movie on TV, though, and it was... suprisingly trippy. In a good way.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-22, 02:16 PM
Spongebob is.. weird...

Futurama, Simpsons, South Park. Can't think of anything else.

No, wait - most of the Marvel cartoons. Spiderman, X-men, Iron Man.

Closet_Skeleton
2006-11-22, 02:44 PM
I mostly watched the Spider-Man and X-men cartoons when I was younger. I watched a bit of Danger Mouse a while ago and Tom and Jerry always has something.

Chunklets
2006-11-22, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I'm on the Futurama bandwagon with everyone else (especially the Zoidberg fans)! IMHO the Simpsons is approaching unwatchability, although I still try to catch old episodes when they're on. Family Guy and American Dad certainly have their moments. However, if I had to pick one favourite, it would be the old Warner Bros. shorts (as a group, not any one in particular!).

Timberwolf
2006-11-22, 06:06 PM
Spongebob ? *shudder*

Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes, Pinky and the Brain and Scooby Doo (minus the malign influence of Scrappy Doo)

the geekish one
2006-11-22, 06:11 PM
In the cartoons scrappy is actually good but they made him psichotic in the movie

Krimm_Blackleaf
2006-11-22, 10:55 PM
God...there's too many...I'm a cartoon freak, so much so I plan on being an animator....so let's see.....

Invader ZIM
The Tick (the cartoon one from good ol' fox saturday mornings)
The Angry Beavers
Dexter's Lab (before it started sucking)
MOST of the things on Adult Swim (I'm not a big moral oral fan, blegh)

But I think my most favorite is deffinetly Futurama.

TinSoldier
2006-11-22, 11:09 PM
The Tick (the cartoon one from good ol' fox saturday mornings)Thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite cartoons of all time! SPOOOOON!

BDO
2006-11-23, 03:03 AM
Futurama
American Dad
Batman: TAS
Batman OTF
Johnny Bravo

Ian.of.Donald
2006-11-23, 03:09 AM
:xykon:Don't anyone forget the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy!

Logic
2006-11-23, 04:44 AM
:xykon:Don't anyone forget the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy!
My god, I hate that show.

I lump it with the other shows (like Spongebob and Fairly Odd-Parents) that an adult will only enjoy while he is partaking in activities that alter the chemistry of the brain. Since I do not engage in these activities, the shows are utterly worthless.

Ebon_Drake
2006-11-23, 08:13 AM
Ulysses 31 > everything else. Who could resist a Franco-Japanese cartoon retelling of Homer's Odyssey in space! T'was pure genius.

I may as well throw out some other classics: Defenders of the Earth, X-Men, He-Man, Thundercats, Conan, Earthworm Jim, Bucky O'Hare and probably a dozen others I've forgotten are all the stuff of legend. I think I spent far to much time watching cartoons when I was young.

Dumbledore lives
2006-11-23, 10:36 AM
Simpsons is awesome if you watch some of the older ones on DVDs, Also Futurama, American Dad, and Family Guy. I don't have cable so I rarely see any of these shows but what I have seen is awesome

Chunklets
2006-11-23, 03:15 PM
Ulysses 31 > everything else. Who could resist a Franco-Japanese cartoon retelling of Homer's Odyssey in space! T'was pure genius.

I have never encountered this show, but it does sound awesome! Is it on DVD?

I may as well throw out some other classics: Defenders of the Earth, X-Men, He-Man, Thundercats, Conan, Earthworm Jim, Bucky O'Hare and probably a dozen others I've forgotten are all the stuff of legend. I think I spent far to much time watching cartoons when I was young.

Me too. One show that had slipped my mind when I posted on this thread the other day is Battle of the Planets. Anyone here old enough to remember that one? It was a major feature of my mis-spent childhood.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-23, 03:27 PM
What, exactly, is wrong with the newer Simpsons epsiodes?

Chunklets
2006-11-23, 04:49 PM
What, exactly, is wrong with the newer Simpsons epsiodes?

Hmm. Just my opinion here, of course, but I don't find them nearly as funny or clever as the older ones. There's a mean-spiritedness, for lack of a better word, that's crept in, particularly in the character of Homer, who's basically turned into a moronic thug. I couldn't say exactly when this trend started, but I did realize one Sunday evening not long ago that I'd missed the new Simpsons episode, and that I didn't feel it was any big loss.

Ebon_Drake
2006-11-23, 08:10 PM
I have never encountered this show, but it does sound awesome! Is it on DVD?
I personally thought it was the best thing ever when I was young, although I'm not sure how well its held up to the test of time. To prove I'm not a madman, its 80s-tastic intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEJgkz_HgM) is on YouTube. After a bit of searching, I did find it on Amazon, although I don't know whether it would be worth getting without the nostalgia factor to add to it, since it was after all just a childrens' TV show. For the sake of completion though, linky. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulysses-31-Complete-Fabrice-Josso/dp/B0002FR1DC)

Chunklets
2006-11-23, 08:33 PM
I personally thought it was the best thing ever when I was young, although I'm not sure how well its held up to the test of time. To prove I'm not a madman, its 80s-tastic intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEJgkz_HgM) is on YouTube. After a bit of searching, I did find it on Amazon, although I don't know whether it would be worth getting without the nostalgia factor to add to it, since it was after all just a childrens' TV show. For the sake of completion though, linky. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ulysses-31-Complete-Fabrice-Josso/dp/B0002FR1DC)

Lovely, thanks for the links! I will investigate further (I'm interested in seeing how the show handles the original homeric story).

Ian.of.Donald
2006-11-24, 01:34 AM
My god, I hate that show.

I lump it with the other shows (like Spongebob and Fairly Odd-Parents) that an adult will only enjoy while he is partaking in activities that alter the chemistry of the brain. Since I do not engage in these activities, the shows are utterly worthless.

While I do agree that Spongebob and the Fairie parents shows are lame, Grim Adventures is actually a pretty fine cartoon. Maxwell Atoms aludes to many cult classics of literature and film, and the humor - and animation - take many of their inspirations from Ren and Stimpy (a classic)!!

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-24, 02:42 PM
While I do agree that Spongebob and the Fairie parents shows are lame, Grim Adventures is actually a pretty fine cartoon. Maxwell Atoms aludes to many cult classics of literature and film, and the humor - and animation - take many of their inspirations from Ren and Stimpy (a classic)!!

Agreed, I think once they did a D&D spoof too...

Jibar
2006-11-24, 03:11 PM
Plus there are those odd moments where it is all so beautifully retarded.
Such as the superhero that shoots yogurt out his arm pits.
:confused:
Anyway...

Batman: The Animated Series.
The Batman.
Those classic 90s Marvel cartoons. Always loved the Secret War in the Spiderman cartoon.
Duck Tales. One of the greatest shows ever conceived. Scrooge McDuck is a cartoon god. Worship him.
Futurama of course.
Family Guy has some great moments.
Scooby Doo, minus that little *insert every possible insult ever* Scrappy.
I also remember one really random anime cartoon on when I was younger. It had a bunch of pizza delivery cats that ran around in robot suits and fought ninjas with pizza themed weaponry. That show was awesome.
I have some really random memories of Thundercats.
Powerpuff Girls. Haven't watched it for years. But the early episodes were awesome.
Transformers.

And those are all I can think of right now.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-24, 06:21 PM
Top Cat- The episodes I can remember seeing weren't bad.
Tom & Jerry was good. Not the newer ones where they talk, those aren't as good.
Looney tunes is good.
Dexter's Lab, I quite like that show.

Ian.of.Donald
2006-11-24, 09:03 PM
Thinking on this subject, I'm kind of suprised no one has talked about Avatar: the Last Airbender. Aside from being marketed towards pre-teens, this is one of the better catoons on the air right now. The animation is top notch, the basis for the different kinds of 'bending' are all based heavily on actual martial arts, the characters are visceral and dynamic (for a cartoon) and most of all its pretty funny.

Beleriphon
2006-11-25, 01:18 AM
I also remember one really random anime cartoon on when I was younger. It had a bunch of pizza delivery cats that ran around in robot suits and fought ninjas with pizza themed weaponry. That show was awesome.

That would be Samurai Pizza Cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats).

Jibar
2006-11-25, 03:31 AM
That would be Samurai Pizza Cats (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Pizza_Cats).

Hooray!
I loved that show...
*thinks about finding DvD somewhere*

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-25, 03:36 AM
Thinking on this subject, I'm kind of suprised no one has talked about Avatar: the Last Airbender. Aside from being marketed towards pre-teens, this is one of the better catoons on the air right now. The animation is top notch, the basis for the different kinds of 'bending' are all based heavily on actual martial arts, the characters are visceral and dynamic (for a cartoon) and most of all its pretty funny.

Yeah, I saw a few episodes of that, I'd pretty much agree with what you say.

What about Invader Zim?
Samurai Pizza Cats, while sounding.. stupid, actually seems pretty good.

Alarra
2006-11-25, 11:20 AM
The only cartoon I currently watch is venture brothers. I do love that show.

Alysar
2006-11-26, 12:09 AM
Futurama
Samurai Jack
Justice League (and Unlimited)

All these rock! :smallcool:

MrsbwcMD
2006-11-26, 10:11 PM
God...there's too many...I'm a cartoon freak, so much so I plan on being an animator....so let's see.....

Invader ZIM
The Tick (the cartoon one from good ol' fox saturday mornings)
The Angry Beavers
Dexter's Lab (before it started sucking)
MOST of the things on Adult Swim (I'm not a big moral oral fan, blegh)

But I think my most favorite is deffinetly Futurama.

Thanks for reminding me of Invader Zim and The Tick! Great cartoons that I haven't seen in a while.
I now know how old I am when I can remember that the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was my favorite cartoon in middle/high school, and I loved Rainbow Brite, GI Joe, He-man, She-ra, Thundercats, Transformers, and the Smurfs when I was a little younger. Yikes!

ZombieRockStar
2006-11-26, 10:19 PM
Family Guy, Futurama, the odd South Park episode, the usual.

I miss Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.

I own as much Looney Tunes as is humanly possible. The "classic classics" (like, from the 30's) are my favourite ones.

And *meek* I do enjoy the occasional Fairly Oddparents episode. Go away. I'm not interested in your arguments.

As far as the Simpsons goes, has anyone else noticed a very slight, almost imperceptible change in the artwork since the 3rd season or so? (Don't count the first two seasons) It just seems more...grotesque. The smiles are too wide, the eyes are too bright, the bodies are too round.

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-27, 03:15 PM
I thought the artwork had got better, recently. More realistic(for that style of cartoon).

My name is Decken, and I sometimes like Fairly Odd Parents.
:tongue:

Telonius
2006-11-27, 04:24 PM
For cartoons of the Saturday Morning variety, Gargoyles was one of the best; Mighty Max was awesome, too. X-Men, Spiderman, Batman: the animated series, were all good too.

Been trying to find a DVD of this obscure French/Japanese cartoon called "The Seven Cities of Gold." It was on (I think) Nickelodeon way back in the 80s. I wish they'd re-release it, the only copies my Google-fu has been able to come up with are quasi-legal.

Alysar
2006-11-27, 05:07 PM
For cartoons of the Saturday Morning variety, Gargoyles was one of the best; Mighty Max was awesome, too. X-Men, Spiderman, Batman: the animated series, were all good too.

May we assume that you are talking about the X-Men cartoon from the early 90s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%28TV_series%29), and not X-Men: Evolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men:_Evolution) (which kinda sucked).

Ditto for Spiderman.

grassy
2006-11-27, 05:17 PM
I'm sorry, spongebob no longer exists, I burned him at the stake.

WampaX
2006-11-27, 05:21 PM
Been trying to find a DVD of this obscure French/Japanese cartoon called "The Seven Cities of Gold." It was on (I think) Nickelodeon way back in the 80s. I wish they'd re-release it, the only copies my Google-fu has been able to come up with are quasi-legal.
I'm guessing you are talking about this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mysterious_Cities_of_Gold)?

I'll also throw in my hat for anything out of the DCAU (from Batman to JLU)

Saithis Bladewing
2006-11-27, 05:28 PM
I still watch cartoons with pride.

I'm shocked one of my favourites hasn't been mentioned though...

Let's see what I've got:

Family Guy
Johnny Bravo
Dexter's Laboratory
Ren & Stimpy
Transformers
The Tick
Invader Zim
Classic Looney Toons
Tom & Jerry

bosssmiley
2006-11-28, 09:45 AM
Futurama, Family Guy, Dangermouse, Samurai Jack, the immortal flawless genius of Megas XLR (slackers + giant robots + parodies of every old Saturday morning cartoon you loved) and, believe it or not, Kim Possible.

I also have a bizarre love of "Tiny Planets (http://www.tinyplanets.com/)" with Bing and Bong and their giant sofa-lobbing space catapult. Such cartoons are wasted on the young! Wasted I say! :smallcool:

Telonius
2006-11-28, 10:45 AM
Yes and yes, to Alysar and WampaX.

TinSoldier
2006-11-28, 08:03 PM
Am I the only person who really doesn't like Family Guy or South Park?

I've watched them on DVD (when I was with Army buddies) and I got quite a few laughs out of them. When I try to watch them at home on TV, however, I cringe. Even when the wife and kids aren't in the room. They just aren't very funny and they get downright offensive sometimes.

I was never interested in watching American Dad so I've never seen it. I still don't plan on watching it either.

Alysar
2006-11-28, 08:58 PM

I've watched them on DVD (when I was with Army buddies) and I got quite a few laughs out of them. When I try to watch them at home on TV, however, I cringe. Even when the wife and kids aren't in the room. They just aren't very funny and they get downright offensive sometimes.

I was never interested in watching American Dad so I've never seen it. I still don't plan on watching it either.

I never got into Family Guy. I've just seen some clips on youtube. It's sort of funny, but mostly kind of dumb.

I used to like South Park when it was new, but it lost something along the way. I think one big mistake they made was doing more elaborate animation. More variety of poses and even *gasp* CGI! In the beginning, the stories usually had some kind of social commentary, cleverly hidden behind layers of crudeness and intentional stupidity. But these days it's just sort of old. They keep trying to outdo themselves, and eventually the camoflaged intelligence just can't be found any more, if it's even still there.

Warlord
2006-11-30, 01:18 AM
Yup, still watchin' those toons. While Spongebob is great for that mind-numbing funny, The Tick is way better for better quality humour.

For a more mature set of concepts, I go for Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. There's real grit to the content. Love it.

The Orange Zergling
2006-11-30, 03:45 AM

Some SP episodes are funny, but I havent really seen enough to give a good review. I dont like Family Guy either, though. Futurama FTW.

I admit, I really loved Megas XLR until I lost track of what channel it's on and what time it's on...

Captain van der Decken
2006-11-30, 04:25 PM
I quite liked that. Isn't it Cartoon Network?

Mr._Wilson
2006-12-01, 05:42 AM
I'll watch Robot Chicken, Sealab 2021, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Futurama, South Park, Family Guy, and Drawn Together of all the cartoons that currently air.

Back in the day, I'd watch GI Joe, Animaniacs, and TMNT.

Reinforcements
2006-12-01, 11:55 AM
I think what makes Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob good is that they're completely unpretentious. I don't watch them much any more, but I always thought the creators/writers were just having fun. I mean, come on, a superhero called The Crimson Chin voiced by Jay Leno?

It's a shame Invader Zim was cancelled. It never really should have been on Nickelodeon - "Dark Harvest" was frikkin' creepy. I also dearly miss Samurai Jack, Megas XLR and yes, Teen Titans. I think I somehow managed to miss almost every good episode of Justice League and Unlimited (hint: every episode prominently featuring Wonder Woman sucks). Also, RIP Sealab 2021 and Harry Goz.

I will give a shout out to Avatar and Venture Bros. This is good stuff. Also in the category of "surprisingly good" is Kim Possible. Seriously.

In closing, Genndy Tartaskofsky is my hero.

Jibar
2006-12-01, 12:21 PM
There is a teacher in my school who sticks his chin out so much, we have named him the Crimson Chin.
We even do the theme song and the little sayings whenever the guy passes.
"By my mother's mandible!"
"Here coooomes, the Crimson Chiiiin!"

Yeah. When they came up with Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, they had to be doing something.

Alysar
2006-12-01, 12:36 PM
I think what makes Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob good is that they're completely unpretentious. I don't watch them much any more, but I always thought the creators/writers were just having fun. I mean, come on, a superhero called The Crimson Chin voiced by Jay Leno?

Jay Leno does the voice of the Crimson Chin? Now that is funny!

I don't watch it much either, but what I love are the Oddparents/Jimmy Neutron crossovers, with characters from one show done in the style of the other, which is is doubly cool since Jimmy Neutron is done in CGI.