PDA

View Full Version : Dragon disciple

Azif13
2013-04-17, 12:12 PM
So yesterday I thought about a build for a Dragon disciple. The first time I play D&D 3.5 I played a sorcerer 'casue I wanted to get levels in Dragon disciple (I was young and impressionable). Remebering old times, I checked the dragon disciple in PF and liked the boost it has received. I think it could be nice to make a close combat build with helping spells and I'd like to have a high Intimidate check. So far I've got three ideas: Sorcerer 5/DD xx, Sorcerer 3/Paladin 2/ DD xx (for Divine grace) and Sorcerer 3/ Barbarian 2/DD xx (rage and rage power intimidating glare). I guess the purchase for abilities would be Str > Cha > Dex > Con > Int > Wis. My questions are:

1. From the 3 ideas, which one you like the most? Have thought another one that could be better?
2. Which feats and spells would you take?

Thank You!

EDIT: High intimidate check would be for pure sorcerer or sorcerer/barbarian, sorcerer/paladin would be high diplomacy check.

Zeikstraal
2013-04-17, 12:30 PM
Have you ever looked into Bard/ Dragon Disciple? I think it's way more effective for close combat. Bard also has more combat orientated archtypes, wich might suit your needs.

Deathkeeper
2013-04-17, 12:34 PM
Well, if you don't want to focus on casting, believe it or not MoMS can really help, because Dragon Style/Ferocity can seriously boost damage if you pick Human and can burn WF and Feral Combat Training. Heck, you could even go Sorc1/Pally2/MoMS2/DD?? for an armored, self-healing super-punching DD. Not necessarily optimal, but it's cool.
Regardless, what you want to do in terms of spell/hitting will affect your build.
Also, if you want to use claws Cross-blooded with Abyssal will help with Str and more claws.

Azif13
2013-04-17, 01:04 PM
Have you ever looked into Bard/ Dragon Disciple? I think it's way more effective for close combat. Bard also has more combat orientated archtypes, wich might suit your needs.

Actually, I like more the sorcerer for this purpose.

Well, if you don't want to focus on casting, believe it or not MoMS can really help, because Dragon Style/Ferocity can seriously boost damage if you pick Human and can burn WF and Feral Combat Training. Heck, you could even go Sorc1/Pally2/MoMS2/DD?? for an armored, self-healing super-punching DD. Not necessarily optimal, but it's cool.
Regardless, what you want to do in terms of spell/hitting will affect your build.
Also, if you want to use claws Cross-blooded with Abyssal will help with Str and more claws.

I like the crossblooded idea, but the claws I get from the abyssal bloodline won't improved with level since I won't get lots of elves in sorcerer, am I wrong?

Regarding the MoMS, I won't take benefit from the flurry of blows since I alredy do 2 attacks with the claws and a level 2 monk just have 2 attacks using flurry of blows and won't improve with level and I don't understand why a need the archetype instead of using just the Monk, ferocity is not a combat style, isn't it? Well, thanks for the ideas ^^

Deathkeeper
2013-04-17, 01:30 PM

I like the crossblooded idea, but the claws I get from the abyssal bloodline won't improved with level since I won't get lots of elves in sorcerer, am I wrong?

Regarding the MoMS, I won't take benefit from the flurry of blows since I alredy do 2 attacks with the claws and a level 2 monk just have 2 attacks using flurry of blows and won't improve with level and I don't understand why a need the archetype instead of using just the Monk, ferocity is not a combat style, isn't it? Well, thanks for the ideas ^^

The Dragon Disciple stacks with Sorcerer levels for sorcerer bloodline powers, RAW it counts for both. Plus Robes of Arcane Heritage can really help me out.
And MoMS can get you 2 Combat Style Feats in 2 levels unlike Monk which takes 3 levels. Plus MoMS lets you ignore prerequisites, so with 2 levels you have Dragon Style and Ferocity without all those prerequisites.

Gerrtt
2013-04-17, 01:33 PM

I won't get lots of elves in sorcerer, am I wrong?

Yeah, elves are more likely to be wizards.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Azif13
2013-04-17, 02:00 PM
Ok... that was a typo XD

It's true "A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline." but I don't know if a lot fo DM's would allow this. Anyway, still a very good idea and now I get the MoMS thing. I'll give a thouht, thanks!

EDIT: if I take abyssal would I be allowed to play lawful good? I'm not quite comfotable with it :$

Deathkeeper
2013-04-17, 03:12 PM
Ok... that was a typo XD

It's true "A dragon disciple adds his level to his sorcerer levels when determining the powers gained from his bloodline." but I don't know if a lot fo DM's would allow this. Anyway, still a very good idea and now I get the MoMS thing. I'll give a thought, thanks!

EDIT: if I take abyssal would I be allowed to play lawful good? I'm not quite comfortable with it :$

Well, the point is the abyssal claws would just be so that you still get to keep your natural weapons, the slight drop in damage might not hurt you too much. The real bonus is the Abyssal Strength at level 9
And I don't know, I like the idea of someone who's part Metallic dragon and demon on the other side, and forces himself into Lawfulness as a means of controlling his darker urges.

Azif13
2013-04-17, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I saw the the strenght boost too and I think it is really an edge. Not getting the 3rd level power of the draconic bloodline in order to pick the abyssal claws hurts a little, but not much.

I like the idea of "controlling my demonic urges", it will be great to roleplay it.

Deathkeeper
2013-04-17, 03:28 PM
You're going to want to ask your GM about the cross-blooded though, and whether or not you can level it as DD and if using Abyssal claws counts for the "gain bite attack when claws are active" class feature.
And again, remember that the Robes of Arcane Heritage are a must if you're multiclassing a lot.

Azif13
2013-04-17, 03:41 PM
I'll take into account the robes, thx!