PDA

View Full Version : ACFs for monsters

yougi
2013-04-17, 11:56 AM
As I've said before on these forums, I love refluffing monsters: if I need the stats for a light armored fighter-type, I'd use a Tiger's stats and refluff it as a large goatman dual wielding axes (explaining the three attack, going from bite-claw-claw to gore-axe-axe); if I need a spellcasting monster, I'd use the stats for a Naga and describe it as having the lower body of a wolf, a goblinoid upper body and long fangs. I do that all the time. However, I'd like to vary my monsters a bit, give them some more interesting things, like templates do, but without changing their power level, like ACFs do for characters. It could also help those who create their own monsters.

My plan was to make a tiered list of abilities, where you could switch from one ability to another of the same tier without altering the monster's power. Also part of my plan was maybe a way to change a creature's type without changing it's power: what do I need to add/substract from this creature to make it (for example) monstrous humanoid instead of outsider, without changing its power level.

Now I've typed power level too many times in a short window, so I have to state that this power level is evaluated to be over 9000.

Back to business. This post has three goals: first, to ask if you believe this is a worthwhile use of someone's time (i.e. would you use it); second, to ask if you believe it is doable (and if not, why); third, if you'd be willing to help me during this project, as I lack the system mastery to balance these things on my own.