View Full Version : Super Soldier

Threadnaught
2013-04-17, 02:33 PM
I've been thinking about the idea of a gestalt of Monk/Barbarian for a while and how awesome both classes' abilities could synergize, but Alignment restrictions would kick in if I attempted this in my own or many other DMs' games.

Unfortunately for me, but not quite for my players, I am enforcing Alignments to a degree. Both characters started out as Neutral (on the Law/Chaos axis) and have been played as such the whole way through, but they've also been played as mostly Good, not a bad thing for the Wizard as there is no risk of a change for him (he's been NG the whole time), but the Druid is getting close to a shift and I'm gonna be checking over the spell selection to find out if it affects him.

Anything you guys think I could throw against a level 9-10 Wizard and a level 9-10 Druid, which would challenge them, without necessarily using magic?

Just something they've been likely to encounter before, but far stronger than they could imagine. I want it to be something they could easily take care of at level 15, but would be insanely difficult at their current level.

Op level: Wizard has recently learned to prepare Fly, he's also begun to cut down on his blaster spam preparation. The Druid (that ******* Druid) has been labelled a munchkin by some members of the playground. He consults the Druid handbook regularly.

It would also help if it was a living opponent rather than a form of Undead, they've fought too many Undead so far and I need to shake things up.

Miriad
2013-04-17, 02:48 PM
I've always seen Maug as the best representation of a soldier. Look them up in Fiend Folio. They are 2 racial HD +3 LA.

Feralventas
2013-04-17, 03:55 PM
"Well, I'd like the brutality and raw strength of a Barbarian, while combining it with the finesse of a Monk, while having abilities that will challenge a Wizard and Druid, two of the most powerful and utility-heavy classes in the game that would normally wreck such a thing."

Let me tell you about the Warblade.

You'll need to give this soldier a way to fly, and to see invisibility. Either through template, race, or a minor amount of magic items will be enough to handle this to a small degree.

After that, you'll want to look at the Iron Heart discipline of maneuvers first, for two maneuvers in particular. Iron Heart Surge is an immediate action ability to ignore one debuff or effect of Any Type that will last more than one round. The other is Wall of Blades, which allows you to replace your AC with the result of an Attack roll; this works for Any type of attack, including things like Disintegration rays or orbs of energy.

Then you'll want to look to the Diamond Mind school of maneuvers so that you can use your Concentration check in place of a save; this will be very important in shoring up a weak save, usually Will; Warblades of a decent level get Int to Reflex among other things, and good Fortitude saves.

Now then, you can regain all of your warblade's maneuvers after using them with a standard action. This means that unless your 'casters spam the same thing over and over, they'll only Need these effects once for each spell, and can refresh them quickly if needed to deal with similar but different effects as the players try different things to get around these unexpectedly resilient "fighters".

Finally, grab the Mage Slayer line of feats so that your 'casters can't cast defensively, and Martial Study (Any Devoted Spirit maneuver) then Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades) so that if these Super Soldiers get close, your casters can't 5ft away to withdraw without being punished for it either.

Hanuman
2013-04-17, 04:07 PM
Warforged, or supersoldier would be the non-racial warforged (terrifying).