PDA

View Full Version : Little advice needed please

Zeikstraal
2013-04-17, 07:48 AM
Hello playground,

I'm about to start a new Pathfinder campaign, and everything is going well.
Now there is one player, who will play a cleric of the Earth Deity, who wants to play an Elemental Archon from Faiths and Pantheons. (Deity book of Forgotten Reals) Normally, we don't allow 3.5, just what is on the pfsrd. Now I'm not so harsh in it, and it's fine. I even switched the prerequisits a bit so it is easier accassible for Clerics.
But now he asks me to switch the whole Acid Resistance up, replace it with something else, as he also gets it from the Earth domain. Now i looked it up, and turns out, he doesnt get the Acid Resistance from the Eart domain till level 6, and he told me that at level 6, he will take his first level in Elemental Archon. So he doesn't have to worry about it till 16, and I don't think the campaign will last that long. But he still wants it to be changed, and he does not want to take a sub-Domain, wich will trade away the resistance for another abillity.
My initial reaction is; Suck it, make a choice, you know what you get with that class. But I also want the players to have a character that they want.

I'm not sure what to do now? Can the playground come with some help??:smallsmile:

BWR
2013-04-17, 07:55 AM
You've already said that you don't want to go beyond PF, and he wrangled his way to some non-PF. Then you made it easier for him.
Honestly, I don't really see that he has much of a case.

It's tempting to say that it's not a problem to make a few small changes like this, but then you are setting a dangerous precedent. What happens the next time someone wants something non-PF? Do you tell them 'no' and get 'but you let him do so' or do you allow everything people come up with. If the rule is 'no non-PF', think very carefully before breaking it.
Consistency might be the hobgoblin of little minds, but it makes adjucating rules a lot easier.

Hyde
2013-04-17, 08:43 AM
What's the "something else"?

Nohwl
2013-04-17, 08:57 AM
if he is saying that it's not going to be a problem until 16, tell him you'll deal with it then. since you don't plan on having the game last until 16, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Zeikstraal
2013-04-17, 10:09 AM
@ BWR, It's more of a general agreement by the whole group, whoever is the DM. For myself I don't mind the 3.5 stuff as long as they ask and it's not for cheese.

@ Hyde, I don't know what the "something else" is, I have not give it much thought yet. I know he had something in mind, but he forgot the last time I spoke to him.

@ Nohwl, Have mailed him that. Waiting for a response.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-17, 11:42 AM
Is the rest of the group fine with there being exceptions to the non-PF rule?

You should check with them first before going through with it.

If they are fine with it, then what is the reason he doesn't want a sub-domain if it's replacing the very thing he's asking to be replaced?

As for the Level 16 plan, warn him ahead of time you don't think the campaign will last to that point and he may not be able to pull off the concept he wants.

Zeikstraal
2013-04-17, 12:13 PM
@ Gwazi Magnum, The rest of the group is fine with it as long as they dont pull of Pun Pun's etc.

He thinks the sub-domain is crappy.
And now that I write this, I see how stupid this is. I think I've made up my mind, I'm not going to change anything.

If you think I made the wrong choice, feel free to tell me :smallbiggrin:

OzymandiasX
2013-04-17, 12:33 PM
Feel free to tell him no and that it doesn't fit into the campaign world you will be running.

There are plenty of options for him to play... and if he REALLY needs to have several exceptions to the rules made for him in order to have fun, he sounds like a bit of a munchkin, imo. Munchkin games can be fun, too, just you should really decide whether you want to run a munchkin game or not...

Gwazi Magnum
2013-04-17, 12:47 PM
@ Gwazi Magnum, The rest of the group is fine with it as long as they dont pull of Pun Pun's etc.

He thinks the sub-domain is crappy.
And now that I write this, I see how stupid this is. I think I've made up my mind, I'm not going to change anything.

If you think I made the wrong choice, feel free to tell me :smallbiggrin:

Glad I could help

Feel free to tell him no and that it doesn't fit into the campaign world you will be running.

There are plenty of options for him to play... and if he REALLY needs to have several exceptions to the rules made for him in order to have fun, he sounds like a bit of a munchkin, imo. Munchkin games can be fun, too, just you should really decide whether you want to run a munchkin game or not...

Being a bit of a Munchkin myself I'm unsure of how much I want to agree with this.

Expecially since a lot of the time I look for alterations it's to create character concepts that is actually crippiling my character over all that d&d doesn't encompass so I look for variants to either:

a) Make such a concept possible
b) Strengthen said concept to the point they're still competent

However because I do have my munchkin times people in my group automatically assume I'm trying to squeeze more stats off rather than make a non stereo-typical d&d character that's actually interesting.

Zeikstraal
2013-04-17, 01:33 PM
He is not much of a munchkin to be honest, as a matter of fact, he accuses me of optimizing my fighters in a game where everyone else is playing casters.:smallbiggrin:

Thanks for the help everyone, next time I speak him I'll tell him that I'm not gonna change it.