PDA

View Full Version : Nature of the Beast: a System (in progress) of Politicking and Nation-Building

Omnicrat
2013-04-17, 05:23 AM
So, after seeing the political nightmare thread, and loving the concept but not the direction he seemed to want to go with it, I decided to make a system of my own.

Here is the basic idea, a fair amount of which is subject to change. If something has (path X) next to it, X being a number, that means its one way of two or more ways I'm thinking about doing stuff related to anything else with the same numeral.

The World

The world is small. Either physically or just with regard to the number of nations. I'm thinking maybe 10 nations in the whole world, none with their base on the far continent of [PC Nation]. Maybe twice as many tribes and chiefdoms around the world.
(path 1) There are only humans in the world.
(path 2) There are several races, all specializations of a central race (mongrelfolk, tweaked). The ones that went into the northern desert became either dwarves (a relatively small group) or [to be decided] (larger group). The ones who went further north became Humans. The one that went to the east became elves. The ones that went to the far continent (where the game takes place) became Orcs in the north and hobgoblins in the south.
(path 2) The current dominant region is the Human north, which has colonized the far continent. At this time, there is little interaction between the elves, dwarves and [to be decided], and Humans. Humans use transplanted mongrelfolk as slaves, and see all others as inferiors (as a general rule). Note: No stats reflect this.
Based on the model for D&D rules reflecting reality, the highest level anyone ever gets to is 5. Maybe one level 6 happens in the whole game, but they would be one of the greatest people in the history of everything ever.
(path 1) Magic is different and much more primitive, being more indicative of actual technology and technological progress than how magic functions in typical D&D.
(path 2) Magic is different and much more primitive, excelling in some areas much faster than other when compared to reality, but on the whole closer to technology than how magic functions in typical D&D.
The approximate equivalent era for tech and culture would be mid to late 1700s, and would advance from there.

The Story

The people of [PC Nation] have just gained their independence form [NPC Nation 1] with the direct help of [NPC Nation 2] and indirect help of [NPC Nation 3].
Each player represents one political faction in charge of individual provinces of [PC Nation]
At the start of the game, the players decide on a constitution for the nation to be run by.
The natives are not too happy about having to live inside the borders of of an authority they do not recognize. There is also the matter of expansion across the continent.

The Mechanics

The people of the world are D&D characters, kind of. They will most likely use my knack system (linked below). Probably only general knacks.
(path 3) Magic comes from feats. (need to work out specifics)
(path 4) Magic comes from skill checks. (need to work out specifics)
Each turn represents a year, subdivided into 52 rounds.
Political factions forming at the start of the game have to "draft" issue stances. There will be multiples of the same stance in the draft pool, but each player can select a specific stance only once and can have no contradictory stances.
As issues arise and situations change, parties may take stances on new issues or change stances on old ones. Be careful not to alienate your voter-base when doing this.
Some NPCs will be blindly loyal to parties, some to certain stances, while others will be more complex and need persuading.
Some means of determining what level/"class"/stance NPCs are likely to have
(path 2) A very nerfed form of gramarie can exist eventually and may exist already. No yggdratecture!

And that's what I have so far. I look forward to input!

knacks: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253278

Omnicrat
2013-04-17, 03:44 PM
I was too tired to reserve posts for possible expansion last night.

Omnicrat
2013-04-17, 04:25 PM
I was too tired to reserve posts for possible expansion last night. And posts have to say different stuff.

Malachi Lemont
2013-04-17, 04:51 PM
I'm glad you liked my idea. You're right -this does sound like a different sort of game from mine, more focused on D&D. But I'll probably try playing this one to get some sort of ideas for my game. Nice work.

And did we both use Orcs as natives? - I guess I could have tried for more originality....oh well.

In your game, are any of the races more privileged than others? Which ones? In my game, the chain of privilege basically goes
Elves --> Gnomes --> Dwarves --> Humans --> Orcs

Omnicrat
2013-04-17, 05:11 PM
I just realized in my tiredness I forgot to include the following, which I edited in:

(path 2) The current dominant region is the Human north, which has colonized the far continent. At this time, there is little interaction between the elves, dwarves and [to be decided], and Humans. Humans use transplanted mongrelfolk as slaves, and see all others as inferiors (as a general rule). Note: No stats reflect this.

So that. But, this is only if we go with path 2, which is a bit more magical, a bit less strict to reality. In path 1 the only race is humans. You still are a newly independent colony on the far continent from an imperial power and have to deal with natives, but everyone is human.

Omnicrat
2013-04-18, 08:18 PM
Alright, so here are some of the general mechanics I've begun developing for this system. Its mostly not actually new mechanics, but ways of dealing with the en mass nature of Nature of the Beast.

The government or party can employ 20 individuals of equal skill bonus to complete a skill check. This gives the effect of taking 20 but without the time increase. However, you now have 20 results, and it may not be clear which one is the natural 20. While outright failures may be obvious, there will still most likely be at least a few that are not clearly the best. Some may even be outright bad, but not be clearly so on a cursory glance. It is up to the PC to find a way to determine which is the 20 and implement it. Alternatively, you could pay one person (of possibly higher skill) the same amount as the 20 people to have one clearly good result, but that takes 20 times as long in a worst (or best, depending on ones choice) case scenario. Also, there is a percentage chance (to be determined later) that someone paid to take 20 simply does not do so. This chance will increase by 1% for every person who gets away with it and decreases by 1% (or more, depending on the punishment) for every person publicly caught and reprimanded for doing so, whether they actually failed to take 20 or not.

edit: In case it wasn't clear, I would like to know your opinion on this.